FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Only two achievements around form/youth academy? Disappointing :( There should be two achievement sets, one for offline, one for online and you can choose which to apply when you boot the game up so you can still get to 1,000 if you only play online or only play offline...

Only two achievements around form/youth academy? Disappointing :( There should be two achievement sets, one for offline, one for online and you can choose which to apply when you boot the game up so you can still get to 1,000 if you only play online or only play offline...

I've been thinking the same thing for about a year now. They really should do this.

fifa2.png

Quite a mystery developing in that screen; Who is standing at Lazio's frontdoor?!

Considering how many native English speakers there are at EA it's surprising how much bad/iffy English creeps through, Eg "Zarate shown the exit door", you either say "Zarate shown the exit" or "Zarate shown the door" but never "shown the exit door". Good to see that news items won't be full of nonsense like "W.Rooney aiming to be top scorer". Really silly seeing first initial then surname all over the place, start with both then just use first name or last name in the story body...

I've been convinced for a while that the news reports, emails etc in CM are not written by a native English speaker. The sentence construction is all over the place.

We feel that we're best served with making this change with a new face so we can achieve our objectives as a club

My point was that the news items seem to be a bit rubbish. First Zapeta is being shown the door by Lazio....meaning they don't want him, and then the top news item is that Lazio have been forced to sell Zapeta, meaning they wanted to keep him. So which is it?

FIFA 12, Recorded on 08/09/11 Multiplayerit on USTREAM. Gaming Entertainment

Contains lots of info, career mode, ultimate team, etc. (some known, some unknown) with gameplay in the background.

But it's not English.

Italian right?

Anyone can say if any NEW or interesting things are said about CM mode?

I'm personally dying to hear if ANYthing, and I mean ANYTHING at all has been added/enhanced or removed from the PLAYER mode in CM mode I know a lot of people don't play that mode but I do and I love it! If only it could go into a little more depth so your team (the one you play for) actually BUYS and sells players.... (transfers like other teams)

Last year they didn't touch it really... wouldn't be surprised if this year it's the exact same as well and considering we haven't heard anything from it... probably is the same and low on their priorities which while I'm disappointed I can't complain about because I know very few people apparently play it.

My point was that the news items seem to be a bit rubbish. First Zapeta is being shown the door by Lazio....meaning they don't want him, and then the top news item is that Lazio have been forced to sell Zapeta, meaning they wanted to keep him. So which is it?

Zapeta?

It's about Zarate, he demanded an improved contract and the manager showed him the door as it wasn't going to happen so Arsenal snapped the unhappy Zarate up. Seems plausible to me.

I've been convinced for a while that the news reports, emails etc in CM are not written by a native English speaker. The sentence construction is all over the place.

Missed that one, oh dear quite a mouthful!

Well the news items are supposed to be by the media and half the time you read one newspaper they say one thing and a different paper has a completely different slant, that I can live with as long as there's variety to the stories and how they're written.

When I play against a cpu controlled Barcelona, I will try cranking up the passing speed and accuracy slider for cpu team.

When I play against a cpu controlled Bradford, I will try lowering the passing accuracy and speed slider for the cpu team.

It's a pretty simple concept to understand. Will it work? Stats and custom tactics don't, so it's not a good starting point.

For a moment there I forgot you're able to fiddle around with sliders before each match (or even during one). My only concern is how certain sliders will affect individuality. If a few slider tweaks does show a noticeable difference and at the same time maintain that player/team individuality, then it stand to reason that the underlying stats and tactics are finally working as intended and showing the variety that's needed. Of course, I dont know the mechanics behind sliders...but I'm under the impression they function as multipliers to existing player/team data. So if you crank the CPU passing accuracy slider up high when playing against Barca, I'd still like to see players like Sergio exhibiting less finesse in passing than someone like Xavi. If you're forcing their team's defense to play up high, then its midfield and attacking players should exhibit better possession play in order to prevent the defense from getting exposed to counters because that's their base tactic.

I don't care for the stupid 'Around the world' type of trick but something like the scoop turn is used very often in real life and can be quite effective yet simple so I like that.

When's the demo for xbox out?

It's in english as all the questions and anwsers are in english. The Italian reporter just translates everything afterwards...

Thank you for letting me know!

Lot of great info there and I almost missed out on that big video because I saw the guy speaking Italian.

The CM mode looks like a BEAST this year!

I love how Milan accepted an offer from Parma for Zambrotta but the move never materialized as the player didn't agree personal terms.

Seems a lot more realistic this year with many different possibilities and how things can go differently than just pressing 'yes sell' or No don't.

I also love the fact that the guy confirmed, AI clubs are a LOT more active in transfer market this year and so you will regularly receive bids for your NON-transferlisted players which might tempt you into selling your star players or ones you weren't planning to if the $$$ offered is right!

They should show Ronaldo or Ronaldinho doing that in this demo because Nani -- bless his inconsistent and often infuriating heart -- cannot do those moves, lol (sometimes the chop back).

:SHOCK:

I guess you haven't seen him play....frustrating though he is, he has a very high degree of technical and ball control skills.

It's quite possible. A friend I was in school with now works at EA in their India office. They don't develop games outright but they do get a lot of work from the US/Europe locations sent to them. The work they usually do involved testing/level building (multiplayer maps based on plans sent from the developers)/porting games to mobile phones kind, etc. , but I can see something like this being outsourced to them.

"Judgment" That just looks weird...

I agree that scouting does look loads better, the problem I have with it (and I know it's crazy petty) is that scouted players have a black silhouette for a face and it just does my head in to see 24 players in your squad with proper faces (even if it's just a 2d render not a photo) and then some terrorist suspect who's had his face blacked out for legal reasons, just find it ruins the immersion completely, for that reason alone I probably won't bother with scouting youth players.

Lol, so true though. Such a simple thing but adding a face would be a massive improvement.

And not just for fake players - there are some real players that have black silhouettes. I had one in my most recent CM - I actually looked him up to verify whether he was real or not. I ended-up getting rid of him because of it, and he was one of the better players on the squad too!

Also, I'm wondering whether when you take over a club or switch to a new club in CM if you will already have some prospects within the youth academy, or whether you will start over with any new team with an empty academy. Because it would be frustrating, for those of us who typically get bored after a few seasons at any club, to always be scouting 14-year olds and then never see a return for your efforts.

It'd be a shame if what looks to be a promising feature is only worthwhile for those who like to stick with a club for an entire CM. There are loads of us who can tire after two or three seasons with any one club. Hell, I simply get sick of having to wear the same kits from season to season!

And Placebo, you can always just use the scouting feature as a revenue generator. That's what I usually did in the past - I'd maybe keep one or two but typically would use them to fund my transfer activity.

FINALLY it looks like we have the foundation of a quality manager mode experience in FIFA.

And Placebo, you can always just use the scouting feature as a revenue generator. That's what I usually did in the past - I'd maybe keep one or two but typically would use them to fund my transfer activity.

Yeah that's my thoughts as well, usually when you bring a club up from the lower leagues you need to pad out your finances in any way possible as the finance system was so terrible that you're expected to survive in the Prem league on a League 1 budget, hope that's improved this year but won't hold my breath...

:SHOCK:

I guess you haven't seen him play....frustrating though he is, he has a very high degree of technical and ball control skills.

Yeah, I think what a lot of people miss is that there are loads of players who have the ability to accomplish even some of the more difficult skill moves in FIFA - even I can complete many of them, when the stars are aligned just right - but there is a difference between what a player has the ability to do and what he tends to do in matches.

Nani, for example, certainly has the ability to accomplish any of FIFA's skill moves, but he simply doesn't attempt them all that often in matches. A big part of that is that I'm pretty sure he's had specific instructions from Sir Alex to keep it simple, and that's why you will tend to see Nani play with more flair when he's playing for Portugal.

Also, while players may have the ability to to do something, often they lack the confidence to attempt them in match situations. Or they simply aren't quick enough mentally to recognize opportune moments. That's where you, as the human controller, fit in.

Personally I think the way skill moves are handled in FIFA is unrealistic and makes no sense - the star rankings are based more on the player's real-world tendency to attempt skill moves, rather than their actual ability as it should be. The fact, for instance, that so many highly skilled players couldn't even attempt a stop and turn move (whatever that move is when you hit forward then either left or right) in 11 is a joke. Same goes for some other simple moves that even I do like a basic chop.

It's only logical that skill moves be treated just like other aspects of the game, like shooting and passing - and we don't limit which players can attempt a long shot or a difficult through pass. What alos needs to change so that games don't become a skill-fest is the range in outcomes of using skill moves and the penalties for failure. So, for example, Nani should be able to accomplish a 360 roll more times than not, while a CB would fall flat on his face nine times out of ten. And I really do mean fall flat on his face - there needs to be proper penalties for failure.

There is absolutely nothing unrealistic about skill moves. What's unrealistic at the moment is how they are implemented.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a USA Season Ticket because the release date in Belgium is the 29th and in America it's the 27th. With the three days early, it would mean I get to play the game the 24th. Only problem is that my save game of my USA account won't transfer to my belgian one...

Decisions, decisions,... What do you guys think? Step onto the milking the consumers EA wagon or tie myself to a chair for five days... :D

Probably IP locked or something? Although you can simply use a free VPN to get the required US IP.

Personally I'm planning to do a Man City career mode first as it's a good chance to play with some of the better players in the game and experience the upper echelon of transfer sagas, before starting my proper Sheff Wednesday career mode with crap players and no money! Also want to wait until someone knocks up a list of players to be put in free transfer pool from their national teams, for example Turkey will provide a lot of players missing because of a lack of Turkish league (and possibly CZ players as well).

Back
Top Bottom