FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Sorry, but I am not one bit impressed.

They say grass looks nice? Seriously? Haven't they seen PES 2014 one (the most realistic grass I have seen yet)?

What is more pissing me off here though, is EA saying PCs aren't able to handle Ignite. Sorry, that's bullshit and they know it!

It looks only SLIGHTLY better than CG version. Heck from gameplay it does not look different to CG at all O_O.

And mind you, FIFA on console looks miles worse than same FIFA on PC. Had my mate switch from console (PS3) to PC FIFA (14 demo) and he couldn't believe there is such big difference...

And looking at above vid... Just made me frustrated :P.
C'mon...

Ignite Engine is only available on PS4/Xbox One just to help Sony and Microsoft to sell their consoles during its first year.

Although, I will be dissapointed if next year Ignite Engine doesn't come to PC.

C'mon...

Ignite Engine is only available on PS4/Xbox One just to help Sony and Microsoft to sell their consoles during its first year.

Although, I will be dissapointed if next year Ignite Engine doesn't come to PC.

Same here.

And about the whole 'EA are supporting 'CG' until 2018' - that doesn't mean the PC won't get Ignite before then. It simply means they'll make Fifa for the 360/PS3 until 2018. I might be wrong about this, but when Fifa went 'NG' on the PC for Fifa 11, there was still a PS2 version. Indeed according to Amazon, there's still a PS2 version for Fifa 14. ;)

ok, but why is the slider in the option not affecting the volume of the chants at all?
some guys in the EA forum reported the same thing

On the PC version at least, many of the audio sliders were broken, including the custom chants one. Definitely better to have them too loud than too quiet - simply turn down your volume. ;)

Had a 50/50 challenge with a keeper last night, he gathered the ball as I was sliding in and I got a yellow card for fouling him. Looked pretty realistic.

I agree with placebo, the commentary is outstanding. I lost 1-0 due to an own goal and in the next league game they had a conversation bout how we should have won, but we were unlucky due to the own goal.

Got the retail copy last night, and got to see the achievements I earnt in early access.

Disappointingly my perfect Yilmaz hat trick on debut with Spurs did not give me the perfect hat trick achievement. Must have been that despite him getting credited with the first goal with his left, it took a slight nick of a defender on its way in. Disappointing.

The other 2 were a 25 yard rocket with his right, and a bullet header.

fifa turfs are too unrealistic..they just can't capture every stadiums different turfs or atmosphare.

Got the retail copy last night, and got to see the achievements I earnt in early access.

Disappointingly my perfect Yilmaz hat trick on debut with Spurs did not give me the perfect hat trick achievement. Must have been that despite him getting credited with the first goal with his left, it took a slight nick of a defender on its way in. Disappointing.

The other 2 were a 25 yard rocket with his right, and a bullet header.

None of my Achievements linked.

What's the AI like this year? Any sign of player or team individuality?

I'm tempted.

The skillful players (Christian Erikksen as an example) is very good at little movements and leaving defenders on their arse. Players like Bony and Benteke are beasts. Luiz prone to fuck ups. Soldado a predator. Not noticed enough of teams individuality as I'm playing on Professional and winning most games, so really need to go to World-class.

I have though just played a 2/3 friendlies, tweaked sliders a touch, then done 4 months of a career with spurs.

Genuinely no complaints and am really enjoying it. Way more than i expected. GTA has been kept to the minimum this week surprisingly. The benefit of the ball being seperate is a joy and makes the game, along with the inertia, and player movement.

The skillful players (Christian Erikksen as an example) is very good at little movements and leaving defenders on their arse. Players like Bony and Benteke are beasts. Luiz prone to fuck ups. Soldado a predator. Not noticed enough of teams individuality as I'm playing on Professional and winning most games, so really need to go to World-class.

I have though just played a 2/3 friendlies, tweaked sliders a touch, then done 4 months of a career with spurs.

Genuinely no complaints and am really enjoying it. Way more than i expected. GTA has been kept to the minimum this week surprisingly. The benefit of the ball being seperate is a joy and makes the game, along with the inertia, and player movement.

Wow - if it's keeping you off GTA V, it must be good.

Has anyone got the PC version yet? Impressions?

What I would like to edit is prohibiting AI from using so many skills.

Seriously, have seen CR7 going on wing, cutting inside, no defender near him... He decides to do step overs and then do McGeady spin and lose the ball to GK.

Why when he had OPEN space he didn't shoot?! That's so unlike Cristiano as it can be -.-

Sadly, saw AI overusing skill moves a lot. Hoping that PC community will fix this once more this year :P.

@info0 : It'll be done. Last year's modding made the game way better. The vanilla version was so poor. A bit of an improvement this year though.

Anyway, only a few tweaks needed this year especially since the pace has been sorted out (a real headache in 13).

Actually quite impressed by that. Looked nice. Loved the little animations by the corner flag prior to taking the corner and also the fact when he puts the ball down it was different location for 2 corners.

agreed, looks very good. Funny thing is that is looks like a finished version of PES 2014!!!! :). I mean the way the build up is, etc...

I think the next gen version looks rather nice. At least this game will feature a decent all-round package. I've kinda enjoyed the 360 demo so I'm gonna get the PS4 version on launch.

Actually quite impressed by that. Looked nice. Loved the little animations by the corner flag prior to taking the corner and also the fact when he puts the ball down it was different location for 2 corners.

What a prick though;

"I should write a book about FIFA... I'm very, very good at it"

2 seconds later he passes the ball off the pitch unchallenged.

I'm enjoying CM as Blackburn for the last 2 days.Simply the best all around football game EA released this gen.Much better than the other unfinished product. ;)

Had another couple of games at lunch. Southend v Brizzle Rovers was a bit more of a turgid league 2 affair, but I sneaked a 1-0 again, though it was a very bitty untidy game.

Then played the Mike Walker Derby (Everton v Norwich) to see what Goodison was like - and its nice. Good game with better players this... and...

INDIVIDUALITY!!!

Lukaku was a beast with the new shielding button. Very strong and outmuscled a lot of the Norwich defenders play. Barry very good on the ball, Mirallas was quick and skillful and Barkley played the No.10 role very well - and got the goal in a 2-1 defeat.

Things to note;

1) Commentary is obviously borked for now. In the space of that game, Lukaku scored 2, then 3, then got sent off and was later subbed with an injury! (Barry was also 'subbed with an injury' whilst still on). Obviously something up with the 'Live' part of the game that will surely be patched.

2) One of the goals for Norwich, Hooper seemed to 'glide' in to the 6 yard box to sweep home. I should have recorded it as it will be hard to explain - but basically, Elmander hit a very hard cross/shot across the box which was going well wide, then Hooper flew in too quickly really and got on the end of it. Felt a bit forced.

Other than that, loving it!

Anyone know how (or if) you can do a 'high hoof'? Every long ball is on a very low arc trajectory which is a shame. I've tried holding down L2 and not sure if it makes a difference or its a placebo effect.

Liking it so far, commentary bugs are annoying. Playing as Utd and they keep talking about fellaini.

In the one game he was sent off and scored a hat trick according to the commentary. Nobody was sent off and it ended 0-0.

Only other bug I have seen is in manager mode where I have to reach "the round of 32 stage".

I'm sure they will fix these things soon though.

What's with the PC price hike this year?

Sod it, if that's what it costs, that's what it costs. I've read too many horror stories about keys bought from those CD Key sites being revoked, so I'm just going to get it from Game. £5 more, but at least I know my game isn't going to suddenly disappear and not get a penny back for it!

What's the AI like this year? Any sign of player or team individuality?

I'm tempted.

Well, due to some good cd key deals out there I decided to get Fifa, not particularly concerned about buyers regret or anything until PES starts to get a few of the bigger mods out :D

Honestly despite what others have said, the AI players still seem to fall into generic 'roles'. To an extent you can differentiate more strong powerful runners versus more skill based but thats the extent of it honestly... the concept of 'playmaker' is not seen at all in any of the games I've played. I am not sure if this is purely a case at the higher difficulties - I put about 20 games (10 min halves) at Legendary before I moved down to World Class. Teams still tend to play very similar to each other.

At higher difficulties without slider edits, teams have incredible pass success rates, (I'm talking about teams like Tottenham and Everton and Liverpool) pulling of high 88-92% pass success. This is of course corrected by sliders - but this is just fixing the symptoms rather than the cause (not enough adventurous passes, not enough separation between teams tactics wise). This is linked to the above - you can't see players and teams like how Riquelme and Pirlo were recreated in PES, in FIFA. I've tried playing against all the teams with the 'big name' passers but you barely see the effects of them at all.

I guess my biggest issue with the game is that it just doesn't seem to flow particularly well. Its a pussy comment to make because usually I hate all the subjective tripe that goes around in PES vs FIFA debates but thats really one of the criticisms I have. I don't really understand the approach the AI are taking to the game. They just seem to continuously pass the ball around... with no real spearhead of attack I guess is the best way to put it.

In terms of other areas:

Commentary is getting pretty darn good, but still can barely hold a candle to the commentary and presentation of games like nba 2k (all of the 2k games have been incredible presentation-wise for the last 10 years really). I play full 48 min games in nba 2k13 and rarely get the reiterative nature of the commentary of FIFA 14 that I see in 20 min matches. Partially of course FIFA is on a much broader scale than the NBA 2k series - but to me its still SO far away.

I still have some issues with animations, when running alongside the ball players still twist their head at an awkward angle that just makes me laugh everytime I see it. Still occasionally see a bit of clipping from collisions buts its been a huge improvement over the tripe in the past.

Long balls - is it just me, or do lobbed passes just run forever. They dont slow down at all. Feels like there is no weight to them or its a bloody ice rink on the pitch at times.

Shooting feels great, very satisfying. Maybe the thomp sound is a bit unrealistic but I love it.

AI issues relating to the game artificially lowering your teammates have already been elaborated on enough I think. Pretty frustrating, because when you play against the same team their players are fantastic but teammate AI can be so horribly dull.

Overall - its been a pretty darn good experience. Graphics are starting to age, especially as I feel it actually looks WORSE on PC compared to some of the earlier FIFA titles. Still see the SAME graphical glitches occurring such as shirts clipping through shorts when sliding that haven't been corrected.

The game feels like what fifa 13 should have been. Makes me angry I ever purchased fifa 13, man what a load of tripe.

Hey Doc , are you working on a Fifa 14 full game Lod?
Really needs it , even Nvidia panel not enforcing full graphics details, look poop :(

Hey Doc , are you working on a Fifa 14 full game Lod?
Really needs it , even Nvidia panel not enforcing full graphics details, look poop :(

I think maybe you're getting me mixed up with 'Doctor+ productions?' I don't have the first clue about modding - but I'm sure the other Doc will be on it before too long. :)

Edit: Anyone got stuck into a Player Career yet - any noticeable improvements?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom