FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

I know to wait for the demo before making conclusions, but if I was to give impressions on Rutter's Revolutionary Holy Trinity TM :PUKE: :PUKE: based on these videos, I would say that 'Impact Engine' is worthless (works only half the time, and doesn't make much difference anyway), 'Tactical Defending' is a nonsense because everyone still just muscles in regardless, and 'Technical Dribbling' has so far been non-existent.

I could quote my own cynical post after the announcements were made a couple of months ago but I won't as it will take to long to find. Sadly so far it seems an accurate prediction of what it would actually deliver to the game..not a lot. We could all see it coming with ProPassing being the perfect example of an "improvement".

But the improvements might just be enough for another year for me, but only if PES turns out to be a lot worse than I expect. And my expectations aren't too high, just a acceptable level of animations/transitions, better reactions and less bugs.

I could quote my own cynical post after the announcements were made a couple of months ago but I won't as it will take to long to find. Sadly so far it seems an accurate prediction of what it would actually deliver to the game..not a lot. We could all see it coming with ProPassing being the perfect example of an "improvement".

But the improvements might just be enough for another year for me, but only if PES turns out to be a lot worse than I expect. And my expectations aren't too high, just a acceptable level of animations/transitions, better reactions and less bugs.

PES is looking like what I wanted FIFA to be this year. Players don't chase the ball around like horny dogs, clattering everyone and everything in their way. Everything is measured. You can see there's an inertia balance between attack and defence to stop end to end goalfests. Players try and find space when you're on the ball and take subtle steps into space to get a good line for a pass. Defence press the last man in a line and back off when midfield catch up so as not to to needlessly clog the edge of the box "a la HEARTS" against Spurs last night. Just leads to easy goals. It just looks like more of a challenge and easier to make mistake, which is a good thing.

YouTube - Gamecon PES 2012 WEAREPES.COM LILLE vs RENNES

This is the first year that PES looks a better GAME than FIFA imo. the passing and movement all around adds life to the game and the formation structure is is on point too. FIFA still has that flash though, and online.

299424_238960242809212_208310235874213_673090_6238654_n.jpg

i dont think the difference between the games is as extreme as PES5 and FIFA 06, that is a pretty crazy comparison. games arent just one big engine now, they are really lots of little engines. Some of FIFA's engines are incredible (like physical interactions, animation linking and generally anything that is dynamic like impacts and collisions), what they need to start from scratch with is the AI and general player movement (inertia, momentum etc.).

its the same situation with PES, some parts of the game still need to be completely revamped to pull it up to current sports game standards (specifically thinking of physical interactions and variation in animation/physics), but you are right in terms of the footballing fundamentals of PES being on a more solid foundation than FIFA is currently.
And that's where it matters, and where the PES5/FIFA07-like gulf in quality is present.

it does matter indeed, but we all give different weights and priorities to the various elements of the game. i am definitely a simulation fan but i also prioritise highly the physics/visual realism aspect, i cant rely purely on or be entirely satisfied with good football fundamentals, if that were the case i might as well go and play PES5 or sensible soccer.

it's completely unfair and patronising to say that just because someone thinks physics/animation is important means you aren't a simulation fan; if simulation means replication of real life then those parts of the game are nearly if not just as important as the fundamentals. ideally you want a good blend of both solid football fundamentals and cutting edge gaming technology and i honestly do not believe either game has achieved that balance yet. the choices we have at the moment essentially come down to a choice of sacrifice, whichever game you play you are sacrificing something important and that is not the same as back in the day where you sacrificed nothing but leagues and licenses if you played PES over FIFA.

good post, I agree :))

I take it you've all seen this? Tweaks (no big changes) to the Be a Pro/Pro Clubs mode:

* New and edited VP accomplishments. Eg, mids can now earn some defensive accomplishments.
* Club invites/requests appear on main menu (not lost in player hub).
* Friends Records has a dedicated screen.
* More player stats in Clubs for mids/defenders.
* New My Pro menu in clubs for easy access to editing pro and viewing accomplishments.
* top speed for small pros has been dialled back a touch.
* Added some long term, tough-to-get VP accomplishments for the hardcore fans out there.
* Tuned unlocks so that the cooler items are obtainable by better players (shoes, gear, etc.)
* Tuned some of the accomplishments, and added a few new ones around lay-off passes.
* Better reskinned hub screen. Bigger area.
* Tuned matchmaking to prevent games between clubs too far apart.

In truth Legendary is just as bad a way to judge the game as Easy is. In one the AI is inept and in the other the AI is unnecessarily clairvoyant with added AI defenders being faster than wingers.

I still find the turning circle speeds, lack of foot-planting and inertia insulting though. Case in point, that whole match and i doubt it has much to do with the difficulty level. I skipped to 30 seconds in and Dani Alves runs in about 5 different directions in the space of 2 seconds.

Last edited:
lol @ the end of the vid Puyol is sent the complete wrong way but recovers in a nano second. ibra gets lucky to get that goal there.

it does matter indeed, but we all give different weights and priorities to the various elements of the game. i am definitely a simulation fan but i also prioritise highly the physics/visual realism aspect, i cant rely purely on or be entirely satisfied with good football fundamentals, if that were the case i might as well go and play PES5 or sensible soccer.

it's completely unfair and patronising to say that just because someone thinks physics/animation is important means you aren't a simulation fan; if simulation means replication of real life then those parts of the game are nearly if not just as important as the fundamentals. ideally you want a good blend of both solid football fundamentals and cutting edge gaming technology and i honestly do not believe either game has achieved that balance yet. the choices we have at the moment essentially come down to a choice of sacrifice, whichever game you play you are sacrificing something important and that is not the same as back in the day where you sacrificed nothing but leagues and licenses if you played PES over FIFA.
To me, "simulation" means how well the game replicates the tactics and skill of the real sport. For me, that's by far the most important aspect of a sports game, and PES is so much better in this area.

Animations and graphics are nice to have, but as long as they're functional (as PES' are - ugly at times, but do their job), then it doesn't really impact on how the game simulates football.
What exactly do FIFA's nice animations achieve in terms of simulating football? Yes, visually it's more pleasing on the eye, but it's a novelty that wears off quickly.

Fight Night Champion has nice graphics and animations, but don't try telling me that it's a boxing sim...

Last edited by a moderator:
And again, getting through the midfield is laughably easy with a minimum amount of passes, and then you hit the wall of defenders... at least the lobs seemed ineffective.

That video is a good example of the need for momentum while changing directions. There is no acceleration at all, it's just one direction to another without change of pace.

In truth Legendary is just as bad a way to judge the game as Easy is. In one the AI is inept and in the other the AI is unnecessarily clairvoyant with added AI defenders being faster than wingers.

I still find the turning circle speeds, lack of foot-planting and inertia insulting though. Case in point, that whole match and i doubt it has much to do with the difficulty level. I skipped to 30 seconds in and Dani Alves runs in about 5 different directions in the space of 2 seconds.

It looks horrendous.

is anyone questioning EA/Rutter on their forums about how shit the game is looking? I would do it myself but I spent way too much time last year complaining about pro-passing etc. and promised myself I wouldn't get involved this time

As someone who finds slow way too fast, seeing this video on fast setting was comical. How can the people that produce this game see this and believe they have the pace of the sport down?

The spin move turns are laughable. This game may have good animations, but it is achieved by having no respect for any type of movement physics.

that stream was terrible, only improvement i saw was some new goalkeeper save animations. the inertia problem is sticking out like a sore thumb for me now, it almost looks like a bug it's that crazy, the players aren't just floating they are aquaplaning. the precision dribbling demo was garbage as well, basically you can turn on the spot...hardly a revolution

is anyone questioning EA/Rutter on their forums about how shit the game is looking? I would do it myself but I spent way too much time last year complaining about pro-passing etc. and promised myself I wouldn't get involved this time

There's no point. EA literally have an answer for everything. For anything else, they refer you to one of their 20 sticky threads that have taken up enough room on their forum to stop actual fan posted threads from staying on the front page for more than 2minutes at a time.

I said this before but i'm just waiting patiently for the demos. Prove me wrong EA.

i don't know why but the link i posted looks totally differnet in a bad way from what we've seen on gamescom clips.

does it mean that pc version is different than console ones after all?

I know to wait for the demo before making conclusions, but if I was to give impressions on Rutter's Revolutionary Holy Trinity TM :PUKE: :PUKE: based on these videos, I would say that 'Impact Engine' is worthless (works only half the time, and doesn't make much difference anyway), 'Tactical Defending' is a nonsense because everyone still just muscles in regardless, and 'Technical Dribbling' has so far been non-existent.

I learnt last year that waiting for the demo isn't conclsive either. FIFA11 demo made me think it was an amazing game - but they'd gone backwards in the retail version.

No, this time I hold on and play the "finished" article - or at least what EA try to pass off as "finished"

Mind you, there will be one thing "finished" if FIFA12 fails to deliver.... My history of buying FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom