FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

What about Spurs in the Champions League last season, beating the likes of Inter and Ac Milan, finishing top of the group and reaching the Quarter Finals against Real Madrid? It put Bale and Modric on the map. Don't remember EA running to Tottenham with red notes for their images rights? Still no white Hart Lane. Still generic, simian-faced, Modric and Bale.

EA must have found Manchster City's jaunt in the UEFA League a far more thrilling affair I suppose.

This isn't about marketability. It's about money. If they really cared about marketability they'd scan the entire Barca squad and have Iniesta playing the game in the Nou Camp. Not Micah Richards @ Eastlands/Etihad(?).

And people complained about Arsenal getting preferential treatment btw. I did anyway. Not as loudly as this announcement because they are regular CL participants that always make it out the group stage, and there wasn't an "arsenal edition" pack or anything. They were photgraphed with other squads.

So i pressume Newcastle also get a special pack too? Why don't EA stop the bootlicking and just focus on getting the top 4 teams in SPAIN, ENGLAND, ITALY, FRANCE and GERMANY done for FIFA 12. That's 20 teams with real faces that the Majority will use. They've already done most of them. They should have knocked off the rest by now. Instead the fart around with Newcastle. Christ. Great for fans of Newcastle, I guess.

Last edited:
Exactly... thats how things go for god sakes, City is a big gun now weather plp like it or not.... or u think that if it wasnt for Abramovich we would have Stamford Bridge in the game??!

Yeah, and surely we hope more clubs do this not less. Having Goodison, White Hart Lane, Villa Park etc would be great... If doing deals like the one with City is what it takes to get them in the games so be it...

What about Spurs in the Champions League last season, beating the likes of Inter and Ac Milan, finishing top of the group and reaching the Quarter Finals against Real Madrid? It put Bale and Modric on the map. Don't remember EA running to Tottenham with red notes for their images rights? Still no white Hart Lane. Still generic, simian-faced, Modric and Bale.

EA must have found Manchster City's jaunt in the UEFA League a far more thrilling affair I suppose.

This isn't about marketability. It's about money. If they really cared about marketability they'd scan the entire Barca squad an have Iniesta playing the game in the Nou Camp. Not Micah Richards @ Eastlands/Etihad(?).

And people complained about Arsenal getting preferential treatment btw. I did anyway. Not as loudly as this announcement because they are regular CL participants that always make it out the group stage, and there wasn't and "arsenal edition" pack or anything. They were photgraphed with other squads.

So i pressume Newcastle also get a special pack too? Why don't EA stop the bootlicking and just focus on getting the top 4 teams in SPAIN, ENGLAND, ITALY, FRANCE and GERMANY done for FIFA 12. That's 20 teams with real faces that the Majority will use. They've already done most of them. They should have knocked off the rest by now. Instead the fart around with Newcastle. Christ. Great for fans of Newcastle, I guess.

They should have done Spurs.. Like PES did. Thats the point.. I certainly wouldn't have moaned, well deserved.. especially how you played at our place in the decider.

This coming year (Fifa 12) its us that are in the Champions league (not qualifying stages)... and we've just won the FA cup, the timing to include City like this IS correct. Yet you're saying they should put last years teams in instead of this years?

This is nothing but jealousy and when they do put your club in they'll not be a peep about it.

PS i think faces are different because players move clubs all the time so it must be hard to keep track.

They should have done Spurs.. Like PES did. Thats the point.. I certainly wouldn't have moaned, well deserved.. especially how you played at our place in the decider.

This coming year (Fifa 12) its us that are in the Champions league (not qualifying stages)... and we've just won the FA cup, the timing to include City like this IS correct. Yet you're saying they should put last years teams in instead of this years?

This is nothing but jealousy and when they do put your club in they'll not be a peep about it.

PS i think faces are different because players move clubs all the time so it must be hard to keep track.

Where did i say that?

What I will say is, and I use Spurs as an example, that Spurs have been in the top5 consistently for half a decade barring, one year. In that period that have qualified for the CL reaching the quarter finals and won the Carling cup. If we're going off of the same prerequisites you listed for Manchester City's love-in with EA then I surely have to doubt the sincerity of this trist.

Yes, Man City deserve recognition for their achievements 2010/11 but to ignore Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, especially considering the achievements of both teams last season, I can't help but think that Malaga is the next team to get a "special edition".

My argument, incase it was lost in all this, is that EA should be looking at the overall rather than picking and choosing teams. It's obvious to me that the problem isn't flying out there and getting the players together. It's more a case of "what can we get for it" and that sticks in the throat when they get more than enough (highest selling sports title of all time and now they have an SE too as well as UT etc).

You probably think i'm picking on Man City, i'm not. I didn't exactly bite my lip when i heard EA were adding "gunner themed banners" and tassels around Emirates stadium, all the while ignoring the fact White Hart Lane, Ibrox, Maracana etc are nowhere to be found.

Oh here we go, the old jealousy angle.

I'll be buying the game regardless because i enjoy it. My main point though is that by doing this they pee off some of the market. And so what you made the CL? So what you won the FA Cup? good for you but a poor return for 325million over three seasons in my opinion.

For the record the only reason i see this as a bit of a danger is because there is no way this is being done simply for some advertising. Im pretty sure City will get some slice of the profits. If thats the case then they are trying to get more revenue streams anyway they can to avoid the penalties in the Fifa Financial Fair play ruling that comes in soon because your outgoings are enormous.

Personally i think its bad for the game and for Fifa to do this, it is no way comparable to the little deals clubs did with konami, which WERE mainly about advertising.

Last edited:
Just read this: http://www.sweetpatch.tv/index.cfm?articleid=7181 "FIFA 12 Career Mode as a Beginner" and one thing I really didn't like the sound of:

Sure maybe it's realistic that a player may be sold without the manager's consent but I really don't want this to happen in the game to be honest, it should be my choice as the manager whether I sell an unhappy player or try to persevere with him. Imagine if you're a ManUtd fan and the board sell off Wayne Rooney, how happy would you be to continue playing Fifa? Or Gerrard at Liverpool etc. etc.

Yeah, that better not be how it is. This is a perfect example of how too much realism can be a bad thing for CM. And if it is in that a player can be sold against our wishes, then it also better be in that I can immediately resign!

Nick, can you check on this?

Man City got big clams(£££$$$) they are the Rupert Murdoch of the football world! People don't want them elbowing their way on to the dinning table, but guess what? Those dirty bastards are here and to stay by the looks of things so get used to it.

It's very circular Rom, but things like the defensive lines are "balanced" AFAIK based on how the game plays with all the features in so that they can condense reasonable believability in terms of a condensed amount of game time.

I guess it needs breaking out in to various AI aspects. Player positioning could be difficult to do when you don't have "tactical" defending working correctly. Conversely player runs could be worked on earlier (and AI variance in playing patterns) although again wouldn't you need to understand how the impact engine will change the potential outcomes and options.

I don't make video games so maybe the way they do it works for them and the code base they have to work with.

I don't want it "balanced", I want it balanced. I dont want it balanced as a game, I want it balanced as a football game. As such, FIFA falls way short of being balanced.

To put it another way, if the only way to balance your football game is by breaking the offside line for multiple editions, to the extent that FIFA does, among all the other complaints the community has about the subjects which EA have said are covered at the end of the process, then somewhere in those three or more years you have to ask yourself if maybe 6-8 weeks is nothing like enough time.

Last edited:
If anyone is overdue a real face in Fifa it's surely James Milner? 9 years in the top flight, nearing 250 EPL appearances, 46 England U21 caps, 19 England senior caps, £20m in transfers, etc. etc.

pedro, busquets

3 years in barça

2 champions leagues
3 spanish league
1 worlcup clubs
1 supercup european
1 worldcup nations

they are importnts player in barcelona 11, and spain

i agree that milner, hart, wllshire and superman and batman have his real face...but i don't understand why the best club no it's a full

+1

Yeah, that better not be how it is. This is a perfect example of how too much realism can be a bad thing for CM. And if it is in that a player can be sold against our wishes, then it also better be in that I can immediately resign!

Nick, can you check on this?

Mr R did say the game is more pro active and "will throw us curve balls" every now and again.. As the board level is still adjustable it may be that on the highest levels things like this are more likely but no one playing at EA Guildford had this..

Getting answers from Canada are difficult at the moment they are entertaining Man City at the moment...:P

This guy on the EA forum.

'erengurkan'

He said this after watching the video there with Micha Richards vs the Vancouver Whitecaps guy on FIFA:

Yes, Micha Richards knows Nothing about soccer according to this guy :CONFUSE:

He's only a full international and Premier League player? Nope, he knows nothing!

I think the fact he didn't know who Micha Richards is speaks volumes in itself!

The way Micah Richards play football, I kinda understand where he's coming from.
Micah's football brain is as huge as an atom

:LOL:
I'd be very surprised if he does indeed stay @ City. Shame. He was gearing up to be a city legend before he went to waste his time @ Chelsea.

@ Max/Nick,

If they put in the curveballs relative to the type of club you manage I think it would be a great addition. It may be annoying as the manager, but it would also make for a lively managermode, knowing you have signed for a "selling" club and are trying to get to the top whilst also keeping your players. I would have enjoyed managing last seasons Liverpool with their assetstripping owners, what Torres is sold?! It's veyr sterile atm, but these types of annoying aspects will add to the gameworld. It just needs to be balanced and logical.

Mr R did say the game is more pro active and "will throw us curve balls" every now and again.. As the board level is still adjustable it may be that on the highest levels things like this are more likely but no one playing at EA Guildford had this..

Getting answers from Canada are difficult at the moment they are entertaining Man City at the moment...:P

There's curve balls and poorly thought out, poorly designed, poorly implemented features, yes there should be times when the finances mean that the board say that you must lower the wage bill by x amount but selling a player with zero input from yourself because he got a strop on is just bullshit, it's akin to the Glazers deciding to sell Rooney last year, wouldn't have happened, there'd have been riots on the streets of Ireland and Cornwall...

I actually think curveballs like this are a good idea. It stops you from having a bench of superstars in 2015. People will actually want to leave and can force a move if you leave them on the bench. In Fifa 11 i played with Ganso and Gourcuff while Fabregas and Iniesta sat on my bench playing dominoes or whatever they filled their time with. It'll definitely give me something to do at least. I just hope EA have realised that youngsters are more likely to tolerate long bench times but super star players won't. I don't want my 17 year old pipping-up about play time.

Slightly naive? You bet. Your telling me, City get nothing, nada, zero? Apart from some advertising, most of which was in there anyway as the team is licensed anyway.

No my friend, theres always reasons behind deals and theres always money to be made one way or another.

And why Man City? Manchester City are relatively new to the circle of so called big boys, if you want to call it that. You'd get so much more from a deal with Barca, Real, man U, Inter, Liverpool for example.

Something doesnt add up, and EA need to watch they dont upset their buyers.

Am I missing something? I mean I can't stand City as much as the next none-City fan, but why would City be getting anything from this? There is no reason to have City in the game, it's not like EA need to have them to sell more games. Nobody really cares about City in the grand scheme of things when you look at the fanbase of the other clubs worldwide.

Surely this is a balanced, if not a profitable deal for EA? City get early exposure to a relatively large generic fanbase and try to use FIFA as a verhicle to get more exposure. Having the correct stadium and players will just add a more realistic setting for gamers when choosing City. I can't see anything other then City paying EA for this extra level of advertisement.

What does the deal actually entail? Other then some faces and a stadium and maybe a clubshop boxcover? Tbh I think it's all just marketing with both parties using each other for extra exposure.

And how much profit do you think EA earn from a FIFA release? It won't be a huge amount, and will be pennies compared to what City spend each week on wages.

I actually think curveballs like this are a good idea. It stops you from having a bench of superstars in 2015. People will actually want to leave and can force a move if you leave them on the bench. In Fifa 11 i played with Ganso and Gourcuff while Fabregas and Iniesta sat on my bench playing dominoes or whatever they filled their time with. It'll definitely give me something to do at least. I just hope EA have realised that youngsters are more likely to tolerate long bench times but super star players won't. I don't want my 17 year old pipping-up about play time.

Adam Johnson made a few whinges about bench time early on in his City career, don't imagine Sheik Mansour deciding to flog him off without Mancini being consulted at all...

Am I missing something? I mean I can't stand City as much as the next none-City fan, but why would City be getting anything from this? There is no reason to have City in the game, it's not like EA need to have them to sell more games. Nobody really cares about City in the grand scheme of things when you look at the fanbase of the other clubs worldwide.

Surely this is a balanced, if not a profitable deal for EA? City get early exposure to a relatively large generic fanbase and try to use FIFA as a verhicle to get more exposure. Having the correct stadium and players will just add a more realistic setting for gamers when choosing City. I can't see anything other then City paying EA for this extra level of advertisement.

What does the deal actually entail? Other then some faces and a stadium and maybe a clubshop boxcover? Tbh I think it's all just marketing with both parties using each other for extra exposure.

And how much profit do you think EA earn from a FIFA release? It won't be a huge amount, and will be pennies compared to what City spend each week on wages.

Didn't the press release say that there will be simulations of real world matches? By which I understood that Man City matches / highlights would be available to view via the FIFA engine? Or did I completely misinterpret that?

Edit: yes I did. They're match simulations as EA already do for certain big matches. I remember EA talking in some sort of interview about having something as I described and I assumed they must be at that stage already.

Last edited:

There's curve balls and poorly thought out, poorly designed, poorly implemented features, yes there should be times when the finances mean that the board say that you must lower the wage bill by x amount but selling a player with zero input from yourself because he got a strop on is just bullshit, it's akin to the Glazers deciding to sell Rooney last year, wouldn't have happened, there'd have been riots on the streets of Ireland and Cornwall...

I too like the idea of "curveballs" adding to what has for years been a very monotonous and poor experience, but I agree with Placebo on this one: I am concerned about features being designed and implemented poorly that can ruin the experience, especially if you are given no say in the process at all. It's sort of akin to why handballs are off by default in gameplay.

A much better way to go about things, which is what I thought they were doing, is by including an intelligent morale system it becomes essential to more realistically manage your players. Doing so poorly would then be seen on the pitch, forcing managerial moves by you, not the mathematical equations of the CPU.

So, for example, in your example of playing Ganso and Gourcuff while Fabregas and Iniesta sat the bench, Fabregas and Iniesta's morale would decline to such a point that keeping them on the squad would be pointless, essentially forcing your hand, but in a much more subtle way than having the board go ahead and decide to sell your player. I'd much rather, say, have the option to sell Ganso and give more playing time to Fabregas to improve his morale and resolve the situation, than be forced into a specific route of action by the CPU.

And let's not forget that this is the same EA that has given us such terribly implemented features in the past, from a broken growth system last year to the board firing you for completely illogical reasons.

Curveballs I like, but I'm not keen on the idea of allowing the CPU to make such harsh and severe decisions without my input. Hopefully there is more to this story than what was presented in that sweetpatch article.

Surely it's simply a case of

Fifa Games = Large worldwide fanbase (a brand)
Man City = Team in desperate desire to be international recognised

Put the two together and hey presto. EA probably make a large sum of money from the deal and Man City get the publicity and attention that they crave.

Last edited:
Didn't the press release say that there will be simulations of real world matches? By which I understood that Man City matches / highlights would be available to view via the FIFA engine? Or did I completely misinterpret that?

Edit: yes I did. They're match simulations as EA already do for certain big matches. I remember EA talking in some sort of interview about having something as I described and I assumed they must be at that stage already.

Should work, seeing as FIFA replays are sh!te and City are boring as .... ;)

Surely the issue has to be that while PES is unveiling videos highlighting some good gameplay improvements, all those of us who buy FIFA (or both games in my case) are being left with are videos that are leaving some of us pretty disturbed at what is happening to the game.

Then, after that, and all the accusations of EA selling themselves down the river with gimmicks, buzzwords and empty gestures, they then help the situation further by releasing some bollocks video showing off Manchester City's new kit?! Really? Nothing really against Man City, I'd have said it regardless of what team it is, but after all the gameplay complaints, CM complaints, we're being asked to be excited by videos showing off cynical advertising deals between EA and one of the richest clubs in the world. EA aren't trying to pedal the game here off the back of it's quality, rather than the fact that suddenly they are showing off some alliance with a club that mysteriously has had a massive upsurge in supporters coming out of the woodwork the moment someone starts flashing some cash around.

It's empty advertising in an attempt to snare all those casual football fans who've jumped on the Man City bandwagon. Nothing more.

It's a shame EA are so intent on milking this series for all it's worth. It shouldn't take £million deals to get each team scanned. I'd like them to just get the passion into their game for once and just try and make it as authentic an experience as they can. This is actually getting ridiculous.

I always say this but the tech is in the wrong hands. We'd be in heaven if konami had all the tech @ EA's disposal.

Well they have to get permission from a club to do the head captures. So there must be a lot of hurdles to jump to get them done.

Back
Top Bottom