FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Anybody noticed if the AI changes tactics/formation? They go all out attack from 80 onwards if they're losing, right?

That was one of the most annoying features in 13; CPU would ALWAYS pressure and cheat you to death in last 5 min when loosing.
In 14 I had Manchester pressure me while I was winning and they scored but it was not cheating and pressure was realistic.
On the other hand, west ham did not pressure me while loosing 0:2. They just surrendered.

So the feature is still there but more tweaked to realism, huh?

Btw, any mid-game formation changes? I, for once in the demo, saw the CPU switch wingers and employ different tactics during a match. Over at Soccergaming forums, team traits have already been identified. Great year for FIFA and modding.

So far I enjoy the gameplay, although I think the computer puts too much pressure on you, giving you too little time to act (on World Class).

But Career Mode is the only mode I play and they totally ruined that for me, taking all the fun out of it with the horrible atrocity that is the Global Transfer Network. I'm a ratings junkie and I used to loved moulding my own team by bringing in new players, comparing their stats and watching them grow. But now in Fifa 14 everybody is suddenly unknown? It takes far too much time to scout every possible new player, it's no fun at all and furthermore the whole concept is ridiculous, since we're talking about well-known players here, so there would be no need to scout them in the first place! "Yeah, we've found a possible new winger for your team, his name is Arjen Robben. We have no idea what he can do, but we'll have more information for you in 15 days." What is that about?

I would have loved to see them improve the search system, so that you can find left-footed players for instance, or players with at least three star weak foot. But instead they hide everybody's stats.

It amazes me that I haven't seen numerous complaints about this already, to be honest. I've seen a few, but I would have expected everybody to hate this new feature with as much intensity as I do.

I haven't played CM yet but I welcome the global transfer network. It makes it harder and a bit more realistic imo which is nice (From what I have heard)

But you are right if they are well known players you should see more of their stats from the get go, that seems stupid and unnecessary.

Who knows when I play it I might hate it, but I liked it in Football Manager, so I am sure I will like it here.

They need to do it in stages of seeing attributes.

So if the player is in League 2 in France (And you are in the English Prem), then more scouting is needed. If the player plays for Atletico Madrid and is a first team player, then more stats are visable. Even more so if you are playing in the top division in Spain. (If you are an English Prem team then you see less stats for that player, but you still see some etc).

All youngsters unless well known will need extra scouting etc. I don't think it would be too hard to do :PP but this is a step in the right direction for me :-)

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

FIFA 14 dethrones GTA V? Gotta be kidding me.

Anyway, EA deserves it this year though, taking an approach towards simulation.

Hate that players still moan that they're on the sub bench a few days before a match. As if I'm going to re do my frigging team every day that passes!?

Stamina needs work. There is almost no need to rotate players because their stamina regenerates too easily. Waiting for the Exocyst mod from soccergamin to fix that.
Commentary is weird: they said in one match 5 times that my GK is in form.
Also, they repeat in almost every match same story of Southampton and Portsmouth financial problems.

There are only 2 or 3 things I think need 'fixing' and this could be the first football game that lasts the full year for me:

1. Tackling the CPU is weird. Whether it's the slide tackle that is clearly scripted not to succeed sometimes, or the useless 'standing tackle' button that the CPU can dance around with ANYONE, the only way to play defensively is to contain. Which is okay, but it feels over-powered to me, while open field, one on one duels shouldn't be so impossible.

2. Passes in the air don't slow down when the hit the turf. This is absolutely ridiculous - almost a bug for me. Have EA never kicked a ball/watched the sport? Long passes are useless for me because unless your player controls it in the air (which is almost impossible given how low high passes are and defenders ability to head it out) the ball runs out of play. It forces you to play in a predictable way, because you can't mix it up with long passes. I really hope they know about this, and aren't using it a 'fix' to some fundamental problem with long passing.

3. I still find shooting a bit 'scripty'. It seems at times that no matter what I do in a brilliant situation my shot will still hit the CPU keeper. Probably has to be that way to keep the score down, but it looks weird when the CPU keeper gets down super-humanly fast.

Still playing the demo here, and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.
Need to get a retail copy of this as soon as I can.

Been playing cm on world class with Napoli and disabled the first transfer window so the squads start the same as RL

Im 2nd in the league 4 pts behind juve.had an amazing game with Dortmund in the champions cup I had to win at their ground to go through ahead of them with arsenal they battered me all game but in the 75th minute on the counter hamsik volleyed in at the back post and I held on.

In seasons with Napoli when I won the title the manager who looked like rafa came on the pitch have to say it looked pretty bad...it was raining and his long coat looked like he was wrapped in plastic wish I took a pic lol

Still playing the demo here, and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.
Need to get a retail copy of this as soon as I can.

Also playing and enjoying the PC demo here; Game are taking their sweet time about sending my order.

I noticed something in the demo I'd never noticed before - I tried playing as Dortmund against Barcelona on World Class and they took me apart. So then I tried playing against The Red Bulls and was able to beat them fairly easily; Red Bull's passing and ball control was not on Barca's level. I hope that carries through into the game - in previous editions, I've found there isn't that much difference between playing a top of the line team and one that isn't so good.

I noticed something in the demo I'd never noticed before - I tried playing as Dortmund against Barcelona on World Class and they took me apart. So then I tried playing against The Red Bulls and was able to beat them fairly easily; Red Bull's passing and ball control was not on Barca's level. I hope that carries through into the game - in previous editions, I've found there isn't that much difference between playing a top of the line team and one that isn't so good.

It was one of the first thing I've noticed in the demo: There is much more difference in CPU play-style depending of the team. With PSG, all they do is long passes to Ibra or Cavani, Dortmund tends to use their wingers, Barcelona abuse with their Tiki-Taka, and Boca... well, Riquelme is the boss there.

PD: Between loses in Seasons :D I've made some Premiership and La Liga Adboards for PC:

QbFf1pg.jpg

oNvWg92.jpg

NNuJMjk.jpg

Last edited:

This is no biggie, but does the ball roll down the side of the pitch at Old Trafford the way it did in 12? In 13, it ends up looking like it's hovering in the air and looks a bit odd. Like I said, no biggie but might as well get it right, eh? ;)

I noticed something in the demo I'd never noticed before - I tried playing as Dortmund against Barcelona on World Class and they took me apart. So then I tried playing against The Red Bulls and was able to beat them fairly easily; Red Bull's passing and ball control was not on Barca's level.
Same here on Legendary: Playing as Boca against Dortmund resulted in me losing 5-0 and hardly having any shot at goal, playing as Milan against NY Red Bulls I managed to gather an easy 2-1 win (that all in all shows that Boca are bad but I'm not that good either) :)

Same hre on Legendary: Playing as Boca against Dortmund resulted in me losing 5-0 and hardly having any shot at goal, playing as Milan against NY Red Bulls I managed to gather an easy 2-1 win (that all in all shows that Boca are bad but I'm not that good either) :)

We're still talking the demo here? Or is there evidence of that in the full game as well?

Still on the demo, my fault for not writing it.
I'm planning to buy the full game somewhere before the half of October ;)

Getting sick of the commentary going on and on in almost EVERY game that someone (and a lot of the time 2 or 3 players) will be retiring at the end of the season.

What should yo put in for the manager name details?

It starts as Mr. Manager. If you wanted the game to refer to you correctly what should you put in?

Mr. Firstname Lastname? Thats what I done but some of the articles don't match up.

I just played against Portsmouth in the first round of the FA Cup (I'm Sheffield Wednesday of course), fielded a mix of kids and bench warmers and it was comfortable doing so, I won 2-0 but was much stronger, none of that lame underdog boosting there used to be, their passing, ball control and first touch in particular was really bad compared even to my Championship players.

World Class + All Manual + Tweaked Sliders. So I feel I'm getting to where I want to be in terms of difficulty/sliders, will probably post them tomorrow, maybe need some adjustments when I'm in the EPL with an EPL quality team, need to get promoted and strengthen first though.

At the start of the first season I wanted to sign Kačaniklić as I needed a decent LM and I like him as he's young and Swedish (I try to sign Swedish prospects), I couldn't afford him so got his international understudy (kind of) Niklas Hult, cost me about 800k or something by January he was worth around £2m, Celtic came in for him at £2.5m, I countered to £4m and they accepted, so sold him and bought Kačaniklić and a young Icelandic LW Jóhann Berg Gudmundsson as backup, with some change left over, thought that was a nice bit of business!

What should yo put in for the manager name details?

It starts as Mr. Manager. If you wanted the game to refer to you correctly what should you put in?

Mr. Firstname Lastname? Thats what I done but some of the articles don't match up.

I put firstname Dave, second name Jones.

for me I played burton in the capital cup on my other CM as Newcastle and they just would not commit forward (on world class tweaked sliders) they sat behind the ball most of the game

also I played Milan lost 1-0 as napoli very difficult game they pressed all over the pitch but I had some good chances on the break then next game I had Sassuolo and beat them 3-1 plenty of chances and they relied on long balls down the wing while sitting deep

I didnt play the other fifa games due to staying on the PS2 pes versions so I cant compare but there is a decent level of difference between teams not perfect by all means but noticable

for me I played burton in the capital cup on my other CM as Newcastle and they just would not commit forward (on world class tweaked sliders) they sat behind the ball most of the game

also I played Milan lost 1-0 as napoli very difficult game they pressed all over the pitch but I had some good chances on the break then next game I had Sassuolo and beat them 3-1 plenty of chances and they relied on long balls down the wing while sitting deep

I didnt play the other fifa games due to staying on the PS2 pes versions so I cant compare but there is a decent level of difference between teams not perfect by all means but noticable

It's good to see you are enjoying FIFA, SerieALegends. Likewise I have stuck with PS2 PES games but I really want to get into FIFA this year. Reading posts from a 'PS2 PES' man like myself has given me the hope that I will enjoy it too.

I will keep you guys posted on my CM, should be coming in the post tomorrow :). Oh I mean today :YAWN: zzz

i know geeeeee its hard to move away from the PS2 classics as they are so playable but after PES 14 proved to be such an unfinished game I brought FIFA aswell and it has suprised me alot its a great game

my advice would be to play at a high level setting like world class and adjust the sliders they really make a difference, the game has its slight niggles but overall its easily in the top 3 best football games I have ever played i dont think that is an over the top statement.

OK The AI could be improved to vary play a bit more but not a major change and getting free kicks from fouls is very very rare it has to be a bug I have not had a free kick for 5 games :CONFUSE: hopefully a patch will fix that,apart from that I wish I got it on PC for the mods

look forward to hearing what you think of it as a ps2 man yourself

Last edited:

I'm with SerieALegends in terms of team traits. They vary their attack and movement accordingly. No more Stokelona. They know they've got to depend on long balls.

I'm with SerieALegends in terms of team traits. They vary their attack and movement accordingly. No more Stokelona. They know they've got to depend on long balls.

I honestly see little to no difference between teams (on World Class, tweaked sliders).

I've tried experimenting with setting player run sliders for CPU high or very low (0 !!) and experimenting with line height but honestly teams like Juve/Man C/Man U/Real/Bayern play a very generic 'possession' game and I see virtually no player/team individuality.

What team personality and what traits are you seeing? I remember one of the previous FIFA's had rather lame 'team traits' but it was in a very limited state and was implemented poorly. I wonder if the code the guys at soccergaming are seeing is just vestige from earlier titles. I did some ini editing for FIFA over the years and the last couple of years ini editing had very minimal changes to gameplay, and the only way to consistently change CPU behavior was via large DB edits.

I'm not trying to troll, although I have a preference in PES over the years I've generally got FIFA to play online with friends and if I was 100% satisfied with PES 2014 I wouldn't have bought FIFA :D

I don't have any particular 'brand loyalty' one way or the other and am having fun with FIFA (at least until some of the bigger PES mods come out).

Back
Top Bottom