FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

:?

It's much better now, if you overhit a pass away from home the fans of the home team jeer you etc.

There are more categories for your favourite team such as what the crowd chant when you're winning/losing (I believe they're new?).

When you get a moment, could you check if they also apply to any team? I'm pretty sure they applied to the favourite team last year. Just imagine if you can get 'easy, easy, easy' when a team's copping a thrashing, or 'top of the league' when you're top, and stuff like that. I don't understand why they only made the additional categories available for the favourite team.

Maybe they thought that people would get lots of team specific chants for the favourite team and wouldn't want to/there wouldn't be enough room for all other teams, but they don't have to be team specific.

For example, if your team is passing the ball around so the other lot can't get near it:

'Brazil! It's just like watching Brazil...', etc.

Or if you're handing out a thrashing:

'Don't wanna go home, don't wanna go home! This is the best trip I've ever been on!' Or the opposite if you're on the end of the thrashing.

There are so many chants that don't have to be team specific to work. :)

Still - sounds as though they have improved the overall atmosphere, although I didn't hear any of the stuff you mentioned in the demo. That doesn't matter though; I've often found the atmosphere from the demo doesn't reflect that of the full game.

Cheers for the reply. I was actually giving it a go before I read it. It's very slow, but i'm almost there. Am I safe to switch the proxy off once I get to paypal to speed things up? It's definitely worth this effort for £20 less!

Cheers for the reply. I was actually giving it a go before I read it. It's very slow, but i'm almost there. Am I safe to switch the proxy off once I get to paypal to speed things up? It's definitely worth this effort for £20 less!

Hmm, not sure to be honest. It was PayPal where it crashed a few times today for me but I got a confirmation email once it went through so it was okay in the end.

Ahh, I can confirm it doesn't. Got excited because it appeared to be working but it booted me out after I confirmed the payment. Trying again through the proxy.

Conferences with 2-on-2 rooms are gone. Coop seasons with friends only now. Confirmed.

Online team play are gone too (1-vs-1 unranked match only). Confirmed.

Shocking terrible decisions by EA.

First match in the full game between Liverpool and Everton and the commentators are talking about Barry and Sakho both scoring hat-tricks for their teams? :CONF:

First match in the full game between Liverpool and Everton and the commentators are talking about Barry and Sakho both scoring hat-tricks for their teams? :CONF:
Announcers 0
PA 0
Player calls 10
Sound Effects 5
Crowd 1

THE best sound mix, bonus being you never have to hear the commentators repeat those mind-numbing team/player-specific narratives over and over and over EVERY FREAKING MATCH.

Couple of matches done and some quick first impressions:

- Feels quicker than the demo. The Merseyside derby felt super fast even though speed was set to 'slow', which was worrying. But then played Uruguay v Switzerland and pace slowed a little but still way too fast for a 'slow' setting.

- Menus are pretty nice, tile effect works well

- Commentary is definitely bugged, presumably the day-one patch fixes that.

- Physicality seems a little toned down from the demo, maybe? Easy enough to walk over the ball to tackle but I remember the demo having a lot more jostling whereas this felt very similar with the lack of physicality.

- In fact, inertia seems completely toned down and I wonder if that's why it felt so fast? Never got a feeling that I couldn't just spin around in any direction without being penalised by my player stopping. The player just turned instantly, it felt like.

- No catch-up bug. Suarez broke free and defenders had no chance catching him.

- Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a setting for net tension and style. Some people in here might love that kind of thing, I guess.

- Feels quicker than the demo.
- Physicality seems a little toned down from the demo
- In fact, inertia seems completely toned down
This is everything I was concerned about given they did the same thing last year: released a great demo and then dumbed down the full game. Bah. Oh well, this is exactly why I wait for user impressions instead of rushing out on Day 1 to purchase. Thanks.

Couple of matches done and some quick first impressions:

- Feels quicker than the demo. The Merseyside derby felt super fast even though speed was set to 'slow', which was worrying. But then played Uruguay v Switzerland and pace slowed a little but still way too fast for a 'slow' setting.

- Menus are pretty nice, tile effect works well

- Commentary is definitely bugged, presumably the day-one patch fixes that.

- Physicality seems a little toned down from the demo, maybe? Easy enough to walk over the ball to tackle but I remember the demo having a lot more jostling whereas this felt very similar with the lack of physicality.

- In fact, inertia seems completely toned down and I wonder if that's why it felt so fast? Never got a feeling that I couldn't just spin around in any direction without being penalised by my player stopping. The player just turned instantly, it felt like.

- No catch-up bug. Suarez broke free and defenders had no chance catching him.

- Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a setting for net tension and style. Some people in here might love that kind of thing, I guess.

Ah crap - that doesn't sound too good. The demo's speed and inertia is perfect!

OK - is this the actual full game that guys are playing now, or are we still talking the 'Season Ticket' early release?

Funny the differing opinions. Sometimes I think game speed really is affected my the TV/Monitor someone uses.

The game for me is slower paced than the demo, as much if not more physicality as Ibrahimovic doesn't simple powerhouse online defenders like he was the CPU for me. You've always got to be passing in FIFA 14, you try and ball hog with one player you'll keep losing possession.

Lofted Through Balls, Finesse Shots and headers are overpowered though so that patch that's meant to be coming out hopefully comes out fast.

Funny the differing opinions. Sometimes I think game speed really is affected my the TV/Monitor someone uses.
Game pace is greatly dictated by which emotional engine "boost level" the CPU happens to be in, and there are several. If the CPU starts off at a high boost level, the game will feel hectic right from the start. Boost levels are also tied into which mode you're playing, they're different. Last year I was able to tweak the career mode coding and eliminate the CPU boosts caused by the emotional engine (PC). But it was still always present in exhibition mode, couldn't find a way to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Game pace is greatly dictated by which emotional engine "boost level" the CPU happens to be in, and there are several. If the CPU starts off at a high boost level, the game will feel hectic right from the start. Boost levels are also tied into which mode you're playing, they're different. Last year I was able to tweak the career mode coding and eliminate the CPU boosts caused by the emotional engine (PC). But it was still always present in exhibition mode, couldn't find a way to get rid of it.

What's wrong with having the AI start the game at different levels of intensity?

How does this work for online as I've always thought certain matches had different tempo's and would affect my chances of winning. Interesting that it actually happens offline.

What's wrong with having the AI start the game at different levels of intensity?
Wrong? All I said was I got rid of the emotional engine coding in career mode, and that I tried to get rid of it in exhibition mode but couldn't.
I'm going to get up now and go have a soy shake. But that's not to imply milk shakes are somehow wrong. :)

I just have to reply to this again... The FIFA 14 demo has been a revelation to me. No emotional engine coding, no CPU in-game stat boosts, just fair and balanced gameplay from opening kickoff to the final whistle. I stopped playing the console version of FIFA for 3 years because of the CPU emotional engine boosts. When I got a gaming PC, I started playing FIFA again because the gameplay was moddable. But now that I've played FIFA without having to deal with any emotional engine coding whatsoever, I'm not sure I can ever go back. I've got the demo with stadium and team add-ons. I'm the happiest I've ever been playing this series, it's pure football bliss for me. Good enough for me at the moment.

Last edited:

How does this work for online as I've always thought certain matches had different tempo's and would affect my chances of winning.
I have never played online so I don't know. Funny, I would have assumed online between two human players would have none of the emotional engine stuff going on. I always thought of it as a CPU AI coding thing for User v CPU gameplay only.

I have never played online so I don't know. Funny, I would have assumed online between two human players would have none of the emotional engine stuff going on. I always thought of it as a CPU AI coding thing for User v CPU gameplay only.

It was just game speed really but it was noticeable between certain matches. I wouldn't say every match but 1 in 5 or 6 seemed off haven't experience it yet on FIFA 14 online.

Wrong? All I said was I got rid of the emotional engine coding in career mode, and that I tried to get rid of it in exhibition mode but couldn't.
I'm going to get up now and go have a soy shake. But that's not to imply milk shakes are somehow wrong. :)

Fair enough. As for the soy, I'd much rather have a milkshake. :D

Didn't where to ask this question but I got my copy today and I've just launched a Career Mode to familiarize myself with they new menu's and options and stuff. Anyways, I can't seem to figure out how to make a bid on a player? That option seems to be missing when I am looking at the Shortlist or when I am searching and scouting for players. Anybody else having this problem?

Back
Top Bottom