FIFA 13

I never relise how EA lost Champions League...

I think they put it in their loose trouser pockets, fell asleep on the sofa and then it fell down the back of the sofa. This is where PES found it.

EA were always careless with it though, I remember a friend who knew EA and they kept panicking saying 'Oh my god where did I put the Champions League?!' and nearly every time, he had to tell them it was behind their ear :ROLL:

If they felt they were worth the money to keep they would undoubtedly still have them, EA can easily outspend Konami when it comes to licenses, if they so chose.

Oh, I totally see the logic in it - it's absolutely realistic that a club might not release all transfer funds gained toward new recruits and instead use some toward other purposes.

My point is that as a video game feature, I'm surprised they bothered to add this. Maybe there are people who'd appreciate this added realism but personally I'm always trying to maximize my transfer funds. But maybe that's just because I almost always play with smaller clubs.

It's all about priorities in how the devs choose to devote their resources, and I'm just surprised that they'd prioritize this over other things. But this certainly isn't the first time that their decisions have been at odds with what I'd do, so whatever.

This is oversimplifying things because it doesn't consider the resource cost, which in this case is tiny. What higher priority change could EA have made that involved

• adding a multiplier into an equation
  • sticking a slider in a menu somewhere
  • CM only and doesn't need any work from the gameplay team
  • minimal balancing or performance work?

This is the sort of thing that a single dev could get working in a matter of minutes. I'm not sure what has missed out because of this in your eyes?

In addition the reduction in transfer funds recouped slows the rate of star player transfers, ensuring a bit more stability in the market than there has been of late without having to arbitrarily apply different levels of AI 'willingness' to do business. It's more than just authenticity for authenticity's sake, as I understand it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what has missed out because of this in your eyes?

12 subs for friendlies?
Free transfers can be signed year round?

Not saying they missed out because of it, but two things that would also take similarly simple fixes and would have added a lot more for me personally...

I didn't say it would "add a lot", I said it would add a lot "more" for me personally than an "improvement" that reduces income by minimum 15% when it's already pretty hard to improve lesser teams due to poorly implemented finances.

They say they added a transfer fee deduction for realism purposes, and yet friendlies still only allow for 3 subs, which adds more or less to realism?

Subs would not fit into that category. For a start it'd need the gameplay team to ensure the game can handle that many substitutes in memory for the highlights (so you don't end up with goals scored by invisible players for example). If it was as simple as just changing a number based on the competition it'd be done inside 10 minutes.

Free transfers would need some sort of exception to be written outside of the standard transfer regulations, which would have to be extensively quality controlled to ensure a certain combination of factors won't inadvertently allow transfers to take place all year round (which would be a disaster). It'd also need the CPU to be taught to consider free transfers outside the transfer window, and to be able to decide whether to go for that option or to hold out for a player only available during the next window.

It'd be unfair to look at EA's list of changes and consider everything they've done to be higher in their list of priorities than everything they haven't.

You make fair points. I guess I'm probably just a tad bitter that this was the "big" announcement that was withheld from the earlier CM news and was hoping for something a bit more substantial.

But isn't this an option that only affects our own club's transfer funds? That was my impression, and if that's the case, it wouldn't have the impact on overall transfers that you imply. It would only increase the difficulty for yourself. And unless your playing with a top club, it's hard enough as it is, as Placebo mentions.

I'm all for giving us as many options as possible. There's just plenty others that I'd prioritize higher. Like being able to adjust the speed of player growth for example.

Last edited:
You make fair points. I guess I'm probably just a tad bitter that this was the "big" announcement that was withheld from the earlier CM news and was hoping for something a bit more substantial.
I thought it was the ability to have European competition in the 1st season - was this held back too?

But isn't this an option that only affects our own club's transfer funds? That was my impression, and if that's the case, it wouldn't have the impact on overall transfers that you imply. It would only increase the difficulty for yourself. And unless your playing with a top club, it's hard enough as it is, as Placebo mentions.
Dunno tbh. Unless anything specific has been said I'd assume it was across all clubs - it seems pretty easy to implement and I don't see why it would only be implemented for your club rather than across the entire CM universe? Particularly since most of the benefit comes from it being applied to CPU clubs...

25639210152004792605371295ab75.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually play with smaller teams too and nonetheless, I'm very happy with the news that there WILL be Champions League and Europa league in the VERY first season.

It was too unrealistic otherwise. And when you did pick a team that was in CL, it was just stupidly retarded to go through the whole first season with that massive squad playing only league games and cup ones. Not enough rotation, injuries, etc.
And even if you don't pick those teams, it's weird to be then battling it out with Barca/Real only to notice all their 1st 11 players are completely fresh because they don't even rotate as much since they're not playing CL!

This isn't 'amazing' news but it is a very good one and I'm glad they've finally included something that should've always been there and was ridiculously UNrealistic! I can't complain. :)

FIFA has been the better football game for a few years now but I fear the franchise is getting a bit stale....

its such a boring game offline too. new FIFA needs more online modes like a dedicated online ranked 2v2 mode, get rid of rubbish like Ultimate Team and other kiddy modes.

but still looking forward to this.

I'm still having great all manual games online in the head to head seasons, with no problem getting an opponent as well.

Not going to start a new CM until I get 13, so I am looking forward to it.

To be fair Kuba played ahead of Goetze even yesterday ;). (and that's yesterdays game lineup btw :P).

He is more down to earth guy than Goetze, headless rider (lots of talent, but his ego is bigger than Sun).

:p

To be fair Kuba played ahead of Goetze even yesterday ;). (and that's yesterdays game lineup btw :P).

He is more down to earth guy than Goetze, headless rider (lots of talent, but his ego is bigger than Sun).

:p

Are you his dad!? :P

I thought it was the ability to have European competition in the 1st season - was this held back too?

Yes, you're right. I was being bitter about the wrong thing!

Dunno tbh. Unless anything specific has been said I'd assume it was across all clubs - it seems pretty easy to implement and I don't see why it would only be implemented for your club rather than across the entire CM universe? Particularly since most of the benefit comes from it being applied to CPU clubs...

Yes, that would make sense but it's only an assumption at this point. We only know right now that the financial strictness option affects funds available to us.

Also, clubs do not all treat transfer funds the same way, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if this new option only affects our club. It'd be just like the previous option to set board difficulty.

So it depends on how they've approached it. If it's simply a difficulty modifier, which is my guess, then it makes sense that it only affects your club. Again, like the board difficulty option. Hopefully they've approached it the way you're assuming though and make it affect all clubs.

12 subs for friendlies?
Free transfers can be signed year round?

Not saying they missed out because of it, but two things that would also take similarly simple fixes and would have added a lot more for me personally...

I explained why on the previous page.
Think about it.
Replays are shown at the end of the game, bad ones, but still...

If there are 3 subs, it only needs a max of 28 players in memory to ensure each goal is covered. With 7 subs you'd need 36 players in memory. That's a heck of a lot more when you are already pushing what is available to you. And just for three crappy friendly games, clearly not worth the loss in quality you'd get for doing it.

If there are 3 subs, it only needs a max of 28 players in memory to ensure each goal is covered. With 7 subs you'd need 36 players in memory. That's a heck of a lot more when you are already pushing what is available to you. And just for three crappy friendly games, clearly not worth the loss in quality you'd get for doing it.

Half the time I finish a match and there are no highlights there anyway, the section doesn't even exist in the post match options...

TBH I would dispute that it's something kept in memory rather than written to a temporary file, but meh.

Fine then, how about loan player parent club rule? I just played against Manchester City, who have one of my midfielders on loan for the season, he scored an own goal for them/(me?), severe lack of realism there, I'd wager far less realistic than time spent "fixing" an agent fees/taxes deduction from incoming transfer fees ;)

Back
Top Bottom