FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

All in all, i guess it is about capturing the "feeling" to dribble past an opponent that fifa lack of compared to PES.

True this - I love those moments where you think the ball is out of your reach and it's going to be taken off you only for your player stretch and take that tiny touch which wrong foots the defender and allows you go past him.

I must admit that I love the animation in FIFA when you can flick the right stick and bridge someone with a sidestep. But I don't find it as easy to wrongfoot a defender if they're coming straight on, just via dribbling...unless I hit LB/L1 and do a dead stop and turn them inside.

Using a very quick dab of the skill dribble (LT+RT) can be quite an effective way of beating a fullback. It's a very gamey construct though. Rather than about trying to organically wrong-foot somebody, it's simply a timing thing. He commits to a tackle, and you have a split-second to skill dribble to one side (a little bit like the sidestep in PES of old) to evade the lunge.

Curious to see if the Precision Dribble :PUKE: thing expands this at all. I use LT extensively in FIFA11.

Well i wouldnt get your hopes up too much on pes yet. Its better than last years but theres still glaring issues. Including unbelievable pressuring by the cpu.

Im on Xbox so havent been able to try the demo yet for PES.

Skilled dribble and LT dribble aint bad on FIFA but I find it a bit awkward feeling. Almost like the animation feels a bit un-natural.

FIFA have supposedly good animation tech but I don't think the dribbling feels fully free in a 360 degree sense.

Random and uninteresting question coming up:

Anyone know why the Old Firm teams don't have their Tennent's shirt sponsor in the FIFA games? It's also true of PES and FM so it's obviously some law but just noticed Preston have the same sponsor which is visible in the game so was wondering what the difference was out of curiosity.

Well i wouldnt get your hopes up too much on pes yet. Its better than last years but theres still glaring issues. Including unbelievable pressuring by the cpu.

Goalkeeping is the biggest problem IMO it's fucking horrific! Look forward to trying the later build demo to see how improved it is.

Goalkeeping is the biggest problem IMO it's fucking horrific! Look forward to trying the later build demo to see how improved it is.

Still quite funny listening to the fanboys talk it up even with all the issues..this will be fixed, that will be fixed, compressed textures blah blah blah..

Doesn't really matter to me as I'll buy both like last year probably and trade in the one I least enjoy after some solid play. Last year it was PES I traded in mainly down to the manual game that FIFA offers and the lame keepers in PES. After reading 100's of comments I can see the same out come this year. Time will tell

Mate - if you're on Xbox, I still have FIFA World Cup if you want some manual games...and to school me on dribbling :P

I've played every FIFA so far and I know how to dribble but I still find it more clunky. Against a human player you can do it easier because they overcommit quite often but against the CPU they are able to tackle you in situations where you'd in fact be able to beat them with a dribble. The way you do in PES, which I think has more nuance available.

Again, probably down to the tackling radius on FIFA more so than the dribbling itself!

to tell you the truth, after playing pes2012 I perfectly understand what you say. As I said, I'm a big fan of PES dribbling way. In Fifa you can dribble but it isn't nearly as beautiful and natural as it is in Pes.

I've got fifa world cup 2010 too, but I think that I'm not gonna purchase Fifa this year but Pes, so I'll try not to touch any Fifa game and I'll only play the pes demo to get use to it =P. It's a shame that the demo hasn't come out for xbox ( I'm playing right now the pc demo of Pes )

I believe you're the first person I've seen mention this. I have yet to encounter relentless, full sprint pressuring (ala FIFA) from the CPU. I'm finding a lot of space in the midfield and I don't feel like I have to ping pong pass the ball around in order to keep possession in the middle of the pitch.

EDIT: Realized you might have meant offensive pressure in regards to the AI.

Last edited:
Chelsea-580x348.jpg

EA made those faces last year. Slow clap for the fact they changed Torres' hair. :lol:

Have EA ever seen Nemanja Vidic? Not judging by the looks of this.

In response to those who criticise EA for retaining last years' faces for some players - so long as they're good and still representitive of the player - then what's the issue?

So long as a player looks realistic, I don't care if it was made three seasons ago. I'd rather EA would use the time to add faces to players given generics before.

If Torres' face was good, then why not just update the hairstyle?

While I've been unimpressed and massively disappointed with the PES demo, dribbling is certainly one area that PES is a better representation. Like nerf said, I'm really hoping Precision Dribbling is the improvement FIFA needs in dribbling, but I'm hardly confident - my guess is dribbling will be an improvement but, as is typical with FIFA's yearly upgrades, it won't be enough to fully satisfy. In any case, dribbling won't be sorted in FIFA until inertia is better implemented.

But even if dribbling in FIFA continues to be second-best to PES, at least hopefully the changes to defending, coupled with Precision Dribbling, will do enough to re-balance the game between attack and defense this year. If that happens, FIFA 12 will be a pretty big improvement in my book.

Using a very quick dab of the skill dribble (LT+RT) can be quite an effective way of beating a fullback. It's a very gamey construct though. Rather than about trying to organically wrong-foot somebody, it's simply a timing thing. He commits to a tackle, and you have a split-second to skill dribble to one side (a little bit like the sidestep in PES of old) to evade the lunge.

Curious to see if the Precision Dribble :PUKE: thing expands this at all. I use LT extensively in FIFA11.

Is LT+RT skilled dribbling still in the game? Has anyone seen it in any of the 12 vids?

Because my impression from one of the Rutter interviews was that they were dissatisfied with skilled dribbling, and dribbling in general, and thus we have Precision Dribbling. No?

I suck at LT dribbling, or rather I should say I seem very hit or miss with its use, but hopefully Precision Dribbling improves that. I'm most interested to see if Precision Dribbling actually makes a difference when in possession in the final third, when the CPU AI typically takes a no-prisoner approach to tackling and aggression. This is what Precision Dribbling has been advertised to do, but personally I haven't seen enough examples of this to make me happy.

I guess not even router believe in "Precision Dribling". I know i don't until i can play and see if there's really any difference from dribling with L2, that was already in the game.

Is LT+RT skilled dribbling still in the game? Has anyone seen it in any of the 12 vids?

Because my impression from one of the Rutter interviews was that they were dissatisfied with skilled dribbling, and dribbling in general, and thus we have Precision Dribbling. No?

I suck at LT dribbling, or rather I should say I seem very hit or miss with its use, but hopefully Precision Dribbling improves that. I'm most interested to see if Precision Dribbling actually makes a difference when in possession in the final third, when the CPU AI typically takes a no-prisoner approach to tackling and aggression. This is what Precision Dribbling has been advertised to do, but personally I haven't seen enough examples of this to make me happy.
I don't know. But it would be difficult to even find a FIFA11 video exhibiting the existence of skill dribble, seeing as everyone's too busy sprinting at goal.

To me, the key to dribbling against the AI in 11 was always to keep the ball on the opposite side of your body to the defender. I'm sort of anticipating that Precision Dribble :PUKE: might make it easier to drag/shift or rotate on the ball in tighter areas, enabling you to protect it better in this manner?

Have EA ever seen Nemanja Vidic? Not judging by the looks of this.

In response to those who criticise EA for retaining last years' faces for some players - so long as they're good and still representitive of the player - then what's the issue?

So long as a player looks realistic, I don't care if it was made three seasons ago. I'd rather EA would use the time to add faces to players given generics before.

If Torres' face was good, then why not just update the hairstyle?

I assume you're talking to me, ut you missed my point. Point being, it doesn't seem like they've added much more scan-wise.

If you think i'm being harsh, check out the man utd team when you pick up the game. Their team (apart from Rooney and Young Maybe?) will look like gargoyles (see: vidic in photo). Mainly cause all their new signings are young.

Nasri's face is strange...but what is surprising is he actually got the famous "18-cameras treatment" !
I don't know how EA managed to get his face look so weird whereas they got all the pictures they need :P

I don't know. But it would be difficult to even find a FIFA11 video exhibiting the existence of skill dribble, seeing as everyone's too busy sprinting at goal.

To me, the key to dribbling against the AI in 11 was always to keep the ball on the opposite side of your body to the defender. I'm sort of anticipating that Precision Dribble :PUKE: might make it easier to drag/shift or rotate on the ball in tighter areas, enabling you to protect it better in this manner?

I'm hoping for dragging/shifting/rotating also. Right now the defenders still plow through me even when I make small turns or stop to shield. They follow you too well to really do any tight dribbling, and once they're close they've poked the ball away. I fear that tactical defending will cause the same problem though. Precision dribbling moves too slow/small, while tactical defending mirrors your movement. I don't think any vids showed precision dribbling vs tactical defending, maybe for good reason.

While I've been unimpressed and massively disappointed with the PES demo, dribbling is certainly one area that PES is a better representation. Like nerf said, I'm really hoping Precision Dribbling is the improvement FIFA needs in dribbling, but I'm hardly confident - my guess is dribbling will be an improvement but, as is typical with FIFA's yearly upgrades, it won't be enough to fully satisfy. In any case, dribbling won't be sorted in FIFA until inertia is better implemented.

But even if dribbling in FIFA continues to be second-best to PES, at least hopefully the changes to defending, coupled with Precision Dribbling, will do enough to re-balance the game between attack and defense this year. If that happens, FIFA 12 will be a pretty big improvement in my book.

To be honest, whilst the ability to take smaller touches might be really good in certain scenarios, I don't think it will revolutionize dribbling.

The main problem I find at the moment is the "missile defenders". If you watch it in real time, it looks like a shoulder charge at 100 miles per hour, and if you check the replay, they actually run through and stick their leg out, winning the ball far too easily.

It's almost halfway between a standing tackle (as per a real life match) and a slide tackle. People just don't tackle like that in real games. They wouldn't and couldn't move that quickly and be so inch perfect in winning the ball, without giving fouls away.

Take into consideration a little bit of input lag, and all of a sudden you have the current scenario. It's more often a lack of time/awareness to dribble around players with the current dribbling tools, than it is about the dribbling tools themselves.

I hope I'm wrong though...

Well what you describe is exactly the issues that I've been most critical of this past year but the thing is, many of these problems have hopefully been dealt with in 12 through the changes to defending. I don't view the gameplay vids with a microscope like others but I have failed to notice many, if any, cases of the worst of FIFA 11's defensive fails, including he terribly unrealistic and over-powered tackling animations.

I do agree with you in that I'm not expecting a revolution. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be enough to make dribbling and attacking fun again and hopefully a less frustrating experience.

Honestly, I see the h2h experience substantially improved; my biggest concern at the moment is whether the CPU AI is better balanced this year, or else all the improvements in dribbling won't matter in the face of unrealistically efficient CPU defenders.

Cool mate. Let's hope you're right. I do really like the camera angle on some of the gamescom video's I saw. I hope that's the new default one they've been talking up.

Honestly though - vs the CPU was awful for me in FIFA 11 (at the time anyway) and online was the usual crap lol. So I tried PES 11 and liked it, then returned FIFA 11 as I wasn't really playing it plus I still have FIFA WC which I like to play.

If it's better this year vs the CPU I'll get FIFA 12 again, but a mate of mine has it and we play it around there a fair bit so unless it's really good, I might just leave it and play it at his place when I can.

It's been awfully quiet though in the build up...

to tell you the truth, after playing pes2012 I perfectly understand what you say. As I said, I'm a big fan of PES dribbling way. In Fifa you can dribble but it isn't nearly as beautiful and natural as it is in Pes.

I've got fifa world cup 2010 too, but I think that I'm not gonna purchase Fifa this year but Pes, so I'll try not to touch any Fifa game and I'll only play the pes demo to get use to it =P. It's a shame that the demo hasn't come out for xbox ( I'm playing right now the pc demo of Pes )

How do you dribble?? With Neymar for example the ball kind of sticks to his foot, he doesnt actually dribble as such.

Also because the defenders can easily catch you up even as a player like Nani you can never outsprint or get away from defenders properly.

I have been able to with someone like Suarez been able to dribble round defenders in Fifa 11

Been looking for vids of new default camera angle and haven't found any that looks different to what I play in now. I use co-op for everything. I presume the new angle is pretty much co-op then? Thought it would be lower down like the pic that came out a while ago. This obviously isn't important but was wondering out of interest.

Been looking for vids of new default camera angle and haven't found any that looks different to what I play in now. I use co-op for everything. I presume the new angle is pretty much co-op then? Thought it would be lower down like the pic that came out a while ago. This obviously isn't important but was wondering out of interest.

I think this video might be showing off the new angle. I'm speculating though. This angle looks nice though ;)

YouTube - FIFA 12 Gameplay HD - Gamescom - Dortmund vs Arsenal Match

Back
Top Bottom