FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Pfft don't be so defensive, it's my honest opinion they're being deliberately obtuse! :)

And no ant0n's being an idiot if he thinks it's garbage :)

Not that really.

Never mind.

About the demo, got to play it and I do feel some differences, but yet again the one problem that has put me off of past Fifas hasn't been addressed.

Players still feel like they're skating about while running. This is that Fifa thing that I'd love EA to simply get rid of.

What I like though is how you can turn without having the CPU on you like your shadow. So that's fixed.

Ball feels more free maybe?

First touch improved I guess. Not sure if that's calculated based on stats or positioning or just random?

So this was what I've gathered so far.

Initial impressions: It's really, really fast.

I put the slider settings down (20 sprint speed, 40 acceleration) and the CPU clearly does not adjust its style of play so they end up making a lot of stupid mistakes passing into space they'd usually get into with the default settings but coming up way short with the adjusted ones. I spent a lot of time wrangling with Fifa 13 and had the exact same problems because I felt there was a very good game in there somewhere. I don't know. The sliders are a really good idea but EA can't implement them properly with the AI. I have the feeling it'd be really fun with friends but it's sort of terrible on default settings.

Shame really because the shooting, passing and crossing is great as per usual. Granted it's not for me but I'm sure current Fifa fans will like it a lot.

Last edited:

Im after 1st match. Big shock!
Steering was changed? I dont have sprint on right stick? Also to make feint I just move right stick only? (without LT ? ).
Wow :O
why. Steering in fifa13 was better.
Please comment.

For some reason EA switched things around. Using only Right Stick will perform feints. To knock the ball ahead, you now need to hold the sprint button (R1/RT) when you move the right stick. One problem with this I've noticed is that when you are moving slowly and want to explode in a direction, it's hard to time the Right Stick and RT keys properly. I'm not sure if you need to move them at the same time, or hold Sprint slightly before moving the stick, etc. Also RT when moving is the command to stop on the spot, which I've done a few times accidentally when I've not held the Left Stick to move, and then press RT and the right stick.

This re-arrangement seems to have solved a problem that wasn't there to begin with. I use the knock on alot more than I use tricks, so it doesn't make sense to move the tricks cleanly to the right stick, and then forcing me to use a modifier key to access the right stick knock-on abilities.

I put the slider settings down (20 sprint speed, 40 acceleration) and the CPU clearly does not adjust its style of play so they end up making a lot of stupid mistakes passing into space they'd usually get into with the default settings but coming up way short with the adjusted ones. I spent a lot of time wrangling with Fifa 13 and had the exact same problems because I felt there was a very good game in there somewhere. I don't know. The sliders are a really good idea but EA can't implement them properly with the AI. I have the feeling it'd be really fun with friends but it's sort of terrible on default settings.

Shame really because the shooting, passing and crossing is great as per usual. Granted it's not for me but I'm sure current Fifa fans will like it a lot.

It's weird, on one TV the game is really slow, on another in my house it's incredibly fast. Strange, because both TVs don't have that effect on other games!

I quite like it so far though, the new L2 dribble thing is good. I set run frequency down to zero for both teams and it was less end to end. There's a really good game somewhere under there but I still can't put my finger on where it goes wrong. Player dribbling is miles better now, but still not enough weight to the players. It's better, but PES still wins out in that regard.

Last edited:

You find it too fast? Have you tried it on slow?

Pace is superb. Player movement a lot better than what I had seen in the videos. No more avoidance play from the AI.

Having fun right now.

I have tried FIFA demos since 11. Always thought that the game was decent. I have always been a PES player despite its short comings so my views of FIFA are always based off my habits of PES. This year after I playing this new PES for a while and getting used to it, one thing I noticed right away in FIFA was how sticky the ball is to the players' feet. Reminded me of previous gen games. Couldn't go on with it for too long. I want to try to the NG FIFA though.

EA should really consider making FIFA an online-only game.After several matches, I saw the same old problems with AI and player positioning. Not going back to it.

Erm, TheDoctor and other saying retail version should not change from demo...

Well, you know, some of those YouTubers got retail version already? As a present from EA Sports.

It has been altered. Again. ;)

Well I managed to borrow a friend's computer and I played the demo enough. We all have our opinion of course and mine is what it is. I think the demo is good and I think that FIFA 14 on current gen will be a good game but one I'll unlikely buy. Stats do not play enough of a role for my liking, I honestly cannot play it extensively when I see right and left footed players doing things more or less the same.
Messi faking dribbling with his right foot, it's been a pet hate of mine and I can't take it anymore. Visually it's not "sexy" enough anymore. I don't like how tactically there's been no attempt to improve things whereas it's one of the most important aspect of football.

Things that I like are the shooting animations, the ball physics, the improved physical engine, the atmosphere and audio in general.

I'll understand people who'll buy this as there are many reasons to do so. No comparisons to be made with the other game as I haven't had the chance to play it.

It's better than 13 and I like the weight of it all, the ball dips a lot more which I like and the shielding and momentum are good.

But I suspect it will be changed for the final game, hopefully not.

All in all I like it but it isn't amazing from what I have played, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. It is a better Fifa 13 and if it stays similar to this then I am happy.....I'm easily pleased ;))

My thoughts on the demo (Xbox 360):

Pros:
-Overall physical play is better. A much better balance between strength and pace. If a strong defender can keep close to a fast attacker, he can muscle him off his stride and keep up... but if a fast attacker gets in space, the defender has no chance to catch him. I like it.

-Slide tackling has a greater range of effect. Still a risk reward, but at least there is more of a jostle on a miss.

-More animations. These are all over. Better dribbling animations, better ball control animations, and better off the ball/defending animations.

Cons:
-Passing speed seems less balanced than FIFA13. I think the new running pace is fine, but the speed of standard passes (I tried both assisted and unassisted) seemed all over the place. Maybe it's just getting used to the new momentum system and better timing the pass with the animation my player is in, but I had many passes intercepted because they were made too softly that would have been just fine in previous games.

-With the addition of planting/momentum, player responsiveness suffers. Again, something else to get used to, but the problem with delaying my button presses to feet planting animation is that it limits my ability to control my player... which I don't like. I appreciate that it's more realistic that my player can't cut until his foot hits the ground, BUT it's silly to limit my control because of whatever planting animation the player is stuck in. If I'm setting my opponent up for a dribbling move in real life, I'd be able to adjust my planting to line up with my cut. In FIFA 13, your player obviously can't anticipate when you want to cut so the timing between planting and cutting feels sluggish.

-Defending the CPU is much easier. As a 99% of the time career mode player, this is bad news for me. Knowing the CPU can't cut back as quickly makes them far too easy to nudge off the ball. My possession totals were the highest I've ever had in a FIFA game, CPU couldn't hold the ball.

Overall:
Certainly too early to judge even if nothing changes from the demo to retail (it will), but I'm definitely going to wait for the next gen version before leaving FIFA 13 behind. I think the gameplay has changed enough to be a different game, but everything else looks entirely the same. Not hating on EA as being "lazy" but I'm assuming they've put all the new presentation ideas into the next gen version and I'd rather spend my 100s of hours in career mode with some new scenery.

Tomorrow I'll give the PES demo a try.

Im not a FIFA fan but i downloaded the demo as I always do and heres my view.

Its OK. Looks the same as FIFA13. Have always had a problem with Fifa in that it feels souless.Its all about the brand and not about the gameplay.
EA still cant get players to look like players. Every players shoulders are either too big or they dont have any!

I enjoyed the games I played but still silly things like the CPUs clearance always goes to their player are still there.

The menus remind me of Windows 8 on my laptop. I do like the ability to chance formations when you pause the game with a quick nudge of your LS. That is good as it saves time.

As I said it was OK and ill play it until tomorrow when the PES demo hits.

For some reason EA switched things around. Using only Right Stick will perform feints. To knock the ball ahead, you now need to hold the sprint button (R1/RT) when you move the right stick. One problem with this I've noticed is that when you are moving slowly and want to explode in a direction, it's hard to time the Right Stick and RT keys properly. I'm not sure if you need to move them at the same time, or hold Sprint slightly before moving the stick, etc. Also RT when moving is the command to stop on the spot, which I've done a few times accidentally when I've not held the Left Stick to move, and then press RT and the right stick.

This re-arrangement seems to have solved a problem that wasn't there to begin with. I use the knock on alot more than I use tricks, so it doesn't make sense to move the tricks cleanly to the right stick, and then forcing me to use a modifier key to access the right stick knock-on abilities.

Thanks for info.
So I assume:
to make feint: I move only right stick.
to make knock the ball ahead: I press RT and move right stick.
Why all users here dont say anything about this? I think these are the biggest changes.

Played on both PC & PS3 and the game is exactly the same.

Its weird indeed, imo the console feels smoother and more responsive, evan though on PC the gfx can be a lot better(played 1080p with very high settings)

Also shooting feels better on the xbox for some reason i can hit them better and they felt more powerfull.

Hmm glad we cleared that up then! :)

I'm not even in need of these, but I'll just go ahead and say thanks for offering alot of assistance on these forums Placebo, including the guide for Horizon and injecting demos which worked great for me.

:WORSHIP:

No worries, happy to give something back :)

Erm, TheDoctor and other saying retail version should not change from demo...

Well, you know, some of those YouTubers got retail version already? As a present from EA Sports.

It has been altered. Again. ;)

In all probability you're right, but I say again: what do they alter? Is it something that can be changed back with sliders (I don't play online)?

Its weird indeed, imo the console feels smoother and more responsive, evan though on PC the gfx can be a lot better(played 1080p with very high settings)

Also shooting feels better on the xbox for some reason i can hit them better and they felt more powerfull.

Turn of Video Sync, I have always found in the past if you restrict the FPS on FIFA it makes the game feel unresponsive, well this was def the case with FIFA 13. Have not tried the FIFA 14 demo mind.

Turn of Video Sync, I have always found in the past if you restrict the FPS on FIFA it makes the game feel unresponsive, well this was def the case with FIFA 13. Have not tried the FIFA 14 demo mind.

Surely you get 200fps or whatever and your card gets battered then?

No idea how people can compare the PC demo to PS3. PC demo is way smoother faster, more responsive. Only thing there is a LOD issue. certain objects turn black from a distance.

I wish my attacking players would stop making darting runs in behind the back 4 when I'm trying to slowly build up the play. DROP SHORT just once in your life please so I could then at least use the LT shield feature. Fair enough when its a 3v3 counter attack break you can peel away to the flanks and open up space for me but when the CPU has parked the bus I can't play Guti/Riqueleme esque passes through 6 players everytime.

Is there some link to download for Xbox360? I don't have gold acc. so i can't download.

Edit: I founded it. Sorry for spam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom