FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

I absolutely love how "free" the ball is now, and being able to push players off the ball properly. Finally Yaya Toure can play like in real life and show his strength to win the ball etc.

When this game flows, it's excellent.

I totally understand that you think that Yaya is spot on. I just don’t understand why EA do not see people like me as additional target. I think that FIFA is still shiny arcade.

Well, what to expect from company that even has managed to ruin games like Plants vs. Zombies. It’s like EA don’t want to increase their profits.

I have to say this is the first time in years EA guys have tried to make it a simulation. They knew PES was gonna come back strong. Once the retail version is out, we'll know for sure.

Seems like they have upped the individuality a bit.

I love the demo and am already hooked on FIFA 14.

I can't wait for Early Release on EA Season Ticket pass! For those of us in North America, that's September 20th apparently!

My pass runs out on September 21st, anyone know if I can download the game on 20th and then play it all the way till 24th when retail is released? Or will the download no longer work after my season ticket pass expires on September 21st?

As someone who has only played legendary for the last 5 or so Fifa games, I say legendary in the Fifa 14 demo is one of its easiest iterations. Also, "cheating" and "scripting" are myths. The CPU plays under the same set of rules as the human players. C'mon.

I agree - Legendary in this demo feels rather easier. (I kinda remember this being the case in last year's demo but then it being much harder in the retail release, but I'm not sure.)

And scripting is a myth, but CPU cheating is a different and loaded topic. Yes, the CPU plays under the same set of rules. HOWEVER, the CPU is not bound by human reaction times, so at times its ability to respond - especially defensively - can feel like it has an unfair advantage.

This unfair advantage feeling was especially pronounced prior to Precision Movement. Now the CPU's response times are somewhat tempered by realistic momentum, except for when that fails, which it does at times.

What I'm liking about Legendary in this demo is that now, for the first time, it seems the CPU is relying on better footballing decisions and skills, rather than response times, to be a more difficult challenge. Hopefully that doesn't change for the full release.

Doesn't really matter as all teams play hyper-unrealistically on Legendary. May as well have named it CPU God difficulty. Global edits to the database tone the CPU cheating way down though if you play offline, I've had some very good games since. Anyway, all teams end up with 85-90% passing accuracy after every game on all difficulty levels, just like always, so nothing has changed there.

No they do not play "hyper-unrealistically." Teams play pretty much the same way, except for being slightly more aggressive defensively, it's just that they are much more effective at what they're trying to do. And individual decision making is improved, like it is on every difficulty level relative to those below it.

The great thing about playing on Legendary is that you see the CPU try so many things that it doesn't do on lower difficulty settings, from tricks, to dribbling, to difficult shots, to more intricate attacking play.

It might turn out to be more of a "god-mode" in the retail version but in this demo, Legendary is quite playable, and quite fun.

I love the demo and am already hooked on FIFA 14.

I can't wait for Early Release on EA Season Ticket pass! For those of us in North America, that's September 20th apparently!

My pass runs out on September 21st, anyone know if I can download the game on 20th and then play it all the way till 24th when retail is released? Or will the download no longer work after my season ticket pass expires on September 21st?

You wont be able to play it after the 21st.

As someone who has only played legendary for the last 5 or so Fifa games, I say legendary in the Fifa 14 demo is one of its easiest iterations. Also, "cheating" and "scripting" are myths. The CPU plays under the same set of rules as the human players. C'mon.

They do, in the sense that they do actually press virtual buttons just like we do. That doesn't mean that it isn't seriously dodgy though, because very clearly the way the computer plays is entirely unlike any human to the degree where it continually does things a human could never replicate.

Also, "cheating" and "scripting" are myths. The CPU plays under the same set of rules as the human players. C'mon.
Nobody here is talking about scripting. We're talking about the CPU player rating boosts that kick in, depending on which difficulty level you play on. Two different things.

Last edited:

No they do not play "hyper-unrealistically." Teams play pretty much the same way, except for being slightly more aggressive defensively, it's just that they are much more effective at what they're trying to do. And individual decision making is improved, like it is on every difficulty level relative to those below it.
I disagree completely. The ability of the CPU for example to magically hit teammates with crosses that end up in the back of my net, is hyper-unrealistic. The rating boosts the CPU gets on Legendary are much too effective, and the game at that point doesn't resemble real-life football at all. But I appreciate your POV, and especially your willingness to engage in an adult exchange.

Also, "cheating" and "scripting" are myths. The CPU plays under the same set of rules as the human players. C'mon.

To me CPU cheating (call it as you want, to me what I point down here are cheats) is pretty obvious based in the following points:

PSYCHIC POWERS
They can predict the trajectory of the ball with perfect precision at the very nanosecond a player touches it. To make it clear, the CPU AI is not PREDICTING AT ALL where the ball is going, they simply KNOW where it will go exactly at all times, as if they were asking the engine the X,Y,Z coordinates of the ball. This is specially excruciating when in tight situations you can see a defender changing drastically it's path towards the perfect landing point the very same moment the ball is rebounding on someone. Psychic powers. Totally unfair. Make the AI predict the trajectory as if they were watchingt the ball, and if you can't because there's not enough CPU, then throw a bit of "human" delay to the reactions. Or... just use the REACTIONS stat of the player, that should be there for a reason, not only online.

They also can perfectly read your movements in real time. That's why CPU players will perfectly avoid your sliding tackle in certain situations, no matter the stats they have. If you go to replay you will see perfectly that the CPU player starts the dribbling/avoiding movement the very moment you pressed the button to do the slide tackle. Both movement are then perform in such a synchronized way that is hilarious. This is because, again, CPU isn't predicting anything based on what it sees, it just reads the inputs of the engine in realtime and reacts accordingly. Again, this should be eased out and leaving it like this is just a lazy and cheap attempt of creating artificial difficulty, because CPU knows perfectly what you will do the very moment you do anything. They should have stats impact a lot more all this decision "understanding" by the players.

NOT EXACTLY THE SAME PHYSICS RULES
The CPU doesn't always follow the same rules of physics that my players do. Countless times I've seen the CPU player doing hilariopus turns with instant maximum acceleration that you couldn't achieve with your players. In the Fifa 14 demo, I dribbled Hummels with Messi and knocked the ball ahead while passing him. To my surprise, Hummels did an hilarious backwards-totally accelerated 180º turn, caught Messi and pushed him from behind. Things like that happen now and then and are completely bollocks because there's no way I can do that with my players, it's impossible. And it happens because when pushed to the limit, the CPU has some kind of "allowance" to break free from some physical constraints that my players can't break.

STATS BOOSTING
They get boosting of stats when needed (near 45 or 90 minutes, for exmaple, or in an important match or when you're too ahead in the league and the CPU decides it must be a difficult match). Having players like Iniesta pushing Toure from behind or winning headers it's a bit embarrassing, and definitely a cheat, as the CPU is receiving an extra boost that is out of the rules. I know it's difficult to program decent AI without resorting to things like this. But there are limits and they don't even try doing it decently. It's stupid to be dominating a team for 85 minutes, then all of a suddent they become stronger and faster. Trying to impact the flow of the game "from outside" is something I just can't stand, it breaks inmersion and generates a fustration that makes me feel tired of the game. To me the challenge is playing good, beautiful and realistic football, not having to endure the god mode when it fires.

I can accept boosting of the CPU stats a bit to simulate difficult or rivalry matches, but only if the stats are the same through all the game. But boosting stats like speed and strength DURING a match should be out of the equation, because it's done only to balance the result, it doesn't take into account nothing that happened in the match. The engine simply decides it's time to pressure and that's it. Shallow experience due to cheap programming.

ZOMBIFICATION OF YOUR TEAM/PLAYERS
And last of all, and worse of all. The "downgrading" of my own players they do when necessary. I think I've tried all the good goalkeepers in the world in the last 5 or 6 Fifa. I've never felt my goalkeeper was better than my opponent goalkeeper. To make it clear, no matter who you sign, your goalkeeper is always underperforming and will always parry the ball to the feet of an oncoming striker or simply not reaching it. The story is always the same, I shoot 20 times and the opponent goalkeeper is like godly, a bloody spider that can block and stop almost everything. My goalkeeper won't save practically anything remarkable. And will parry the ball all the time. You are tempted to buy that incredible goalkeeper that costed you 2 points. But it's not necessary, because the CPU will transform it into an idiot. I even signed the worse goalkeeper I found and after 2 months the average of goals allowed was exactly the same than with Valdes, Neuer, Ter Stegen and Cech. Now, in certain situations the game does exactly the same to your players NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID during or before the match. You are playing great, then at the 80th minute your team turns into zombies, even if their stamina stats are much higher than the opponent and you hardly run during the match. In this case, it's scripting leading to a lowering of the stats of your players. So, it's a cheat.

I know both games use them at some degree and there's not enough CPU to get rid of them and have real AI in place, but there are decent ways to do it, and the way Fifa has gone during this generation has degraded the game too much. At least for me. Playing the AI now feels a collection of those things to achieve a certain level of difficulty, diregarding stats and other variables. This route has clearly put Fifa in the situation of having a linear, repetitive and mechanic single player experience, becasue this "cheats" (call it as you want) are an integral part of the definition of how the CPU plays.

And that's the feeling me and a lot of other veteran players feel of the single player experience, that the CPU is more based in a player-situation focused model rather than having a sandbox and let the stats do their work.

;)

Last edited:

because very clearly the way the computer plays is entirely unlike any human to the degree where it continually does things a human could never replicate.
Exactly, precisely, spot on. Hyper-unrealistic as I said.

To me CPU cheating is...
See, I stay away from words like cheating and scripting. Is it cheating if the CPU gets rating boosts on higher levels? Not in my opinion, it's just the way they program the game to make it tougher. I have played sports games where there appears to be CPU cheating and scripting going on, but I've never seen that in FIFA.

Although there is one "cheat" I notice in FIFA: I play with player lock on, and in the final minutes of a game when the CPU is really pressing, if I order my teammates to clear the ball up the pitch, they'll usually mis-kick it 20 yards and right to a CPU player standing at midfield.

To me CPU cheating is (and has always been) pretty obvious based in the following points:

- They can predict the trajectory of the ball with perfect precision and the very nanosecond a player touches it. To make it clear, the CPU AI is not PREDICTING AT ALL where the ball is going, they simply KNOW where it will go exactly at all times, as if they were asking the engine the X,Y,Z coordinates of the ball. This is specially excruciating when in tight situations you can see a defender changing drastically it's path towards the perfect landing point the very same moment the ball is rebounding on someone. Telepathic powers. Totally unfair. Make the AI predict the trajectory as if they were watchingt the ball, and if you can't because there's not enough CPU, then throw a bit of "human" delay to the reactions. Or... just use the REACTIONS stat of the player, that should be there for a reason, not only online.

They also can perfectly read your movements in real time. That's why CPU players will perfectly avoid your sliding tackle in certain situations, no matter the stats they have. If you go to replay you will see perfectly that the CPU player starts the dribbling/avoiding movement the very moment you pressed the button to do the slide tackle. Both movement are then perform in such a synchronized way that is hilarious. This is because, again, CPU isn't predicting anything based on what it sees, it just reads the inputs of the engine in realtime and reacts accordingly. Again, this should be eased out and leaving it like this is just a lazy and cheap attempt of creating artificial difficulty, because CPU knows perfectly what you will do the very moment you do anything. They should have stats impact a lot more all this decision "understanding" by the players.

I've only read this far, but this is all bang on. The only thing I would say though is that in a lot of ways the human player takes advantage of the very same AI and the very same flaws. The CPU has it all the time, we get it when the automation kicks in.

The terminology cheating/scripting/etc. is not all that relevant. Call it whatever. What is surely undeniable is that the CPU does things that a human cannot replicate on a pad, and the CPU also continually does things that no footballer can do in real life.

If you press the middle button showing "" instead of the quote button you can multi quote, no need for double posts :)
I responded to two different posts at two different intervals. Not sure what you're pointing out here.

See, I stay away from words like cheating and scripting. Is it cheating if the CPU gets rating boosts on higher levels? Not in my opinion, it's just the way they program the game to make it tougher. I have played sports games where there appears to be CPU cheating and scripting going on, but I've never seen that in FIFA.

Although there is one "cheat" I notice in FIFA: I play with player lock on, and in the final minutes of a game when the CPU is really pressing, if I order my teammates to clear the ball up the pitch, they'll usually mis-kick it 20 yards and right to a CPU player standing at midfield.

It's cheating if the game boosts stats DURING THE MATCH to balance the outcome, and depending on the outcome. See the difference?

The terminology cheating/scripting/etc. is not all that relevant. Call it whatever.
I disagree with that, that's why people end up arguing: they're talking about two different things. Cheating and scripting is different than CPU player rating boosts on the higher levels. I can get rid of the CPU player rating boosts by playing on a lower level. But if the game has cheating and scripting, there's nothing I can do about it.

It's cheating if the game boosts stats DURING THE MATCH to balance the outcome, and depending on the outcome. See the difference?
Okay, I can agree with that description of cheating. And FIFA has that definitely.

Right then, after (complete guess) maybe 20-30 games on PES and FIFA, I think I'll buy both games but going to give the edge to PES.

Both play very good games of football now and it's very close between them but PES just feels more ... solid. Whereas FIFA still feels a little lightweight even with the added inertia and strength of players more noticeable.

But as I say, I'll get both and I'm sure I'll put a good amount of time into both games as I think one game might be better when in a particular mood and the other game for other times.

Looks like an excellent year for football games from a personal perspective :)

Right then, after (complete guess) maybe 20-30 games on PES and FIFA, I think I'll buy both games but going to give the edge to PES.

Both play very good games of football now and it's very close between them but PES just feels more ... solid. Whereas FIFA still feels a little lightweight even with the added inertia and strength of players more noticeable.

But as I say, I'll get both and I'm sure I'll put a good amount of time into both games as I think one game might be better when in a particular mood and the other game for other times.

Looks like an excellent year for football games from a personal perspective :)

That's nice dags......Group Hug!!!!

I really really like this demo.
Slower pace, players have weight, inertia finally, ball is not glued to their feet any more.
It feels much more realistic than previous game. I didn't really see big changes in all that gameplay videos, but after playing it i must admit the differece is quite huge.
Ball physics is much better, especially for shooting and long balls. Finally they got rid of that volleyball physics.
Also physical encounters play much bigger role and they seem totally refined and polished (maybe that's just matter of learning how to play,
but Barca is not the best team to play in this demo for me, due to their physical weakness).
Many new and refined animations.

Things that might need tweaking :
- lofted through balls seem a bit overpowered
- players like Messi could be a little more agile comparing to other players
- All the physically weak offensive players are too good at defending imo
- 8/10 AI clearances go straight to their players feet(wasn't it supposed to be fixed?)
- the pitch looks awful. If they can't get better texture due to hardware limitations, they should at least adjust the colors.

Overall i'm really looking forward to full release, and i'm praying so they don't mess up and don't make it more arcadey for the retail version :PRAY:

hi i wish to know how can i extract files from fifa files? like backgrounds, logos etc... like this background where is located?
0.jpg

hi i wish to know how can i extract files from fifa files? like backgrounds, logos etc... like this background where is located?
Jenkey's demo editing tools, soccergaming.com... that's where you should start.

To me CPU cheating (call it as you want, to me what I point down here are cheats) is pretty obvious based in the following points:

PSYCHIC POWERS
They can predict the trajectory of the ball with perfect precision at the very nanosecond a player touches it. To make it clear, the CPU AI is not PREDICTING AT ALL where the ball is going, they simply KNOW where it will go exactly at all times, as if they were asking the engine the X,Y,Z coordinates of the ball. This is specially excruciating when in tight situations you can see a defender changing drastically it's path towards the perfect landing point the very same moment the ball is rebounding on someone. Psychic powers. Totally unfair. Make the AI predict the trajectory as if they were watchingt the ball, and if you can't because there's not enough CPU, then throw a bit of "human" delay to the reactions. Or... just use the REACTIONS stat of the player, that should be there for a reason, not only online.

NOT EXACTLY THE SAME PHYSICS RULES
The CPU doesn't always follow the same rules of physics that my players do. Countless times I've seen the CPU player doing hilariopus turns with instant maximum acceleration that you couldn't achieve with your players. In the Fifa 14 demo, I dribbled Hummels with Messi and knocked the ball ahead while passing him. To my surprise, Hummels did an hilarious backwards-totally accelerated 180º turn, caught Messi and pushed him from behind. Things like that happen now and then and are completely bollocks because there's no way I can do that with my players, it's impossible. And it happens because when pushed to the limit, the CPU has some kind of "allowance" to break free from some physical constraints that my players can't break.

STATS BOOSTING
They get boosting of stats when needed (near 45 or 90 minutes, for exmaple, or in an important match or when you're too ahead in the league and the CPU decides it must be a difficult match). Having players like Iniesta pushing Toure from behind or winning headers it's a bit embarrassing, and definitely a cheat, as the CPU is receiving an extra boost that is out of the rules. I know it's difficult to program decent AI without resorting to things like this. But there are limits and they don't even try doing it decently. It's stupid to be dominating a team for 85 minutes, then all of a suddent they become stronger and faster. Trying to impact the flow of the game "from outside" is something I just can't stand, it breaks inmersion and generates a fustration that makes me feel tired of the game. To me the challenge is playing good, beautiful and realistic football, not having to endure the god mode when it fires.

I can accept boosting of the CPU stats a bit to simulate difficult or rivalry matches, but only if the stats are the same through all the game. But boosting stats like speed and strength DURING a match should be out of the equation, because it's done only to balance the result, it doesn't take into account nothing that happened in the match. The engine simply decides it's time to pressure and that's it. Shallow experience due to cheap programming.

ZOMBIFICATION OF YOUR TEAM/PLAYERS
And last of all, and worse of all. The "downgrading" of my own players they do when necessary. I think I've tried all the good goalkeepers in the world in the last 5 or 6 Fifa. I've never felt my goalkeeper was better than my opponent goalkeeper. To make it clear, no matter who you sign, your goalkeeper is always underperforming and will always parry the ball to the feet of an oncoming striker or simply not reaching it. The story is always the same, I shoot 20 times and the opponent goalkeeper is like godly, a bloody spider that can block and stop almost everything. My goalkeeper won't save practically anything remarkable. And will parry the ball all the time. You are tempted to buy that incredible goalkeeper that costed you 2 points. But it's not necessary, because the CPU will transform it into an idiot. I even signed the worse goalkeeper I found and after 2 months the average of goals allowed was exactly the same than with Valdes, Neuer, Ter Stegen and Cech. Now, in certain situations the game does exactly the same to your players NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID during or before the match. You are playing great, then at the 80th minute your team turns into zombies, even if their stamina stats are much higher than the opponent and you hardly run during the match. In this case, it's scripting leading to a lowering of the stats of your players. So, it's a cheat.

I know both games use them at some degree and there's not enough CPU to get rid of them and have real AI in place, but there are decent ways to do it, and the way Fifa has gone during this generation has degraded the game too much. At least for me. Playing the AI now feels a collection of those things to achieve a certain level of difficulty, diregarding stats and other variables. This route has clearly put Fifa in the situation of having a linear, repetitive and mechanic single player experience, becasue this "cheats" (call it as you want) are an integral part of the definition of how the CPU plays.

And that's the feeling me and a lot of other veteran players feel of the single player experience, that the CPU is more based in a player-situation focused model rather than having a sandbox and let the stats do their work.

;)

Yep. :WORSHIP:

Exactly how I've felt about the single player experience in FIFA for years.

Think Scorpio? Has said that it will work if you don't turn it off.

Yep worked for me last year. Don't turn off your console or FIFA game for that matter. Always leave it on. Hopefully it will work again this year. :)

Jenkey's demo editing tools, soccergaming.com... that's where you should start.
but i cant open, files dont open on jenkey tools, i open .big files of demo and jenkey tool dont do nothing do i have to do other thing else before open files on jenkey tool?

Back
Top Bottom