FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

Haven't listened to it yet, can your pro be used in your manager mode as it was for every Fifa until the last one?

I doubt it otherwise it would have probably been mentioned in the podcast somewhere but nothing about that was ever said.

Also when I talk about Be a Pro mode, I'm not talking about using our Created Pro necessarily. I personally never do that.

I take a 'real life' player and work my way up.

In FIFA 13, I took young Turkish/Dutch Nadir Ciftci and worked my way up from the mediocre NAC Breda in Dutch League to La Liga superstar with Deportivo La Coruna before coming to EPL and representing Turkey national team.

That really does suck, and the annoying thing is it was obviously because some tools were hacking their VPs to make them all powerful, instead of tracking down and punishing them we all get punished :(

CM Mode stuff

It's GREAT to hear from you again Scorpio! Hope all is well.
I always look forward to your posts around this time of the year and you never disappoint.

Keep us updated if you find out anything new.

I've had the privilege again this year of going to the communtiy day in Koln (as I'm an editor of the database) to play FIFA14 all day on an XBOX360.

I wasn't looking forward to playing the game, just wanted to meet with the producers again and visit Koln.

As soon as my first game started I was blown away with the fluidity, the slower gameplay, the bad controls, etc. It was like watching a real game. The whole feeling of every single match was amazingly lifelike and very difficult. You really had to think two/three steps ahead when defending or attacking. Aboslutely loved it.

Have to say that it was a build from about a month old.

I was thinking of not buying the current gen version and waiting for the next gen one, especially with GTAV coming in a few weeks. But I just can't play FIFA13 anymore now. I've got to have FIFA14...

Some career mode stuff:

http://news.futhead.com/posts/fifa-14/25505-fifa-14-career-mode-the-new-features

http://news.futhead.com/posts/fifa-14/25518-fifa-14-career-mode-preview

Have to say I'm massively underwhelmed, it's the mode I play exclusively and it seems like they put virtually no effort in this year to add stuff that's been missing for a long time and more importantly fix the numerous things which have big issues, such as regens with black silhouettes and the 8,000 6' 9" right footed left backs the game seems to always end up with. Really don't like the idea of a fog of war either, always turn that crap off in FM.

Thanks for the updates Placebo and Radiation. Always nice to get news about CM mode.

Watched the video - could have been FIFA 13 for me. Didn't see anything jumping out that was different whatsoever.

Could be (Another?) bad year for fans of footie games :(

Biggest news for me from the FUThead interview for me was that we'll now be able to negotiate contracts with end of contracts players in januari and thereby signing them on a free transfer the next summer.

so that's a bummer. I really enjoyed having a Virtual Pro in CM and had hoped they'd add it back.
I play career manager mode using player lock and my created virtual pro. Why not just do that, it works great. It's the only way I play FIFA now, career mode or exhibition mode.

The best thing was playing full manager mode and having your pro in the team and able to build him up. It is ridiculous that they removed it.

They should just lock that pro to your offline game, so people can't use it online, then there is no problem at all. Who cares if somebody is boosting their own pro in their own private game, it has no effect on anybody.

They already have seperate pro for online and when you play in be a pro mode. It doesn't make sense to me.

Agree with you completely, I never play online, never play BAP, just want to have my VP (who I create based on a real Sheffield Wednesday academy player each year) in my CM game.

Bruno and others, is there ANY kind of confirmation that there WILL be a continental club competition for South America in CM mode?

I'd love to try a CM mode in the newly licensed Colombian, Chilean and Argentinian league but if there is no Copa Libertadores and it's just domestic league matches, then it's obviously not as exciting and rewarding as playing in European leagues. :(

Theres a producer that is brazilian, he confirmed a generic american competition in career mode in his twitter, dunno if u can consider that official.

I don't like playing locked to one player find it boring personally :)
Sorry, guess I don't understand what "VP" means. Isn't that your virtual player in BAP mode? And in that mode you play with player lock on.

Yes it's your VP but you used to be able to use him as a member of your squad in career mode, so you can put him on the pitch and control him along with the other 10 players but you still earn the accomplishments and unlocks as standard for VP/BAP, it's just another layer of enjoyment to career mode, which EA Sports decided to remove.

Theres a producer that is brazilian, he confirmed a generic american competition in career mode in his twitter, dunno if u can consider that official.

That's good news.

Ideally there should be two continental South American competitions not just one but hey one is better than none.

If you trust the news and that tweet, then so do I. ;)

Thanks.

I've been looking at the CM articles that have been coming out and off the pitch at least, Fifa 14 CG is looking very encouraging; I especially like the more streamlined way they've made the menus, although the game still appears to have the archaic and clunky formation/tactics editing screen. It's going to come down to the demo: if the gameplay has changed enough in my opinion, I'll probably buy it - maybe not on release but at some point. This might be one of those rare occasions where I buy both - PES for BaL and Fifa for CM.

