FIFA 13

YouTube - FIFA 13 Man City v Borussia Dortmund Gamescom 2012 Gameplay

Not sure if this video has been posted yet but looks quite nice, I think the first touches, dribbling and general ball physics seem nicely tweaked and slightly more realistic and varied than Fifa 12.

Also funny to note a player in the Dortmund wall getting booked during that free kick.

Have to say I found Career Mode in Fifa 12 largely playable so seeing these on field tweaks combined with the CM tweaks makes me very excited for this years offering.

Oh and I love that they finally animated ground staff/press/substitues/managers - has been one of my biggest wishes for ages just in terms of match day immersion (scoring the winner and going to celebrate in front of the press/manager etc!)

Good to know that horrendous touch defenders do facing their own goal to let striker's immediately through 1-on-1 is still in (1:12)... Also, to top it off, his attempts at a clearance was read by the game as 'hack the cunt from behind'. Same old, same old.

To those saying they are struggling to see the 'first touch' feature... It was certainly a very noticeable factor in the build I played in June. Having said that, I do think it's one of those features you will notice a lot more when you are actually playing - when watching a video you don't know what they are asking for so it's very difficult for you to know whether there was error on the touch or not.

It definitely doesn't seem that pronounced on these videos - certainly less so than it was when I played in June - but I'd definitely wait on the demo with the first touch because it is something you have to feel.

because a game as advanced and with so many installments as fifa to completely ignore how the physics of how players move is pathetic

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

So lads is 2v2 ranked with a local guest player playing with you on the same console or is it over Live/PSN? I really wanna know as I enjoy some 2v2's with some of my mates and I'm sick of friendly matches that don't count for anything like.

because a game as advanced and with so many installments as fifa to completely ignore how the physics of how players move is pathetic

For once, I agree with you Matty.

And to the people saying you can beat players without tricks...show me video's of how you're doing it. I agree that human vs human you can do it with good timing and it looks nice (I love doing the knock around trick against a pressure hungry friend of mine :P).

But the AI doesn't jump into challenges and it reacts too quickly so using tricks or pace (right stick knock on for example) is an easy way to do it compared to a subtle change of direction with dribbling.

You may be able to do it through dribbling but it certainly doesn't feel like it. I very rarely, if ever, get the feeling of wow, I've just skinned that player through a smart shift of my body. And if so many FIFA fans thing it's not important, then the gameplay won't ever improve.

Everything else on FIFA has been polished since they started rebuilding back in 08, yet there hasn't been any time to even slightly improve inertia? Give me a break lol

Game video's are deceiving. Nobody will know how good the game is until they actually get their hands on it and play it for themselves.

He said prove it with videos not words :).

You can beat AI without tricks up to Professional I believe. On World Class and Legendary... Good luck! (without editing sliders, editing is for nabz :P)

I use something similar to Placebo's sliders and don't think that helps out the problem much. I find that you either pass your way around or outsprint people. There's not much, if any (that I've seen) beating a man with a close dribble. Might also have to do with the tackling radius of the AI.

The other thing is that the lack of inertia makes it cringeworthy sometimes to watch the AI hold onto the ball by moving like a slalom skiier from left to right. No way can they do that in real life. If I'm clever enough to close down an angle, it should force them into a tight spot, not just turn the other way and then back and forth until they've shaken me. How many times do real footballers move like that from side to side?

I don't see the need to provide video proof. It's quite easy to do if you know what you're doing. Usually I just use LT to cut inside and then tap the right stick to knock it by them.

And Calcio, my main complaint with Placebo's sliders (as good as they are, and they're VERY good) was that dribbling became a bit too easy.

Edit: Here, proof. This was on Legendary Napoli 1 – 0 Genoa | EA SPORTS

Last edited:
Thanks for the video but it kind of illustrates my point. And no dis-respect meant to you mate, but you've turned him well but then you had to flick the stick to sprint into space. You should be able to take a normal touch and move past him once you've stepped inside. Even though you fooled him, as soon as you move past him he reacts. There's no sense of leaving him flat footed for a yard or two.

I guess it could be the nature of the animation system up until now. Certain element of pes normal dribbling may not be seen in current fifa. It could also be area that majority of fifa costumer does not think important. However, cant wait to see the demo myself.

I'm kinda disappointed with the videos, though, I will admit, it is impossible to tell anything until you actually play it. The PES demo looked near identical in videos initially, but the demo shows it's a totally different game, so hopefully FIFA13 will be too.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get over the ball physics, it totally puts me off the game. It has no sense of weight to it, like a floaty beachball at times, mostly when passing and controlling the ball - shots can go off like bullets, but passes are oddly 'soft' and bobbly, and it's something I really can't overlook.

For once, I agree with you Matty.

And to the people saying you can beat players without tricks...show me video's of how you're doing it. I agree that human vs human you can do it with good timing and it looks nice (I love doing the knock around trick against a pressure hungry friend of mine :P).

It can be done but not on a regular ocassion, it is frustrating how players can shift their body weight perfectly and react quickly aswell.

Against another human dribbling like iniesta past players can be done with no sprint/knock on but that largely comes down to the player jumping into tackles.

I'm kinda disappointed with the videos, though, I will admit, it is impossible to tell anything until you actually play it. The PES demo looked near identical in videos initially, but the demo shows it's a totally different game, so hopefully FIFA13 will be too.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get over the ball physics, it totally puts me off the game. It has no sense of weight to it, like a floaty beachball at times, mostly when passing and controlling the ball - shots can go off like bullets, but passes are oddly 'soft' and bobbly, and it's something I really can't overlook.

All hail manual settings and sliders! :)

Ok managed to get about 5-6 games with it, all manual vs assisted, couldn't get time with CPU.

Will post a few things that i haven't seen others mention, first the graphics, They are crystal clear, definitely a step up (not huge) as is the 'smoothness' of the animations. I was weary of mentioning them because it might have been down to the TV's they had but i don't think so. Lighting better and transitional animations better. Although the new 1-2 animations get old really quick, be nice if they didn't do it every time.

Two - First touch, as i thought, its more prominent when your playing than off the videos. What i will say is it might be ANOTHER hindrance to manual players. As it happens with direction effect too. Although, there's a part of me that thinks if you perfected it, manual players could use it as a tactic. I beat a few players because my first touch was heavy and they were pressuring and get wrong footed.

Assisted opponents defo saw the first touch problem less than my players, because their passes were close to perfect. Only really over hitting causes a bad touch. A bit like the passing error (or lack of) last year.

Three - Manual controls. Seemed less assisted than 12. I misplaced more than i would in 12 (this could've been the controller - i'm 360 and all versions at the demo were PS3). Also think theres a slight adjust ment on weight, i felt i could hold the power longer without it flying off.

Four - Speed - As everyone thought, games speed is no where near what the videos make it look like. Although i did see a ping pong game that depressed me a little. It looked like it took two to ruin the game though, because i was playing a few players who ping-ponged but i still felt i could slow the game down.

Five - Inertia... (Just for the guy that thinks we are obsessed.) Its there a little bit more. Just without proper animations for it. Dont want people to get excited, but the taller/heavier players took alot long to get up to full speed. So big CB's against Aguero were definitely at disadvantage short distance, but would catch him over longer. Therefore you could beat them without skill moves. Pray its stays like that for the release because it subtle but its better.

Six - Fatigue - Might be the thing i'm most happy with. Players were tired ALOT more overall, also I sent Yaya on a run from deep in my own half, by the time he received it near the edge of the box he was tired and i had to hold it up, rather than take a defender on. He 'felt' tired too... definitely slower to get up to speed.

Couple of things i didn't see.... - Sheilding - Weren't players supposed to instinctively protect the ball? I used shield a few times and they still nicked it off me. I was hoping that would be more prominent in the fight against pressure whores. Like the World Cup game was

The new dribble system - i changed to my own preferred controller setup and i couldn't for the life off me find the new dribble button. God knows where it goes on my control scheme, so i cant comment on that.

EDIT: missed one thing off - Slide tackles, they were alot more powerful, maybe too much. The amount of times i got had by them because i was 'charging' up a manual pass was alot more.. If it was me id tame them a bit. Although, when you won a tackle you usually kept possession. Fine tuning..

Vids are below.. nothing great, first one, two kids, who clearly hadn't played before. Second vid is a guy against CPU on legendary and he was semi on everything but passing i think.

http://youtu.be/wYerpioBKd0

http://youtu.be/BiyhAJHnlnM

Last edited:
Johnny.. thx for your impression man.. the speed seems ok for an epl match

LOL at how GK catches the shot at the end of the vid..

Yeah there were some shocking players there.... Still feel better after having it my hands though. Worried a little about the defending. I think online people will go with 5 at the back again, i can still see the 5-2-1-2 clubs exploit working quite well.

Basically instead of whoever defends best wins. It seemed to be, whoever has the most defenders wins. Will take more than 6 games to judge that though.

Back
Top Bottom