FIFA 13

I hope they have realised that actually being able to see what you have won is an important part. If you thought it was bad that they removed the trophy cabinet, its pretty shocking that you can only see whether you played in a final, win or lose.

Tbh I think the improvements are decent, but until one of the teams actually starts doing some work on teamtactics and having teams play substantially different depending on tactics/match situation most improvements will feel pretty superficial imo.

Personally I'm quite happy with the new features. What would be your top 3 inclusions then if you were asked what you feel the mode needs for your "actual management"?

Again, I want things to actually DO. I want features that involve me in making decisions that will affect the development of my players, squad, and club.

A quick list off the top of my head because I have to run would be:

1. Tactics/Team Management
2. Training/player growth
3. Youth squad/scouting

Tactics/Team Management, like rom said, might not be under the direct control of the development team working on CM, but that doesn't mean it's not a critical component - it's probably THE most critical component.

In addition, there are various other features that fall under the realm of Team Management, like Chemistry, Morale, Fitness. Chemistry was once in the mode - and is in Ultimate Team for pete's sake - whilst Morale and Fitness are in now but could certainly be improved, especially Morale.

For me, each year that they "improve" this mode without actually improving the tools needed to effectively manage your players, squad, and club, is a disappointment.

Honestly, there's so much room for adding considerable depth to this mode, but so much of there focus is on superficial elements.

Considering where PES and FIFA were last gen with their single-player modes, I guess I just would've expected quite a bit more by now. Instead, it's basically a prettier version of what we already had many years ago with better transfers. And again, some of what we already had, like managing player development, isn't in anymore.

Again, I just want more to do between playing matches.

For me I want the "real" experience of being a manager of a football club, whilst not specifically also having the duties of say a "coach", I think I'm from the Brian Clough school of management, I want to build the team, recruit and sell, choose the style of play, the tactics of play, manage the happiness/unhappiness of the players, but I'm not really fussed about the minutia of their training and such, if they're growing that's good enough for me, if they're not I'll flog them off!

Very pleased that for example there's now a loan window separate from the transfer window, for me as a "manager" that's massive.

It's quite possible there'll be a few little bits and pieces that weren't noticed, it was the same with Fifa12.

For me I want the "real" experience of being a manager of a football club, whilst not specifically also having the duties of say a "coach", I think I'm from the Brian Clough school of management, I want to build the team, recruit and sell, choose the style of play, the tactics of play, manage the happiness/unhappiness of the players, but I'm not really fussed about the minutia of their training and such, if they're growing that's good enough for me, if they're not I'll flog them off!

Very pleased that for example there's now a loan window separate from the transfer window, for me as a "manager" that's massive.

It's quite possible there'll be a few little bits and pieces that weren't noticed, it was the same with Fifa12.

That's fair, although I'd say that there's quite a bit a difference between having to deal with the "minutia" and not having to address it at all.

I don't think anybody realistically expects the level of depth that is present in a stand-alone football manager game, but the basics would be nice.

Also, you speak of a "real" experience of being a manager, but there's no substitute for real life interaction with players. And because of that, we need these features to fill that void, to help create a sense of connection to our players, squad, and club. Otherwise it can be all too impersonal.

And I'd also point out that your idea of being a "real" manager is a bit at odds with real life when it comes to the level of control over transfers and negotiations. But nobody wants less options and control in transfer market, we want more.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to be less a spectator and more a participant in how my players, squad, and club develop, and wish for more things to do, aside from the two transfer windows, to break-up the monotony of playing match after match after match.

I guess the rumor is that the big thing that hasn't been announced yet is regarding an improved youth academy feature, so that will help.

Definitely loving the idea of the skill games, will be really good to focus on the key areas that let me down, glad you can choose which ones to focus on.

See if these work:

7628069832_55bf84eddb_b.jpg

7628071274_da2bbd37b0_b.jpg

Placebo are those shots from your PS3 or do you play the game on a computer?

@EASPORTSFIFA any new features in this years #Fifa13Career thats never been used in the past ones? Like training sessions and so on...

@JasonE__ lots, for example, you can now ask for extra Transfer funds from your board, but you may have to commit to higher objectives!

#FIFA13Career Players should progress even if theyre in the bench, inFiFA12 many potentially good players didnt get to be good cause of this

EA SPORTS FIFA ‏@EASPORTSFIFA

@farrisonhorde I agree. We are doing a lot of work on player growth at the moment. It's going to be MUCH BETTER #FIFA13Career

Austin Burnett ‏@austburn

Improved youth development? #fifa13career

@austburn Yes, we have improved the Youth Academy feature too #FIFA13Career

Youth Academy is still in the game with some improvements. You can thank @thisismunny for that feature :)

EA SPORTS FIFA
I'm playing #FIFA13Career with Valencia C.F right now.Third in the table. 4 months in. Got an offer from the Portugal F.A. Should I take it?

Last edited:
All my questions were ignored :(

@EASPORTSFIFA Hi Santi, will lesser/academy players have a 2d face now rather than black outline please? :)
@EASPORTSFIFA can you at least use multiple subs in friendlies? 3 subs for friendlies is really silly!
@EASPORTSFIFA #FIFA13Career will Fifa13 have dual English commentary as last time?
@EASPORTSFIFA #FIFA13Career will players have their history kept over multiple seasons, ie see how many goals a player scored for 3 years?

That's fair, although I'd say that there's quite a bit a difference between having to deal with the "minutia" and not having to address it at all.

I don't think anybody realistically expects the level of depth that is present in a stand-alone football manager game, but the basics would be nice.

Also, you speak of a "real" experience of being a manager, but there's no substitute for real life interaction with players. And because of that, we need these features to fill that void, to help create a sense of connection to our players, squad, and club. Otherwise it can be all too impersonal.

And I'd also point out that your idea of being a "real" manager is a bit at odds with real life when it comes to the level of control over transfers and negotiations. But nobody wants less options and control in transfer market, we want more.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to be less a spectator and more a participant in how my players, squad, and club develop, and wish for more things to do, aside from the two transfer windows, to break-up the monotony of playing match after match after match.

I guess the rumor is that the big thing that hasn't been announced yet is regarding an improved youth academy feature, so that will help.

Ditto. In real life, pretty much all player/team improvement is gleamed from the hours and hours of practice, not in the handful of match appearances a young player would get over the course of a season. So yes, I think being able to effect growth in some fashion for the times we aren't playing games is a feature long overdue.

Side question, seeing that they have removed the player-manager mode... can I still have my VP in CM where I am the full manager? I didn't like the player-manager mode in FIFA 12 nearly as much as the plain "manager" mode so I was glad I could still manage my VP in the vanilla "manager" mode. Is this still possible? Do we know?

Not really "stunned" or "amazed" by any of the news regarding CM. There's nothing that wow me at all, nothing revolutionary and nothing that really has enough impact on the game at long term.

All comentary gimmicks will get old 3 weeks later. Where are the jaw-dropping features? I really hope they have a hidden ace, because I'm a bit let down with this.

Not really "stunned" or "amazed" by any of the news regarding CM. There's nothing that wow me at all, nothing revolutionary and nothing that really has enough impact on the game at long term.

All comentary gimmicks will get old 3 weeks later. Where are the jaw-dropping features? I really hope they have a hidden ace, because I'm a bit let down with this.

At this point what could be jaw-dropping?

I think they are going down the right path, while there are things that bother me, the general direction is good and very playable.

Loved the news. I had very low expectations, so the CM features are very welcome and the training mode brings back some amazing memories from PES4,5...

Wonder if ingame goalflash will be for every single goal or just some more important ones. Also if every match is played at the same time. The feature sounds great at first but might become a pain in the ass after the hundredth time in an hour.

Sounds like some nice additions to CM but if gameplay doesn't improve in the areas I'm looking for then I don't think I'll get this on release date as the gameplay gets stale before the management side of things does for me.

Players can now be subbed? I thought that happened already after a patch. Only the loaning out part seems new.

Audio grabs from around the ground sounds really good but is that something they had in FIFA World Cup? Where another game at the same time is being played and you get an update.

The problem with all of these announcements for me, and the reason why I still don't feel particularly interested in really getting stuck into a Career Mode with FIFA 13, is that I don't have a huge amount of faith in the quality of the game against the CPU.

I totally 'get' the appeal of the management play - I'm a massive fan of Football Manager - but I do not find the CPU fun to play against over even the medium term. Nor do I find FIFA's gameplay to pack enough personality punch to get really worry about my team management and my players that much. To me, FIFA's Career Mode is a poor man's Football Management + a whole lot of trudging through match after match with gameplay that I'm already tired from the demo.

Judged on their own merits, I think this is a fairly solid list of improvements - with a lot of things people had been looking for. Still, I think a proper training mechanic is ominously lacking. Pity they decided to hold back that final piece of information. Again, not jaw dropping, but good.

