FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

two important things that ea sports should improve in fifa 12 are:

1) put some fans chants in the game. for teams that they cannot put chants, they should put some generic ones. it better than quiet crowd like in fifa 11 pc;

2) finally make handball calls.

Well sliders were never a promise, to be fair. They were talked about before 11 came out, and it seemed as though we would be seeing them in 12 (particularly since the framework is probably already in 11, just not available to us and not used by EA). We don't know for certain that they aren't going in, but for some reason it looks like they've decided against it. Maybe they want to get used to the new engine first?

I don't know if you have see this but its the French (with translations) article in OPM with some more screens etc.

http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/640558.page

This is new to me:
The game stores each injury location on every player in memory. You will need to be careful playing a previously injured player once his period of unavailability ends. Because there is a risk of recurrence injury for certain players

Well sliders were never a promise, to be fair. They were talked about before 11 came out, and it seemed as though we would be seeing them in 12 (particularly since the framework is probably already in 11, just not available to us and not used by EA). We don't know for certain that they aren't going in, but for some reason it looks like they've decided against it. Maybe they want to get used to the new engine first?

No they weren't promised but they were implied to be included to such an extent it's as close to a promise as possible without them saying "yes we promise they'll be in Fifa12".

It would be nice to be able to tweak as I'm sure they will pull back the injury implication to almost nothing yet again given the bleating's that will come once the mass get to know...

Last edited:
The sprinting injuries and the impact engine injuries will no doubt be gone with the first patch once the general population has taken the game online for a vp match, or a head to head.

Well, injuries aren't really part of online generally. You can't get anything more than a minor injury online and I'm never sure whether they affect you at all online either.

These are pretty much the main gameplay features of the last two years;

360 Degree Dribbling
Custom Team Tactics
Pro Passing
Personality+
Fatigue System

None of them have added to the game in the way they should have - 360 degree movement is the only one I actually notice, the others could just as well not be there.

Whatever EA promise, it's probably going to be just another non-existant badly implemented PR stunt.

change the record rob jeez

if you don't enjoy fifa 11 then why are you posting in the fifa 12 thread??

Lol, that old pointless post comes back for another year.

You don't have to like something to discuss it, plus I'll still be giving the demo of FIFA 12 a go.

These are pretty much the main gameplay features of the last two years;

360 Degree Dribbling
Custom Team Tactics
Pro Passing
Personality+
Fatigue System

None of them have added to the game in the way they should have - 360 degree movement is the only one I actually notice, the others could just as well not be there.

Whatever EA promise, it's probably going to be just another non-existant badly implemented PR stunt.
Nail on the head, unfortunately.

If you look at the list, they are all elements that we would very much like to see; good additions in theory. I can't imagine that any of the devs would look at the end result of each of those last four features in the list and go 'yeah, that's what we envisioned it to be'. Somewhere between the initial idea and the street date, they get lost.

To me it smacks of a lack of iteration, so I can only assume it must be down to their pipelines. Too much of: "this is the spec for the feature, someone code it in a minimal amount of time, now put it on the shelf", and not enough people in qualitative roles who would be there to put their hand up and say "hang on, X feature is not as good as it should be, this is how we should make it better". It's typical of my mind's image of EA as a whole; too many organisers and schedulers, tick-off-a-task style of development, and not enough creative types or quality control.

Flawed theory there I think.

So lets basically talk about all the great things about the games but not highlight any of the bad points?

He isn't trolling (even though some of his posts in the Top Spin 4 thread were illogical). All he is attempting to do is point out possible failings in the game. I'm sure if some of the issues he has mentioned are fixed people here will be extremely happy.

I agree that criticism should be constructive but Rob is hardly acting like a twat and going 'LOLLLZ FIFA 11 IS SO SHITE. ITS FOR TEH GAYBOYZ LOOOL!' So why try and silence him?

Its a bit like telling Placebo not to post anything about the career mode because he clearly didn't like it.

Everyone here wants the best from both PES and FIFA. If they don't then I agree, they are complete wankers.

Everything sounds good with Fifa, I have no doubt they could make the game brilliant, they have alot of stuff there. But they just will never do what we want them to do, they won't go that extra step to please people like us.

If that injury/sprinting thing goes ahead to the degree we would like it to I would be VERY suprised as there will be too many people pissing and moaning about it and EA will shit themselves and change it.

It happens year after year. So much promise, they could deliver an amazing game if they wanted to...but they won't, it's the most frustrating thing.

Surely the game will be atleast better than this year's effort. That's a good start. I like EA's ideas but their execution lacks any personality.

Nail on the head, unfortunately.

If you look at the list, they are all elements that we would very much like to see; good additions in theory. I can't imagine that any of the devs would look at the end result of each of those last four features in the list and go 'yeah, that's what we envisioned it to be'. Somewhere between the initial idea and the street date, they get lost.

To me it smacks of a lack of iteration, so I can only assume it must be down to their pipelines. Too much of: "this is the spec for the feature, someone code it in a minimal amount of time, now put it on the shelf", and not enough people in qualitative roles who would be there to put their hand up and say "hang on, X feature is not as good as it should be, this is how we should make it better". It's typical of my mind's image of EA as a whole; too many organisers and schedulers, tick-off-a-task style of development, and not enough creative types or quality control.
EA is a production line.

no one here is wanting more movement off the ball from your teammates??
every year new ideias come, but nobody seems to care with this...
i don´t know if pepople here like basketball to, but if yes, its amazing how 2k sports work in the teammates AI with a variety of movement that open the game with so many possibilities...
i think thats the most important thing that could happened with fifa12, but i know that it won´t happened...
and reading the coments here it seems that this it´s not a concern from the comunity here...

Have to agree with Nerf. EA always manages to come up with innovative ideas. Its just that they can't or won't implement them properly. I have no reason to believe that this year will be any different. Of course i hope to be wrong but no amount of sales talk from EA is going to sway me before the actual game is released. Unfortunately, the gaming media is usually so craven that it takes to merely repeating the EA promotional bluster and passess this off as a 'review' of the game. WHich doesn't help keep the beggers honest.

two important things that ea sports should improve in fifa 12 are:

1) put some fans chants in the game. for teams that they cannot put chants, they should put some generic ones. it better than quiet crowd like in fifa 11 pc;

2) finally make handball calls.

It's not perfect but you can add your own teams chants. Personally I think we pay for a product and shouldn't have to do the majority of this, but at least adding the option to edit was a forward step, even if it was a buggy mess.

I guess handball calls aren't in it because it's optional whether to have handballs in the first place. Adding audio where the crowd shout for handball when the option isn't selected might be a bit rubbish, because the appeal would never be awarded.

Oh and mcruz, yeah I agree, off the ball movement is vital, and needs a big improvement, particularly with the oppsoition AI. They clearly run in set pathways.

Last edited:
I don't think the argument that you shouldn't have to put chants into a product you've paid for is unfair. The amount of space that a full set of chants for each team would cost is prohibitively large, and there's a pretty large quantity of chants out there that involve swearing or offensive remarks - there's no way EA could get those put through. The paperwork that would be required to include all the pre-and-post match soundtracks used by each club would be so expensive in terms of resources.

Custom chants are by far and away the best and most practical option.

I guess handball calls aren't in it because it's optional whether to have handballs in the first place. Adding audio where the crowd shout for handball when the option isn't selected might be a bit rubbish, because the appeal would never be awarded.

Its a flaw in the AI. Basically there was no avoidance logic for the AI (or human player) to avoid handballs. That's the reason they are optional.

You can literally hit the ball at the wall and get a penalty because there is no distinction of hand to ball and ball to hand.

Sadly, the implementation of Custom Audio turned out to be anything but practical for the end user. Another feature idea ticked off and shipped without bothering to make it any good - surprise.

I think chants are unimportant, personally. You could stick one single recognisable chant in for each club and that would be enough, so long as it was part of a varied atmosphere that reacts with clarity to match context.

I don't think the argument that you shouldn't have to put chants into a product you've paid for is unfair. The amount of space that a full set of chants for each team would cost is prohibitively large, and there's a pretty large quantity of chants out there that involve swearing or offensive remarks - there's no way EA could get those put through. The paperwork that would be required to include all the pre-and-post match soundtracks used by each club would be so expensive in terms of resources.

Custom chants are by far and away the best and most practical option.

i agree on that...

i remember fifa 06 had excellent chants. you could hear for example liverpool fans singing "you'll never walk alone".

but after that they stopped puting chants and fan cheers in the game.

at least they should put some generic ones. and i want to have that out of box, i don't want to edit anything.

Sadly, the implementation of Custom Audio turned out to be anything but practical for the end user. Another feature idea ticked off and shipped without bothering to make it any good - surprise.
absolutely. The usability once you got to large quantities of playlists was poor. Thank Christ you could actually use playlists!
I think chants are unimportant, personally. You could stick one single recognisable chant in for each club and that would be enough, so long as it was part of a varied atmosphere that reacts with clarity to match context.
That last bit's a massive caveat - my BaL with France is a form of torture with that indistinct 'Allez les Bleus' ringing out for 15 minutes!

Back
Top Bottom