FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

sweet
You mean the Impact Engine? It will be there, for some reason they just refuse to speak about PC details yet. Rutter and Co said that PC users don't have to worry and one guy that was at the FIFA talk (where the leak was from I guess) said that he had asked them if Impact Engine would be in PC too and they told him that it would.

Considering that the new physics engine kind of sits in the middle of everything, it has to be in the PC version too. Otherwise they would have to make the PC version completely by another team and that won't happen since Rutter is the producer on PC too this year.

The thing that worries me about the CM/Pro vision stuff is that there is not a single mention of team tactics as a whole. Nothing about possesion, longball, etc. Just whether a single player knows which individual they are up against and plays differently because of it. It's like they are missing the clue, the critism FIFA has recieved over the years is that they never managed to recreate the individual match-ups between players. They seem to be very focused on that with 11 and 12, but seem to be forgetting how the team as a whole should play.
It's all very well seeing players back-up or double up when Messi is on the ball, but if the rest of the team acts like clueless wonders in possesion (or show no grasp of tactics) it's going to be flawed.....again.

The reason I think is because EA have just conceded that custom tactics is flawed and so they first have to get the Player AI down before they can get the Team AI down.

The frequency of self injuries will be balanced so that it only happens at the appropriate times and reflects the frequency of these injuries in the real world. You will also be able to customize the injury frequency and severity in Game Settings, in case you feel it should be different. With respect to the Player Impact Engine and injuries caused by collisions, the aim is not to create more or less injuries, nor to flood the game with dramatic falls, but rather to give you an accurate result based on what happened on the field.

Yay!

The contextual side of it is meant to kick in more when you are by the touchline, so you can use the corners of the pitch more. That clip is a good example. Not long till you find out more details though...

Hopefully it will mean less crosses going in online. Forcing the player to make an intelligent move rather than just sprinting to the touchline & whipping a near perfect ball in.

There's so much more I need to hear from EA until I'm happy as a 'simulation-gamer' but it's promising at least.

The frequency of self injuries will be balanced so that it only happens at the appropriate times and reflects the frequency of these injuries in the real world. You will also be able to customize the injury frequency and severity in Game Settings, in case you feel it should be different. With respect to the Player Impact Engine and injuries caused by collisions, the aim is not to create more or less injuries, nor to flood the game with dramatic falls, but rather to give you an accurate result based on what happened on the field.
:WORSHIP::RSCARF:

In depth interview with gameplay producer (Santiago Jaramillo) on FSB:

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fsb-interview-fifa-12s-santiago-jaramillo/

That's a good read. His description of what they are trying to do with defending is exactly what I wanted to hear after FIFA 11.

I'm still on the fence as to what to think about Precision Dribbling and improvements to AI. If Precision Dribbling can really improve the pace of the game to the degree that he suggests, that would be fantastic, but you have to be a little cautious I think when a new feature has a large contextual element to it. And with the AI, I just wonder if it'll be enough of an upgrade.

I think this is a pretty excellent foundation of improvements to base FIFA 12 on but I hope EA still has a few surprises up its sleeve.

What EA are saying sounds good, but I do think they have too much work to do in one year.
That said, I thought the same about PES last year until I downloaded the demo and it impressed me.

I just hope they're doing more to the gameplay than mentioned thus far - what about things such as first touch and improving the unrealistic/scripted keepers? Plus countless other issues that need to be fixed before the game can be considered a sim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys,i think some of the new features in fifa 12 are great compared to 11 gimmicks...Impact engine looks great and i have hopes about the new defending too.I thimk though that fifa needs one conrol scheme,a hybrid of semi-manual completely re-writen from scratch in addition with better and more realistic ball physics...In previous fifa games i dont feel i control my pass,cross,shooting and i wanna feel i can apply real time curve to all my balls...remember curve in Iss with back spin too??? Not that,but something like that toned down and sim like...I think shooting,crossin etc must done from scratch because it feels scripted and not realistic

Still skate around like ghosts without any weight to them, come one GameChangers™, make them change this!

Looking at that, if they're going to have this physicality upped then the game has to be much slower & the ref has to actually call for the foul :LOL:

Looks ridiculous as it is.

I think this is a pretty excellent foundation of improvements to base FIFA 12 on but I hope EA still has a few surprises up its sleeve.
I hope that they are returning to the Fatigue and Personality+ values and dialling them up by about 100%. If they put in a setting for injuries, they could do one for stamina burn rate too.

Well after watching that video I am a lot less looking forward to the game.

Two good things I noticed tho, seems like you get more time on the ball (good) and Cesc (I think?) completely wrong foots a defender and sends him the wrong way at one point.

Physicality and tackling looks OTT in my opinion. But at least it looks like you have a bit more time on the ball now.

Seen the video, looks exactly the same as FIFA 11 apart from tackles are more fluid, but the movement looks just, well... you know what i mean :)

Every player still seems to move the same way :| the formations still look every rigid, early days though, just hope drastic changes are implemented!

:TTTH: I couldn't watch it till the end. So bad.

The impact engine is a joke, every fall is out of context. Unnatural. Plus, one more year without proper 1st touch, look at 1.01 how Diaby receives the ball!! Wrong foot? What is that? Ashley Cole dribling and passing with his right foot, constantly.

And those player models skating on ice, its a feast for the eyes!!!

Sorry, im furious. :COAT:

Somehow it doesn't look like football.
And I can't see any inertia.

Last edited:
My feeling as well. Still far too light on their feet, still nowhere near enough acceleration time or weight transition. For all the talk of revolution it still looks, in practice, a hell of a lot like any old FIFA.

Football games are about feel though - I'll judge for myself soon enough.

Last edited:
the footage is from an Alpha build of the game so still very early..worst part for me is the frantic pace..way way too fast!!1

as well as an admission that having conquered its closest rival the series has perhaps become a little complacent.

FIFA 10 conclusively crowned the series, and while FIFA 11 saw it lose a little momentum, it still emerged as king of the football sims.

It adds another layer of realism to what was already the most authentic take on the sport.

Quotes like these (from the eurogamer preview) are exactly what is wrong with football game previews, apparently PES has lost and might aswell just give up. It's over.

also..

"You see the work that the other game teams around the world are doing with their engines," he continues, without naming names (although he does admit to not enjoying Pro Evolution Soccer's new direction with last year's outing)

That can't be good? lol.

Hmmm hope it plays better than it looked there, guess I'll see tomorrow, hated at 4.10 where Petr Čech reacted with the usual abandonment of any laws of human or any other physics to recover... :((

Last edited:
My feeling as well. Still far too light on their feet, still nowhere near enough acceleration time or weight transition. For all the talk of revolution it still looks, in practice, a hell of a lot like any old FIFA.

There are clear differences in some areas, but one of the main things which was wrong and has been wrong for a long time is still fairly clearly off.

There was always going to be something - there was so much wrong with FIFA 11 and they have looked to solve some of those things with quite substantial changes. I wonder how feasible it is for EA to alter it in the next few months. I'm sure it will beone of the primary complaints gameplaywise.

It's only alpha build but my god! There is a absolute shit load of work needed to be done!

No evidence the player movement inertia is any different compared to FIFA 11.

No evidence the individuality with player movement is any different compared to FIFA 11 (everyone moves exactly the same!

No evidence the tactical layout with formations and AI behavior is any different compared to FIFA 11.

And finally the new things they have implemented look arcadey, but this isn't a big point since it's only a alpha build and this will most probably be improved.

So I'm as usual highly skeptical. Because the three above are key issues with FIFA and issues that if are to be resolved are things you work on at the beginning when you start working on FIFA (way before you get to alpha stage etc..) and base the ENTIRE game around. these aren't additions you can just switch on and put in with no fuss. Even in alpha stage you need to see these things!

FUUUCK thats all i wanted. Headshots in FIFA!!!!

Selfishly the nets looked more realistic, still need to see a ball smash them.

Remember folks its early stages

Back
Top Bottom