Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

The stamina/fatigue is the key to getting it all to fit in to place really - though I'd still like a LITTLE more delay when it comes to you turning or using a skill if the opponent is holding pressure.

They have a long way to go to convince me, especially in the stamina department. Certainly it's a load of bull in that video - so it's really a case of wait&see.

Seriously, watch this video and tell me that it's rife with the same problems. Every pass is so much slower; the defensive positioning and midfield involvement is solid. The inaccuracy stemming from dodgy body direction and the significance of under/overhit passes is visible in the varying speed of the ball.

YouTube - Fifa11 Cropped Interview FauxHD

The issues here is Romi is that even in that 'better' video which you showed us there which the game looks pretty good, the formations and player positioning is still appalling.

Every time the guy playing seemingly passed to the striker what pissed me off was that there was no sign of the defensive midfielder s or any of the midfield rushing back and at least getting behind the ball :( So it leaves the conclusion unfortunately the formations, tactics and player off the ball positioning with be shit again this year :( .

As for the other czech video. It's the same game but passing is a tad bit harder it seems :CONFUSE:

I been playing FIFA 08 recently and what baffles me when it comes to the midfield is just how vital it was in that game not just for the player but for the CPU. In my Atletico Manager mode i played inter in the ECC or champions league. Guess who was the man of the match in both ties and also pissed me off?

Cambiasso! Every fucking time i tried to get some passing going or was patiently probing up the field he kept fucking tackling me with ease! Vieria was annoying as well!

As for the pro passing etc... i think i could see some instances where this is making a difference. The players were thinking about their passes a lot more, were very cautious in their approach play.

FIFA 11 still could be a pretty good game, but this video puts even more doubts it's a sim with depth! If the game is to be a brilliant football sim. IMO it actually should go back to FIFA 08 and rebuild the game from there!

Lets not drag this into a console v pc war guys. Thanks.

EDIT: Damn by the time I posted this 10 other posts were made.

Last edited:
Klash, there isn't a defensive mid in the older vid - it's 4-4-2. I think it's Spurs? You can see a mid tracking back at 1:02 or so, becoming pretty much the last man. Not saying it's perfect - but it's certainly not shit/appalling. One of the things I came out of Guildford and Canada specifically thinking was that the tactical side of the game would be much more significant.

They don't need to build from FIFA 08. The game I played was practically there. The vast majority of the game in Guildford was played in the middle third, working space and trying to stay in charge. FIFA 08 wasn't won by the midfield because of good design; far from it. You could sprint towards a player 20 yards away with a centre back and sprint and slide to hit them, and there'd be nothing they could do because they couldn't turn. FIFA 08 was balance correctly but it was balanced because several aspects of it were shit.

Last edited:
In preparation to the custom audio etc wouldn't it be a good idea if a thread was started with a list of what clubs use what songs/chants so those who wish can start building a collection on their consoles. For example; Arsenal take to the field to Elvis, Wonder Of You

Klash, there isn't a defensive mid in the older vid - it's 4-4-2. I think it's Spurs? You can see a mid tracking back at 1:02 or so, becoming pretty much the last man. Not saying it's perfect - but it's certainly not shit/appalling. One of the things I came out of Guildford and Canada specifically thinking was that the tactical side of the game would be much more significant.

Ohh ok, that clears it up a tiny bit, since it's 4-4-2 :) It's still not really good enough though :)

They don't need to build from FIFA 08. The game I played was practically there. The vast majority of the game in Guildford was played in the middle third, working space and trying to stay in charge.

That's the issue you telling us one thing, we seeing another thing entirely. I know your not lying at all. I respect your views :) I just think it's EA juggling between purists and button bashes.

It could be an issue is maybe that the people they choose (you, cooley etc..) play the game is a very purist way. The issue is your playing realistically for the sake of it, rather than playing that way because it's the most effective method of playing. It's almost like the game is realistic if you want it to be and if you play it a certain way.

I actually think they need to invite some abusers along, let the test the game out extensively along with you and the others playing in a sensible way and then make an observations to where the game is going wrong in terms of it being a sim.

I really hope this ain't the case, infact i suspect more that the casuals who tested the same code you did moaned about it being too slow. didn't take notice of the realistic aspect and just wanted FIFA 10 with harder passing :RANT::RANT::RANT:

FIFA 08 wasn't won by the midfield because of good design; far from it. You could sprint towards a player 20 yards away with a centre back and sprint and slide to hit them, and there'd be nothing they could do because they couldn't turn. FIFA 08 was balance correctly but it was balanced because several aspects of it were shit.

It's 50/50 imo. Their aim was to make the midfield count! they succeeded thanks to passing even on assisted being hard because it was contextual with how players bodies which moved. This is something which has seemingly been totally lost in 09 and 10 and i couldn't really see it either vid ;(

FIFA also imo STILL the best ball physics in any football game, 1000 times better than the floaty shit balls in FIFA 10. Some of the goals i scored the other day in my manager mode, they way the ball moved was JUST exactly like a real ball. With Forlan i scored a powerful shot from 22 yards at the keepers near post. Very similar to this goal. (and it wasn't a keeper bug:BOP:)
YouTube - Eduardo vs Sheffield United

You cant do that in the newer versions unless inside the box at around 15 yards out!

Also one of my favorite goals from Simao i scored on 08, pretty much a carbon copy of this goal:
YouTube - Cesc FÃ*bregas amazing goal against AC Milan

No PES game or FIFA game have i seen goals like that, low awkward shots which bounce just infront of the keeper :WORSHIP:

BUT the game's limits! which was the terrible responsiveness, fluid but massively limited amount of animations. (there clearly wasn't enough animations for keepers and certain circumstances) and a very, very basic jostling system now make the game look pretty shit but at the time it was OK since it was new ground.

Last edited:
Yeah, I want a return to Fifa 08 too. That game was an absolute joy to play at times. Despite the shitty response times.

When you change the kicker of a free kick/corner, does the everything reset like it does in FIFA 10?

In preparation to the custom audio etc wouldn't it be a good idea if a thread was started with a list of what clubs use what songs/chants so those who wish can start building a collection on their consoles. For example; Arsenal take to the field to Elvis, Wonder Of You

I'm happy to help with the MP3 collation ;)

The lighting in that Iniesta pic is awesome. Somehow I doubt it will be the same in game though looking at these vids.....pity!

Replay camera angles are the same old shit :BRICK:

damn, the pace in that brief bit of footage is so much better than the video from earlier.

Last edited:
The lighting in that Iniesta pic is awesome. Somehow I doubt it will be the same in game though looking at these vids.....pity!

Replay camera angles are the same old shit :BRICK:

It's truly disheartening when you see the pressing and the replay angles as they are in that vid.

btw this is apparently another vid:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=14381

(I can't view it though :FAIL:).

EA's marketing has flopped HARD throughout all this. We've basically gotten scraps and had to make assumptions from those scraps which has led to a less than favourable outlook from us (atm). Their true fans..

Hopefully all this is alleviated within the one vid they will show us next week (been delayed). Until then, they can't blame us for panicking at poor early footage can they? :CONFUSE:

There's very little footage, (0:35 - 0:55 & 5:07 - 5:15). But this seems much more like the gametrailers gameplay.

I concur, totally. What the hell IS going on in the first video which came out today? It's literally like watching a different game.

Little concerned that gameplay seems to have the issues that FIFA 10 had, however it would be harsh to judge EA on these snippets of gameplay. I think it is better to wait for the demo and see what that is like.

It's truly disheartening when you see the pressing and the replay angles as they are in that vid.

btw this is apparently another vid:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=14381

(I can't view it though :FAIL:).

EA's marketing has flopped HARD throughout all this. We've basically gotten scraps and had to make assumptions from those scraps which has led to a less than favourable outlook from us (atm). Their true fans..

Hopefully all this is alleviated within the one vid they will show us next week (been delayed). Until then, they can't blame us for panicking at poor early footage can they? :CONFUSE:

The gamespeed in this is much more like it. There's even a pretty inaccurate pass in that 30 seconds or so! I really do think the Czech players are on Fast with the pro passing set to minimal. If so then thank Christ they've ditched the Pro Passing reducer. The Fast setting was horrific - I think we played 20 game minutes of it before quitting out and going back to Normal. Did you also notice that the Dutch were winning that game 7-0? What better light to show the game in than by fucking up the settings and putting two noobs against two pingpong exploiters. :ROLL:

I have to agree that the marketing has been shoddy. So many delayed official news releases, ambiguous info that fuels panicked speculation, missing their own embargoes(!!)...

If you don't release proper gameplay footage then this happens - some eejits dick about with the settings, the work experience guy gets hold of a camera with digital zoom and together they put out exclusive early footage designed to make a game look as much like the last title as possible, smearing shit in the eyelids of all who look upon it.

Relax guys, I bet you these morons playing the game in the footage we've seen could make a masterpiece like PES5/WE9LE look shit.

are you kidding me? pc graphics have always "blown" away console graphics. get off your console horse:FAIL:

I'm not on any console horse and I really wish you wouldn't direct those silly "fail" icons at me.

My point was that historically FIFA on the PC has been shafted and while games built for PCs and consoles ALWAYS look better on the PC than a console (provided you have a top-notch graphics card), FIFA has, in my opinion, never looked better on the PC than it has on next-gen consoles.

How difficult would it be to use the next-gen engine for the PC? Who knows, but it's taken this long for them to apparently do it and so I wouldn't expect it to look nearly identical to the console version in one year.

IMO it actually should go back to FIFA 08 and rebuild the game from there!

I was called crazy on the EA boards for making such a suggestion a while back.

As for the "slower" video. Are we seeing more defender catch up around the 30 second mark (I think that's about where it was)? The midfielder seems to fake the defender out and take off down the field. Defender is flat-footed, but changes direction incredibly quickly and eventually catches up with the guy. Perhaps the discrepancy in speed really is that great but it doesn't account for the ease with which he was able to change direction.

Incidentally I was going to go ahead and post Gary's list of reasons why pressuring will be less effective this year. I did ask! Technically I wasn't told not to.

Did Gary omit that part about the stamina/fatigue or was it redacted by you? You gotta give that info up Rom if it was you, lol.

Last edited:
I took it away. Looking at it, I've no idea why though - it's not even remotely a surprise! Sorry if I made it seem more of a megaton.

Stamina will have a greater impact on fatigue, which will have a greater effect on speed/acceleration "among other things". Vid should hopefully come soon.

Relax guys, I bet you these morons playing the game in the footage we've seen could make a masterpiece like PES5/WE9LE look shit.

Seven.

Nil.

Couldn't make it up.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that. Pretty hilarious the 7-0 thing. Saying that, aren't they playing as Brno against the Dutch national team?

As for the previously omitted information... interesting. What I hope is that it's gradual, as in, if your white bar (ie, the bigger of the two and slower to drop one) is at half way, it will effect less than if the white bar is at 25%. Primarily with this it's about EA's courage to make people shocked at how different it is.

Well, one of the morons is the best czech player. But they probably should have invited you as the best player in the world. You would make shit like pes2010 look like a masterpiece, no doubt about it.

btw the match ended 10-0, the guy who lost is an "amateur", who doesnt play fifa very often and he was holding the sprint button and making sliding tackles all the time, there were 3 penalties against him.

Back
Top Bottom