FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Well, I'm only assuming cos you can see the 'pro-passing' marker on the power bar for passes. Don't think you get that on manual passes.

The speed on that video is awful, probably not helped by the passes pinging around with nobody wanting to spend more than 2 seconds on the ball. Could do with seeing a video and gameplay run at slow speed instead.

The play around 2:40 is pretty good, loved the pass. The shot is also an indicator that it could be manual, or at least semi?

The speed on that video is awful, probably not helped by the passes pinging around with nobody wanting to spend more than 2 seconds on the ball. Could do with seeing a video and gameplay run at slow speed instead.

The play around 2:40 is pretty good, loved the pass. The shot is also an indicator that it could be manual, or at least semi?

Agreed.

It just amazes me no one ever clears the bloody ball. Seriously its all just ground pass, ground pass ground pass even in danger areas

I'd love a year where i could switch between the two but PES had too many things issues i couldn't get over.

Looks like it'll be closer this year, but that mental fast, no error passing and sprinting on the videos took me back to Fifa 10... Hopefully its gone before release.

EDIT

YouTube - FIFA 12, City vs Mailand, Gameplay 1 on 1, XBOX 360 (gamescom 2011, Media Day)

Look at 3:10 onwards when they start to sprint and ping-pong.... Loads of stray passes and no success.

i cant really watch more than thirty seconds of that, assisted fifa is such an ugly, horrible game.

i bet there on manual - guarantee it

assisted will home in like a misile

if they are playing on asisted, then that is good news

They guy playing Milan is semi or manual, the guy playing City is assisted, the passes getting misplaced by City guy were very encouraging, it was when he was rushing.. I.E. How everyone play Fifa 11 now.

i bet there on manual - guarantee it

assisted will home in like a misile

if they are playing on asisted, then that is good news

they arent on manual lol, you cant do those ridiculous long range first time passes on manual, and you can clearly see the pass speed indicator so they are at best on semi but most likely assisted with pass speed assistance disabled

I'd love a year where i could switch between the two but PES had too many things issues i couldn't get over.

Looks like it'll be closer this year, but that mental fast, no error passing and sprinting on the videos took me back to Fifa 10... Hopefully its gone before release.

EDIT

YouTube - FIFA 12, City vs Mailand, Gameplay 1 on 1, XBOX 360 (gamescom 2011, Media Day)

Look at 3:10 onwards when they start to sprint and ping-pong.... Loads of stray passes and no success.

That vid looks good, the ball looks like it has more bobble and id deffo say its on manual with some of the stray passes

do any of you even play manual? look at the pass speed indicators, and they are doing long range passes without "powering up", unless they've drastically changed manual its not manual

they arent on manual lol, you cant do those ridiculous long range first time passes on manual, and you can clearly see the pass speed indicator so they are at best on semi but most likely assisted with pass speed assistance disabled

i meant to say i bet they are on assisted not manual

OK this one is good... to show bad and good things... Silly pace with two players rushing again....

1:55 - Fifa 11 that long ball goes straight to the player... Here no where near. Worth noting it was played by David Silva.

2:05 - Yaya Toure implodes over showing the new Impact Engine still not sorted

2:20 - again players rushing again passes going a stray.

3:20 - Impact Engine looks good for once.

5:02 - That looks painful :-)

6:15 IE Fail again

8:27 Run tracked fine

9:00 Fulback again getting forward without a triggered run.

9:45 Aguero is ACE!!! (sorry)

11:00 i cant believe that celebration is still in... almost a deal breaker..

YouTube - GC 2011: Kolejny gameplay z FIFA 12

Last edited:
OK this one is good... to show bad and good things... Silly pace with two players rushing again....

1:55 - Fifa 11 that long ball goes straight to the player... Here no where near. Worth noting it was played by David Silva.

look at the tackle at 7:55...ridiculous, 10:53 richards bulldozes into someone..im not seeing this change in defending, it still looks completely void of skill, i havent seen a single example of someone jockey to hold up an attacker and it be worthwhile, still it seems the best way to win the ball is to charge into people at full speed. fucking disappointing to be honest

still makes me laugh how people go oun about "PES Depth" . If you want depth go and play championship manager, depth alone is not enough if you want to play the game on the pitch

That last comment about depth is pretty astounding. You're actually trying to claim that football games don't need a level of depth in their gameplay? Really? Yes, because not having any depth to gameplay whatsoever is really going to make people want to play it over any concerted length of time, huh.

Sounds like you're just after a game with flashy gimmicks, pretty (ish) graphics and a nice soundtrack. That's your perogative, no worries there, but trying to claim that's all a sports simulation needs is pretty ridiculous.

That last comment about depth is pretty astounding. You're actually trying to claim that football games don't need a level of depth in their gameplay? Really? Yes, because not having any depth to gameplay whatsoever is really going to make people want to play it over any concerted length of time, huh.

Sounds like you're just after a game with flashy gimmicks, pretty (ish) graphics and a nice soundtrack. That's your perogative, no worries there, but trying to claim that's all a sports simulation needs is pretty ridiculous.
As being a FIFA fanboy and PES hater, he knew that there's no other way to defend FIFA from PES in this aspect other than comparing it to Football Manager.

I know to wait for the demo before making conclusions, but if I was to give impressions on Rutter's Revolutionary Holy Trinity TM :PUKE: :PUKE: based on these videos, I would say that 'Impact Engine' is worthless (works only half the time, and doesn't make much difference anyway), 'Tactical Defending' is a nonsense because everyone still just muscles in regardless, and 'Technical Dribbling' has so far been non-existent.

I know to wait for the demo before making conclusions, but if I was to give impressions on Rutter's Revolutionary Holy Trinity TM :PUKE: :PUKE: based on these videos, I would say that 'Impact Engine' is worthless (works only half the time, and doesn't make much difference anyway), 'Tactical Defending' is a nonsense because everyone still just muscles in regardless, and 'Technical Dribbling' has so far been non-existent.
well, the concept of "Impact engine" indeed is revolutionary to any football game. But its impact to the gameplay seems not that revolutionary. Still waiting the demo to feel the impact to the gameplay myself...

Last edited:
I too will wait until the demo, but I've been seeing the same things as you nerf. I've suspected that battering a defender through pressure and bodily contact would still be the same, impact engine is merely new animations for tackles (that look way over the top), and dribbling, well, you can't escape the violent nature of the tackling. I can't see anything revolutionary in these things. How are new animations for tackles resulting in over the top, legs akimbo style player contact in any way beneficial to any aspect of the game?

I'm sure you can choose to defend in a more tactical way, but I'll be amazed if the AI chooses to use it on the higher difficulties, and we already know people online will ignore it. Like most things EA introduce, it's a feature that technically works, but is overpowered by other aspects of the game they can't be bothered to fix.

As for those earlier videos with Rutter, he just gives the impression of an arrogant guy who thinks he's the shit because he heads up such a top selling game. Really don't want to give him or EA my money this time round. And that's before all the usual complaints begin to surface when some massive game ending bug appears in Career Mode for the third year in a row, with absolutely no responses from EA in their official forums. It's amazing how they do a runner once the game's released every year.

Just meaningless buzz words.

EA should stop all this, be more humble, and get their heads down and work on the things that will give FIFA some footballing persona.

They are so close to a great game, yet so fucking far it's untrue.

Will the PC version be the same as console or it will be just like FIFA11 where it was convert from FiFA10?

the thing i dont understand is if the impact engine was working properly players should actually be able to protect the ball, it still seems like they have no body weight at all and just get robbed of possession too easily. if anything it might have got worse, even in fifa 11 you wouldnt have a situation like 7:55 on the previous video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcoAlyaOJx4#t=7m53s), the defender looked super human, like he was wearing the bio suit from crysis and enabled speed mode to win the ball back

Impact Engine looks weird for me...it seems that is a scripted thing, a little seconds after the impact, Players back to the normal with a strange movement. but it's cool... when it works.

Urgh, the more I see the worse it gets :(.

I think EA's only chance of making FIFA appeal to sim-heads is going to be when the next-gen consoles come out and they need to revamp the game completely and start again from scratch.

It just seems like the core of this game engine is a complete turd when it comes to football, even if they keep tweaking it again for the next few years, I just can't see it ever becoming much good. Kind of like how on PS2, when we had PES5 v FIFA 06, we just knew that PES was build upon much a much better gameplay engine and EA wouldn't be able to come back until they scrapped that engine.

The vid on the last page from here is sweet.

http://youtu.be/I2oDR64kadk?t=4m28s

Albeit not perfect but there's a lovely bit of play but no goal. It's a shame the easiest way to score would have been a long chipped through-ball.

Jamezinho said it best: "They are so close to a great game, yet so fucking far it's untrue".

It's a combination of "we know better than you" arrogance and greed. Why the hell is Garry Patterson, your gameplay producer for the biggest sports franchise in Europe/the world, working on a trick-fest side-project? Why is the AI being shoe-horned in last as if it were perfect in FIFA11? Why doesn't EA listen to it's "Gamechangers"? What's the point in them? I mean no offence to Gamechangers, but EA just isn't listening to you, clearly. If they had the passing and AI would be the first things they spent 2 years "out of house" fixing. Not how players fall down(impact engine).

It's strikes me that Konami HAD to listen to their fans cause PES2007-2009 was genuinely weak.

Saying all that, this game will play as well as any other FIFA with a better MM and improved presentation. I'm not expecting much more. Not sure why David Rutter keeps talking about "Revolutions".

p.s. Many here will see me banging-on about player faces like a 12 year old EA forums fan-kid, but I promise I've got my reasons. It shows passion and care for what you're doing to add details like this. Akin to someone personalising a football kit with Kun Aguero or Chicarito, these fans want to see their heroes materialised in a video game.

Konami seriously get this. EA not so much. Though this year the kit select screen is a huge jump in the right direction, you'll notice the player models are still shoulder-less leading to arms hanging like they've applied deodorant with fire. And the appearance of many seem to be left undone, all the while Marseilles 17 year old 3rd string goalkeeper is scanned in all his glory. I say this 8-way cam experiment isn't working well. For example: If an arrogant star such as Ibramovich doesn't turn up that day that means they're never done. If I were Rutter I'd bite the bullet and ape the way PES does it for players they can't scan. It's not that bad

http://images.vg247.com/current//2011/08/20110818pes2012_3.jpg

/long post :LOL:

Heh nice breakdown there...Not the style of play I prefer, I think other videos were frankly more pleasant to watch, especially those against the CPU on higher difficulty settings (didn't I'd be able to say this for a Fifa game! *gasp*) I just wanna add, that another thing that's sorely lacking in Fifa 11 which they've implemented well here is player marking. There's usually somebody close by to select for defense. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Fifa 11, as a result of its dismal player positioning which couldn't get more glaring, having played close to 900 club games with two other friends (and if I recall correctly, your AI teammates are set on Legendary?!) It came to a point where, after a clocking in a couple hundred games together, we spend most of our time during each match pointing out the AI's flaws and tendencies.

Konami seriously get this. EA not so much. Though this year the kit select screen is a huge jump in the right direction, you'll notice the player models are still shoulder-less leading to arms hanging like they've applied deodorant with fire. And the appearance of many seem to be left undone, all the while Marseilles 17 year old 3rd string goalkeeper is scanned in all his glory. I say this 8-way cam experiment isn't working well. For example: If an arrogant star such as Ibramovich doesn't turn up that day that means they're never done. If I were Rutter I'd bite the bullet and ape the way PES does it for players they can't scan. It's not that bad

http://images.vg247.com/current//2011/08/20110818pes2012_3.jpg

/long post :LOL:

I think PES faces are much better than Fifa's anyway, no matter who they've scanned.

Back
Top Bottom