FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

So do you guys feel that you are allowed any kind of input into the game at all when you go down and try the game out? I hear every year that most reccomendations people make are ignored, which makes the whole thing sound from EA's part like a hollow excercise to get people talking about it more on the forums. Maybe I'm wrong, but interesting though it must be to go down and play early builds of the game, do you get any sense that EA are valuing your input?

So do you guys feel that you are allowed any kind of input into the game at all when you go down and try the game out? I hear every year that most reccomendations people make are ignored, which makes the whole thing sound from EA's part like a hollow excercise to get people talking about it more on the forums. Maybe I'm wrong, but interesting though it must be to go down and play early builds of the game, do you get any sense that EA are valuing your input?

In a word, no.

Pro Passing and Tactical Defending would not exist if not for the opinions of people on the forums. Frankly LTFC, if the programme is about producing buzz, then I can't imagine any of the previews coming out of us would have helped them at all.

http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/711510.page

I'm absolutely stubborn in that, if EA's goal is to build buzz (and I don't think it is), I will not facilitate that by pulling punches.

I'm sure that they haven't taken the advice on board much over the last few years, and they may continue not to do so, but we can always push harder and be more persuasive. There is a sizable difference between last year and this year already: the almost unanimous sense that has come out of the early June meeting is that FIFA 12 has a long way to go, and we've been much more public about it.

It's a learning exercise for EA and for us to get the approach right, but I'm sure that we are effecting FIFA's development and that we can continue to crank that up if we act cleverly. We can sit here and do nothing or we can try and try and try. There is no doubt that we are getting paid attention to, maybe not enough, maybe not as much as we'd like, but this community probably has more of a platform to effect this game's development than almost any other community and game. We should be grateful for that.

I do.

It's important to discern between not listening, and not thinking about the game in the way we would want. You can see with a lot of the gameplay announcements over the past couple of years that the intention is to answer those complaints we raise. Injuries, stamina, ease of pressing, passing, AI variety, reducing physical bias towards strong players... How many of these are things that Hjerpes and the like would be complaining about? Meanwhile I can see even in FIFA 11 a number of changes that I believe I'm responsible for, either because I asked or because the GCs, or you guys, asked. I know I asked for L2 to allow you to trap the ball close without zooming off into the distance - whether that was just me I can't say for sure.

The problem is not that EA don't listen to the complaints we have with the game, or that they don't try and address those topic headers - the problem is that the way they look to resolve those issues are not in line with our vision of how they should fix them, or that EA pick out the top 3 or 4 and focus on those, rather than make several smaller but ultimately more balanced changes.

I do.

It's important to discern between not listening, and not thinking about the game in the way we would want. You can see with a lot of the gameplay announcements over the past couple of years that the intention is to answer those complaints we raise. Injuries, stamina, ease of pressing, passing, AI variety, reducing physical bias towards strong players... How many of these are things that Hjerpes and the like would be complaining about? Meanwhile I can see even in FIFA 11 a number of changes that I believe I'm responsible for, either because I asked or because the GCs, or you guys, asked. I know I asked for L2 to allow you to trap the ball close without zooming off into the distance - whether that was just me I can't say for sure.

The problem is not that EA don't listen to the complaints we have with the game, or that they don't try and address those topic headers - the problem is that the way they look to resolve those issues are not in line with our vision of how they should fix them, or that EA pick out the top 3 or 4 and focus on those, rather than make several smaller but ultimately more balanced changes.

BTW, the L2 "trap and turn on the spot" move by holding L2 and feathering the stick in a direction is brilliant. That feature alone makes me never being able to go back to previous FIFA iterations. Though it is basically what PES had since PES5 (as I recall PES4 and previous didn't have "trap and turn" feature) by holding R2 and a direction. Nevertheless, as long as they add good features... :)

Last edited:
I do.

and probably to add to that, that they often soften changes to make them less jolting for the casual player.

That's a good idea - and you're right, the simulation/elite controls don't make the game any more "manual", in fact you can place the ball more accurately and consistently on arcade controls due to the reduced error.
What sim/elite (especially elite) do though, is reward good shot selection/anticipation.

As long as the "elite" settings were the online default, I think a similar system would be great in FIFA.

That Tennis Elbow game has a lot of different helpers, showing you how things work so that you can get used to it - you can gradually reduce these as you become more comfortable with the controls and the game.

There's also a setting called "autopositioning" that can be set to slow, average or fast, this changes how fast your player moves towards the "striking zone" of the ball when you hold the button to play a shot.
With it on "low" you basically have to do all of the footwork yourself, to position your player to hit the "sweet spot" on the racquet.
This sort of thing could be implemented in FIFA in the form of "defensive autopositioning", so with it on "low" you'd have to use the analog stick to "contain" and tackle etc.

Another thing is that when playing against the CPU, there are six different "difficulty levels", but each one has 10 "sublevels", meaning that you really have 60 different levels of difficulty, all the way from completely useless to invincible.
Having that in FIFA would mean that you could tweak the game to suit your level - I always hated how on FIFA 08-10 that Professional was so easy, but World Class and above was just a borefest.

I play World Class in Fifa11 and it's balanced well, my team is now 4.5 stars and when I play lesser teams (the likes of Villa and below) it's usually a comfortable win, when I play better teams (top 4-6) it's a real struggle, for example first match this season I played Chelsea at home and lost 4-1 (Torres and Dzeko up front for them were unstoppable), the AI challenge is significantly better balanced in 11 than any Fifa to date, it used to be that the likes of Bolton would be your hardest opponent and Man Utd/Chelsea the easiest, no more.

I've managed to lose twice against Bolton this season in my CM, both 1-0's! And I'm raining League, FA and CL champions!
I do agree though, the AI teams are better balanced in regard to difficulty

Those options in Tennis Elbow sound more like the sliders we've been asking for (amount of aim inaccuracy etc) rather than actual controller input settings.

the problem with full manual controls in FIFA is that it allows crap players to play like gods
No, it doesn't.

Last edited:
I play World Class in Fifa11 and it's balanced well, my team is now 4.5 stars and when I play lesser teams (the likes of Villa and below) it's usually a comfortable win, when I play better teams (top 4-6) it's a real struggle, for example first match this season I played Chelsea at home and lost 4-1 (Torres and Dzeko up front for them were unstoppable), the AI challenge is significantly better balanced in 11 than any Fifa to date, it used to be that the likes of Bolton would be your hardest opponent and Man Utd/Chelsea the easiest, no more.

That's odd because I found the opposite. In my CM I managed to hammer Chelsea 4-0 because they actually attacked me and left a normal amound of space between their midfield and defence, whereas I almost always struggled against lesser teams who shove every player back with 25 yards of their own goal, and then out comes the superman AI defending. Playing the likes of Bolton would end up being ludicrous, 11 defenders all sprinting, marauding nutters who'd just hammer through your body to win the ball, then try and hit you on the same exact counter attack every time (the long ball from deep out to the wing, quick cross, header, goal). Same thing every time.

No, it doesn't.

True and false.

True, certianly not every players plays like gods. Manual passing is a challenge, but stats don't do enough which is the point he's making so you don't have to really think about your passers and his limits.

False in that theoretically you can pass anywhere you want (which you can't since the sensitivity is very poor so short, cute passes are clunky and hard.)

Just hit me that with FIFA 08 how the manual through ball gave you an advantage over opponents who used assisted. Since then it's been a pure disadvantage. It's just not sensitive enough and it needs a lot of work, and with PES 2011, I'm using the manual modifier so much these days on that game. The sensitivity is 10 times better so you can put the ball wherever you want but it's still tied into stats!

And with Assisted you do?

:LOL: come on mate you know i was alluding to the whole passing system on FIFA being poor when it comes to representing passing accuracy. You know i was not saying Assisted > Manual.

I was saying their both shit on FIFA in their own different way!

My mistake. I thought that starting a sentence with "The problem with Manual controls is..." would infer that what followed would be a problem with Manual controls.

I said that - and please don't capitalise my "The". It was part way through a sentence, not at the start :SMUG:

Haha come on mate, "why so serious?" (to quote the Joker).

I played FIFA full manual on the world cup game and FIFA 11 and just moved to PES this year.

As Kob said, the control system in FIFA doesn't make use of stats as well as PES. The assisted v manual settings are more about user input control over the passing/shooting etc as opposed to introducing a larger impact of stats.

Going to manual settings doesn't boost stats, but it does seem to be able to improve accuracy of aiming, if the person on the controller is good at it. Look at Heikki's video's. I love to watch them and he's a top bloke but some of the goals he scores with average players, I don't think would be as easy on assisted settings.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but if a true "sim" concept was to be had with FIFA, then the assisted to manual settings should dictate the level of stat impact, rather than the current situation, which to me, looks like rewarding purely the ability of the person controlling the players.

Those options in Tennis Elbow sound more like the sliders we've been asking for (amount of aim inaccuracy etc) rather than actual controller input settings.
Yep, it kind of is similar to a slider system, but with just three general levels of difficulty/realism rather than loads of of little sliders to tweak.

Control settings and attribute impact are two different things, I think some people are forgetting this. Manual FIFA doesn't do a good job of the latter, which makes manual passing seem too accurate, but that's the fault of the game engine rather than the premise of manual control.
I still don't like full manual control for many reasons though, which I've explained in the past.

:LOL: It's only fucking commentary. It will all be the same lines we've heard before, just not read by Andy Gray.

Back
Top Bottom