FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

It mentions loads of new stuff, really impressed with it, 2nd league match (3rd match in total inc a league cup 1st round match) they mention Nuhiu being a new signing and already scoring 4 goals and Smithy mentioned that he was on fire right now, when it's someone's debut it mentions them a couple of times during the match. Oh just remembered as well they mention when someone's talking about retiring.

When you add up all the layers of commentary together Jeff Stelling pre match + Martin Tyler & Alan Smith during the match with main commentary then what's his face doing the injury updates, Jeff Stelling with half time and fulltime summaries then what's his face reading out the vidi printer scores, fantastic really, I know commentary isn't for everyone but for me it's absolutely crucial for the game's overall enjoyment and Fifa's commentary is second to none.

Sounds great - I love attention to detail like that in games. :)

Speaking of injuries, any sign of stretchers this year, and can keepers get injured? Right now they seem like a waste of space on the bench. ;)

this cant be coincidence can it?

playing as Arsenal v spurs at home in CM and they bring Adebayor on as sub and the crowd starts booing :CONFUSE:

this cant be coincidence can it?

playing as Arsenal v spurs at home in CM and they bring Adebayor on as sub and the crowd starts booing :CONFUSE:

Well previous Fifas had certain players pre-configured to be booed which he would obviously be one of them, but I believe it's dynamic now so if you sell a player under bad circumstances they should get booed when they make their return (IIRC that's what I read).

Sounds great - I love attention to detail like that in games. :)

Speaking of injuries, any sign of stretchers this year, and can keepers get injured? Right now they seem like a waste of space on the bench. ;)

Haven't had a serious injury yet but I'm 100% sure nothing will have changed and they'll still walk off a broken leg.

Well previous Fifas had certain players pre-configured to be booed which he would obviously be one of them, but I believe it's dynamic now so if you sell a player under bad circumstances they should get booed when they make their return (IIRC that's what I read).

Haven't had a serious injury yet but I'm 100% sure nothing will have changed and they'll still walk off a broken leg.

I reckon they'll still do that even in 'NG'. ;) Looks so daft, doesn't it? Sounds good about the dynamic booing. :)

I know that 'NG' has introduced more lively stadiums, but I'm sure 'CG' is still capable of more than what Fifa 13 gave us - do the stadiums sound more alive; do big matches 'feel' any different to ordinary run of the mill league games?

Last edited:

I will probably just borrow this game from friend for weekend. I doubt it will convince me to buy it though.

Definitely not gameplay wise.

I will probably just borrow this game from friend for weekend. I doubt it will convince me to buy it though.

Definitely not gameplay wise.

Seems like Fifa's the only option on PC - the PC version of PES 2014 appears to be in a bit of a mess, and is also missing at least one feature of the console version.

Seems like Fifa's the only option on PC - the PC version of PES 2014 appears to be in a bit of a mess, and is also missing at least one feature of the console version.

I humbly disagree and I will leave it at that :P (having got original here xD).

Still when you play it, you want one more game... Strange for such unpolished game :SHOCK:.

I humbly disagree and I will leave it at that :P (having got original here xD).

Still when you play it, you want one more game... Strange for such unpolished game :SHOCK:.

'Onemoregameitis' is the mark of a good game... it can't be that terrible if you want to keep playing it.

Last edited:

I must admit that for the first time trying both games left me still undecided.

PES 2014 has a very nice rhythm (which is the main flaw of FIFA for me, it still plays too fast even on "slow") and very interesting build up options, but there's a big big flaw which is player awareness (I won't be telling anything more than this in here as this is not the place, more info here). If Konami fixed it, it would become a beast of a game.

FIFA 14 demo on the other hand lacks the proper rhythm in my opinion as it's too fast.
Also, I'm afraid people will solely rely on tricks online as they seem to break defences too easily if performed with the right timing.
Well, maybe it's just me that cannot use tactical defending properly since FIFA 12...
But all in all, I must admit that as soon as I finish a match in this demo I find myself wanting to play another. It's kind of addictive.

By the way, I also have that "black nets" glitch in cutscenes/training, I hope it'll be fixed come the retail release.
Other things that maybe should need investigating are clipping which still occurs from time to time (but it's the same in PES) and some cutscenes not being properly implemented (keepers teleporting in cutscenes after penalties for example, or... am I the only one seeing "00 00" on the 4th man's board during substitutions instead of the correct player numbers?).

Last edited:

I must admit that for the first time trying both games left me still undecided.

PES 2014 has a very nice rhythm (which is the main flaw of FIFA for me, it still plays too fast even on "slow") and very interesting build up options, but there's a big big flaw which is player awareness (I won't be telling anything more than this in here as this is not the place, more info here). If Konami fixed it, it would become a beast of a game.

FIFA 14 demo on the other hand lacks the proper rhythm in my opinion as it's too fast.
Also, I'm afraid people will solely rely on tricks online as they seem to break defences too easily if performed with the right timing.

Well, maybe it's just me that cannot use tactical defending properly since FIFA 12...
But all in all, I must admit that as soon as I finish a match in this demo I find myself wanting to play another. It's kind of addictive.

See my above post. ;)

And I can't agree that the demo is too fast - have you tried it on slow? As for tricks online, that's not a factor for me because I don't play online. The way I see it, online will always, and I mean always, have some sort of lame exploit that people can use to ruin the game.

I shouldn't worry about the black net glitch - that sounds like a demo glitch that will be sorted in the final game.

Last edited:

How are fouls in this game? Do they actually get called a reasonable amount of time when warranted? Thanks if anyone can give their thoughts.

FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

I don't get why everyone says the game is so fast. On this version and others over the years. Get the ball, control the game at your pace. Not that much of a problem then.

I don't get why everyone says the game is so fast. On this version and others over the years. Get the ball, control the game at your pace. Not that much of a problem then.
Exactly, at least with the demo, that's what I'm feeling.
Even if I'm loosing, at least I know why : defense faults or a better teamplay by the opponent, not some scripted AI goal.

It's simple. Try playing the console version of FIFA 13 for several months (or in my case, I played FIFA 09-13 exclusively on the consoles) and then switch to the PC version. The higher frame rate makes the game appear to be much quicker/more responsive. When I played FIFA 13 on the PC I had to set the speed to slow, and I still thought it was slightly too fast at times.

Last edited:

What commentary languages are available can we get arabic in the uk version? Will ea do commentary packs as they did for FIFA 10

Anyone else getting red cards a lot! I'm getting them almost every match, even if I don't touch a tackle button. Just from running into each other. Not good!

Edit: Just heard a nice addition for the PA announcer "A reminder, racism will not be tolerated in any form. Offenders will be removed from the stadium and may face prosecution."

Last edited:

How much different is this to FIFA 13, then?

It's quite similar and yet rather different.

It's still FIFA, so it can very easily slip into a counter-attack dominant style of football that can feel too frenzied. Gameplay lacks's PES's depth, and the animations can be infuriatingly quick at times.

But the changes to player movement does slow the tempo, and the addition of the protect the ball feature does allow for a measured buildup when used. Plus, the new shooting physics have led to a much greater variety in goals.

If you yourself play a counter-attack style constantly, using sprint all the time, and force your opponent into the same style of play by constantly rushing into tackles and sprinting at and after dribblers, then you'll get the worst of FIFA.

If you vary your approach in both attack and defense, and especially utilize the new protect the ball feature and manipulate the new player movement physics to your advantage, you'll experience a significantly different and improved version of FIFA.

That's my experience so far anyways playing the release version.

FIFA still doesn't have the level of depth I'd prefer, and it doesn't quite reach some of the highs of pure footballing beauty that I've experienced with PES this year, but overall this for me is by-far-and-away the most complete, polished, and well-rounded football game I've played.

Gotta say, I really like it. After 13 felt off to me I was ready for something a bit different, but 14 really is a big step forward, though I can't really articulate what that step is.

Will play this for a while, then maybe come back to PES 2014 if the patchers and modders can sort the mess out.

One q for FIFA folk - don't you find long passes skim way too quickly off the turf? I'm useless at long passes as they almost always run straight out of bounds. Is there a button for a more lofted ball?

Player individuality: It's improved, mainly because of the momentum mechanics, I think. It's definitely easier to dribble with the likes of Messi and Iniesta than Carrick and Mikel. Shooting and passing feel similarly different.

Still not as good as PES 2014 but good enough for now!

Edit: Just had another thought regarding individuality. My Ultimate team is mainly Bronze players but I don't feel like they're all the same. I can definitely feel a difference when I sub my iron-lunged CM out for a lazier AM. And I have 2 gold players, Isla and Icardi, who definitely feel like men amongst boys.

Played some more matches last night, slowly getting the mojo back, last night was world class on semi controls, 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, game is terrific so much improved over 13 in terms of momentum and everything else, AI is terrific, I have to be so careful I don't over commit else the AI gets past me very easy but the AI often takes too hard a touch so you can just nip in and get the ball off them, love it :)

And the commentary is amazing, after my 0-0, the commentary for the next match goes something like this:

Martin Tyler: Well Sheffield Wednesday will be hoping to get more points than their last match when they could only manage a 0-0 draw away to Millwall.

Alan Smith: They'll be hoping for more this time around but to be honest I think they're going to lose this one.

Damn that Alan Smith he was right!

Noticed some bugs in the early release version:

1. Player shows 0 years 0 months on contract, agree pre contract and it says he'll sign July 2014 which is more than 12 months away.

2. During a match I made 1 substitute, then went to make a 2nd and my 7th player on the bench had completely vanished and wasn't available to be brought on.

3. Commentary errors, won a corner and it said it was a throw in (I know a lot of people have reported commentary errors)

If people can report all the bugs they find I'll be happy to collate them to pass on to EA and hopefully improve our chances of a quick fix.

ehaqyjy3.jpg

Boom

EA Day 1 Update:

First, we want to thank everyone that provided feedback on the FIFA 14 Demo on Twitter, Facebook, and the EA Forums. We’ve been listening to the comments and our teams across the world have been working hard to prioritize and address the items that have been brought to our attention.

Upon starting up FIFA 14 for the first time you'll notice a title update will be made available. The update addresses stability issues found in the closed beta and minor fixes to a couple game mode (Skill Games, Creation Centre) items. Please, if you haven’t done so already, be sure to restart and download the title update in an active session as this will enhance stability when matching up with other players online who have accepted the update.

Our commitment to improve FIFA 14 is on-going, and regular feedback from our fans helps us prioritize and identify future improvements. We wanted to take this opportunity to address a few more items that we continue to work towards. Firstly, we got some great feedback on gameplay during the demo and early access period, including:

• The effectiveness of headers from corner kicks and crosses.
• The effectiveness of finesse shots.
• The accuracy of lofted through-balls.

We look to update you in the near future with good news on the identified gameplay tweaks.

Finally, we’re aware that some users are experiencing freezes during the game. We continue to investigate these reports internally, and with our partners, and will update the community when we know more.

Thanks again for your continuous feedback on Twitter, Facebook, and the EA Forums.

Thanks,
The FIFA Team

can anyone help ?? i have a cheap generic usb joystick...my right analog stick is not working on FIFA 14.any solution ?? it works fine with PES.
[SOLVED]

Last edited:

It's already out, but it does nothing for the headers/finesse shots etc, if you read the post carefully they're basically saying "yeah we know these areas need tweaking but we haven't done it yet".

Back
Top Bottom