One other thing - seems to me that even the 'NG' versions of Fifa still have those crappy two man celebrations - unless I've been watching the wrong videos.

One of the things I do like about Fifa 14 CG is by the sounds of it, the commentators make even more of an effort to make it feel as though there's a proper football world going on out there - for example they'll talk about other teams' transfer rumours and they'll mention when certain players are on a good goalscoring streak or similar. OK, maybe some of that featured last year in 'Matchday', but it didn't make it into CM. Seems to have done so this year.

Incidentally, do we have any news about Be a Pro, and is there still a fifteen season limit on CM?

Yes, it does show two player goal celebration.. In fact, it seems not much changed from CG version..

Another goal celebration @9:13

YouTube - FIFA 14 Demo Full Gameplay (Xbox One & PS4) | Bayern Munich - Borussia Dortmund

I wonder what EA's excuse is now? They've got this massive new hardware to play with, yet they still can't do proper team celebrations?

I always say that you can't tell much from videos - you have to get your hands on the game - but I agree; it doesn't appear all that different from Fifa CG, apart from a shinier engine. That's why I'll never understand people who are going to go ahead and spend £40 on the 'CG' version, and then spend the same, or more, on the same game with a shinier engine...

Don't like the jigglyness of the players as they move/turn. It feels odd. Some passes seem too fast for what's being animated too, a little toe poke zooms across the pitch :(

This looks so much better than the last videos. It's got me excited again...

Looks good.

Even better would be If you can find (the now deleted) gamersyde footage it's shot at 60fps and doesn't suffer from making the game look fast.

The guy couldnt play at all but it was 1080p and 60fps so you can clearly see that thy have slowed it down and weight is applied to everything.

I've seen vids of Fifa from gamescom in the past then played preview code and its waaay slower.

Can't find a link, anyone know of a link to that gamersyde vid before it was removed?

I don't like playing locked to one player find it boring personally :)

Yep, terribly boring for me too. If I wanted to run around a bunch and hardly touch the ball, I'd just go play the real thing!

That said, I'm glad that other people enjoy it and don't wish that they remove BAP, because I know how much it sucks when EA remove a feature that you really like. Bastards.

They appear to have gone to town on the pre-KO intro cut-scenes that everyone will skip after the first couple of views.

Seriously, been a hardcore FIFA player for the past 4,5 years, played and enjoyed 13, but after watching this last video(next gen) i just dont see anything really new on it, besides gfx and a few new animations(all the goals feel cheap and very alike 13, 12, 11). Offcourse ill still buy it (current and next gen) but i have a feeling PES will take most of my time this season.

Seriously, been a hardcore FIFA player for the past 4,5 years, played and enjoyed 13, but after watching this last video(next gen) i just dont see anything really new on it, besides gfx and a few new animations(all the goals feel cheap and very alike 13, 12, 11). Offcourse ill still buy it (current and next gen) but i have a feeling PES will take most of my time this season.

Looking at all the vids, my feelings regarding FIFA 14 are similar.

That said, people who've actually had hands-on time with FIFA 14, especially next-gen, are speaking highly of the changes/additions. So I'm thinking that it's just that we need to play it before we can fully notice and appreciate the changes.

It's the same every year: the early vids are released and the gameplay updates look nothing special; then we play it and enjoy the new version (at least those of us seemingly few in here who actually like FIFA.)

...and then we get bored and sick of it after a few months, and suffer through various forms of withdrawal and depression until the next version is released.

That said, people who've actually had hands-on time with FIFA 14, especially next-gen, are speaking highly of the changes/additions. So I'm thinking that it's just that we need to play it before we can fully notice and appreciate the changes.

It's the same every year: the early vids are released and the gameplay updates look nothing special; then we play it and enjoy the new version (at least those of us seemingly few in here who actually like FIFA.)

...and then we get bored and sick of it after a few months, and suffer through various forms of withdrawal and depression until the next version is released.

Perfect review! lol

But hey, it happens those exact same things to me, specially the part in bold lol... but like i said, no doubt ill buy both versions of FIFA, i buy all footy games every single year(PES, FIFA and FM) regardless. FIFA will be kind of a safe port for me this season, if PES fails to enchant me like its doing now, i know ill be cool playing FIFA for months, maybe evan for the hole year with next gen and all.

Perfect review! lol

But hey, it happens those exact same things to me, specially the part in bold lol... but like i said, no doubt ill buy both versions of FIFA, i buy all footy games every single year(PES, FIFA and FM) regardless. FIFA will be kind of a safe port for me this season, if PES fails to enchant me like its doing now, i know ill be cool playing FIFA for months, maybe evan for the hole year with next gen and all.

Yeah, FIFA has a good chance of lasting longer this year considering you've got CG and NG versions, and then possibly/hopefully a WC version too.

PES looks like an intriguing diversion, but unless they've massively overhauled and updated Master League, it'll only be that for me: a diversion.

Yeah, FIFA has a good chance of lasting longer this year considering you've got CG and NG versions, and then possibly/hopefully a WC version too.

PES looks like an intriguing diversion, but unless they've massively overhauled and updated Master League, it'll only be that for me: a diversion.

Theres that side of things too, atm im only thinking about on the pitch stuff, gameplay... forgot to think about ML and all, i mean if it was back in the day the best gameplay would do it for me as i would call some mates 3, 4 times a week with some beers and we would have a blast playing the shit out of it... now we're all old and have lifes so thats a no go, gotta think about the longivity of the game and that definatly envolves wich modes are we be able to play in the long run... the lack of licensing of PES doesnt bother me since ill go PC(for 1080p and mods) but that wont cut it out if ML is as bad as now.

I think there's a lot of hype around the next-gen version which really just comes down to it being next-gen, with all the graphical/living worlds upgrades. Questioning Asim, who seems more positive about FIFA than PES, he seemed to feel the gameplay differences between CG/NG are "not huge".

Between the footage I see and the impressions I read, I'm just not that convinced. I'm particularly worried about Precision Movement. A proper overhaul to player movement should have people raving about it, it should be something which absolutely alters the way you play and the way the game plays. It doesn't appear to do that, and very few people are stating that it does that.

I'm as excited and hopeful as ever, but I'm not that optimistic. The problem with the modular approach EA now have is simply that, year after year after year the same flaws are apparent. That we're still going to have the same assisted passing from the current-gen in next-gen is so depressing. A crap system from FIFA 07, making it's way into the next gen FIFA 14?! Why EA?!

Last edited:

I wonder what EA's excuse is now? They've got this massive new hardware to play with, yet they still can't do proper team celebrations?

I always say that you can't tell much from videos - you have to get your hands on the game - but I agree; it doesn't appear all that different from Fifa CG, apart from a shinier engine. That's why I'll never understand people who are going to go ahead and spend £40 on the 'CG' version, and then spend the same, or more, on the same game with a shinier engine...

Good point, In addition to EA's joke to PC version/owner, can't handle ignite engine. Hmm well, surely their frostbite engine makes it way in multiplatform games (nonexclusives) e.g BF4 :SMUG: Ok, i'll stop since there's separate thread for that :COOL:

@Rodelero

I think whenever the core game engine itself the same.. we'll see something similiar in core gameplay too.. I need to read back what's actually ignite engine means for ea's sports franchise.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/26/ignite-engine-lets-ea-sports-invest-and-innovate-on-a-single-code-base/

The comments there are also interesting to read :))

I think there's a lot of hype around the next-gen version which really just comes down to it being next-gen, with all the graphical/living worlds upgrades. Questioning Asim, who seems more positive about FIFA than PES, he seemed to feel the gameplay differences between CG/NG are "not huge".

Yes, well I'm not sure how much to trust Asim's opinion but I'm not expecting "huge" anyways. I've been let down far too many times by EA to think that.

I'm not expecting a huge leap in gameplay mechanics at least. It does look like Living Worlds might be a substantial addition, though crowds and atmosphere have never been one of my top priorities.

Between the footage I see and the impressions I read, I'm just not that convinced. I'm particularly worried about Precision Movement. A proper overhaul to player movement should have people raving about it, it should be something which absolutely alters the way you play and the way the game plays. It doesn't appear to do that, and very few people are stating that it does that.

But I guess I wonder whether there's even a necessity for Precision Movement to "absolutely alter the way you play and the way the game plays." We all know that there is inertia in FIFA. It is there, just not always. It's inconsistent, and because of these inconsistencies, when the game physics do fail it is especially noticeable and frustrating.

I want realistic player physics as much as anyone, but if I'm EA, I'm not going to massively overhaul the way the game plays and feels when they already have such a successful juggernaut in FIFA.

Still, it's hard to know who's opinion to trust. While some have reported that they didn't see a massive leap with next gen FIFA 14, others have said the opposite, mentioning that Precision Movement forced them to think more and be more considerate with their movement choices. I agree, I'm not really seeing as large a difference in the gameplay vids as I'd like to, but I've also learned to put little to no stock in these early pre-release gameplay videos.

I'm still excited about Precision Movement - excited within reason at least - and I'll continue to be until I get my hands on it for myself. And then I'm sure I'll go on to bitch and moan about it not being enough of a change.

Anyways, I'm actually the most disappointed with what we're hearing about Pro Instincts and the next gen AI improvements. I had hoped the focus would have been on improved footballing intelligence, improved team play and greater variety in how teams perform. Instead, from what Rutter has said and other interviews and press items, it sounds like this feature is more centered on player collision physics, which is where all the new animations come in. So far it doesn't sound like there's a leap in the AI "footballing intelligence" and for me, that's the greatest concern right now going into FIFA 14 next gen.

That and the fact that it looks like EA are screwing us again by giving us the same team formation/management interface. But I guess improving stadiums, crowds, and atmosphere is a better way to show off next gen tech than better menus.

Back
Top Bottom