FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Guys can someone help - this driving me crazy in CM, it doesn't matter what appearance I choose for my CM touchline manager... he always is white with blond hair??? So even when I choose 'black' skin tone my manager is always the same??? Is this a glitch or is there some silly thing I have to unlock etc??

Couple of questions regarding CM for those playing it.

Have they finally managed the nearly impossible technical feat of having proper lettering, numbers and patches when your team gets promoted to the first league?

Have they fixed/sorted the amount of money you get from winning cups, finishing higher in the league etc?

Couple of questions regarding CM for those playing it.

Have they finally managed the nearly impossible technical feat of having proper lettering, numbers and patches when your team gets promoted to the first league?

Have they fixed/sorted the amount of money you get from winning cups, finishing higher in the league etc?

You can bet your arse this is down to some licencing crap: 'What - Doncaster with a Premiership patch? Not going to happen'.

Enjoying this but, hate two things so far - high through balls(ea needs to fix this) and player movement still not fluid enough. Toning down the default gameplay speed would be good too.

Apart from Global Scouting, are there any other changes to the CM?

And how are people finding GS? On paper, it might sound like fun to have to actually go out and scout players, but what's it like when you actually play it?

Self confessed PES player here.
I'm quite enjoying FIFA so far but haven't played it in a couple of years. Just looking for a few pointers if anyone could help.

Do you need to hold a button to control the ball when receiving a pass?

All my crosses go to the far side of the box where the opposite winger is regardless of what direction i push the analogue stick. What am I doing wrong?

I'm quite enjoying FIFA so far but haven't played it in a couple of years. Just looking for a few pointers if anyone could help.

All my crosses go to the far side of the box where the opposite winger is regardless of what direction i push the analogue stick. What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure whether you have to do that, but it seems to help for me. As for the crosses, maybe you're holding down the button too long?

Anyone seen the AI letting the ball go out of play so they can regroup? It was in 13 if I recall correctly.

Where did you get all you mods?
Do they all work online?

Soccergaming.com is in my opinion the most organised source.

Yes, that is the best place for mods. Graphic and sound mods work online no problem.

I've seen the AI panic and hoof the ball out of play numerous times ;)
Me too. It maybe happens too often that they panic in defense but still much better that 13.

Naah I wouldn't agree it happens too often TBH, not on World Class at least, they're really good at sniffing out the one slither of a passing lane I've accidentally left open when I'm closing them down so every time they hoof it or pass back to the keeper that's a small moral victory for me!

Easily the most annoying thing about Fifa 13 PC on the pitch for me was when the AI staged impromptu one touch training games in their own penalty area with opposition strikers lurking - has that been eradicated?

Edit: The majority of us bought Fifa 13, yes? So do you guys believe that it's £30-£40 well spent? Is Fifa 14 worthy of a full price game release in your opinion?

Can anyone clarify something please - I've read all sorts of conflicting info in regard to the PS3 version being part of the PS4 upgrade program - buy the game at full price on CG and you only have to pay a fraction of the price for NG.
From what I've been able to sort out, am I correct in assuming that FIFA is NOT part of this promotion? That is, if I buy it for PS3 I'm not getting a bloody cent off if I then get it for PS4?

Easily the most annoying thing about Fifa 13 PC on the pitch for me was when the AI staged impromptu one touch training games in their own penalty area with opposition strikers lurking - has that been eradicated?

I haven't seen that in 14. They do pass the ball to keeper and make mistakes and that is ok.

Edit: The majority of us bought Fifa 13, yes? So do you guys believe that it's £30-£40 well spent? Is Fifa 14 worthy of a full price game release in your opinion?

Yes. 14 is much better than 12 and 13.

For me Fifa 12 is still the most realistic Fifa but 14 is definitely better than 13 if you ask..Even Fut isn't so fast..

OK - has anyone won a trophy yet? If so, was the celebration cutscene improved at all? Has anyone seen a cup, other than the league trophy, being lifted?

Apart from Global Scouting, are there any other changes to the CM?

And how are people finding GS? On paper, it might sound like fun to have to actually go out and scout players, but what's it like when you actually play it?

Well the menus are a massive overhaul, so there's that, but otherwise no major changes. Supposedly player growth and youth players have been tweaked for the better but I haven't played enough to confirm that.

Maybe I'll grow to like it with time, but the new GSN feature is a massive annoyance for me at the moment. FIFA is a game based around player attribute stats; hiding those stats just makes things more a pain in the ass IMO. There's nothing more realistic about it, nothing more fun about it; it's just extra work.

Plus, I don't like relying on the game finding players for me. I don't like that we don't really know how the feature is choosing which players to find for you. I don't like having to have faith in EA coding this feature well. The GSN feature just makes me want to rely on online player databases even more than before.

Personally, I found adding talent to your squad difficult enough as it was. Stats and high potential aren't a guarantee that you'll like a player. There are ways that they could have made player acquisition more interesting/fun, and IMO this was not the way to go.

But some people seem to enjoy the extra challenge it brings, so you gotta try it out for yourself.

Definitely use the new Protect the Ball feature (LT) when receiving the ball in traffic or under pressure. It's a bit inconsistent but you should use LT basically anytime you're under pressure. The other dribble modifiers can be great too, and one of the hardest parts of the game can be knowing when to use which dribble modifier, but LT is certainly helpful when receiving a pass under pressure. If you're in wide-open space, you don't really have to worry about it.

Protect the Ball, Precision Movement, and True Ball Physics are some of my favorite additions to FIFA in recent years, so it's certainly worth it to me. But I always think it's worth it since I get 100+ hours of entertainment from FIFAs each year.

OK - has anyone won a trophy yet? If so, was the celebration cutscene improved at all? Has anyone seen a cup, other than the league trophy, being lifted?
In H2H seasons (I suppose it's identical in Career Mode), when you promote or win a trophy, the cut-scenes are much better than previous versions, even showing the manager on the pitch. They are similar to PES 2013, if you want a reference.

Small update for my Southampton career (10 matches played):
- Headers are way to easy: I am averaging almost 1 header goal per game on legendary.
- Overall game seems a bit easier so far than 13 (I am 4th in the league)
- I really like new tackling system and free movement of the ball (this is IMO the best addition in 14)
- Scripting in 45/90 min is definitely not present in 14.

Maybe I'll grow to like it with time, but the new GSN feature is a massive annoyance for me at the moment.

I acquiesced to a small amount of "cheating". Seeing how difficult GSN makes CM and in particular if you're not using a big club and starting with decent scouts, I transferred in 5 of the >80 free transfers before starting CM and then sold them to raise a scouting budget, quickly got 6 >3* scouts which makes things a bit better.

The new scouting thing is tedious for the first window but once it closed I set all my scouts off looking for players with less than a year on their contracts so I'm two matches away from the January window and hoping to get 3-4 quality players in on the cheap due to their contracts expiring soon as well as signing around another 10 on pre-contracts, a mixture of potential and first team players.

Small update for my Southampton career (10 matches played):
- Headers are way to easy: I am averaging almost 1 header goal per game on legendary.
- Overall game seems a bit easier so far than 13 (I am 4th in the league)
- I really like new tackling system and free movement of the ball (this is IMO the best addition in 14)
- Scripting in 45/90 min is definitely not present in 14.

Man, I guess I just suck even more at headers than I thought. All I hear about is how OP headers are this year but I'm scoring a normal amount, at best. I had thought they were OP'd only for multiplayer, but you think they're OP for single player too? Got any tips for headers? Or tips on crossing, as I think that must be what I suck at.

And I'm amazed you're finding the game easier this year. Are you using default sliders? Because I'm finding 14 to be way harder - at least when it comes to scoring - than 13 for me. Breaking down defenses this year is a hell of a challenge for me.

Man, I guess I just suck even more at headers than I thought. All I hear about is how OP headers are this year but I'm scoring a normal amount, at best. I had thought they were OP'd only for multiplayer, but you think they're OP for single player too? Got any tips for headers? Or tips on crossing, as I think that must be what I suck at.

And I'm amazed you're finding the game easier this year. Are you using default sliders? Because I'm finding 14 to be way harder - at least when it comes to scoring - than 13 for me. Breaking down defenses this year is a hell of a challenge for me.

im the same, not sure if everyones on manual though, maybe they are but im finding WC mode full manual a real challenge

I acquiesced to a small amount of "cheating". Seeing how difficult GSN makes CM and in particular if you're not using a big club and starting with decent scouts, I transferred in 5 of the >80 free transfers before starting CM and then sold them to raise a scouting budget, quickly got 6 >3* scouts which makes things a bit better.

The new scouting thing is tedious for the first window but once it closed I set all my scouts off looking for players with less than a year on their contracts so I'm two matches away from the January window and hoping to get 3-4 quality players in on the cheap due to their contracts expiring soon as well as signing around another 10 on pre-contracts, a mixture of potential and first team players.

Haha, I've been thinking about ways to cheat like that too for my next CM. Yeah, the first transfer window is especially tough. It's hard enough that if you're playing with a team you're not familiar with, you barely have time to figure out what type of additions you need. Then once you figure that out, you don't really have enough time to properly scout.

And so is it correct that lower rated scouts will never get you OVRs? Just estimates on attributes? Because so far I've yet to get a single OVR, or an estimated value amount. Makes it terribly difficult.

I'm also struggling to get into any of my lower league club CMs. In past FIFAs I always preferred playing with lower rated clubs because I hated how top players felt - without proper movement physics, gameplay was way too fast and I hated how top rated players felt to control. And I've always liked starting from the bottom and progressing up through the leagues.

So far it's the opposite with FIFA 14, which is totally rocking my world. Gameplay is now great for me with top teams, but playing with lower rated players just doesn't feel right in comparison. It's like they gimp lower rated players' physical attributes too much. It's almost like playing a different game. It's much stiffer and less fluid, and there's loads of little animations and touches that I don't see playing with 1-2 star teams.

I do headers the same way as 13 but now I win most of them in defence or attack.
My sliders are in the fifa14 sliders thread.
Maybe it is easier for me because I have played 1000+hours in cm in 13 and I lately "tortured" myself in 13 with line length set to 0 which made a game much harder (harder to penetrate enemy defence) which prepared me nicely for 14 which has better ai defence than 13.

Can anyone tell me if the touchline manager in career mode always being a white dude with blond hair is a glitch - because playing as Everton and choosing an olive skin tone should get me a touchline manager that at least loosely resembles Roberto Martinez... but regardless of what I choose at the start of CM the appearance is always the same. Is there something I need to unlock/ do differently or is this another CM glitch and you can only resemble a Caucasian guy?

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

You can bet your arse this is down to some licencing crap: 'What - Doncaster with a Premiership patch? Not going to happen'.

David Rutter said the league badges don't change when a team is promoted because they are part of the kit design.

So EA just need to create a player model like they did for the World Cup 2010 game which had different arm badges for the qualifiers and the World Cup matches.

Back
Top Bottom