FIFA 13

That's a shame I'll wait and see what it's like on final release definitely something I'm considering 3 30'' monitors :COOL:

Don't hold your breath. Last year Ian fed us a huge pile of shit prior to release about how Surround/Eyefinity is going to be supported and...it wasn't.

Same thing this year. They said they "tested" it. Who the F did the testing? A blind man?

1st touch can be done by holding sprint as you receive it, you risk having a poor touch and turning over possession but it can also create space you otherwise wouldn't have. Same for all other scenario's you can think of just by turning the analog stick a certain direction (without holding sprint)

Controlled Dribbling LT+RT or L2+R2 on PS3

i see what u mean so if you want the ball to stick to your feet just dotn move when u receive it but if you want to knock the ball on sprint in that direction u want the ball to be knoced into?

I notice sometimes it knocks up in air also,,,its random? then u can volley etc

Love the demo first game I beat the AI with the ball without any skill moves on legendary just using the sprint and regular movement controls.
Then seeing a full back overlap me on the wing for the first time on regular slider settings without my input was an amazing moment.
Might need to toughen up the AI tho with the sliders won all my game on legendary using several teams including Dortmund.

Last edited:
What are you supposed to do with that file, and does it work?

Just put it inside the game folder and yes it work. You can change it too inside. But you should probably remove the skip bootleg as that will skip the squad update etc. So that's why you will see RVP still with Arsenal. :SMUG:
EDIT:
Apparently, you need that skip bootleg or else the half time won't work. Fuck.

Last edited:
I like how lofted through passes or just sheer longball tactics are more viable now.

Few little bugs with player-switching tho

Day lighting looks much better as well. I set a City vs Arsenal 4pm kickoff, using co-op cam with the lowest height, after playing a bunch of night games and was slightly blown away for a second or two. Just a pity that it doesn't have weather and lighting variation/changes/progression during a match.

(PC version with the demo unlocker)

Last edited:
Someone mentioned previously no fouls in the air- not true, I had Mexes win a header unfairly and properly barged me in the back of the head with a forearm, looked good on the replay. Think he got booked too IIRC.

Seen a couple of fouls give bookings for pushes too when as Mertesacker I outmuscled an attacking a bit too aggressively when both going for a ball side by side.

I also saw the CPU get a couple of yards space 30 yards out with arteta and he spanked it low and hard into the bottom corner. Brilliant.

played a few games lat night, love it..slow pace full manual..its hard to sore but thats a good thing and doesnt feel like you are being cheated. Scored a great goal with Pato taking on the chest then volleying home. Not going to go into all the subtle improvements but one thing i dd notice was its no longer easy to just push the right stick and beat defenders down the wings. This was needed in my opinion. Impact engine is very polished now too

Love the demo, not liking playing against the computer though - I only play online so not judging it massively before the retail version comes out

How's the passing speed? I felt the default speed last year was too slow. Had to d/l the demo overnight as it came out around 10.30pm Aus time and I haven't played it yet.

Professional seems a lot easier than Fifa 12 (which I only played on Professional). I had to switch up to world class, to get the same level. I like that it's much easier to get the ball off the AI, especially due to first touch. No more running from one end to the other, trying to pry off the ball fromt their perfect passes.

Anyone been able to get more than 3mins halves without screwing up squad update ? It only works for me when i disable intro which remove online connection and im stuck with default rosters and van persie in arsenal.

Last edited:
Has a few games now although not applied the time patch yet. I think there is definitely evidence of inertia, maybe not as much as some people want nut i have seen players running then a short pass and they haven't spun round to gather the ball, they got caught on there heels. Also seen some individuality, Toure is a beast for City and hard to beat. Seen some great moments with the first touch feature..Think you're going to score a goal and the first touch is poor, defender nips in and player kicks thin air...looks v nice...Also the push/pull with defenders and attackers looks fantastic with some great tussles a and some good advantage by the ref...all in all very solid..I also find slow speed, sliders set at 49/49 for accel and speed a good setting..The game actually forces you to stop and play through midfield or at least it does on manual

Professional seems a lot easier than Fifa 12 (which I only played on Professional). I had to switch up to world class, to get the same level. I like that it's much easier to get the ball off the AI, especially due to first touch. No more running from one end to the other, trying to pry off the ball fromt their perfect passes.

I found that it was a lot harder to score on professional, but easier to keep possession. The AI just seems to sit back and form a wall, making it harder to create chances. Meanwhile it's FAR too easy to keep the ball and pass it around.

I'll try world class tonight, see if that gives a good middle ground where the AI is more aggressive.

Has a few games now although not applied the time patch yet. I think there is definitely evidence of inertia, maybe not as much as some people want nut i have seen players running then a short pass and they haven't spun round to gather the ball, they got caught on there heels. Also seen some individuality, Toure is a beast for City and hard to beat. Seen some great moments with the first touch feature..Think you're going to score a goal and the first touch is poor, defender nips in and player kicks thin air...looks v nice...Also the push/pull with defenders and attackers looks fantastic with some great tussles a and some good advantage by the ref...all in all very solid..I also find slow speed, sliders set at 49/49 for accel and speed a good setting..The game actually forces you to stop and play through midfield or at least it does on manual

Exactly my thoughts... because defender AI is blocking passing lanes more i find myself passing backwards and sideways alot more to get space.

On manual drilled long pass is your friend. If you need to switch side quickly thats how to create the space.

i'm loving this game and pray they don't change anything (apart from maybe a dip in speed).

Also i feel less cheated when i lose, i hope that the case on online. I lost 3-0 to Juventus on professional (embarrassing) yet it was one of the best games i played all night.

After 10 hours playing the demo i have to say that fifa13 will be the best football game ever created. Better in all sections than fifa12. Well done EA, but make the final version a little bit slower...

Its in the game ! The game is simply amazing. Shoots are juicy ! Weight of the ball, players is finally the way it should be. The changes are subtle but taking them all together gives us a big step forward. Im amazed ! Its ultra fluid. New animations, situations on the pitch its real sim football. Also, on world class is very hard. It really is fun to play against cpu. AI is much improved, u can create whatever u want on the pitch and it looks so real.

Last edited:
Yeah, the frantic pace sort of ruins the demo for me. At times its break-neck speed is more reminiscent of basketball or hockey. It's too fast for the nuances of the game to be enjoyed and only emphasizes the lack of player momentum.

First touch might not be revolutionary but it definitely changes the game. The more I play the more I see its impact.

AI improvements are just "okay" for me. Teammate runs much improved but still lacking at times. CPU attack is still too easy to defend.

Really disappointed with dribbling, but maybe that's connected with the frantic pace of the game. That combined with players moving so unrealistically, turning, accelerating and decelerating too quickly, and little realistic momentum.

I like that passing error seems to have been improved - both through more directional error but also through the increased interceptions.

All that said, I've never really enjoyed the FIFA demos - they're far too short to get anything out of IMO. I'm sure FIFA 13 will be quality and likely more enjoyable than last year, thanks to the AI and first touch improvements, but at this point next gen can't arrive quick enough for me.

^^This!! The game does benefit a lot with adjusting the sliders, not sure but it seems that sliders have more impact this year..?
All in all i like the demo a lot, and Im positive about the full release.

One question. I have friend in india, and can he buy box version of fifa and send me that cdkey. And i will enter that cdkey in origin and download game?TY

I feel you have more time on the ball in this game against the computer, but I think it is more real to life in that respects (Players do have more time on the ball when you look at a football game, depending on the game obviously). You have time to gather the ball and spread the play. Which I think mirrors real life unless you play against Barcelona I would imagine.

I feel like it benefits me if I play around the midfield more, obviously you can still go route 1 but when I dink it about midfield, then players do come out of position and with the new player attacking runs (Running into space) helps you carve out chances which look and feel really nice.

again it just feels more lifelike when playing for me. Obviously it wont feel like this online as everybody will be pressuring, but I like it on the vs computer.

Also I agree with Jonney_on I also feel less cheated in this demo, usually there are always things where I am saying 'Oh come on!...' swearing quite a lot and being very frustrated. In this demo if I have had maybe 2 moments where I did that and I was playing it from when I downloaded it (right when it came out on xbox) until about 23:30.

I am playing on slow, for me it doesn't seem that fast at all? I'm playing on a 32" TV (If that makes a difference?). The slower the better for me, I haven't tried normal yet, so I will try that and see.

Oh yeah and the shots have more dip which is great, hit a couple of raspers that dipped and came off of the cross bar, I thought they were going wide/high but they dipped, it felt good!

Also should mention that I was pulled up (and the CPU once or twice) for obstruction, which was great to see. As Hitman said, there feels like there's a bit more inertia and I'd go barreling in and just take out a player and actually get a foul against me.

I can't remember the official phrase, but the physics engine feels better and worse. Players don't seem to go in a tangled mess as much, but then I'll be taking a goalkick and my defender will just fall flat on his arse from seemingly nothing.

Wasn't the FIFA 12 demo quite different to the full game? I seem to remember not overly enjoying the demo but really liked the full game. I'm hoping they refine this demo a bit, mainly knocking down the speed of the game, and I imagine I'll love the full game.

As a side note, 3D isn't as nice on this as it is in PES. There's a LITTLE bit of depth in there but maybe I can change the camera angle from the default and notice it more. Not that many (any) people will play this in 3D anyway, I guess.

I found that it was a lot harder to score on professional, but easier to keep possession. The AI just seems to sit back and form a wall, making it harder to create chances. Meanwhile it's FAR too easy to keep the ball and pass it around.

I'll try world class tonight, see if that gives a good middle ground where the AI is more aggressive.
I play Legendary Dagsy and I can tell you mate its far from easy to keep the ball. The CPU Pressurizes you a lot better than it did on World Class for me.

I play Legendary Dagsy and I can tell you mate its far from easy to keep the ball. The CPU Pressurizes you a lot better than it did on World Class for me.

Good to hear. Pressure is a fine line, for me. I think it was FIFA 11 which was a pressure-fest? I HATED that pressure, but then FIFA 12 went more the other way where I always had 60% possession and the CPU never got tired of not having the ball.

It's that kind of thing which AI needs to try to replicate, where a human would get frustrated at things like constantly chasing and try to force something.

There's a decent game under all that breakneck speed, hopefully full release will be a lot slower and tactical but on the demo and whether it's just a demo thing, it's basketball.

Love the swerve on freekicks in practise. But i feel it's a tad speedy. But a good update, not buy a long stretch a different game. Come on EA £40-50 for this?

Hi Placebo, are you going to finely tune the sliders for FIFA13 as you did for FIFA12? Your slider set up was so good - complete game changer for me :)

Yep definitely, won't be until 22nd at the earliest though as I have no plans to play the demo any further and we don't know how much the code will be changed so also not much point in that regard :)

Okay, first off the game plays faster than then slider settings that I incorporated into my FIFA 12 games, but I never really played much of FIFA 12 default sliders anyway. From what I'm gathering, FIFA 13 is faster with the defaults.

That said, although the defensive AI hasn't necessarily improved in terms of player positioning from last year, I am finding the responsiveness of player switching to be much improved. So much so that the game, defensively anyway, becomes at least bearable.

I'm with some on here too, there is definitely improvement with inertia and momentum, it may not be as prevalent as PES, but at least I feel that the CPU will not just simply turn on a sixpence anymore and get that CPU cheat goal, and that I can usher attacks into non threatening areas.

My first game was as Man City v Arsenal, it finished 2-1 to me. This was on World Class. Did I enjoy it? It must be said, yes! Great fun actually. Was it sim like? Um, probably not, although my first FIFA 13 goal was this, inside about forty seconds and it did blow me away for a moment. Just the movement of Nasri, leaving two players for dead, without any skillz moves, just perfect body weight shift and using CPU momentum.

YouTube - FIFA 13 Demo, first goal of FIFA 13 era

There are encouraging signs, a lot of subtle elements that I'm liking. If they could tone down the pace for final release I think it may appease the sim fans out there and make it appear less arcade like.

First few games, I was really impressed. Had a break. Went back to it and wasn't so impressed. Had a break (the Battlefield 3 DLC was out yesterday too, you know). Went back to it and was impressed again.

This is weird but I'm not having an issue with the speed on normal - maybe I'm just used to it after years of playing FIFA, and online, and I'm not noticing it? Too much virtual football and not enough Sky Sports 1. But I couldn't agree with Bitter more (if bags of people complain about it and get it slowed down or patched for the final game, then slower is always better, IMHO).

The attacking AI is definitely more intelligent. It's still not quite up to the "wow" moments I've seen in the PES 2013 demo - Rooney totally abandoning his slow jog and sprinting like Usain Bolt for the penalty spot without my input still amazes me, and moreover the fact that the move came together and ended up with a beautiful goal.

The only way I can think of to describe it is that in FIFA your teammates seem to stick around you, constrained within a circle and waiting for a little dink of a pass - whereas in the PES demo that constraint doesn't seem to be there and players will start moving one way, then another, then decide on a final destination and it all feels independent of you being the player on the pitch who's "human".

(In the same way that Be A Pro, you request a pass and you get a pass, because you're human - so it's all about you, and I don't like that.)

But sadly, the rest of PES 2013 feels too rigid to enjoy to me, whereas the FIFA 13 demo is so fluid it feels good. And the improvement that has been made to the attacking intelligence is enough to keep me playing, and enjoying all the little changes they've made.

Players will slightly alter runs and be more intelligent in terms of "a pass if I'm standing here will never make it, I'll pull back a bit". But I'm still scoring goals (against the CPU) the same way I always do in 12 - get it to a winger, do a 180, pass to a central midfielder, dribble, shoot (or lay it off). Wing, turn, pass, shoot/lay-off.

Yet it seems a lot more fair - the physical game doesn't mean you've got someone glued to you and you're barged off the ball all the time even on "Legendary" (which I can enjoy a lot more now because of this lack of "cheating") - so if I start trying more things, I'll have more ways of getting goals, and some of the goals I managed last night have shown that.

My last three games though - and I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has had this happen...

I managed to create 4-5 clear chances in the box, and when I've pressed shoot, the guy has took so long to respond to the button press that the keeper's run out and bundled the ball off me, or a defender's come from the side to boot the ball away from me.

I'm wondering if maybe with the "bullying" toned down a bit, this is how the CPU keeps things even on the higher difficulty settings now, which is an old-school PES tactic. Once, and I'd have moaned. Twice, and I'd have been fuming. But last night I was ready to smack the controller against the wall.

Hopefully it's just pure coincidence. I've also seen a few CPU fouls against me - even a penalty - alongside the odd misjudge of a pass. This I hope isn't a coincidence.

Probably what I've enjoyed the most though is the CPU shooting from random places. You're backing off, getting ready for the inevitable "dribble-dribble-dribble, get to the line, turn around, dribble-dribble-dribble, two inches from the goalkeeper they shoot and score" routine. Suddenly, in the middle of midfield, bam. Hits the crossbar and goes over. What?

You forget that's what should happen (sometimes) because you get so used to the logic of a football game, and you're "in the zone", you forget this is a representation of football and what a footballer would actually do. So that took me out of the game for a second, that little moment where you go "woah, that doesn't happen in FIFA".

There's loads of little things like that - and all these little things add up. But I was relatively happy with FIFA 12 so I was always going to be happy with a revamp rather than a revolution.

The day PES becomes as fluid and less stiff, on rails and all the things it's been for too long, I think it'll be a much closer decision, for me personally. But the bottom line for me is that the attacking AI is improved, the CPU is more about positioning than ramming you off the ball, and it can surprise you (until you get used to it, obviously) by trying a shot from outside the box. So it's got all the things I need to make me happy for another year.

Last edited:
when I've pressed shoot, the guy has took so long to respond to the button press that the keeper's run out and bundled the ball off me, or a defender's come from the side to boot the ball away from me.

I've experienced that a lot. I was hoping for more of a quick snapshot, just hitting it quickly, but there seemed to be that delay and then the player takes a little longer to pull his leg back ... and the defender blocks it.

It's probably just me trying to force a shot too quickly but it definitely felt like I couldn't hit a quick shot when I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom