Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Now PES have another leaked video and we still have fuzzy vision.

(Which still looks better than that PES video shhhhhh)

If we get a video that does not seem to show ping pong and that seems to show Personality + very favorably will that suddenly mean there is no ping pong anymore...
I'm a little worried on the whole lack of game play and the sudden shut up shop approach from EA I must say, I can't wait to get my hands on a code and see for myself...

Wow, still no vid? It was meant to be released last week and even that was well late. Konami is spanking EA this year for PR! Either EA is cooking up something special or they're hiding a stinker. I'm currently way more interested in PES than FIFA though . There's just far more info out there for it so that's no surprise. Online Master League with open market tranfer system is a huge step in the right direction.

BTW why won't EA show us what Phil Wride had to say about his new Career Mode report? What are they hiding? :lol:

Wow, still no vid? It was meant to be released last week and even that was well late. Konami is spanking EA this year for PR! Either EA is cooking up something special or they're hiding a stinker. I'm currently way more interested in PES than FIFA though . There's just far more info out there for it so that's no surprise. Online Master League with open market tranfer system is a huge step in the right direction.

BTW why won't EA show us what Phil Wride had to say about his new Career Mode report? What are they hiding? :lol:

You are such a liar. Interested in PES? :FAIL: What is so appealing about PES 2011? Just saw that gameplay vid and it is a joke. Keeper on that Danny goal was garbage. The German attack where it took three first time passes to reach the Dutch goal. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Major news drought.

At this rate, we could have 3 PES videos before we get 1 Fifa video. What a turn around...

Afer seeing the poor pes 2011 just released, i guess fifa strategy makes sense. Let's konami show some poor videos and then impress everyone with a great fifa video.

When u lead the market and have the best product you don't need to hurry.

You are such a liar. Interested in PES? :FAIL: What is so appealing about PES 2011?

This is the FIFA thread so I don't wanna drag this place into fanboy hell with my comments, but...

I just prefer the features they're focusing on in PES so far. The vids look fun too. The animation linkage may still look a little rough, jolting from one to another, but some of the moves you can pull of remind me of PES5's. Cute through balls etc. Lots of little nuances. Online Manager mode will be interesting as well. The three point tackling system is absolute quality judging from the new vid...

As I said, I'll give EA a fair shake. If they blow me away with a rewarding gameplay experience @ the Gamerbase event then I'm sure my tune will change but so far with 60 days until release we have seen practically zero gameplay and only have word of mouth to go on. I've been burned with that before so I'm only cautiously optimistic about Fifa at the mo.

Who knows though. EA might blow Konami away with one video tomorrow and we all go back to swinging off their nuts? At the moment though I'm more excited to try PES2011. I'm running on fumes with EA :CONFUSE:

Let's just accept it, EA could blow us away at any point whenever they decide to bring out their video - with the Emirates and the Gamerbase playtests 100s of community members are going to get their hands on this game. I find it highly unlikely they are running scared.

It's one thing allowing some reputable community members/community press to play a game, it's another entirely to allow 100s of near enough potentially random people to play a game without any major restrictions. I'm sure they are capable of putting out a nicely edited video - but considering the one place they really will struggle up against PES is graphics I'd suggest they are just trying to get those things up to scratch as they are what really makes an immediate impression on those trailers.

Certainly, if I was EA, I wouldn't be scared of anything in that PES trailer other than the graphics & tactical side, if the various fifa playtesters' experiences are anything to go by. However annoying it is, I'm fairly sure EA are confident, rather than worried. Put it this way - FIFA 10 gave us a trailer on July 1st, and look at how that turned out.

Last edited:
I'd imagine with the lack of Fifa news, a more fickle bunch of people seeing the consistent amount of PES news/videos might be swayed towards that game instead.

Perhaps they wouldn't even take interest in PES if EA had matched their marketing. Though, that'd be due to ignorance more than anything else.

Doubt it. I haven't even seen anyone say: if you don't put a video out now I'll buy PES yet. That will happen approximately three weeks before it actually happens :P

I have! EA forums of course...

Though I didn't mean it like that exactly :P

Anyway, as long as we get a video before I move house this Saturday, I'll be happy. (No Internet or Sky for 2 weeks, the torture!)

I'd imagine with the lack of Fifa news, a more fickle bunch of people seeing the consistent amount of PES news/videos might be swayed towards that game instead.

- Anybody can do tricks combo, even goalkeepers
- Cannot edit kits aside from badges/style
- Stadium editor is a gimmick at best
- terrible ball physics, floaty in the air, crazyball-like on the ground
- players don't seem to be subject to inertia, Hi2u 90 degrees turns at full speed
- ball looks glued to players' feet during several animations
- headers look scripted as heck
- 100% passing accuracy with regular passing button (or D-pad, or whatever), meaning that no one's gonna give a shit about the "manual" modifier and you can't really rule out those who're going to abuse the system either since there's no distinction between "assisted" and "manual" to begin with
- game looks good til it moves, then it's like a trip down the robotronic uncannyvalley
- it still plays like old PES/WE, player2player passing instead of playing the ball into space
- very limited amount of customizable "fake" teams
- pumpkin heads and gladiator helmets

Being these Konami news it's pretty safe to assume that no news = good news in this particular instance.

Last edited:
- 100% passing accuracy with regular passing button (or D-pad, or whatever), meaning that no one's gonna give a shit about the "manual" modifier and you can't really rule out those who're going to abuse the system either since there's no distinction between "assisted" and "manual" to begin with

Was this officially confirmed/mentioned by a hands-on? Or was it _anderson making a suggestion without considering what that actually means?

I certainly agree that the vid shown (apparently of a more or less finished game) offers plenty of doubts as well as positives. Overall I'm dead keen to play it and think it looks much more like something that plays like a football game than the showers of shite we've seen recently but you can quite plainly see that the ball parabola for crosses/long passes is waaaay too high and the collision detection for headers and ball trapping is pretty dicky. You can see these on the Klose (off the top of my head, but just above his) header and run onto the high ball at 4:10. The movement of the ball when dribbling is bizarre too - a lot of that change in pace/stopping dead, emphasizing that the ball is locked to the man.

Of course, we'd be talking about the FIFA vid, if there was such a thing. I wonder if they've pulled the plug on those vids and have decided the balance of the passing error needed more work.

Last edited:
To be fair, it's probably a more useful thing to do with F1. If you've driven all the tracks you know roughly how F1 works for all the drivers - in football that's really not the case. It might be better to get a manager or analyst to take a longer look at it than a player really.

I think you can probably learn quite a lot about how FIFA ought to be by watching a match and playing a bit yourself - whereas with F1 it's really pretty difficult to know what it's like. The onboard laps make me want to shit myself on some tracks :P

Thing is the starts PES and FIFA use to promote the game just play it and are paid to say nice things, they don't care how realistic it is, just a bit of fun tbh. Apparently players still prefer PES to fifa still (dutch national team 'Elia, babel etc..).

Anthony Davidson is actually a sim gamer and was part of the team developing the game from day 1.
Thing is the knowledge someone who has experienced the sport giving to a team when designing the game through a sustained amount of time i do think is overlooked in terms of football. Yes definitely a manager would be useful in giving his insights to how team chemistry works, morale etc..

I'm Surprised no football game has really used players and managers as part of the team.

A 'fixed' FIFA 10 would be one of the best games ever made ;) I might even pay for it.

Depends how 'fixed' you judge it to be. If you mean fixed as in attributes make an effect, skill to win, no cheap goals hardly. Yes but i meant fixed as in, less bugs and manager mode actually works :LOL: I can see the defensive AI getting better anytime soon :LOL:

SI had Ray Houghton advise them a fair bit, I remember. Back when they had training routines rather than sliders for general areas of their game.

Many of EA's main developers have had experience in youth academies and in the reserves for football clubs. I think Aaron played in a WC qualifier too? Nothing like a full football career though.

This is the FIFA thread so I don't wanna drag this place into fanboy hell with my comments, but...

I just prefer the features they're focusing on in PES so far. The vids look fun too. The animation linkage may still look a little rough, jolting from one to another, but some of the moves you can pull of remind me of PES5's. Cute through balls etc. Lots of little nuances. Online Manager mode will be interesting as well. The three point tackling system is absolute quality judging from the new vid...

I watched that Germany/Netherlands vid on WENB and I don't know if they do something weird with the cutscenes or what but I'm liking what they've done with the build of the players and the animations a bit --I repeat, a bit-- more than what I've seen in FIFA 10. EA may have improved massively upon the game in that regard since then (don't remember enough about my time with the WC demo) and I don't know if it's just how "different" it looked or what, but I liked what I saw from PES in that video (which happened to be the first one that I've seen so far).

The players still look like children with their shirts tucked in far to tightly but on the pitch PES still looks more like a football game. The camera angle on the penalty. Guys leaning forward awaiting the rebound. It's like PES graphics are sometimes too last-gen and FIFA graphics are just way too cartoony at times.

Still not purchasing the game though but Online Master League sounds awesome.

I very much doubt it.

They could do with someone who actually REALLY understands football to be involved at the production stage to direct them on how the game should play. Having a mixture of casual football fans and probably even some developers who aren't even into football is asking for trouble IMO.

I think (it's actually obvious) that EA understands footaball, even Konami does.

Understanding football and deveoping a football game are 2 differnt things. Your ability (EA), or lack of skill(Konami) to develop a good football game does not equal misunderstanding of football.

It's not the lack of skill from EA that makes the defenders shit in positional play, it's football knowledge. Everyone thinks they understand football, but they don't really understand the small details. That's why it would be good for EA to have a good football manager as someone who could review and tell them about off ball movement.

Another example is that when you have the ball in your backline or just in your own half, the forwards never take deep runs. They just stand still until you move up the pitch and THEN the movements starts.

Anthony Davidson is actually a sim gamer and was part of the team developing the game from day 1.
As Brawn GP's test driver he would have worked with that team on their simulators too, which probably helped.

I watched a PES video last night. I haven't played it since 2008 and I didn't see anything there to tempt me back. One thing that puzzles me... if it is supposed to play a more tactical game, why do all 22 players stay within the width of the penalty areas? It's as if they're scared of the sidelines.

I like the idea of a team's gameplan changing based on scoreline/time, but that trick-linking thing seems nonsense. I'm getting off-topic now.

As Brawn GP's test driver he would have worked with that team on their simulators too, which probably helped.

I watched a PES video last night. I haven't played it since 2008 and I didn't see anything there to tempt me back. One thing that puzzles me... if it is supposed to play a more tactical game, why do all 22 players stay within the width of the penalty areas? It's as if they're scared of the sidelines.

I like the idea of a team's gameplan changing based on scoreline/time, but that trick-linking thing seems nonsense. I'm getting off-topic now.

It's About PES 2011 so it's off topic:
Well from what i've seen from PES 2010 is the deepest football game in terms of tactics, the balance of the game is very good it's something which makes i playable. There is NO super tactic, you just try a find a way to play which suits your teams attributes and is effective vs the opponent :)

The defensive positioning AI and in general how layers keep in their formation due to how you set it up is actually along with the tactics the best in any game. It's PES 2010 biggest strong point, we all know it was pretty average and had poor animations but tactically it was really enjoyable :)

The video we saw last night is played on the amateur level and i said before there are animations that clearly don't look finished yet but what i really liking is the game looks very free compared to almost any game i've seen, , dunno it's looks more free that fifa tbh and the depth in how the animations are organized.
It's like they have totally different packages of animations for players depending on their style. I like the way Demichelis looked VERY uncomfortable on the ball, (it didn't look robotic either, just like a typical centre back) where as ozil, and messi who has his own animations moved differently and with a great deal more close control.

So PES 2011 in a tactical sense should be fantastic if going from it's predecessor and the upgrades to the system.

FIFA is less than 7 weeks away and we have seen very, little, almost leaves people to think it's the same game as last year with minor improvements. Can't see EA benefiting from this.

It's not the lack of skill from EA that makes the defenders shit in positional play, it's football knowledge. Everyone thinks they understand football, but they don't really understand the small details. That's why it would be good for EA to have a good football manager as someone who could review and tell them about off ball movement.

Another example is that when you have the ball in your backline or just in your own half, the forwards never take deep runs. They just stand still until you move up the pitch and THEN the movements starts.

Yeah, I see your point. :))

Back
Top Bottom