FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Struggling to get used to running after the ball and accidentally running off to the side slightly and missing the ball. Im too used to being on rails being guided to the ball. :(.

Sadley not mate still random friendlies

See, this is what annoys me about EA.

OK, I'm going to humour them for a second: the PC can't run the Ignite engine... OK (however much BS that is). But what is their excuse for leaving so much of the game exactly the same as last year (and the two or three years before that)?

On the pitch it looks worse than Fifa 13 if anything. Surely some improvements could be made that don't require a whole new engine? Just something to make the football look fresh! Sure it plays differently, but it looks 100% the same. That's not really acceptable for the third year in a row.

For example, they could've gone back to cutscenes for goal celebrations so you have more than two players celebrating; those celebrations are a waste of time. Those cameras all around the pitch? Why not put them to use: have some celebrations shot from their perspective! Stuff like that - small changes that would overall make the game on the pitch feel a bit more fresh because right now the visuals are getting very stale for me.

Off the pitch - why can't we now stage pre-season tours? Why has nothing been done about the crappy formation/tactics editing screens?

Just because this is the 'CG' version doesn't give EA the excuse not to make the game feel as new as possible. They've given us this lovely new front end, but so many other parts appear to look exactly the same.

What about Player Career - anyone played that yet?

Struggling to get used to running after the ball and accidentally running off to the side slightly and missing the ball. Im too used to being on rails being guided to the ball.

Well, we all clamoured for more realism, now we'll have to get used to the learning curve. ;)

Well it was just an observation, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the PC users who bought the game are somehow more critical of the game because PES is strong on PC (with all the mods) and because of the lack of Ignite on PC? Dunno just speculating :)

Its a bit of both :D

I dunno, TBH I just don't understand how so many people are jumping up and saying its 'one of the best sports sims out there'. three days in and im already finding the AI incredibly dull. I mean its a fine game, much better than vanilla Fifa 13 but not so much better compared to modded fifa 13. I'm be sure to give it another bash when some of the gameplay mods start to come out, but either I haven't hit the right slider balance (and you could help there :D) but more likely I just value certain parts of a football game more than others and Fifa 14 still doesn't appeal to those aspects...

Some of my friends love it for its online and its fluff modes but TBH my only real concern is how it plays on the pitch.

Glad I didn't spend too much on it honestly. Ah, even if PES doesn't get fixed I'd have to move onto my last hope for this year... nba 2k14 :D

Only seen 1 injury in 3 games. I have frequency at 97
Sliders seem to be somewhat changed. For example, if you put Pass Error to 65-70, the ball doesn't bounce the same as FIFA 12-13.

About Dynamic Camera, they changed it because it's the default one for FIFA 14 Next-gen. Look at some YouTube videos to notice it. Anyway, I ended liking the new Dynamic so much it's my favourite one now.

Last edited:

I don't know what on earth is going on, but I've been sent off two matches in a row for B "tackles" from behind. I've hardly touched them! :RANT: Poking around the official forums and it seems to be a widespread issue. This is in Be A Pro career by the way.

EDIT: Well that's that. My Be A Pro career is clearly broken. Every foul regardless of severity results in a red card. Fantastic.

Last edited:

I wish that was the case online. All folk do is just run into the player on the ball instead of tackling.

That is a clear foul that is almost never penalised.

I wish that was the case online. All folk do is just run into the player on the ball instead of tackling.

That is a clear foul that is almost never penalised.

This is one of my biggest annoyances - defending is all about player placement and not enough about tackling. Tackling, both standing tackle and especially sliding tackle, seem improved from previous FIFAs but it's still just as, if not more, effective to focus on simply intercepting the ball by sprinting into its path or even just sprinting right at the dribbler and allowing the auto-tackle to do the rest.

I'd love EA to tighten-up this aspect of the game, especially as fouls are unrealistically few and far between, and it appears that there are quite a number of fouls that could be called from player collisions.

I take all i said back.

Why?

Because dozy hole here forgot the most important aspect of any new fifa - set my bloody sliders.

Once i ported over my settings from thirteen the game became a joy again, i cant think why i never did that first, rather than playing it out of the box.

Still think though, the one let down is the dumbing down of the graphics. The shirt and piches lack texture, and i hate the way they took out the brightness contrast slider.

Other than that the wealth of animations is staggering.

Still need to get used to sprinting though, the touches can be very heavy.

If you have the choice between console versions, and if you're interested at all in CM, definitely go for the 360 version. I have both versions and the CM menus for the 360 version are great, compared to terrible laggy hell on the PS3.

played a few games with fifa this weekend with friends and its all good, no annoying things like in pes so far, BUT whats up with those crosses in to the box wich from everything is a header, volley goal??

Are people scoring more goals than should be possible in single player, or just multiplayer?

Because playing just single player I'm not seeing that, but maybe I just suck at crossing.

I take all i said back.

Why?

Because dozy hole here forgot the most important aspect of any new fifa - set my bloody sliders.

Once i ported over my settings from thirteen the game became a joy again, i cant think why i never did that first, rather than playing it out of the box.

Still think though, the one let down is the dumbing down of the graphics. The shirt and piches lack texture, and i hate the way they took out the brightness contrast slider.

Here is my main problem with EA and FIFA.

Unlike 2k13 where I can leave sliders unaltered and play well, according to how designers designed their game, FIFA is complete mess out of the box.

Default sliders should mean the game is balanced inside and outside. you should only touch them if the game is too easy for you. Not in case AI is unbalanced or something.

I never thought of altering PES3-6 AI. It was pretty good out of the box. Challenging, but not cheating.

FIFA needs user to tweak sliders? Fuck that shit. I don't have time for this shit. Make AI fit for all. Without tweaking. You had it right with FIFA 11 (PC).

Why the fuck would EA mess with that?! O_O

Here is my main problem with EA and FIFA.

Unlike 2k13 where I can leave sliders unaltered and play well, according to how designers designed their game, FIFA is complete mess out of the box.

Default sliders should mean the game is balanced inside and outside. you should only touch them if the game is too easy for you. Not in case AI is unbalanced or something.

I never thought of altering PES3-6 AI. It was pretty good out of the box. Challenging, but not cheating.

FIFA needs user to tweak sliders? Fuck that shit. I don't have time for this shit. Make AI fit for all. Without tweaking. You had it right with FIFA 11 (PC).

Why the fuck would EA mess with that?! O_O

Aside from injuries, I'm fine with the default sliders and I'd bet money that the vast majority of people are fine with them and don't bother with them. It's got issues, but to call FIFA a complete mess is ridiculous.

I don't know what on earth is going on, but I've been sent off two matches in a row for B "tackles" from behind. I've hardly touched them! :RANT: Poking around the official forums and it seems to be a widespread issue. This is in Be A Pro career by the way.

EDIT: Well that's that. My Be A Pro career is clearly broken. Every foul regardless of severity results in a red card. Fantastic.

OK, so Be a Pro is thoroughly broken. Let's see if they patch it?

I take all i said back.

Why?

So will Fifa 13's sliders work fine with this game?

I would not recommend playing career mode in this at all. The CPU AI is absolutely atrocious both for your opponents and team mates. The fact AI is absolutely brain-dead is completely unforgivable.

Scenario 1: I try to gain possession back, high up the pitch as the CPU AI strokes the ball around the back four.

I press and hold the team mate pressure button and manually try to chase down the ball carrier with the selected player, plus have team pressing and high pressure enabled with 4 forwards in my formation, yet, only two players involve themselves in the quest to gain possession back. It actually surprised me, because I do not remember the team-mate AI in FIFA 13 being this lax. To compound the problem, the AI CPU teams have insane levels of pass accuracy no matter which player,team I am playing against and regardless of context/situation at that moment. The difficulty levels are also not scaled properly I found, Legendary, World Class, Professional, all seem to exhibit similar passing percentages and similar style of play. Variety is dead regardless of which difficulty or team you play against.

2nd Problem (And one that has existed for a while now)
Defensive shape and awareness are absolutely fundamentally flawed, no matter which mode you play in. Attacking Players getting to headers way too easily both for me as I put a cross in and for the AI CPU when it puts a cross into my box. Players not being aware that they are outnumbered at the back and need to track back and cover is such a huge flaw, because you are always being left at the mercy of whether the AI decided to place a player in the right position and if it decides that he should track back or not.

It is extremely obvious that even with the added 'realism' of 'momentum' and 'inertia' that this game and it's predecessors cater to a certain type of player and have never been able to find a proper balance between challenge and fun in regards to playing the CPU, and that is disappointing because I used to enjoy building teams with funds I'd acquire through sales and glory in my season mode. The mode itself is pretty much unchanged except that finding transfer targets is now a hassle due to some limited searching capabilities and the presence of the GSN/Scouting System is more rather cumbersome and unwelcome to be honest.

It's a new coat of paint on a 1993 honda civic. Good, but flawed.

Now on the other hand playing it against friends or online sort of limits some of these problems as you both are competing with similar constraints(most of the time).
It is more enjoyable in that sense and a fun experience can be had.

In closing I think FIFA has lost it's identity and now is trying to do two things at once.
1. Cater to the masses
2. Cater to the hardcore

Its succeeding in one and failing in the other.

Sorry for the Rant :)

P.S. Does anyone else notice that features/etc, are quietly removed only to be added in a future versions and advertised as being new and game-changing? (Goes for both FIFA and PES)

So will Fifa 13's sliders work fine with this game?
i don't believe so. out of the box, fifa 14 is quite different: tighter marking, more compact lines, slower pace and higher difficulty. this should require a different approach in sliders.

Are people scoring more goals than should be possible in single player, or just multiplayer?

Because playing just single player I'm not seeing that, but maybe I just suck at crossing.

multi, vs friends

edit: oh nice

By Tom Bramwell Published Wednesday, 25 September 2013

EA Sports is considering gameplay tweaks to FIFA 14 to address several attacking options that feel overpowered to people playing the demo and early access version of the game.

Writing on the official forum in a post signed "The FIFA Team", the developer said:

"Our commitment to improve FIFA 14 is ongoing, and regular feedback from our fans helps us prioritise and identify future improvements. We wanted to take this opportunity to address a few more items that we continue to work towards. Firstly, we got some great feedback on gameplay during the demo and early access period, including:

"The effectiveness of headers from corner kicks and crosses.
"The effectiveness of finesse shots.
"The accuracy of lofted through-balls.

"We look to update you in the near future with good news on the identified gameplay tweaks."

In the meantime, the developer has issued a day-one patch for FIFA 14 that will address "minor stability issues" and bugs in the Skill Games and Creation Centre modes. The developer advises anyone playing the early access version of the game - available to EA Sports Season Ticket holders - to apply the update before continuing.

"Finally, we're aware that some users are experiencing freezes during the game. We continue to investigate these reports internally, and with our partners, and will update the community when we know more," it concluded.

Finesse shots and headed goals in particular are extremely common in the shipping version of FIFA 14, as I wrote in our FIFA 14 review on Monday. In fact, I spent most of my day off yesterday sprinting down the wing in Ultimate Team and crossing to Stefan Kiessling to score, at least when I wasn't using the scoop turn ...
- eurogamer

Last edited:

Can you move teams into different divisions and apply them to a new Career?

Is there anyway I can play an online friendly by using 2 and 3 star teams?

I dont enjoy playing with superstar teams - no point.

I want to make it a level playing field.

No one wants to play with 2 or 3 star teams it seems

this year FIFA has no chance to win.....the fail compilation :LOL:
pes20142013-09-2822-12-05-39_zpsef3d8328.jpg

Here is my quick review for PC after playing a few matches with Southampton career on legendary:
+ gameplay is definitely better than 13: slower, better inertia, AI is better at defending (no more easy running with faster winger), AI plays a build-up game, AI finally shoots more
+ custom chants work now
+ 45 min/90 min AI boosts/cheats when loosing are not that visible

- music is not so great
- scouting system in CM is chaotic. Thankfully there is Sofifa
- still not enough fouls
- AI still does not take many long shots

With some mods for PC (I already got adboards, scoreboard, chants, tattoos, missing minifaces and most importantly I got rid of that stupid Messi picture at startup) it will be a great game.

Conclusion: Definite improvement over 12 and 13.

Here is my quick review for PC after playing a few matches with Southampton career on legendary:
+ gameplay is definitely better than 13: slower, better inertia, AI is better at defending (no more easy running with faster winger), AI plays a build-up game, AI finally shoots more
+ custom chants work now
+ 45 min/90 min AI boosts/cheats when loosing are not that visible

- music is not so great
- scouting system in CM is chaotic. Thankfully there is Sofifa
- still not enough fouls
- AI still does not take many long shots

With some mods for PC (I already got adboards, scoreboard, chants, tattoos, missing minifaces and most importantly I got rid of that stupid Messi picture at startup) it will be a great game.

Conclusion: Definite improvement over 12 and 13.

Where did you get all you mods?
Do they all work online?

Soccergaming.com is in my opinion the most organised source.

YouTube - FIFA 14 Next-Gen - #EGX 2013

Some nice info about next gen like how they can show a replay of a goal layer in a match like if the goal scorer gets subbed off. Nice stuf.

Great Video

Finally Fifa will have realistic replays (like PES has) that were a lot more realistic looking and more like watching on TV.

I wonder if they actually show proper chances and stuff this time unlike any other Fifa version where they claim a "chance" is a goalie taking in a loose ball unopposed :LOL:.

any videos or explanation on how this new shielding works when attacking and defending?

I know its LT but have no idea when to use it or what to look for if i am doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom