FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

This whole idea of 'Fifa is for kids and PES is for adults' is such a load of old cack. Try Fifa on manual - and then show me the 'kid' who has the patience to learn it.

FIFA on manual is easy once you get used to it, my issue with manual on the early years was the passing was broken so you had to use triangle to make simple passes.

This whole idea of 'Fifa is for kids and PES is for adults' is such a load of old cack. Try Fifa on manual - and then show me the 'kid' who has the patience to learn it.
Some of you need to separate the emotional from the rational with these discussions. Again, compared to the actual sport it is attempting to emulate, FIFA is a child's version of how football looks and plays. EA does not and never will design FIFA as a football simulation because they know young gamers prefer the wide-open arcade game style FIFA is known for. That's the target consumer group EA goes after with all their games as it's the largest group of video game consumers by far.

Compare that to a smaller developer such as SCEA who makes every effort possible to create as authentic a baseball game as they can possibly make. That's their one priority. They design The Show for gamers who are specifically looking for a baseball simulation. And the gamers who look for that in a game happen to be older gamers, that's just the way it is with video games. PES is most definitely in this category as well and we can see that with these PES 2014 videos. The CPU on-the-ball behavior is off the charts from a simulation perspective; nothing that authentic has ever been seen in a video football game.

FIFA on manual is easy once you get used to it, my issue with manual on the early years was the passing was broken so you had to use triangle to make simple passes.
The passing is easy (yes I too play on full manual) because pass and cross ratings in FIFA do not affect player skill as they do in PES. This is another reason why FIFA can be seen and understood as an arcade football experience, and PES a simulation game.

And I'm 41 the exact day of Fifa's release and also enjoy Fifa on all manual settings.

It's the kind of comment someone makes when they're trying to make cheap points attacking the fanbase of one game over another, poor effort.

It is exactly and gotta give some credit to the FIFA fans of evoweb. They do not generally bite to pathetic wind up attempts.
Personally I have a sentimental connection with PES (most of us on this site do) but the game is shit I'll say it and if the game is good, I won't criticize FIFA. Vice versa and all ;)

It is exactly and gotta give some credit to the FIFA fans of evoweb. They do not generally bite to pathetic wind up attempts.
Your response is a windup attempt. I was simply stating a fact. EA designs their games primarily for young people, teenagers and college kids. None of their games are designed as sports simulations, they're designed for fun pick-up-and-play action. I understand why some here might be insulted by my comments, I have no problem with that. But then you need to understand that once you hit your late 40s and 50s, it's possible to laugh this stuff off and not take it personally, and discuss these things like rational, thinking adult friends and football colleagues. That's all I'm attempting to do here.

I can remind you of millions of kids who had all the patience in the world learning to play games that were tons harder than Fifa on manual. Just go back a couple/few generations back and remember how games were. It was never a matter of difficulty for us. We simply adapted, and we were kids.

There's nothing elite about Fifa or PES on manual. It's all a matter of choice and adaptation.

Angus, you're trying to make it sound like the two games are at opposite ends of a spectrum, when the truth is they're incredibly similar. And more alike than they've ever been.

In the context of the history of the football game genre, they are both simulations. Both unsatisfying, flawed simulations, but still.

It's not like we're comparing NBA 2K with NBA Jam here.

I can remind you of millions of kids who had all the patience in the world learning to play games that were tons harder than Fifa on manual. Just go back a couple/few generations back and remember how games were. It was never a matter of difficulty for us. We simply adapted, and we were kids.

There's nothing elite about Fifa or PES on manual. It's all a matter of choice and adaptation.

Setting you team up to beat another team tactically is far more of a skill than making sure you pass the ball correctly on manual. I'd like to see kids do this as it would help them develop mental skills, looking to out think opponents rather winning by aggression and brute force.

Last edited:

A kid wouldn't use manual, they'd just play the game on default settings. Ping pong passing, chipped through balls and easy 1 v 1 goals.

FIFA is definitely aimed at kids. Cgi trailers to make them think that's the actual game, FUTdesigned around collecting sticks/cards, swapping and trading and then purchasing virtual cards with real money.

Adults can change the settings and tweak the sliders to have their own fun though. But by default I'd say it's aimed at capturing thee younger market.

PES for years just seem to aim themselves at their own small die hard fans. Minimum effort, same die hards buy it each year. Repeat.

A kid wouldn't use manual, they'd just play the game on default settings. Ping pong passing, chipped through balls and easy 1 v 1 goals.

FIFA is definitely aimed at kids. Cgi trailers to make them think that's the actual game, FUTdesigned around collecting sticks/cards, swapping and trading and then purchasing virtual cards with real money.

Adults can change the settings and tweak the sliders to have their own fun though. But by default I'd say it's aimed at capturing thee younger market.

PES for years just seem to aim themselves at their own small die hard fans. Minimum effort, same die hards buy it each year. Repeat.

To be fair, the majority of games are aimed at the younger market. Even those marketed as 16+ or 18+ like Call of Duty - no realism, just endless leaping around the same maps (good luck doing that with 90lbs of equipment on your back).

It's even happening with games like the Total War series. Look at Rome 2 - units that race around like they're on speed and battles that are done in five or ten minutes - that sure as hell isn't aimed at adults...

Setting you team up to beat another team tactically is far more of a skill than making sure you pass the ball correctly on manual. I'd like to see kids do this as it would help them develop mental skills, looking to out think opponents rather winning by aggression and brute force.

The day you actually have to do that to beat an AI would be a terrific day. ;)

I don't think PES is a sim and that is what puts kids off of buying it etc.

If PES had the licenses and a proper league structure, then more of these 'kids' would buy it. I don't think kids aren't buying it because PES is a 'Sim' and they are going for a different market.

You can still ping pong and play crappy and win just like on Fifa on normal settings and not doing anything with the tactics.

Your response is a windup attempt. I was simply stating a fact. EA designs their games primarily for young people, teenagers and college kids. None of their games are designed as sports simulations, they're designed for fun pick-up-and-play action. I understand why some here might be insulted by my comments, I have no problem with that. But then you need to understand that once you hit your late 40s and 50s, it's possible to laugh this stuff off and not take it personally, and discuss these things like rational, thinking adult friends and football colleagues. That's all I'm attempting to do here.

Fair enough I suppose even if I don't agree with your simplified view of things (FIFA= kids,arcade etc etc PES= simulation, older and more mature people). It's too "black and white" for my liking. Both games try to find the balance between the two extremes.

Christ, after looking through the last 2 pages of this thread maybe I'm too old to be playing FIFA:LOL: Can't figure out if it's because I'm not acting my age or if it's because no one else other than EA has made any good football games for the last 6 years:CONFUSE::LOL:

If you force a kid to play manual, he will adapt.

We will know when we have reached a significant level of realism where we have game where you could use assisted/4 bar passing whatever and play vs someone using manual and the manual player has the advantage because of how the game is setup.

Like with racing games. Auto gears gives you a disadvantage to manual gears.

The day you actually have to do that to beat an AI would be a terrific day. ;)

I been doing this all year on PES 2013 alone.

This is what people have been doing with PES for, well since the PS1 days. It's always been that type of game where you will struggle unless you use all of the tactics available.

I plugged in PES2 a few months ago for my patch to get ratings for the 2002 World Cup, had a few games with Belgium, realised very quickly, your getting nowhere on this game unless you see the tactics to your advantage. Use them at the right time. that was a rather more 'arcadey' pes title an all where it was easy to sprint through teams with fast players.

currently there is no arcade game or simulation game ..... there is different people

!!! i have played pes since 97...and now i play fifa in all manual...and slow with the help of sliders and with camera patch(only on pc ) just trying to recreate a truly football game

maybe this year i´ll play pes 2014 ( maybe...it looks good so far).

I don't agree with your simplified view of things (FIFA= kids,arcade etc etc PES= simulation, older and more mature people). It's too "black and white" for my liking. Both games try to find the balance between the two extremes.
Okay, fair enough, my comments are not an indictment on anyone's game preference, or their opinions about which game is more fun, better programmed, etc.

But here's an example of what I'm talking about. Konami has spent weeks providing us detailed developer discussions and gameplay videos of their new simulation features and gameplay. What has EA shown? That they now have Goodison Park, face scans of all Spurs players, and ultimate team gold pack incentives.

Konami is directing their marketing info at gamers who get excited about simulation gameplay. EA is directing their marketing info at gamers who get excited about real stadiums, real teams, real player faces and online collectables. Honestly, IMO this issue is in fact entirely black and white on a very real level.

currently there is no arcade game or simulation game ..... there is different people

!!! i have played pes since 97...and now i play fifa in all manual...and slow with the help of sliders and with camera patch(only on pc ) just trying to recreate a truly football game.
That's a good point and I respect that POV. FIFA 13 was my game of choice this year. I was able to create a better simulation experience overall with FIFA 13 than I was with PES 2013. Part of that though has to do with PES being fundamentally broken in some areas, whereas FIFA is a well-made and tight game all round. But after spending several years editing and modding both games, there's no doubt in my mind that Konami is attempting to create more of a true-to-life football sim than EA is, Konami just haven't been very successful at it.

Okay, fair enough, my comments are not an indictment on anyone's game preference, or their opinions about which game is more fun, better programmed, etc.

But here's an example of what I'm talking about. Konami has spent weeks providing us detailed developer discussions and gameplay videos of their new simulation features and gameplay. What has EA shown? That they now have Goodison Park, face scans of all Spurs players, and ultimate team gold pack incentives.

Konami is directing their marketing info at gamers who get excited about simulation gameplay. EA is directing their marketing info at gamers who get excited about real stadiums, real teams, real player faces and online collectables. Honestly, IMO this issue is in fact entirely black and white on a very real level.

Actually the majority of products are aimed at teens to 20 somethings as they are the biggest group that purchase stuff, so this whole discussion is pretty pointless. What about the ML magic boots in pes? Very sim orientated.

Can we just go back to Jay posting gif's, that was far more interesting than angus harping on...and on...and on...and on.

I been doing this all year on PES 2013 alone.

This is what people have been doing with PES for, well since the PS1 days. It's always been that type of game where you will struggle unless you use all of the tactics available.

I plugged in PES2 a few months ago for my patch to get ratings for the 2002 World Cup, had a few games with Belgium, realised very quickly, your getting nowhere on this game unless you see the tactics to your advantage. Use them at the right time. that was a rather more 'arcadey' pes title an all where it was easy to sprint through teams with fast players.

Can't agree with that; I played PES since PES 4 up until Fifa 11 PC and didn't have to do much messing around with tactics to win games.

Last edited:
All of EA's games are designed for arcade fun. They're easy to pick up and play and developed for the online crowd. So yes, FIFA is designed with young gamers in mind. The fact that you're an older gamer who enjoys FIFA is entirely beside the point. I'm many years older than you and I play FIFA every day. I enjoy it as well. But I understand it's a child's toy version of the sport it's attempting to emulate when compared to simulation sports games like The Show, NBA2K and PES.

I responded to somebody saying its solely aimed at kids. It isn't.
Yes it's a toy as such but as somebody else did mention aswell, how are Manual settings aimed at kiddies to pick up and just play? Not buying that argument at all.

I respect your comment above and I understand where you are coming from. I disagree with the comment I mentioned though.

I responded to somebody saying its solely aimed at kids. It isn't.
Yes it's a toy as such but as somebody else did mention aswell, how are Manual settings aimed at kiddies to pick up and just play? Not buying that argument at all.

I respect your comment above and I understand where you are coming from. I disagree with the comment I mentioned though.
Sounds good thanks, I apologize for any terse comment(s) in my previous posts. I should have explained myself better. FIFA 13 is about the most fun I've had with a video sports game in years, I should probably emphasize that more often when I talk about the FIFA series.

Can't agree with that; I played PES since PES 4 and didn't have to do much messing around with tactics to win games.

100% agree with that. In FIFA and PES.

Then you probably didn't understand the game as much as you could have done.

Its a vital part of football and you cannot have a substantial amount of realism without it.

You can get away with it to an extent but If you didn't explore these options, those matches where you felt the CPU was just too much, or was cheating, the tools are there to win any match.

Well unless your against Barcelona and you have Sparta Rotterdam or something.

It's something I advocate to people, something people used to do but don't anymore. Living in England, it is a very, very tactically naive country now. Look at the issues regarding the English national team and the lack of any good coaches available. Hodgson is the only one I rate in terms of being tactically astute. There is nobody apart from him, these days.

Wales is similar, it seems that Scotland is different, they produce so many good coaches.

It's something people in England do not look into enough with the obsession with 4-4-2 and kick and rush with big, strong, fast, powerful players.

England has just over 1,000 qualified coaches compared to just over 12,000 in Spain. Its sad, even professionals themselves massively lack awareness in the tactical side of the game, they do their job and follow instructions but don't have the understanding of how every specific role works and what it enables and disables.

Weird when you consider England is the home of football and also Sports Interactive an English company produce football manager.

PES is awesome tactically, man mark a right winger with your left back, AI moves the winger to CM, your LB ends up in midfield man marking him.....

I hardly touched tactics in the early Pes games and won everything and neither did my friends.

So to say Pes has had a dependency on tactics for all this time is exaggerating quite a bit.

Sure you could change them and play a certain way to win games, but you could just easily play the same way and still win and stick your keeper up front and score etc etc

Back
Top Bottom