FIFA 13

Definitely loving the idea of the skill games, will be really good to focus on the key areas that let me down, glad you can choose which ones to focus on.

See if these work:

7628069832_55bf84eddb_b.jpg

7628071274_da2bbd37b0_b.jpg

does anyone think that the new first touch control will to some extent address momentum and stop the AI cutting inside so quickly when they attack

Well is the new first touch control calculated on every single touch or simply the first touch each time you pass to a player? If the latter then no.

In Match Live Score Updates

Whilst playing your Career Mode matches you’ll now receive audio updates from other games being played in your league voiced by Alan Mcinally and Geoff Shreeves.
The live updates cover goal, red card and penalty incidents.
Example – Shreeves: “Goal at Anfield, Fulham’s Clint Dempsey scores a brilliant freekick to make it 2-1, 73 minutes played” Tyler “Thanks Geoff”
You can select/de-select the matches you want to hear audio updates from prior to playing starting your match

Cant stand Fifa but this is a class touch.

Very pleasantly surprised, just hope they've fixed the botched transfer system.

You now have the ability to edit player appearance during your Career Mode seasons. This option can be unlocked via the new EASFC Catalogue. hopefully the undershirt glitch is fixed.

Last edited:
Although not quite "stunning" or "incredible", very happy with the CM upgrades.

Indeed.

Very pleasantly surprised, just hope they've fixed the botched transfer system.

Botched as in all the big names moving every 6 months? Already covered :)

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/359219/fifa-13-first-look-at-manager-mode-skill-games-and-more

This year, however, EA Canada has worked hard to ramp up the level of authenticity in the transfer window. In fact, says Jaramillo, they've completely rewritten the logic that dictates what happens in the game's transfer market.

"Last year, players just had a price tag attached to them and clubs wouldn't really look at how important certain players were to them," he says, "so if another team made an offer and the money was right, they'd go. You'd see a lot of churn in the big names - every transfer window, for example, David Silva would move to a new club."

The new transfer system also factors in aspects such as player form, age, morale, club rivalries and the amount of time a player still has left on their contract. This dictates their price-tag, but managers may have to make other concessions; they may have to, for example, guarantee first team play in the position of their target's choice, and sell players who are competing for the same position in the squad. If they renege on agreed conditions, their new acquisition's morale will plummet and they may even hand in a transfer request.

One thing that has me very worried:

Does this mean we have to unlock it for each player? Or we unlock the option once and then we can edit every player in CM?

I really hate the fact this is an unlock, editing players should be a basic feature of the game, not some dumbass privilege to be earned!

Tom kindly answered this question from the FSB comments section*:

@Placebo It’s a one time unlock, we didn’t get to use it but I seem to remember seeing it on some of the early EASFC screens and it’s fairly cheap too from memory.

It’s hardly going through hoops, put it that way.

*fortunately I can still post on the comments section despite still being banned from FSB's forums :)

so do i get this right, if for example i want to give some player a new haircut within a CM i can just go ahead and do it? would be nice. adjustments according to real life and such. :)

Asked Tom if they had improved stats. Here's the reply:

They have indeed. The old one is still there, but you can flick through each player individually to get a deeper view of their stats, attempts vs completed and stuff like that. Plus each player has a heat map so you can see which areas they’ve been covering most, it’s pretty cool

so do i get this right, if for example i want to give some player a new haircut within a CM i can just go ahead and do it? would be nice. adjustments according to real life and such. :)

That's a good question, considering that in edit mode, you can't even do that then I'm doubtful. I hope they fix the undershirt glitch!

My only fear is that all these improvements will cause endless new glitches and bugs, a bit of a Catch 22.

I assume the answer is no, but is it possible that editing players also stretches to their ratings, and not only appearance? I hope so, as there should be no limitation on that if we so choose.

These additions to CM are nice, also good when immersion is added.

Seems they fixed the transfer market for console players. I guess I still don't understand why it was so broken for the console versions. On the PC, all of the files that dictate why and how players transfer are editable. The game shipped with just mind-numbing logic in place. This is why players transferred every six months. Once someone discovered that, the ini files could be changed to make the transfer market quite realistic. It was awesome to set Messi and CR7's transfer fee at or over 200 mil, and then see it come down after each year as their contract moved closer to be up for renewal. As a result of this, no teams even made offers for the star players, and they wouldn't move. There was still some nice movement in the market, and some top players would move, but it wasn't the joke it was from default.

If it was this easy on the PC, then it really has me wondering why they never patched this on the console versions. Perhaps it is drastically different, and could not be done. Perhaps they didn't care, which they have shown in the past with CM issues. Perhaps it was another reason.

Yes. Once you've unlocked the function with your EASW EXP points or whatever they're called.

I assume the answer is no, but is it possible that editing players also stretches to their ratings, and not only appearance? I hope so, as there should be no limitation on that if we so choose.

It's clearly written everywhere "edit appearances" so definitely a no to your question, would be nice if non-stat stuff such as heigh/weak foot etc could at least be edited.

I can completely see why you won't be able to edit stats because you could take a rubbish player, edit him to 99 in all and then sell for lots of money.

I hope the International Management also means a bigger roster of International teams to play with.

For example if I want to pick the USA as my national team, I'd only have Mexico to play against for qualifiers.

Yes. Once you've unlocked the function with your EASW EXP points or whatever they're called.

It's clearly written everywhere "edit appearances" so definitely a no to your question, would be nice if non-stat stuff such as heigh/weak foot etc could at least be edited.

I can completely see why you won't be able to edit stats because you could take a rubbish player, edit him to 99 in all and then sell for lots of money.

Valid point on selling players who had inflated ratings, but honestly, who cares if someone wants to do that? All sports games besides EA Sports games allow you to edit player ratings in career mode (NBA 2K and MLB The Show). If someone wants to make a mockery and do it to create extra funds, let them. It's their own personal world, who cares what they do with it.

Sim gamers will not do that, but instead would use the editing to make things more realistic. Editing player ratings may be the only way to make players behave realistically (ex: agility). There is no reason to not have that in the game, and certainly not for the reason you mentioned above.

For online leagues (have no idea if the game has them?), of course this would be a problem, but you could easily have the commissioner have the option to turn it off, if it bothered that group of players.

As for gameplay, there’s some updated impressions being posted later, but I’d be hard pushed to say we noticed the AI behaving particularly differently based on the team or reacting to events, which will be a downer for some people.

That was in the CM preview, definitely disappointing. Another issue that all EA Sports games have, all teams play the same, differentiation between players and teams is lacking.

I guess I will have to get my hands on it to see.

Nothing I would call amazing, if I'm honest. The international management thing doesn't interest me, personally. I prefer to play as the full team, so am unlikely to make use of the BAP changes. I already knew that managers will be seen on the touchline.

I would have eagerly swapped all of the above for some kind of Training feature, without hesitation.

So the only bit that sounds great is the Transfer Negotiations bit, but that's the kind of stuff I would have expected in a yearly update.

The In Match Live Score updates might be a nice touch.

My initial impressions are similar. Actually, I'd have to say that I'm pretty darn disappointed, especially after murmurings of the last few days.

There are three basic elements of CM: 1) the matches; 2) match-to-match squad/club management; and 3) transfers.

One of the biggest complaints for years now has been that there's not enough to do between matches, that there's not enough actual "management" features. Again, nothing really has been done to improve 2) match-to-match squad/club management.

Instead, the focus has been on areas 1) and 3).

Now, matches is clearly most important to the overall experience, but this is taken care of almost exclusively by gameplay, not by improvements to CM. Adding "In Match Live Score Updates" is a nice touch, but nothing more - it won't alter the experience to any great extent.

It also cannot be denied that transfers is a critical component of CM, and these improvements sound very good. But, you have to remember that you'll only be using these features intermittently - only twice a season.

So, of the three critical components - 1) the matches; 2) match-to-match squad/club management; and 3) transfers - the area that you will spend most of your time in, and the area that CM improvements have the greatest ability to impact the overall experience, is in what occurs from match-to-match - the nuts-and-bolts features of any management mode.

And what has been improved in this critical area? Not much from what I can see. Nothing about training, youth academy, scouting, chemistry, morale, form, team management, tactics, etc.

The only improvement I can tell is the Player Stories, but how much an impact do these stories have? From past experience, it's more a passive feature rather than one that requires active participation on your part. Personally, I think they might be an interesting diversion, especially in the beginning, but I don't see them influencing results or the overal experience to any substantial degree.

The addition of International Management sounds welcome, but is it anything more than a diversion away from what this mode is typically about - managing a club? Does it add depth to the mode, or just variety? Do I actually want more options to manage when the actual management features are so minimal?

Aside from the improvement to Transfers - which is critical - much of what's been announced sounds to me like presentation, diversion, and window-dressing, and it actually reminds me of EA's approach to gameplay pre FIFA 07/08 - a focus on presentation rather than the fundamental features that actually matter in the long run.

Hopefully the last announcement regarding CM that has yet to be released will be about something that'll actually improve the experience in-between matches - where often most of your time is spent in any management mode.

Last edited:
Personally I'm quite happy with the new features. What would be your top 3 inclusions then if you were asked what you feel the mode needs for your "actual management"?

I only play BAP so I'm happy to see some improvements. Being able to be subbed and loaned out sounds great on paper at least. The player objectives will probably be as unrealistic as always though, same in PES. Hopefully the AI isn't shit this year so I can finally play some FIFA BAP again.

I'm disappointed about the minimal team management/team style variation. I'm hoping the latter will at least be subtly improved, even if it's the sort of thing that takes longer than a day or so to notice.

It has to be said though that these are two aspects of the game that aren't in the remit of the CM team to change. They are the responsibilities of other teams within EA - the menu/interface and gameplay departments respectively. While Simon Humber can lean on these depts to try and get the desired result, he can't implement them himself. The best they can do is little changes added to the existing infrastructure (the quick change option on triangle/Y), or to their own screens (the whole-page squad management screen). Even if this addition of managers on the touchline included manager-specific tactics and formations, the onus is on the gameplay team to make sure the game makes the most of these tactical distinctions.

If training is not the big new feature then my initial impression of CM is that it will be a nice improvement but still not as substantive as I'd like. If it is, and these changes go alongside that (which makes sense given that skill games and training fit the same theme) then I'm pretty happy with what the CM team have done.

I hope they've brought back POTM and TOTW for the management game, really stupid that first they take them out completely then they only bring them back in for CM when playing as a player rather than manager.

Not heard anything but would like to see a mini history for all players dated from the start of CM, how much their transfer fee was then their appearances/goals/assists/cards for each year that you play the mode, really doesn't seem like all that much to include.

Personally I'm quite happy with the new features. What would be your top 3 inclusions then if you were asked what you feel the mode needs for your "actual management"?

A youth/academy system like football manager's. Where you get a bunch of kids from your local area. Depending on city size and team infrastructure and stature you'd get different results for maybe a future world class player and an average player. They then play (simulated games) against other team's academies to develop. You can then pluck them in and out depending on your needs at the Senior side.

That would keep me in CM for more than 3 seasons, I never do more than that. Also, for the regens to have pictures.

Hmm wouldn't really interest me to be honest, the youth system they introduced last year (or rather brought back) was a decent first stab, I think a few fixes and tweaks would make sense this year, ideally I'd like it to reach a point perhaps where you can have a development squad which is a mixture of academy/development players which is the type of thing that's very common these days as teams scrap their reserve sides. And in Fifa that development squad would play a few matches each year, perhaps randomly selected from teams around the world similar to the pre-season friendlies.

Back
Top Bottom