FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

No, I wouldn't say I'm seeing that. Wouldn't that be a symptom of setting your Line Height too high?

I think you're right there. I went about getting a similar effect to your game by keeping marking around 55 close to default, and increasing line height to squash the play up a little. I like it personally, there's a nice balance between tight midfield play and breaking the offside trap, or getting in behind defences out wide etc. This happens lot in real matches.

Increasing marking with high line height does however over-commit players and lead to an unrealistically high number of 1v1's with the keepers, which is why marking is only marginally higher than on default.

No, I wouldn't say I'm seeing that. Wouldn't that be a symptom of setting your Line Height too high?

Could be. I thought that line height higher would pack in the midfield more, but I could be mistaken. I will try a lower setting tonight to see. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!

I'd set it too 100, Barca are simply not Barca unless they harrash you at every corner to win the ball back, You shouldn't have little or any time on the ball against them! Thing is even if you get them to close you down. Every player has so much control on the ball you can just easily keep it away from them and exploit their high line without too much trouble.

This is why I bang on about ball control and player momentum and movement so vigoruouisly when i talk about simulation!

For me on that setting they were doing that, at least close enough to the "real thing" in my eyes. That being said, 90% of this forum is better at this game then I am, so I can't just get around them like you or others may be able to. I used City vs them and got one shot on goal in a 15 minute half last night before I couldn't stay awake any longer (long couple of days). When playing them previously at their default press setting, I had better luck in getting more shots off.

Not sure there may be a solution for you then, but was just trying to help.

Last edited:
For me on that setting they were doing that, at least close enough to the "real thing" in my eyes. That being said, 90% of this forum is better at this game then I am, so I can't just get around them like you or others may be able to. I used City vs them and got one shot on goal in a 15 minute half last night before I couldn't stay awake any longer (long couple of days). When playing them previously at their default press setting, I had better luck in getting more shots off.

Not sure there may be a solution for you then, but was just trying to help.

Appreciated my firend :) Will give it a try if i get it on PC sometime.

Played a few games and lost them all :SHOCK: no real surprises. Pace of game wasn't that much different from what I'm used to, infact I found the pass speed to be a little too slow, I like the ball to zip around a little more. Main thing I noticed was the passing accuracy of CPU - over 90% - and this was against the likes of espanyol and real bêtis in my career, so I felt that was too high. I have pass error set to 65 which I think is the threshold before passes start bobbling all over the place. Playing manually I feel this 'leveller' helps a little. Also found that more of my passes were going a little astray.
Anyway its all about trial and error.... The search continues...
Think I'll give nerfs settings a go, I see he plays manual.

Cheers

You played on world class or pro? And normal speed.

I play pro and pass accuracy cpu is about 70-85% maybe 80-90 against top teams. too have 90%+ pass accuracy CPU I guess you were on world class?

You think I should make pass speed faster?

I think you're right there. I went about getting a similar effect to your game by keeping marking around 55 close to default, and increasing line height to squash the play up a little. I like it personally, there's a nice balance between tight midfield play and breaking the offside trap, or getting in behind defences out wide etc. This happens lot in real matches.

Increasing marking with high line height does however over-commit players and lead to an unrealistically high number of 1v1's with the keepers, which is why marking is only marginally higher than on default.

Id like to try this.

Settings to increase marking in middle 3rd off pitch with opportunity to break through on wings or over top. But without 1v1 goals and chances occurring often.

Tbh I find my games like this but open to ideas for more editing.

Last edited:
Played a few games and lost them all :SHOCK: no real surprises. Pace of game wasn't that much different from what I'm used to, infact I found the pass speed to be a little too slow, I like the ball to zip around a little more. Main thing I noticed was the passing accuracy of CPU - over 90% - and this was against the likes of espanyol and real bêtis in my career, so I felt that was too high. I have pass error set to 65 which I think is the threshold before passes start bobbling all over the place. Playing manually I feel this 'leveller' helps a little. Also found that more of my passes were going a little astray.
Anyway its all about trial and error.... The search continues...
Think I'll give nerfs settings a go, I see he plays manual.

Cheers

Ok on professional I just played 5min friendly me as SPain vs Turkey.

I think the stats are pretty good, though shots on target/goal ratio a bit high?, and game was fun as hell. Good variety of quality goals.

Score was 0-1 at half time. I equalized. They went 2-1 up. I scored 3 in 10mins and went 4-2 up with 10mins left. They pulled one back to make 4-3 and nervous end.

Check the highlights!!!

YouTube - spain game.wmv

TBH these sliders work a treat for me. Then again I dont play manual. I dont think playing these sliders on manual represents what I play does it As I dont play manual.

Last edited:
Picked up FIFA12 today after being disappointed with the retail version of PES2012.

I'll be reading this thread with interest. Before I do though, are there any settings which are universally agreed on to be the best?

Not many, because it's very much about personal taste.

I think that generally most people raise Pass Error for CPU, raise Injury Frequency high for both, and most tend to raise Run Frequency by some amount. Speed/Accel should stay fairly close to 50, straying too far can unbalance it.

But as always, testing them for yourself is the best way to find what suits you.

Not many, because it's very much about personal taste.

I think that generally most people raise Pass Error for CPU, raise Injury Frequency high for both, and most tend to raise Run Frequency by some amount. Speed/Accel should stay fairly close to 50, straying too far can unbalance it.

But as always, testing them for yourself is the best way to find what suits you.

Thanks nerf, that's what I suspected. Very subjective issue.

I've been playing around with the settings all day. Being able to adjust 'power bar - user' is a godsend for me. An issue I've always had with FIFA is that the power bars take too long to charge, so increasing this setting has already made the game feel so much better.

Is there any way to make the CPU take more snap shots and shots from range, or is this just how it is? They seem to be reluctant to do so.

do sliders take effect online?

so if I increase speed of power bar when I go online it is same or goes back to default?

I guess default as I couldnt play speed 99 online versus a guy with 50 lol

Thanks nerf, that's what I suspected. Very subjective issue.

I've been playing around with the settings all day. Being able to adjust 'power bar - user' is a godsend for me. An issue I've always had with FIFA is that the power bars take too long to charge, so increasing this setting has already made the game feel so much better.

Is there any way to make the CPU take more snap shots and shots from range, or is this just how it is? They seem to be reluctant to do so.

I think increasing the player run slider a little bit gets more midfielders forward into that shooting position around the edge of the box, but to be honest I've seen plenty of occasions, when playing the better teams at any rate, where the AI scores from outside the box. This does seem more exclusive to the better teams like I said, but Arsenal beat me in my CM season 4-0 with three of the goals coming from outside the box.

I think increasing the player run slider a little bit gets more midfielders forward into that shooting position around the edge of the box, but to be honest I've seen plenty of occasions, when playing the better teams at any rate, where the AI scores from outside the box. This does seem more exclusive to the better teams like I said, but Arsenal beat me in my CM season 4-0 with three of the goals coming from outside the box.

Yeah I've increased the player movement and full-back forward runs for both user and cpu. The player movement is pretty good to be honest. I'm always given passing options by my team-mates and the cpu is playing some nice football, so all in all I'm impressed. It's perhaps not up to PES12 AI, but then it doesn't have the imbalanced and scripted gameplay that comes with it.

I've upped the injury frequency for both too, as well as increasing passing and shooting speed a touch and increased the passing/shooting error for the cpu. Also heightened the defensive line a bit too.

The one setting is really like is player acceleration. I dropped that down to about 45 and it gives the game a better feeling of inertia.

Yeah I've increased the player movement and full-back forward runs for both user and cpu. The player movement is pretty good to be honest. I'm always given passing options by my team-mates and the cpu is playing some nice football, so all in all I'm impressed. It's perhaps not up to PES12 AI, but then it doesn't have the imbalanced and scripted gameplay that comes with it.

I've upped the injury frequency for both too, as well as increasing passing and shooting speed a touch and increased the passing/shooting error for the cpu. Also heightened the defensive line a bit too.

The one setting is really like is player acceleration. I dropped that down to about 45 and it gives the game a better feeling of inertia.

Yeah I did the same, makes the game slower, while pass error really brings out the players' ability. Like I mentioned in the PES thread, I can hammer a 60 yard crossfield ball with Xavi straight onto a player's foot, but try the same thing with Puyol and it'll either skew off entirely for a throw in or will go in the general direction but force my other player to run back and retrieve the ball. Players tend to hit floaty, bobbly passes but then try the same with a world class playmaker and it'll zip along the ground with large amounts of spin etc. Looks really great.

I think you'll really like this game, it's the biggest surprise game of the year for me to be honest. I hated FIFA11, really hated it, but this feels like a new game. Defending is better than PES, you really have to cut off passing lanes and wait for your chance to take the ball, meaning it's harder to win it back and is really tactical.

You'll notice a lot of immersion too. Ramp up the injury sliders and you'll see frequent little injuries, players lying on the ground mid-match before recovering, and even play being stopped followed by a drop ball where one team knocks it back to the other team's keeper. Really cool. Oh, and CM this year is really good fun, no bugs at all from what I can tell, and tons of nice touches like transfer deadline day being broken down by the hour with a 24 style timer on the screen. Really nice.

Do you use tactical defending or legacy.

I'm using legacy at the moment as I really didn't get on with tactical. Is it worth persevering with tactical? Admittedly I need to get a feel for it.

Yeah learn to master Tactical. It's hard at first but you get it eventually and makes games play out more tactically. Admittedly, the mechanism allows the AI more time on the ball, but they do the same when it defends, so it works both ways. Best advice I could give would be to learn how to jockey using contain, but use the direction stick to pull the jockeying player either close to the guy with the ball or further away to cut off passing lanes. Makes the AI check back, play the ball square or backwards etc.

Secondly, use the 'tackle' button when behind players, you can disrupt their stride and put in a physical challenge - especially when near to goal. Oh and thirdly, I mainly tackle by learning how to manually run your player 'into' the opponent with the ball, sometimes using jockey at the same time, and never do this using sprint.

If there's one thing that the game has taught me, it's that sprinting often has a negative effect. Both in attack, and in defence. I'd sprint to catch up and close down a player if you don't want to contain, but then hold off and jog into the tackle. Far more effective, otherwise the inertia from your sprinting makes the AI player zip past your tackle far easier.

Finally getting round to playing Fifa 12 tomorrow at a mates, really looking forward to it...hated the demo but from what i gather from you guys is the final game is far superior. I am taking PES 2012 up as well to try n convert him PES is better haha. (pre patch of course)

How do you know when to put the difficulty up? Im playing League 1 & 2 in England I'm happy with my sliders, slow and professional difficulty but I seem to have HEAPS of nil all draws.

I tried World Class but got flogged 3 - 1, should I persevere with World Class? Does it get easier or is it always full on?

I switch when the results stop being realistic. For example, I'm doing a CM with Man United, so I would expect to win most games, but not easily. I was on Professional but I was winning them all by 3-0, 4-0, 5-1, score lines so I bumped it up to World Class. Now I have to work hard to beat the mid-table teams. My next game is against Arsenal so that should be a good benchmark.

Yeah I did the same, makes the game slower, while pass error really brings out the players' ability. Like I mentioned in the PES thread, I can hammer a 60 yard crossfield ball with Xavi straight onto a player's foot, but try the same thing with Puyol and it'll either skew off entirely for a throw in or will go in the general direction but force my other player to run back and retrieve the ball. Players tend to hit floaty, bobbly passes but then try the same with a world class playmaker and it'll zip along the ground with large amounts of spin etc. Looks really great.

I think you'll really like this game, it's the biggest surprise game of the year for me to be honest. I hated FIFA11, really hated it, but this feels like a new game. Defending is better than PES, you really have to cut off passing lanes and wait for your chance to take the ball, meaning it's harder to win it back and is really tactical.

You'll notice a lot of immersion too. Ramp up the injury sliders and you'll see frequent little injuries, players lying on the ground mid-match before recovering, and even play being stopped followed by a drop ball where one team knocks it back to the other team's keeper. Really cool. Oh, and CM this year is really good fun, no bugs at all from what I can tell, and tons of nice touches like transfer deadline day being broken down by the hour with a 24 style timer on the screen. Really nice.

so you recommend increase pass error for both cpu and user? to what number?

How about shot error for cpu/user...on pro difficulty

Thanks guys for some wonderful suggestions in this thread. i was finding default gameplay bit frustrating as in creating chances. hope some of this will help.

so you recommend increase pass error for both cpu and user? to what number?

How about shot error for cpu/user...on pro difficulty

I'm not sure increasing pass error is for you if you want a fast game. It slows things right down, so again is down to preference. I personally love it like that.

I've reset all my sliders and am starting from scratch. So far I've got everything on default except for acceleration on 49 and have lowered sprint speed right down to a very low 40. Seems good so far. Doesn't appear to unbalance the AI into not tackling like lowering acceleration does, and also seems to remove the lightning fast turns on the ball the AI can do on default. It also seems to even up the right stick knock on because players can catch you a bit better over the initial acceleration period, particularly when the right stick knock on gives you a huge speed boost.

Will probably increase injury frequency to 90, severity to 55, and slightly increase line height to squash up the play a bit. Otherwise it'll be all good.

Haven't played this in nearly a week until today, forgot how much I enjoy it. Got plastered 3-0 and lost 2-0, but it's still not annoying in any way. Still enjoyable. I also played PES too, somehow that game actually winds me up to the point of me getting angry at a stupid video game. Think I'll stick with FIFA.

Last edited:
TBH I'd say ever, the gameplay is excellent, sliders add massive depth allowing you to refine a game which suits your level/degree of frutratability and the career mode in particular is very nicely fleshed out in such a short time, can't wait for 13's CM!!!

Anybody playing on Legendary with manual controls?
I'm really struggling to find a way to contain AI attacking and their cheating ways. I mean, their players turn on the spot from full sprint the very moment I press tackle - it's just silly.
I'm considering going back on World class and giving AI some slider benefits to make them more competitive.

TBH I'd say ever, the gameplay is excellent, sliders add massive depth allowing you to refine a game which suits your level/degree of frutratability and the career mode in particular is very nicely fleshed out in such a short time, can't wait for 13's CM!!!

i didnt want to brass off any pes fans mate ;)

Anybody playing on Legendary with manual controls?
I'm really struggling to find a way to contain AI attacking and their cheating ways. I mean, their players turn on the spot from full sprint the very moment I press tackle - it's just silly.
I'm considering going back on World class and giving AI some slider benefits to make them more competitive.

Just knock their speed settings down by a few points but keep yours the same. Should take the edge off.

Back
Top Bottom