FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Maybe I was being dense, but at first I was like "what's the point of being able to quick change formations during the ingame pause menu when you can't choose the 5 formations you want to switch between", but then I figured out how to set my own 4 custom formations to fast switch during a match.

Obviously if I'm the only one who figured it out I'll explain how to do it but it's quite complicated ;)

Maybe I was being dense, but at first I was like "what's the point of being able to quick change formations during the ingame pause menu when you can't choose the 5 formations you want to switch between", but then I figured out how to set my own 4 custom formations to fast switch during a match.

Obviously if I'm the only one who figured it out I'll explain how to do it but it's quite complicated ;)

Please explain

I do actually really like this version, the only part im rubbish at is defending, I feel its a bit loose and I cant get tight to an attacker, especially so when he changes direction. Use contain and jockey alot but is there anything I can do to really home in on a forward?

Oh hell yeah, explain! I've been wanting something like this for ages, especially if my CB gets sent off. :)

Last edited:

No you're right, you can only search for 0-1 years as the minimum, it really needed something more in search terms such as a "bargain" button which will seek out transfer listed/soon to expire/free contract players, right now it doesn't seem to scout any kind of free transfer players at all either.

Yes I've seen the CPU change to 3 CBs.

It's interesting that sometimes a team that's losing will completely fold mentally rather than become completely superhyped, I was playing Derby away, I was winning 1-0, at around the 75minute mark I made it 2-0 and the Derby player's heads just dropped, they then proceeded to basically gift me 3 more goals with sloppy passes, hoofed clearances, woeful backpasses etc, as much as I enjoyed winning 5-0 away from home I enjoyed seeing some variation to the mentality of the AI.

Is this the PC version?

PC = Origin so that would be a no! 360.

Hopefully the PC version is exactly the same, because I am really liking what you're posting about the game. I haven't really played long enough to judge for myself, mainly because I'm still trying to tweak World Class so it's like how I had it last year.

Wait, what what what???!

I do actually really like this version, the only part im rubbish at is defending, I feel its a bit loose and I cant get tight to an attacker, especially so when he changes direction. Use contain and jockey alot but is there anything I can do to really home in on a forward?

Single- or multi-player? Or both? Cause I'm feeling the same, at least playing the CPU on World Class or above. (This is on default sliders; obviously if you slow things down with the adjusted sliders it's easier.)

Describing marking/tracking as "a bit loose" is perfect. Getting - and staying - tight to a dribbler is really tough in FIFA. I like that it makes containment and team shape a priority but it goes a little too far IMO. And it's only compounded by some of the stupidly slow standing tackle animations.

The only advice I have, which I'm not always good at following myself, is to be extremely conservative with your tackles when playing on the higher difficulty levels. It's a bit unrealistic IMO, but it's almost better to rarely use the tackle buttons, especially since the auto-tackle function is pretty effective if you just get your defender into good positions.

It just sucks because there are times when you do want to apply high pressure, and times when you're desperate to gain possession, and it just doesn't feel right. Personally, I'd like to see them improve the ability of getting in tight as a defender and offset that by increasing the effects of stamina and momentum, so that you can't just run around applying pressure like a chicken with its head cut off. I do think it's a little easier to play a high pressure game than it has been in the past, but it still needs work in FIFA. The CPU however is pretty darn good at it.

Last edited:

Single- or multi-player? Or both? Cause I'm feeling the same, at least playing the CPU on World Class or above. (This is on default sliders; obviously if you slow things down with the adjusted sliders it's easier.)

Describing marking/tracking as "a bit loose" is perfect. Getting - and staying - tight to a dribbler is really tough in FIFA. I like that it makes containment and team shape a priority but it goes a little too far IMO. And it's only compounded by some of the stupidly slow standing tackle animations.

The only advice I have, which I'm not always good at following myself, is to be extremely conservative with your tackles when playing on the higher difficulty levels. It's a bit unrealistic IMO, but it's almost better to rarely use the tackle buttons, especially since the auto-tackle function is pretty effective if you just get your defender into good positions.

It just sucks because there are times when you do want to apply high pressure, and times when you're desperate to gain possession, and it just doesn't feel right. Personally, I'd like to see them improve the ability of getting in tight as a defender and offset that by increasing the effects of stamina and momentum, so that you can't just run around applying pressure like a chicken with its head cut off. I do think it's a little easier to play a high pressure game than it has been in the past, but it still needs work in FIFA. The CPU however is pretty darn good at it.

There's something weird with tackling in different parts of the pitch too. For whatever reason I find it way easier to 'get close to' and tackle a midfielder in his own half, but when he gets near my box the same player can turn on a dime, lead three defenders on a merry dance and run perpendicular to goal at will.

I have to have the player acceleration as at least 2 or 3 higher than CPU or else it feels 'cheaty'.

Single player mate, if I let go of contain for example or try switching to a different defender he just darts off leaving an easy gap to exploit.

Would love some thoughts from experienced players and how they do.

Single player mate, if I let go of contain for example or try switching to a different defender he just darts off leaving an easy gap to exploit.

Would love some thoughts from experienced players and how they do.

I think it has less to do with experience, and more to do with simply being quick with the sticks. At least that's what I've been telling myself because with the amount of hours I've lost to FIFA, I consider myself pretty darn experienced with the game, yet I struggle against the CPU on the higher difficulty settings (and with default sliders). I think it also explains why slider settings that include decreased Sprint and Acceleration settings are so popular - the speed at which the CPU can play is really tough to hang with on WC and Legendary.

I've also been wondering whether past FIFAs - i.e pre tactical defending and pre momentum - have given me bad habits that I'm struggling to break.

But there does seem something not quite right about player switching in FIFA. I think in some cases it's switching too late, or it's just not a smooth transition, allowing the CPU to exploit these vulnerable moments. I've find this especially true this year on long through ball passes, where in the moments of the player switch the CPU striker is able to get a step on my last line defenders. Has anyone tried playing on manual player switching this year?

Ok I knocked up a guide video showing how to quickly select your four (first slot is always the default team tactics) preferred tactics to be available for quick switching in the pause menu:

YouTube - Fifa 14: Guide for selecting which formations are in the quick formation change screen.

Fifa 14: Guide for selecting which formations are in the quick formation change screen.

This is a simple video showing how to quickly choose four preferred formations to be the ones available for quick formation switching whilst a match is paused.

Slot 1 is always the team's default formation, but 2-5 can be anything you like.

This is how you do it:

1. Go to slot 2, click A (360) X (PS3) choose the formation you want in the 4th slot, go back to the tactics screen.
2. Stay in slot 2 and choose the formation you want in the 3rd slot.
3. Stay in slot 2 and choose the formation you want in the 2nd slot.
4. Stay in slot 2 and choose the formation you want in the 1st slot.

Basically you simply choose the four formations in reverse order of preference (if that makes sense).

Hopefully the video will be self explanatory as I probably haven't written it in the simplest way possible!

Career Mode has been a complete buggy mess for me today, not happy! :RANT:

Ok I knocked up a guide video showing how to quickly select your four (first slot is always the default team tactics) preferred tactics to be available for quick switching in the pause menu:

YouTube - Fifa 14: Guide for selecting which formations are in the quick formation change screen.

Hopefully the video will be self explanatory as I probably haven't written it in the simplest way possible!

Son of a... once again Placebo, you prove yourself the mother f'in maestro of FIFA.

Now if only we could move players around on that same Team Management screen. It almost feels like EA were onto upgrading the Team management system and only half finished. It's a start I guess...

Last edited:

Wait, what what what???!

Ha, yeah - that was my reaction too! I was disappointed we couldn't drag and drop from the menu formation screen, but if you can place your own formations in the slots, then that's almost as good!

OK - I have spent an afternoon playing repeated Manchester Derbies. :D

Fifa 14 is without a shadow of a doubt the best football game of all time - this is a magnificent end to this generation EA and credit where it's due: I thought you'd concentrate on 'NG' and Fifa 14 CG would be a recycled afterthought. It isn't. It is a thinking man's Fifa - you have absolutely got to think in this game - pick your passes carefully, be patient and wait for the AI to make a mistake. It's actually satisfying now to just get the ball down the other end of the pitch, let alone score!

Protect the Ball - the feature that people weren't sure about in the run up to release is a work of genius - this single feature is the key to having considered build up play even on higher difficulty levels where the AI press you very hard when you're facing the better teams.

Those people around the net saying that this is the same game as Fifa 13 haven't given it a chance - simple as that. They've seen that it looks exactly like Fifa 13 and assumed that it plays like it as well - they are 100% wrong.

This is going to be fun year of Fifa. :D

Incidentally, this is World Class with no slider adjustments at all. At first I was finding it too hard, but when you learn to take your time and unlearn previous Fifas rush, rush, rush, it becomes a lot more palatable. It's still bloody tough, but I'm actually living with City now instead of being destroyed by them. :)

Edit: All this is full manual (apart from keepers) on World Class, with Tactical Defending and Analogue Sprint turned on.

Last edited:

Ha, yeah - that was my reaction too! I was disappointed we couldn't drag and drop from the menu formation screen, but if you can place your own formations in the slots, then that's almost as good!

OK - I have spent an afternoon playing repeated Manchester Derbies. :D

Fifa 14 is without a shadow of a doubt the best football game of all time - this is a magnificent end to this generation EA and credit where it's due: I thought you'd concentrate on 'NG' and Fifa 14 CG would be a recycled afterthought. It isn't. It is a thinking man's Fifa - you have absolutely got to think in this game - pick your passes carefully, be patient and wait for the AI to make a mistake. It's actually satisfying now to just get the ball down the other end of the pitch, let alone score!

Protect the Ball - the feature that people weren't sure about in the run up to release is a work of genius - this single feature is the key to having considered build up play even on higher difficulty levels where the AI press you very hard when you're facing the better teams.

Those people around the net saying that this is the same game as Fifa 13 haven't given it a chance - simple as that. They've seen that it looks exactly like Fifa 13 and assumed that it plays like it as well - they are 100% wrong.

This is going to be fun year of Fifa. :D

Incidentally, this is World Class with no slider adjustments at all. At first I was finding it too hard, but when you learn to take your time and unlearn previous Fifas rush, rush, rush, it becomes a lot more palatable. It's still bloody tough, but I'm actually living with City now instead of being destroyed by them. :)

That's kinda how I'm seeing it at the moment. Still a lot of niggles but this is a bigger improvement over FIFA 13 than I think a lot of people are giving it credit for. All of the three big new additions - Precision Movement, Protect the Ball, and True Ball Physics - are all big, positive additions. Plus there's quite a few smaller improvement across the board, from AI, to passing, skill moves, etc.

About being able to quick chance formations though - the problem I'm having right now, which kinda negates its purpose, is that players aren't playing the positions I wan them in when I change formations only. For example, playing as Spurs I switch from the default 4-2-3-1 to an attack 4-5-1, and instead of keeping the wingers the same and just moving one of the CDMs forward (which is what I want - Dembele moved to a CAM positin), it puts Paulinho at RM, Dembele at CM, Chadli at RAM, Lamela at LM. This totally negates the quick formation change usefulness. Anyway to get around this?

This game has nothing to do with Fifa 13 shit..I will never understand why EA released Fifa 13..It's the worst Fifa ever..

About being able to quick chance formations though - the problem I'm having right now, which kinda negates its purpose, is that players aren't playing the positions I wan them in when I change formations only. For example, playing as Spurs I switch from the default 4-2-3-1 to an attack 4-5-1, and instead of keeping the wingers the same and just moving one of the CDMs forward (which is what I want - Dembele moved to a CAM positin), it puts Paulinho at RM, Dembele at CM, Chadli at RAM, Lamela at LM. This totally negates the quick formation change usefulness. Anyway to get around this?

Have you tried as in my above video but when you choose each formation also adjust the players and see if it keeps the players in the right roles?

Have you tried as in my above video but when you choose each formation also adjust the players and see if it keeps the players in the right roles?

I don't think it does but I haven't quite got the hang of the system yet. I keep ending up with formations in the wrong slot and duplicates.

Nice amount of fouls and yellow cards in this game (referee seemed to be so strict): 5 fouls and 1 yellow for the Yellows :), and 7 fouls and 4 cards for CPU's Charleroi.
VZoVgzw.png

Pre-season match, 15-min halves, Legendary and Full Manual, with Operation Sports's Zjac7 sliders, which IMO are better than Orion ones (Placebo, gonna try yours soon :D)

PD: Next game was an awesome exhibition against Fleetwood Town (1-4), with a hat-trick by James Constable. Loved when the crowd started to boo him after his second goal, they were really pissed off :D. Sound is top-notch this year, it makes you involve in the atmosphere, specially in British games.

Last edited:

Guys, I just picked up FIFA 14 and I am loving the gameplay. I am just wondering where I can find the Live Matchday Games that were introduced in 13. Last year you could pick ANY team from the major leagues and the game would show their next real life games, automatically applying their latest form, injuries and even the correct time of day for the match.

Someone please tell me this is still in there somewhere, hidden in the new menus. I will be gutted if it has gone. It made it so easy to play all the real life fixtures, against AI and friends locally.

PS I know you can play Highlights of the Week in FIFA 14, with the latest form and injuries, grounds and times of day, but that is only a few matches.

Last edited:

Can't you make a custom formation of the 4-5-1 but instead of choosing 4-5-1 from the menu and switching players, what you might be able to do is edit the original 4-2-3-1 formation by just dragging the players to the new position and giving them the correct roles and saving that as a custom formation. (Or is that what Placebo was saying?) You might end up with 4 versions of the "4-2-3-1" formation in you menu but that should keep enable you to have the correct positions.

Glad to see the option is back, last time I could use it was back with PES5.

Yeah that should work fine, when I play later I'll check out if quick switch formations allows you to include players swaps, I tend to use a 442 with a faster guy as the LS if we're attacking from right to left and I switch him in the 2nd half so in theory I should be able to just have "442 Custom 1" in the tile twice but with the LS/RS being switched, we'll see;)

Had two games on line last night using Napoli.

Played Chelsea first - went 1-0 down totally against the run of play. Then got back in it with a fizzed cross that A Cole turned into his own net. Then with 5 mins to go I got my winger free down the right and Higauin buried his header. Should have scored a few more but a nice 2-1 win.

2nd game. Using Naopli again. I totally ripped this person apart (Dortmund) but was stupdily only 1-0 up when he levelled. My own fault. I should have been at least 5 up. With a minute to go I get a penalty and he gets a red card. I miss it. Sums up my luck. With last attack he levels and 2 mins to go in extra time I conceed again and lose 2-1.

Enjoying it this year but one thing annoys me - Id like to play 3 star teams online as its a leveller but everyone still wants to use 4.5-5 star teams.

Had two games on line last night using Napoli.

Played Chelsea first - went 1-0 down totally against the run of play. Then got back in it with a fizzed cross that A Cole turned into his own net. Then with 5 mins to go I got my winger free down the right and Higauin buried his header. Should have scored a few more but a nice 2-1 win.

2nd game. Using Naopli again. I totally ripped this person apart (Dortmund) but was stupdily only 1-0 up when he levelled. My own fault. I should have been at least 5 up. With a minute to go I get a penalty and he gets a red card. I miss it. Sums up my luck. With last attack he levels and 2 mins to go in extra time I conceed again and lose 2-1.

Enjoying it this year but one thing annoys me - Id like to play 3 star teams online as its a leveller but everyone still wants to use 4.5-5 star teams.

I mainly go Cardiff and they are 3.5 star. Give 3.5 star a try instead as I always find a game.

Player individuality is the best it's ever been this year, I had been playing with two physically and defensively strong DM's but gone through a spell of poor results, brought in Rhys McCabe who's a short not particularly strong CM with decent passing and he absolutely ran my midfield for me, spraying balls all over the place which almost always found someone and helped create some brilliant attacking moves.

How difficult is it to find semi or manual players in the lobbies? Everyone seemed to want the stupid assisted in 13 and quit after 5 minutes if they did come in.

Back
Top Bottom