Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

As nothing else is going on at the moment, figured it was as good as any time to make an admission: I just bought PES10 for PC, heavily modded it and gave the ML a shot. And...it's actually alright. I think having played FIFA for the past 3 iterations means that anything 'new' is going to be appreciated, but I had the impression from reviews and others on here that it was going to be an awful, unplayable mess, but to be honest there are many things that work far better than FIFA.

There are 3 things that are broken in the FIFA engine, fundamental things, not like the ML bugs, that I fear the EA team just aren't bothered to fix:

1. Stats don't control the on-field actions: Nice of EA to basically confirm this with the 'revolution' of Personality+, but still absurd imo.
2. Stamina is broken broken broken: How hard would it be, with this new Personality+ thing where stats actually affect gameplay, to introduce a stamina rating that just decreased stat values exponentially as Stamina approached 0? Seriously, how difficult would that be? And wham, no more pressure for 90 minutes, or else when your striker does disposess the centre back who had randomly stumbled he'll be so knackered that he won't manage a decent shot. So easy to fix.
3. Variety of gameplay: As an older gamer who just doesn't think this whole online thing will catch on (nor the interweb), all I want from a single player sports experience is that different teams offer different challenges. If I'm facing Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Cup one week and Inter Milan in the CL the next week I should be able to tell the difference. In FIFA you just can't.

These three issues really ruin the single player experience, and I just haven't heard anything from EA indicating the pain might be over. What's truly baffling is how much better their other sports games are in this respect.

Beach,

Point 1 has been their most trumpeted change this year. Point 3 try mentioned explicitly in one of the dev interview short videos I believe, while point 2 is one that is going to be in an upcoming vid according to Gary Paterson.

Beach,

Point 1 has been their most trumpeted change this year. Point 3 try mentioned explicitly in one of the dev interview short videos I believe, while point 2 is one that is going to be in an upcoming vid according to Gary Paterson.

Well happy days then. Proof and pudding and all that, but I guess maybe I can dare to dream.

Yeah. I'm not saying they're fixed or 100% nailed on - I had scant time with the games compared to what you really need to make such calls and it's not as if my feedback form was empty - but the point is they recognise these as areas that need work and have put work in.

Plus if Gary's interviews and posts in the past are anything to go by they should now have the facility to patch gameplay issues like passing error/stamina without running it by Sony or MS. So if they get it wrong initially (and hopefully they won't) then that won't be the end of it.

Yeah. I'm not saying they're fixed or 100% nailed on - I had scant time with the games compared to what you really need to make such calls and it's not as if my feedback form was empty - but the point is they recognise these as areas that need work and have put work in.

Plus if Gary's interviews and posts in the past are anything to go by they should now have the facility to patch gameplay issues like passing error/stamina without running it by Sony or MS. So if they get it wrong initially (and hopefully they won't) then that won't be the end of it.

They've said that the last few years and then once the game is released that's the end of it. Like it or lump it, you'll have to wait till the next game release for any improvements aside from roster updates and add-ons. Manager Mode had fundamental flaws from day one that were never addressed, gameplay exploits that people worked out within a week of it's release were never addressed e.g. chipping overly aggressive goal keepers. EA were made aware of all of the issues from day one and did nothing about it.

I don't believe this was down to the facility to patch the game or having to wait for Sony or Microsoft either. NHL 10 and Madden 10 were patched a number of times. Sure, we had to a wait a few weeks for them to go through the right channels, but they did come.

I don't believe a word of it.

EDIT: Stats wise through the roster updates maybe, but patching gameplay issues on the whole they won't do.

They've said that the last few years and then once the game is released that's the end of it. Like it or lump it, you'll have to wait till the next game release for any improvements aside from roster updates and add-ons. Manager Mode had fundamental flaws from day one that were never addressed, gameplay exploits that people worked out within a week of it's release were never addressed e.g. chipping overly aggressive goal keepers. EA were made aware of all of the issues from day one and did nothing about it.

I don't believe this was down to the facility to patch the game or having to wait for Sony or Microsoft either. NHL 10 and Madden 10 were patched a number of times. Sure, we had to a wait a few weeks for them to go through the right channels, but they did come.

I don't believe a word of it.

EDIT: Stats wise through the roster updates maybe, but patching gameplay issues on the whole they won't do.

That's what I would have said. :SMUG:

Actually they confirmed just after the peak of 10's complaints that they will be implementing an internal config type system where certain problems in future games can be adjusted via config type downloads rather than full on patches.

Well someone asked Rutter on twitter when the video would be available and he replied:

"@_MUFC_ I don't know. Sorry...were stupid busy at the moment, but I'll see what we can do..."

This is getting a bit silly, sure we're being completely impatient, but then why did they announce it'd be released last week on their podcast?

New FIFA 11 code apparently looks great, varied AI, lots of individuality, better shooting etc etc.

Quote from Adam on twitter

Need to see this game in action NOW

Where'd you see this? Was that first line a quote from Adam from WENB?

Well someone asked Rutter on twitter when the video would be available and he replied:

"@_MUFC_ I don't know. Sorry...were stupid busy at the moment, but I'll see what we can do..."

This is getting a bit silly, sure we're being completely impatient, but then why did they announce it'd be released last week on their podcast?

Exactly. It's not really the fans fault if EA announce something and then backtrack on it.

I wonder when the embargo is up on the preview code? That will be the next time I bother checking for vids.

I'd like them to release a video with examples of Personality+ and passing errors from a played game. Examples of the new AI too would be nice.

I'm still wondering if this is the reason for the hold up, are we going to get a staged managed clip...

You just know we'll get a clip full of EA "swooshes" and energetic indie rock music with dabs of a Ronaldo dribble, a Rooney driving shot and a John Terry header or tackle.

YOU JUST KNOW IT. :P

Wouldn't mind a pure gameplay vid like the PES one leaked the other day.

I think Personality+ and Pro Passing needs a full gameplay clip, that's the only way we're going to get any idea of the effect it'll have in a game.

Tevez and Rooney pressuring players in slow motion is hardly going to get me excited.

Yeah, how awesome would it be if we did get a pure gameplay clip like pes. Hats off to Konami, they are really treating the community well this year. Looks like they have finally learned their lesson. I suppose the argument is that Konami have to go that bit further coz of the last few years where EA have had success they may not feel as they need to.

It's not like we're asking for Citizen Kane. Hell, I thought we'd get to see the presentation vids they've been showing the press behind closed doors once the embargo dropped. We only got tiny snippets. In Czech.

It's not the lack of skill from EA that makes the defenders shit in positional play, it's football knowledge. Everyone thinks they understand football, but they don't really understand the small details. That's why it would be good for EA to have a good football manager as someone who could review and tell them about off ball movement.

Another example is that when you have the ball in your backline or just in your own half, the forwards never take deep runs. They just stand still until you move up the pitch and THEN the movements starts.

btw Brlliant post mate. Couldn't have said it better.

The game that sorts this out (off the ball movement) with attack AND Defense will not need fancy buzzword on their box to sell their game, they will simply be the victor and have the best footy title ever. At the moment EA's idea of defensive off the ball movement is "PRESSURE". err..

Let get some intelligent movement in Fifa please. Maybe Fifa12.

Can't even release videos without a catch! ha

Apparently there is no gameplay either.

Back
Top Bottom