FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

@ Max,

I realise you are having a bit of a discussion with everyone but read my line after the one you bolded! Surely the whole problem with overal tactical sliders is that it will just keep everything as bland as it already is?! You even state it in your own post. So team A that plays a high line...will now HAVE TO play a deeper high line because you want team B to play a proper deep line. It's stupid and highlights what was wrong with 11. It means the teams will continue to be stretched and makes it impossible to have a Barca-Inter CL semi (the one where they parked the bus) as the Barca defenders will still be pushing themselves artificially back towards their own goal.

And as for the individual tactics....well they didn't work for 11. I did about 15 for 10 and they worked quite good, I tested them AI-AI and you could see the difference. However in 11 there really wasn't a worthwhile difference.....and the overal sliders they have now introduced highlights why. Those sliders shouldn't be anywhere near an overal menu imo, they should be created per team in CT's.

A bypass would be that we change the settings for every match per team......but really that's as poor as having to log out of MM to get a bloody night game (09).

Don't get me wrong, I think all the other sliders are a great addition and I'm really looking forward to testing them out. However the fact that the teams play so generically and they show why with those 4 sliders really grates me as a CM only player looking for some character in matches and teams.

I don't really know how else to explain it but some of you guys don't seem to understand the point of the sliders or what they actually do. The fact that the variety in play between teams is, as you say, bland, has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the sliders. None whatsoever.

Sliders are in no way intended to address teams playing so generically. They are in no way intended to add variety.

The sliders have been included simply to allow people to change some of the default gameplay mechanics. That's it.

Your complaint that you find it impossible to replicate the Barca-Inter CL semi has absolutely nothing to do with sliders.

Tactical variety among teams, I think we can all agree, isn't one of FIFA's strongest areas. Sliders, however, were not intended to address this issue and shouldn't be a part of the same discussion. They are completely 100 percent absolutely separate issues.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but about all the sliders. For example, I'd want to change the passing speed and accuracy to be maximum for some teams, but minimum for others. Same for all the sliders....I want to vary them per team. I'd sooner be able to save the settings as part of each team's attributes/tactics, rather than have to manually adjust them before each match (assuming you can adjust before each match in career mode, and you're not locked into the choices you make at the start of career mode).

I've still to see a video which shows convincing evidence of them in operation.

Again, like I said above, sliders are intended to tweak FIFA's default gameplay mechanics. It makes no sense adjusting gameplay mechanics for different teams. So, for example:

The ball should move at the same baseline speed (i.e. ball physics remain constant); player stats, context, and your controller inputs should dictate the speed of passing. If you were to change the passing speed differently for two different teams, that would mean that two players with the same exact passing stats would in effect pass quite differently. That makes no sense.

It's the same for acceleration and sprint speeds: if you adjusted the sliders individually for each team, that would mean that players with the same exact speed stats would actually move quite differently. Again, that would make no sense.

Basically, if you could individually tweak each team's settings like you suggest, you could make Swansea City a better team than Man Utd, and vice versas. Essentially you could make individual player stats irrelevant. Again, that would make no sense.

Maybe it would help some of you guys to think of the sliders just as you do the basic difficulty settings, because they too are effectively sliders. Same with controller settings. You're adjusting how the game plays, not how teams play.

Like Rod said, there's really nothing at all wrong with the concept - they are simply providing more options to play the game the way you'd like - but the implementation this year might not be the end-all-be-all solution we'd love to have. Though, as a primarily single player, I'm a bit more optimistic than Rod about how much the sliders might be able to improve the game. We'll see.

They have fifa street, why not keep that crap in that game.

Oh yeah, because most people react just like the ones in the video... depressing.

You surely didn't mean your question to be funny but I'm sorry I can't help myself from laughing

Nah, I didn't, lol. But I wasn't referring to him taking the player down, but rather him jumping through the air to kick the ball away. I've never seen or performed one of those flying clearances and I wasn't sure if something like that was possible: ball in the air moving towards the box (falling to waist-height), press X instead of A and the player jumps through the air like Liu Kang to kick the ball away.

I've only ever cleared the ball on the ground.

I think I've seen the my AI-controlled teammates auto-clear a shot like that, but never one moving the way it's moving in this game. And I still don't know why the hell they'd have such an over-the-top animation in the game. Is the impact engine really that fluid? I guess this is why people want it toned down a bit?

Last edited:

main.php

@ Max,

Agree with your point about Winston's suggestion. However how can you say a slider that determines a teams tactical positioning is a gameplay slider and not a tactics slider?! Honestly......So you think having all the teams push up more is gameplay and not tactics?! All the rest are gameplay sliders, but those for defensive positioning and the player run slider is tactics.

Again to highlight the point...........I play with Barca and want the fullbacks to be far more attacking (as using only the custom tactics isn't enough) so I put the fullback slider to max. I then play a match against some longball defensive team......and their fullbacks are constantly running forward. How is that a gameplay slider when it has a direct relation to tactics?!

It's just that now, when you adjust one of those sliders, every team will play slightly different than its default team tactics based on the slider change you made.

So, take for example two teams: Team A plays a high line, and Team B plays a deep line. Say you adjust the slider to make defensive lines play deeper. Now, Team A and Team B will both play slightly deeper than before, but you are not overriding their custom tactics - Team B will still play deeper relative to Team A.

The fact that the variety in play between teams is, as you say, bland, has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the sliders. None whatsoever.

How do you propose to create more difference between teams when you think that having them all push up more is fine?! Surely positioning is a key part of how team tactics play out!

Last edited:
I thought you could give the CPU sliders different settings to the human settings? But again, it needs to be seen as to how the sliders interact with player's stats and with tactics (stock OR custom). If it's just a global over-ride, it could break more than it fixes but if it's well integrated (or allows you to integrate it well by making minor tweaks only) then it could be handy.

EDIT: Or EA could actually spend SOME time working on the A.I. for once :P

As long as Rutter and co are in the top jobs this will continue to happen. I understand they want football to be fun, but unless they take a serious look at how the fifa series has progressed it will get worse for us. They are a huge brand now with their add boards at every ground, they sponsor Swindon town, mix with football stars and the game takes serious wonga every year. Do they give a shit about the poor farmer who will lose his house because there is oil on his land..Fuck no bulldoze it. Fifa has become a monster in sales, and on and on it will go. Goals like that need to be on that shit tekkers show Rooney hosts. UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS!

Unfortunately these type of goals happen with PES all the time too. Anyone's forgot last year's scissor kick fest?

Can't this thread just be about discussing FIFA without having to constantly compare it to PES? Nothing personal, it just seems like everything is a pissing contest on the two threads rather than just discussing the game on its own merits (or lack of).

Just because one game had some crazy shots, it shouldn't get a pass because the other game did.

If the kiddies playing assisted can do that kind of goal it doen't really bother me. Just hope its not possible on manual or the computer does it against you because that would seriously piss me off

I think that shot is obviously a glitch, there's no way they'd let you shoot like that, it's too OTT even for FIFA's set of tricks.

Poor Rob will have nothing to talk about :(
Brilliant.

It was only a matter of time before you'd bite :LOL:.

Oh and your post was more off-topic than any of mine too, so try not to be such a hypocrite, thanks :).

Where you been hiding? :)
Yeah, it does sound pretty good and better than just playing Ranked games with nothing really to aim for. Just adds that little bit of excitement to it.
First to 10 v mates too! :)

With such a big focus on making two new modes in Head to Head Seasons and Online Friendlies, we made a conscious decision to avoid major feature work in Pro Clubs and instead focus on bug fixes, tuning, and testing.
The incredible popularity of FIFA 11 and the complexity of Online Team Play at times made for a difficult year, and for FIFA 12 the efforts we’ve made to Clubs –both in the game and on the servers - should make for a much better experience all around. Stability and exploits are a key focus for us so that games are an enjoyable experience and fair for all involved. Secondly, we worked with a few members of the community on ‘little things’ like bugs and Virtual Pro accomplishments and unlocks that I think you will notice.
We hope you enjoy FIFA 12 online, whether it is climbing divisions, beating your mates, or growing your Pro online with your Club.
Amazing scenes await!

A shame about clubs

the fifa regulars, can you track scores/records in 2v2 friendly matches in Fifa12? anyone with more information regarding 2v2? thanks.

EA need to stop adding modes and make the actual GAME engaging now. There needs to be more variety from game to game.

@ Max,

Agree with your point about Winston's suggestion. However how can you say a slider that determines a teams tactical positioning is a gameplay slider and not a tactics slider?! Honestly......So you think having all the teams push up more is gameplay and not tactics?! All the rest are gameplay sliders, but those for defensive positioning and the player run slider is tactics.

Again to highlight the point...........I play with Barca and want the fullbacks to be far more attacking (as using only the custom tactics isn't enough) so I put the fullback slider to max. I then play a match against some longball defensive team......and their fullbacks are constantly running forward. How is that a gameplay slider when it has a direct relation to tactics?!

How do you propose to create more difference between teams when you think that having them all push up more is fine?! Surely positioning is a key part of how team tactics play out!

Sure, it makes perfect sense if you'd like to consider some of the sliders to be tactical but that ultimately is irrelevant for the purposes of variety among teams - again, the sliders influence each team equally, thus the differences among teams remains constant.

Theoretically, the way it would work in your example of fullback runs is that the long ball defensive team's fullbacks should play a more attacking role but still not as much as maybe a team like Barca - again, because their team tactics are different.

Let's just see how they end up working out. If you think they negatively impact team variety, then you don't have to use them. And for what it's worth, I expect several of us will be making a major push for overhauling team tactics and team management for next year.

Tik, the other thing I expect regarding the sliders is that most of us probably wouldn't put any of the sliders to max, like in your example. My guess would be that marginal adjustments to the sliders would be useful for the purposes of making the game seem more realistic but drastic adjustments would lead to a more unrealistic and arcade experience.

So I understand your concern that maxing out one slider or the other could lead to unrealistic outcomes but I don't think that more sensible adjustments will lead to the problems you fear.

If it takes maxing out the fullback run slider to make Barca play more like Barca to you, then yeah, I could imagine how that might lead to issues if that slider actually makes a big difference. But that's not really the fault of the sliders but with fundamental issues elsewhere, namely the AI and team tactics in general.

For most of us it's probably best to consider these sliders as slight tweaks to the overall experience rather than major fixes for deeper issues, especially for the more tactical sliders. In any case, I imagine that the sliders will be a source for quite a lot of discussion in the coming months.

The thread for slider settings on here could be gold. Settings for Manual, Semi and Assisted.

The thread for slider settings on here could be gold. Settings for Manual, Semi and Assisted.

IF the sliders work the way they should... In NHL, for exemple, the slider for CPU pass accuracy is totally useless since it also makes no difference on cpu passes, let´s hope in fifa it´s different.

Back
Top Bottom