FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

I agree with you Jameiznho.

The idea behind the impact engine is really good, but if it's going to work properly we won't know until we all play it.

What is frustrating is the fact that fifa is missing so many basic things for a footysim game (like those you highlighted there) that I can't imagine that they will be able to implement all together in just one year of development, since this impact engine is surely taking a hard work to develop. It's simply impossible to me.

The demo might be worth downloading just to lunge into tackles at full pelt and see the results :LOL:.

Awesome video!

Roll on fifa 12!!!
Yeah, I bet manual-slow will be the ultimate in football simulation, can't wait!

/sarcasm :DOH:

I think the main positives from the IE, along with more realistic contact and outcome is the removal of clipping as well as the fact that injuries will be area specific and will actually occur. (breath not being held) Also it means not having to have animations for those outcomes made which will hopefully free up time/money for other things.

In itself it's not going to make FIFA the leap we are hoping for but it does mean a good starting point for all future incarnations...

The impact engine looks visualy good, but if the game core gameplay doesnt't change, then it will be a pile of crap with a little more crap ontop of it. Fifas gameplay so far is smth like this- run run run skillmove run run run skillmove shot.... and again and again. With this IE it will be, run run skillmove(almost got down) run run run(oops) skilmove goal.... till i see a proper gameplay video, i dont care about the game, there were personality-+?!%$#& and all other kind of shit polishing manouvers by EA and as far as i can see this IE is just another one...

EA has done yet again an incredible work for a rugby game! Congratu... Oh, wait, it's a football game! :COAT:

Previews have started to trickle in, FSB's put up several writeups

FIFA 12: Pro Player Intelligence
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-12-pro-player-intelligence/

FIFA 12: Precision Dribbling
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-12-precision-dribbling/

FIFA 12: Tactical Defending
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-12-tactical-defending/

FIFA 12: Impact Engine
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-12-impact-engine/

FIFA 12: Revolutions and Reservations
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-12-revolutions-and-reservations/

The impact engine certainly looks impressive and it saddens me to see FIFA take another potential technical leap ahead of PES in terms of how players move and interact with one another.

But everything in the video is just cosmetics. It's the layers on top of the football engine.

What I really want to see is Rutter, Patterson or any other EA goon talk about football and how FIFA will do a better job of recreating the fundamentals. How will they make the game more tactical? Improve the AI? First touch? Individuality?

Until then I'm unconvinced.

You would have got some of that if the audio had been kept in and the other videos had been included too.

Even with just these snippets, these videos are not just cosmetic. You're seeing videos of players using simple directional dribbling to beat opponents, and you're seeing them shrug off those challenges where the contact is not severe. They aren't stumbling a la PES or spinning unnecessarily or falling over at the faintest touch as in FIFAs past - they're taking the hit and still moving forward.

Similarly with the precision dribbling, you're seeing players hold off challenges and be able to turn away when the player is too committed one way. You're seeing players hold up the ball to lay-off to a team-mate, and you're seeing that the attacker much more equally balanced against the defender in these little tussles. Yes, you're also seeing some pretty heavy collisions, and you're seeing strikers go flying on impact after a shot - but how do you explain a real time collision physics engine without some collisions?

We will have to see if that is in the case when actually playing, when EA don't have any control over what we're meant to see and think, but you're never going to get the context that was given to these videos if the rest of the 90 minute presentation (including the AI section) is cut out.

Nope. No 3rd party was referenced.

Lami, it's worth noting that the Revolutions & Reservations thing is by none other than our own Rodelero.

I have already enough :YAWN: All the time technology, technology and technology :CONFUSE: Where is a football? Deep football game? Where? For 5 f.ucking years they show only how they good in technology :COAT: It's borring.....

i think the new impact engine is great and if done right ie in a very realistic way, it could be awsome. having players actually get injured in certain impacts.

for example, if a player falls on his shoulder, i dont expect that player to pull a hamstring injury but a suspected dislocation of the shoulder!

i think the new impact engine is great and if done right ie in a very realistic way, it could be awsome. having players actually get injured in certain impacts.

for example, if a player falls on his shoulder, i dont expect that player to pull a hamstring injury but a suspected dislocation of the shoulder!

They explained in the Audio (missing from that vid) that it opens up "recurring" injuries specific to when contact is made. So Fabregas may pick an early ankle injury and for the rest of the season would be susceptible to injuring it again.

Also as you say the injury context is in direct correlation to the level of contact and the place where the contact was made.

Can anybody put up the video on some file hoster (like rapidshare)? As being in germany Im not able to watch it on youtube :RANT:

There is no career mode info, other than some of the injury based stuff. The webcast was just gameplay based stuff.

The webcast was just these particular gameplay aspects too. Someone asked if shooting was better, and they said 'yes' but couldn't go into how as we were out of time. They just said that they are improving other stuff too, but that these things are the main areas they wanted to talk about at the moment.

No idea when we'll hear about CM or Clubs or anything else.

It's a pity that they didn't talk about the more general fixes but I can imagine why they didn't - it's not the exciting stuff, it's just the general improvements they attempt to make every year (with varying success). A lot of quite negative comments in here - and I can see why... but it's maybe a tad unfair to not see the improvements they are making. They won't mean much if they don't make a lot of other improvements across the board, but they are still pretty big things. Defending has been completely changed, dribbling has had a massive, and much needed alteration, there is now vision taken into account on passes in a really advanced way.

EA have done enough, for me, to keep me interested and keep me hoping. They have made BIG changes. What I want to know about now, what I'm going to keep pushing for now, is the small changes.

Yeah I know I just didn't want the moment to pass without a CM reminder! Of course the injury stuff sounds awesome, if it actually is implemented properly and fully, always the issue with EA...

As Glen said Jonney, they have worked in the human limits of torsion and impact on the human body and it's worked out by the IE from there. Over used and tired players will be more susceptible to pulls and strains and the whole use of the squad .will be more important in 12.

Injuries, strains and knocks have never been implemented well in any football game, in FIFA 11 I've played a full 15 season CM now and have barely had an injury to speak of and apart from resting tired players every now and again, I have barely no need to change anything, that's why I never have more than a 21 man squad.

In a modern set up you would always have players out or coming back from injuries and pulls, it's rare any side has a fully fit squad these days...

Last edited:
Any idea what collision tech was used for the impact engine?

I think it's similar to what their NHL game introduced last year. It is Fight Night tech that they have customized. EA share tech from all their games, just like how the Battlefield 3 guy said they're using animation tech from the EA Sports games.

Ah thanks Gab. I do remember something along them lines yes.

@Placebo,

Thanks for uploading the vid mate. I'll put it in the news thread as well.

menu1.jpg

field.jpg

tackle1.jpg

tackle2.jpg

tackle3.jpg

dribbling1.jpg

torres.jpg

PC version same as consoles confirmed :WORSHIP:

GOL: First dispel all doubts. This year we are responsible not only for the console, but PCs FIF-E. Can we conclude that the "Dozen" will be identical on all platforms?

David Rutter: Yes, as a line producer I am finally able to supervise the work on all three versions of the FIF-y and I can assure you that we work hard and do what we can to this year edition of the PC was exactly the same as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

The changes to defending and dribbling sound/look great. No more auto-tackle is huge. Better shielding - hurrah!

Hoping for some news on improved personality & tactics in the future, that would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom