FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Can anyone tell me if the touchline manager in career mode always being a white dude with blond hair is a glitch - because playing as Everton and choosing an olive skin tone should get me a touchline manager that at least loosely resembles Roberto Martinez... but regardless of what I choose at the start of CM the appearance is always the same. Is there something I need to unlock/ do differently or is this another CM glitch and you can only resemble a Caucasian guy?

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

This was a problem last year as well - no matter what you selected it didn't stick and you got some random manager. I was the gray-haired fossil in my CM for the most part.

FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Can anyone clarify something please - I've read all sorts of conflicting info in regard to the PS3 version being part of the PS4 upgrade program - buy the game at full price on CG and you only have to pay a fraction of the price for NG.
From what I've been able to sort out, am I correct in assuming that FIFA is NOT part of this promotion? That is, if I buy it for PS3 I'm not getting a bloody cent off if I then get it for PS4?

Game are guaranteeing you £40 towards the NG version up until Dec 24th. You can also get the CG version on Xbox 360 and change to PS4 (which is what I'm doing). I wouldn't have bothered getting 14 on CG otherwise.

Game are guaranteeing you £40 towards the NG version up until Dec 24th. You can also get the CG version on Xbox 360 and change to PS4 (which is what I'm doing). I wouldn't have bothered getting 14 on CG otherwise.

How much does £40 translate to? :CONFUSE:

This was a problem last year as well - no matter what you selected it didn't stick and you got some random manager. I was the gray-haired fossil in my CM for the most part.

Thanks mate, as CM is the only mode I play and usually for many months this glitch is farking annoying. Was there any work around for it with the consol version?

Thanks mate, as CM is the only mode I play and usually for many months this glitch is farking annoying. Was there any work around for it with the consol version?

None that I know of - I contacted support when I first noticed it and they basically said that they were looking into getting it sorted. In the grand scheme of things I guess it's pretty minor but it doesn't seem like the fix would require major programming does it? :ROLL:

Was playing as Belgium v Germany and saw something really cool.

I put a ball over the top and over hit it but it was never gonna reach the opp keeper - Nuer - so he had to do something - so he came out and headed it.
Looked great.

Also I noticed that Torres has long hair - tried to change it but cant in edit player.
Cant you change things like that?

So how many other people here support clubs with black away kits? What a joke, Wednesday's black away kit is unusable because the ref is always in a black kit when we use it :(

Also I noticed that Torres has long hair - tried to change it but cant in edit player.
Cant you change things like that?

You're definitely new :(

Fifa is utter shite in terms of editing compared to PES sadly, can't edit hair/facial features of any players even generics which is just ludicrous.

So how many other people here support clubs with black away kits? What a joke, Wednesday's black away kit is unusable because the ref is always in a black kit when we use it :(

You're definitely new :(

Fifa is utter shite in terms of editing compared to PES sadly, can't edit hair/facial features of any players even generics which is just ludicrous.

Yea thats rubbish. Surely the kit thing can be patched? Thats really annoying too - cant recall that happening before? Championship refs dont have black kits though do they - arent they purple?

Anyways, was watching MOTD last night and really trying to focus on how close to real life FIFA14 is (in terms of build up etc) and its not far off IMO.

One thing FIFA does lack though (and PES), is the ability to bend passes. If they added that - especailly now FIFA has this 'ball freedom', then that would allow for a lot more variety in build it. Maybe could hold down L2 when passing to indicate you want to add curl - then move the stick.

Or just moving the stick after passing etc. Doing an R2 skimming pass, with a bit of curl would look great!

Anyways... I'm bored... (not of FIFA, in general!) back to work.

Anyone run into any teammate AI defensive marking issues? I played a game as wolfsburg vs bayern and robben was in my goal box before he cut out towards the corner flag mandzukic and muller were sitting near my 6 yard box. I had two defenders on them but about 3 or 4 defenders guarding outside the bloody goal box (the 20 yard box). Of course Robben turned and passed it to bloody mandzukic who scored an easy goal. AND it happened again(essentially the exact same goal) in the same game.

I'm also still a bit frustrated by the lack of midfield runs. I almost never see late midfield runs made by either my team mates or the opposition CPU's. I bumped up my Line Height slider even more to try and force midfielders up the pitch a bit more but it seems to not have a visible effect.

Really hope they sort out some of these AI issues, the continually rolling long balls (WHY haven't EA implemented lob pass speed sliders yet!) and try to improve team individuality a bit more because its getting pretty boring playing the AI already.

Anyways, was watching MOTD last night and really trying to focus on how close to real life FIFA14 is (in terms of build up etc) and its not far off IMO.

Do you really think so? I still find that teams don't really have a plan of attack and don't seem to shift gears particularly quickly. Whilst the build up speed of FIFA is representative at times I think the AI should be a bit more dynamic in changing its approach. I think its about having the right balance between long balls/through balls/counter attacking/possessive football.

Last edited:

In H2H seasons (I suppose it's identical in Career Mode), when you promote or win a trophy, the cut-scenes are much better than previous versions, even showing the manager on the pitch. They are similar to PES 2013, if you want a reference.

Really? That's great news - those cutscenes had stagnated for years to be honest. Shame they didn't do the same for the goal celebrations.

Manual Celebrations are only of any use if you want to piss off your opponent online. Given I don't play online, I always skip them - they have no soul, no passion, no feeling that the team has just scored a goal and wishes to celebrate as a team.

EA blatantly lied when they kept going on about 'Team Celebrations' so given they don't intend to implement them, what was wrong with going back to cutscenes for the last game of the generations? At least they look like real goal celebrations.

Look at the cutscene for winning a penalty shootout - that's what a 90 minute league winning goal should look like - not two players celebrating while the others just stand around!

So far I enjoy the gameplay, although I think the computer puts too much pressure on you, giving you too little time to act (on World Class).

But Career Mode is the only mode I play and they totally ruined that for me, taking all the fun out of it with the horrible atrocity that is the Global Transfer Network. I'm a ratings junkie and I used to loved moulding my own team by bringing in new players, comparing their stats and watching them grow. But now in Fifa 14 everybody is suddenly unknown? It takes far too much time to scout every possible new player, it's no fun at all and furthermore the whole concept is ridiculous, since we're talking about well-known players here, so there would be no need to scout them in the first place! "Yeah, we've found a possible new winger for your team, his name is Arjen Robben. We have no idea what he can do, but we'll have more information for you in 15 days." What is that about?

I would have loved to see them improve the search system, so that you can find left-footed players for instance, or players with at least three star weak foot. But instead they hide everybody's stats.

It amazes me that I haven't seen numerous complaints about this already, to be honest. I've seen a few, but I would have expected everybody to hate this new feature with as much intensity as I do.

Is it possible to download the champions league logos from the creation centre and use it in career mode?

I'm also still a bit frustrated by the lack of midfield runs. I almost never see late midfield runs made by either my team mates or the opposition CPU's. I bumped up my Line Height slider even more to try and force midfielders up the pitch a bit more but it seems to not have a visible effect.

I actually meant to post that I was very impressed this year that your midfielders will make their way into the box if you give them a bit of time, even your DM if he feels it's safe, the other thing that impressed me that even if you play as all out defence your fullbacks will still make forward runs if they feel it's safe and there's sufficient cover at the back, previous Fifas had it so all out defence = your fullbacks never move forward at all.

I actually meant to post that I was very impressed this year that your midfielders will make their way into the box if you give them a bit of time, even your DM if he feels it's safe, the other thing that impressed me that even if you play as all out defence your fullbacks will still make forward runs if they feel it's safe and there's sufficient cover at the back, previous Fifas had it so all out defence = your fullbacks never move forward at all.

Yea I've found this too.

Are you using R1 (to the OP) to initiate runs off the ball?

I pump away at R1 and players are moving all over the place!

What stats are important for First touch?

I mean,i play with Rapid Wien against Barcelona.I know,that players have lower skills etc,but its unrealistic,they act like they dont know how to receive ball,and control it. If they are lower players than Barca (i agree,they are) it doesnt mean,that they dont know some basic stuff with ball..
Hate First touch.

What stats are important for First touch?

I mean,i play with Rapid Wien against Barcelona.I know,that players have lower skills etc,but its unrealistic,they act like they dont know how to receive ball,and control it. If they are lower players than Barca (i agree,they are) it doesnt mean,that they dont know some basic stuff with ball..
Hate First touch.

I'm playing as Sheffield Wednesday and find the first touch is way too good, I've raised first touch error up to something like 65 for me and 80 for the CPU, they've toned it right down from 13 unfortunately.

I was pressured by AI attacker so I had to make a wild clearance with my GK; the ball went directly to one of the coaches and he ducked to avoid the ball. Crowd cheered the move.
Nice touch by EA.

Just scored a goal only for the ref to pull play back for a penalty (defender hand balled as I headed it) which I then missed.
Annoying

I dunno, in 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 formations I just don't see the 2 central mids pushing forward enough...

You did say you have to 'give them a bit of time' but I find if I'm attacking down a wing with a fullback going into position to cross even when I'm spamming the player run button they don't seem to want to budge easily...

I've been finding the teammate A.I to be very stagnant.

I'm constantly having to do 1-2s and initiate player runs to get any movement in my team. But even with this it's just constant forward runs, no variation in direction, no coming towards the ball etc. This is something I really miss from PES.

This is my number 1 problem with FIFA

I've been playing it yesterday afternoon and i really liked it. Here i was thinking i would only play PES this year, but my kids where adamant it's much better than 13 and i have to agree with them. Also really like the new menu's compared to them PES is the stone age...

I'm a Spurs fan and i was disappointed that Eriksen isn't in their squad. Somewhere i read that you can correct it with DLC, how do you do that ?

I know that if you start a CM mode (which i will but not with Spurs), you can download the latest rosters (wich is a great feature, Konami can learn something here), but can you do it in friendly matches or in leagues too ?

Sorry is this a stupid question.

Strongly disagree, as they say in Aliens "there's movement all over the place".

I'm a Spurs fan and i was disappointed that Eriksen isn't in their squad. Somewhere i read that you can correct it with DLC, how do you do that ?

Go to the customize tab and you can manually download the latest squad file which will be used for all offline modes.

Customize/edit teams/download updates.

I'm constantly having to do 1-2s and initiate player runs to get any movement in my team. But even with this it's just constant forward runs, no variation in direction, no coming towards the ball etc. This is something I really miss from PES.

This is my number 1 problem with FIFA

I've had my players do some great runs - like making a straight run across the back four, then curling in diagonally to try and get behind.

Happens a lot - never saw anything like that in older FIFAs.

Anybody noticed if the AI changes tactics/formation? They go all out attack from 80 onwards if they're losing, right?

Back
Top Bottom