Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Just saw this posted on FSB. It says that it's a team/fixture guide prepared by EA and utilizing the new EPL partnership. Perhaps there's more that I didn't read in the actual post or a joke that's going over my head, but judging from some of the language used, EA clearly didn't make this. Check the description for Manchester United and spot the remarks in question, lol.

"Joey Barton has declared himseld 'as good as any other midfielder in the country'. Well, good."

:LOL:

I assumed this was more related to training routines for player growth and such? Similar to how 09 allowed manual assigning of growth points or what not and then 10 didn't allow it (thankfully).

God, I hope it stays as 10 then...

Why the hate against the old player growth system? My only gripe was that players grew too fast, but that's just a simple tweak to solve. And you always had the auto growth option, so basically the only thing they did in 10 was to remove an option that was important to a lot of us.

Player growth was one of my favorite aspects of MM, and I know I'm not alone. In fact, one of the reasons I couldn't get into MM last year was due to removing our involvement in player development.

Why are you guys against an optional feature?

I keep saying I want a deeper MM experience while EA are removing features, and you're okay with this?

Is that confirmed as a new feature of MM?

And what's the deal with you being able to play as a player or the full team in the "Player" version of career mode, but ONLY being able to play as your player in the "Player-Manager" version unless your player is on the bench (if what he's saying is true)?

----

And why would we be getting emails saying "so-and-so has improved"? It would feel much more organic and authentic if, like before, we were just able to check the players out on the roster page and see that they've improved no? Similar to how it was done in 09 or 10 in regards to the way that the information is passed on. I know that it's kind of nitpicky but seems like a pointless addition.

To be honest I don't see a whole lot to get excited about with MM but it appears that 10's was so bad that simply fixing starting over will be looked at as a huge improvement. I'll be waiting to see just how improved transfers and injuries are.

Rom's been talking this game up quite a bit and I believe him, but while I can't wait to see what some of these improvements look like, the longer they take, the longer the pessimist in me starts to feel like we'll be getting more of the same. They should probably chill out with these f*cking doctored CG images of players and show a video.

Yeah, after reading, those were two of my questions as well. I'm really hoping Phil is just doing a crappy job of explaining things because if you can't control your whole team in Player-Manager mode, than that's a regression from last year's MM, when you could control all 11 in MM with your VP on the field. This better be wrong.

And then with the emails on player growth, I'm hoping Phil just didn't look too deeply into the growth system, since he was just simming games. If I gotta rely on stupid emails from my coaches to tell me how my players are developing, well, then things are not looking good this year, IMO of course.

Those player faces look good and i expect they'll still look good in game.

Why they can achieve that level of detail but stick them onto cartoon limbs i'll never understand. Always with sloping shoulders and unrealistic fitting kits i might add.

Iniesta's head is so out of proportion with his body that it looks like a bad photoshop job (see last post of last page)

I have a question.
Anyone knows if the Argentinian league will be in FIFA11 (i heard that they have acquired the license for the Russian league, which made me wonder if there are other new leagues).

Thanks in advance for the answer.

OMG :CONFUSE: The EA blocks my FIFA montage videos from youtube :RANT:

Weird, mine's still there:

YouTube - Fifa11 Cropped Interview FauxHD

They do have a habit of getting videos taken down if they're popular and show the game in a less than perfect light, and considering how they're so fascistly controlling news/videos this time around for some reason it's not surprising to hear they're getting blurry OTS videos taken down, sadly :(

Last edited:
Weird, mine's still there:

YouTube - Fifa11 Cropped Interview FauxHD

They do have a habit of getting videos taken down if they're popular and show the game in a less than perfect light, and considering how they're so fascistly controlling news/videos this time around for some reason it's not surprising to hear they're getting blurry OTS videos taken down, sadly :(
Hmm , i don't know... the both videos was very Popular
Views: 55,040 , Comments: 146 and Views: 42,137 Comments: 175 . Maybe that is the reason ... :/ pff

Why the hate against the old player growth system? My only gripe was that players grew too fast, but that's just a simple tweak to solve. And you always had the auto growth option, so basically the only thing they did in 10 was to remove an option that was important to a lot of us.

Player growth was one of my favorite aspects of MM, and I know I'm not alone. In fact, one of the reasons I couldn't get into MM last year was due to removing our involvement in player development.

Why are you guys against an optional feature?

I keep saying I want a deeper MM experience while EA are removing features, and you're okay with this?
I'd love it if it was implemented properly but as you say it wasn't..

EA could do far more than they have in this area and I'm beginning to think MM in 11 will be very similar to MM in 10 with possibly some parts removed and a big "MM was broken in 10 so we had to start from scratch in 11, 12 will be so much better, we are back to year one of our three year programme due to the rewrite", speech from Rutter...

It's easy to get bored without a gameplay video. :(

andy.png

Innit.

All this gameplay video fiasco and video pulling etc.

Just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

No doubt it is great when they listen to the fans and invite them to play the game etc.

But things like the phantom Gameplay video that was meant to be released at the beginning of the week. Even if they didn't say they were going to release a gameplay Vid. They would have known what people were expecting if they are indeed checking the forums etc. So why wait a few days, release another video of Rutter and then say 'we never promised a gameplay vid' (or something along those lines)?

When the rumour was out about a gameplay video, why didn't they just tweet (or whatever) that a gameplay video would not be coming out in the next couple of weeks?

It just seems like they are messing around with us.

The millions of videos with their faces and them talking all of the time. It is like they have the 'power' and have a god complex, where everybody should watch them and worship them. But then they pull a few videos here and there, ban a person here and there, just so they can have the 'power' again.

Just seems like there are too many big egos going around.

Also if you listen to them talk about the previous mistakes or bugs or bad things. They try and make it sound like it wasn't totally bad, or it was a small amount of people that didn't like it etc. To massage their egos that it wasn't what they did that was wrong, but a few people didn't like it, so because we are so great we will change it. No, you fucked up and it was shit, that is why you are changing it!

If they are listening to the fans....then release a god damn gameplay video and stop fucking about :))

Last edited:
Tbh I think the lack of gameplay videos is because there isn't anything to "see". Last year we had the 360 that let everbody analyse all the angles being used ect. I'm pretty sure non of us will actually be able to "see" personalty+ from the usual webvideo of a match being played by people who usually can't play properly anyway. They showed it off well in the green/red stickman ones imo.
The tweaks to lighting and replays or whatever they are doing won't be visible to most (unless maybe placing two videos side-by-side). And even then it will be subtle with the low res vids that get released.

I'm not that bothered about not having a gameplay vid as I'm not expecting to see much difference anyway, it should all be about how it feels this year if they live up to what they are talking about.

What I am really sceptical about though is the MM. To me it looks like they have merged 10's promised amazing new transfer system and "rumour world" into the WC menu's and made a proper scheduling system whilst removing the fluff. However even the WC game f#$ked up in my first campaign creating all kinds of numbered players and then not loading the match, so I'm worried we will have a more basic MM which still contains bugs.

They seem to be missing the point that the atmosphere for MM is only partly created in the menu's, but mostly it's created in dynamic in-game atmosphere's and tactics. Championship deciders should be a ridiculous level of cheering and booing, relegation fodder should be playing 10men defense tactics to try and draw when playing a big team. Derby matches should have the ridiculous high pressure of 10 but with added fatigue and dirtyness. Relegation battles should be dire longball match-ups with very little chances, etc, etc. The atmosphere is created by feeling like you are playing teams that are actually playing for something and not just going through the motions of a single match.

Everything about EA and MM seems to be focused on getting the emails right and sh!t like that, that I would assume, most of us skip past anyway after reading it once. It's nice having a news item saying barca have managed to get to the QF of the CL whilst I'm trying to win the EL (Liverpool) or that we get to see a RVP signature image but I want the atmosphere to be in the matches. Far more so then the menu system. Tbh just having the basics in there would be good enough for me. Just have the correct shedules with day/night and seasonal weather correct, have access to stats from multiple leagues, have a good player development system and have a decent transfer system. To hell with all the "Ibra rumoured to be signing for Citeh" nonsense. I don't really care, as long as I see realistic transfers with other teams it's enough.

Have that and then have the in-game stuff and it would be so much better. I thought the WC did a really good job of showing the different levels of teams and player quality, however they all had the same "goal" of qualifying. It would be great to play a team like Blackpool and see them not give a toss about scoring or attacking but just keeping you away from their goal.

Last edited:
a big "MM was broken in 10 so we had to start from scratch in 11, 12 will be so much better, we are back to year one of our three year programme due to the rewrite", speech from Rutter...
Yeah. I do wonder exactly where the logic is in a self-proclaimed multi-year project in which year two you announce you've "gutted" and "re-wrote" everything from year one. That's just playing Etch-a-Sketch.

Not that they shouldn't re-write 10's MM, it needed it, but it makes a mockery of the description. Especially when they claim "criticism of the work we hadn't yet got round to doing"... more like criticism of the work you screwed up in the first place, and evidently know that because you're now re-doing it.

And breathe.

Player growth... was horrible for the following reasons.
a) Because attributes meant nothing in the first place, why do I care if my reserve fullback goes from 63 crossing to 64?
b) In 09 the auto-growth was ludicrously exaggerated, so I ended up having to invent my own complicated system of fair manual growth.
c) In 10 the horrendous Form system stamped all over any sense of whether your player's base ability was changing.
d) Nobody could get far enough in 10's messy MM to experience player growth across several seasons.
e) You always have to purchase young players from elsewhere. It would mean more if you had to develop academy players that your club has produced.
f) Zero feedback on how coach upgrades affected player growth. That whole staff/stadium upgrades screen was the gameplay equivalent of an advent calendar (and not even a chocolate one). Good riddance.
g) Zero feedback on the correlation between how match time/performances relate to XP & growth. Some mystical XP gets added the player's total, which you can't see unless you visit the growth screen, and are given no sense of how you've influenced it.

It's just the usual 'let's have feature X' design spec, which ticks a box without any application of thought towards getting some decent gameplay value out of it, further hampered by a crappy UI. Story of the whole MM.

Excuse me for not reading through all the career mode news, but is there any confirmation or otherwise of it being possible to qualify for the Champions league and the Europa league (Unlicensed versions obviously)? I haven't played through Fifa 10 manager mode, so don't even know if it was a feature in that.

Yes it was in 08/09/10 and will of course be in 11.

If you choose a team in the first season that is already in the champs league, can you play in it?

(I remember you couldn't before, but I can't remember which version, I haven't played MM for yonks)

If you choose a team in the first season that is already in the champs league, can you play in it?

(I remember you couldn't before, but I can't remember which version, I haven't played MM for yonks)

This must be what I was thinking of, as I was sure there was some sort of issue.

Yeah I wasn't sure it that's what you were actually meaning to ask ;)

In 08/09/10 you couldn't, maybe they did something for 11 (seems to me a simple solution is to allow you to edit the Euro qualifying teams when you first start CM).

Community Manager Glossary
Soon - when we fucking feel like it

:). I almost wish he hadn't used that word as it's going to make the forums go nuts if they don't get the video by mid next week. Not a job I'd like to do -at-all-. Always a lose-lose situation really.

I'd love it if it was implemented properly but as you say it wasn't..

Agreed, but I guess my point is that in 09 the only major problem was the speed at which players grew, so to me, that sounds like a fairly simply tweak of the system and does not require a total removal of the option to manage player development ourselves.

Also, although my memory is a bit vague, I do not recall having any major issues with player growth in FIFA 08. They just sped it up too much for 09, so for 10, all they needed to do was return the growth speed to 08 levels and it would've been fine, imo.

Player growth... was horrible for the following reasons.
a) Because attributes meant nothing in the first place, why do I care if my reserve fullback goes from 63 crossing to 64?
b) In 09 the auto-growth was ludicrously exaggerated, so I ended up having to invent my own complicated system of fair manual growth.
c) In 10 the horrendous Form system stamped all over any sense of whether your player's base ability was changing.
d) Nobody could get far enough in 10's messy MM to experience player growth across several seasons.
e) You always have to purchase young players from elsewhere. It would mean more if you had to develop academy players that your club has produced.
f) Zero feedback on how coach upgrades affected player growth. That whole staff/stadium upgrades screen was the gameplay equivalent of an advent calendar (and not even a chocolate one). Good riddance.
g) Zero feedback on the correlation between how match time/performances relate to XP & growth. Some mystical XP gets added the player's total, which you can't see unless you visit the growth screen, and are given no sense of how you've influenced it.

It's just the usual 'let's have feature X' design spec, which ticks a box without any application of thought towards getting some decent gameplay value out of it, further hampered by a crappy UI. Story of the whole MM.

Only b) and c) are valid criticisms of the actual growth system. In 09, the speed was totally screwed, but from what I can remember, I had no issues with the speed (or the overall system) in 08. In 10, the system was at it's worst, imo, because not only did you have no clue as to what was going on, but like you said, form had a horrible impact; also, last year sucked 'cause the processes were invisible and unaccessible, thus detracting from the usual level of immersion I'd like from MM.

a) isn't a criticism of player growth but of the game itself, and hopefully personality+ will be taking care of that. c) again isn't about player growth, but MM overall. Although I would also suggest that player growth was too slow last year (likely an over-reaction to 09) so developing players was somewhat useless.

I agree with your f) and g) although I don't think they ruined the experience like the speed did in 09 and the overall uselessness of the growth system last year. Back in 08 and 09, yeah we never knew the specifics of how the system worked, but it wasn't too hard to get used to it and be able to estimate certain outcomes - I only had minor quibbles with how XP was allocated among players.

Really, f) and g) are areas where EA should have improved upon from 08 to 09, rather than messing with the speed, and then eliminating the option for manual growth in 10.

I guess my point is that in FIFA 08, player growth worked decently, and though they've screwed it up in the past two years, I see no reason why the option to manage player growth should be removed all together when all it needs is some minor tweaking. I would add, that with personality+ coming this year, managing player development could be tons of fun as real decisions would need to be made (rather than dump all XP into speed attributes!).

Last edited:
EA could do far more than they have in this area and I'm beginning to think MM in 11 will be very similar to MM in 10 with possibly some parts removed and a big "MM was broken in 10 so we had to start from scratch in 11, 12 will be so much better, we are back to year one of our three year programme due to the rewrite", speech from Rutter...

Oh and I agree with you 100 percent about the bullshit being tossed around that we're still in year 2 of the 3-year cycle, even though they're starting over in year 2.

It kinda pisses me off that they don't just admit they've rebooted the project cycle - don't know if you noticed but Rutter kept to the 2nd year of a 3-year cycle crap in the CM video released this week.

I wouldn't be surprised if their internal goal for MM/CM in 11 is "let's just give them a mode that works, then we can go from there."

Back
Top Bottom