The problem with all of these announcements for me, and the reason why I still don't feel particularly interested in really getting stuck into a Career Mode with FIFA 13, is that I don't have a huge amount of faith in the quality of the game against the CPU.

I totally 'get' the appeal of the management play - I'm a massive fan of Football Manager - but I do not find the CPU fun to play against over even the medium term. Nor do I find FIFA's gameplay to pack enough personality punch to get really worry about my team management and my players that much. To me, FIFA's Career Mode is a poor man's Football Management + a whole lot of trudging through match after match with gameplay that I'm already tired from the demo.

Judged on their own merits, I think this is a fairly solid list of improvements - with a lot of things people had been looking for. Still, I think a proper training mechanic is ominously lacking. Pity they decided to hold back that final piece of information. Again, not jaw dropping, but good.

Yeah, I guess I'm hoping that the AI upgrades will improve the repetitiveness of playing match after match. It won't be enough without an upgraded tactical feature set, but maybe it'll help enough?

And I agree too that judged on their own merits, it's a pretty darn solid list of improvements. Still, I'm rather disappointed that more attention - or any attention - hasn't been directed at giving us tasks to do between matches to manage our players/squad/club.

Team Management, and like you said a training mechanic, really must be top priorities for next year.

Yeah, I guess I'm hoping that the AI upgrades will improve the repetitiveness of playing match after match. It won't be enough without an upgraded tactical feature set, but maybe it'll help enough?

And I agree too that judged on their own merits, it's a pretty darn solid list of improvements. Still, I'm rather disappointed that more attention - or any attention - hasn't been directed at giving us tasks to do between matches to manage our players/squad/club.

Team Management, and like you said a training mechanic, really must be top priorities for next year.

Hopefully we won't have to wait for the next generation to get the team management overhaul we desire. Then again, maybe we'll have to wait longer. :SHOCK:

I agree. For me, if the gameplay is great, then all those bells and whistles will take it over the edge and make it an extremely immersive experience. Couple that with shouting out things via kinect and the live updates from games and you have something really great I think.

But if the AI turns the same way, the buildup play is the same and the shooting error is not enough, then all the other bits and pieces are lost on me. I'll get bored after a couple of games.

And why oh why did they remove the offline lounge mode from FIFA 12? A couple of my now married mates catch up with me once every few weeks to have a FIFA night and the lounge mode is what made it so much fun. They're not online so we can't play against each other in that way. Shame they took it out. I hope it's not to get an extra sale or two!

The AI has to be more varied and more contextual that's for sure. After my two week holiday I came back and found FIFA refreshing, but yesterday I hit that brick wall, you know, the week or so after playing it, where things become stale, the CPU patterns of play are the same and you start noticing all the little problems like CPU boosts/silly timed goals and just outrageous scripting. Also the more I played the more stats seemed to be irrelevant. Take yesterday for example where I hit a thirty yard thunder bolt with Adam's right foot. The immersion was lost straight away.

So....get the gameplay improved and yes, all these new features would make FIFA definitely worth a look.

So many negative ninnies, I thought if anyone would end up disappointed with the CM improvements it'd be me!

Side question, seeing that they have removed the player-manager mode... can I still have my VP in CM where I am the full manager? I didn't like the player-manager mode in FIFA 12 nearly as much as the plain "manager" mode so I was glad I could still manage my VP in the vanilla "manager" mode. Is this still possible? Do we know?

I would imagine so.

Wonder if ingame goalflash will be for every single goal or just some more important ones. Also if every match is played at the same time. The feature sounds great at first but might become a pain in the ass after the hundredth time in an hour.

They said in one of the other previews yesterday that it won't mention every goal and you can turn it off or on as you wish, ie before each match you can select which games to get the updates from so if you're battling at the top end you could turn it on for those around you or ditto at the bottom end.

So many negative ninnies, I thought if anyone would end up disappointed with the CM improvements it'd be me!

I'm still very positive about the new features Placebo, maybe it's because we're both of an "older" generation... :D

LOL well dunno about that, I was mostly teasing the others, if we all hoped for and wanted the same things in games they'd be pretty dull ;)

I'd imagine there's still a fair few snippets that we don't know about, perhaps not mentioned because to one person they're not that big a deal yet to another it could be a game changer! For example nothing was mentioned about Youth/Academy to the point some even feared it had been removed then in the Q&A not only was it confirmed it was still there but that some improvements were included :)

Just caught up on the CM news and I for one am excited.

All the changes are positive ones and things that will have improved the mode and I'm sure like Placebo said, there are still a lot of smaller touches that haven't been fully noticed or mentioned yet.

And while I don't particularly care for managing International teams, their EXISTENCE in the game world will make CM much more realistic on its own. It was weird playing 4-5 seasons in CM and there's NOTHING happening in summer where in real life there would be a world cup and Euro 2012, etc.

Don't know if EA have included this but this could also have all kinds of other implications as far as managing a CLUB in CM goes as now a player may want to move away so he can get 1st team football and be selected for his COUNTRY's upcoming World Cup squad!

It also means, you don't just have suspensions and injuries to give you managerial selection headaches/dillemas and a chance for backup/more fringe plays but International friendlies where either a portion of your players aren't 'available' for a certain Carling Cup game OR they go and get INJURED with national team duty!

So the inclusion of Interntaional teams and competitions into the calendar has all kinds of positive and realistic implications IF implemented properly even for CLUB managers.

I only play BAP so I'm happy to see some improvements. Being able to be subbed and loaned out sounds great on paper at least. The player objectives will probably be as unrealistic as always though, same in PES. Hopefully the AI isn't shit this year so I can finally play some FIFA BAP again.

I'm one of the few BAP CM mode players as well and unfortunately last year it was a disaster! Not only do your team-mates and AI lack intelligence but more importantly, what ruined it for me was the complete LACK of a MANAGER when playing AS A single player.

EVERY single game, the manager would select the SAME 11 regardless of who's in form, who's played shit, different opposition, formation, etc. There was no customization from game to game. Only time they'd make a change in starting line up was when a player was injured or suspended.

I HOPE those things are fixed in BAP mode now rather than just adding a couple nice features like being able to get subbed/loaned out.

And yes those two are VERY big welcomed features. I just hope BAP has actually gotten a more indepth look and has its problems solved and not just some superficial quick change to be able to announce a cool feature or two in media presentations for sale of new game.

Because while I love BAP mode idea, I found it incredibly monotone last year and found myself switching to full career mode controlling the whole team due to its lack of depth. Not to mention, players being constantly and regularly played out of position like winger in central midfield/vice versa or attacking midfielder as DMF.

I hope they introduce coming on from the bench to BAP but I doubt they will.

I've been longing for that for years now! Unfortunately I don't think it's there otherwise they would've mentioned that with the ability to get subbed out.

I'm hoping Fifa13 sees your player subbed out if fatigued/playing poorly and FIFA14 is when we may be introduced into the game after 73 minutes as an 18 year old young striker with our team losing 1-0 and a chance to make a name for ourselves. ;)

Swearing can still influence the ref though. Excessive swearing can cause the referee to be stricter on your team or be more lenient on your opponents. It can also be mentioned in commentary and be used to trigger stories within Career Mode. After a decision is made, Kinect will be listening for a short period of time (we don’t know how long) and if it picks up on any unsavory language, it’ll trigger one or some of the events above.

Elsewhere it can be used to make tactical changes and subs without pausing, and when playing as a single player you can encourage team mates to shoot, make clearances and call for passes, amongst other things in Be A Pro. Ian assured us that there will be support for various accents, that each needed to be individually tested.

pretty funny, but why waste dev time on this

A simple control change I'd like to see is the ability to turn off the shoot button as a clearance button when in your own half. Or perhaps make it only clear when in your own goal area. I hate this control limitation, and it seems silly to force on the player.

If I'm 1 pixel into my half, pressing shoot hoofs the ball to no one. If I'm 1 pixel into my opponents half pressing shoot takes a shot at goal, or begins a shot fake, or (with manual shooting) can drill a low and hard pass across field. Seems dumb and easily fixable.

A simple control change I'd like to see is the ability to turn off the shoot button as a clearance button when in your own half. Or perhaps make it only clear when in your own goal area. I hate this control limitation, and it seems silly to force on the player.

If I'm 1 pixel into my half, pressing shoot hoofs the ball to no one. If I'm 1 pixel into my opponents half pressing shoot takes a shot at goal, or begins a shot fake, or (with manual shooting) can drill a low and hard pass across field. Seems dumb and easily fixable.

You're spot on.It's been like this for ages on football game, it's part of the same old stupid traditions that get perpetuated from generations to generations.
This makes it impossible to attempt crazy long shots (from your own half) like Xabi Alonso did in real life when he was playing for Liverpool.

You guys know what the biggest improvement will be with the introduction of international teams in CM in my opinion?

We will have ALL the players in the database at our disposal!

No more transferring international players (who don't have a club in the game) to free agents and so on.

That's give or take 200 new good/very good players to choose from... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom