Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

I'm not worried about the defensive line in that picture at all

• It's 2v2
  • Did you see how much they were pressing?
  • It's 2v2

That's really worrying. I know that someone will come in with a "guys...TRUST ME, it's massively different from FIFA 10 in the real build." All I can say to that is "I hope so..."

I was ready to take a wait-and-see approach instead of jumping on the "EA is all lies, FIFA 11 will be more of the same" hate train, but this video doesn't engender much confidence.

EDIT: And if that's PC footage (it's not), they must be playing on some of the most powerful PCs on the planet. And there's no way that the PC version got that big a graphical upgrade. That's definitely the console version.

Last edited:
As I said in the PC thread, just noticed all the passes have the pro passing power bar line, to show if you've overhit/underhit the pass.

The colours on the Barca kit are slight wrong. the yellow should be lighter (it's lightning yellow) and the shades of red and blue are slightly different. But I'm a kitmaker and i notice far too many details (Sorry, it's the perfectionist coming out :COOL:) But it doesn't matter looks solid enough :)

iniestashirt.png

Looks spot-on to me, unlike last year.

I must say i'm a little concerned watching the video posted last page.

I had an issue with Fifa 10 in that i thought players flailed about in a weird manner. Nothing game breaking but something that i wanted them to work on so it felt a little tighter.

The speed still looks relentless too in those snippets, constant running and quick 180 degree turns. I'm sure Romagnoli said that the speed had been toned down.

Somebody put my mind to ease. I realise this is a pre build but is it something they've suggested they're working on at all?

EDIT: I still really hope they add some other way of knowing how good a team is. Stars give a really limited representation and the DEF/MID/ATT ratings are pretty much pointless.

Last edited:
That is console; you can see the powerbar uses the little marker.

It's too fast, without a doubt. The builds I played were slower than that; it looks a lot like the game we played on Fast actually.

I do think the fast camera cutaways and zooms etc, besides being fucking dated (it's not the 90's anymore - I was half expecting an off-kilter grainy black and white shot to come in any minute), exaggerate the speed. But the fact that it's a bunch of idiots playing 2v2, sprinting and pressuring everywhere, doesn't help things at all.

The example Dusse talks about obviously stems from a counter, hence the Dutch midfield being on the halfway line. But the right centre back has the left attacker's run nailed until the idiot with the blue marker takes control and sprints blindly at the ball. Similarly the left centreback is stepped up, leaving both attackers offside.

This is what happens when you leave video creation to a bunch of yoof TV imbeciles rather than release your own gameplay trailers showing what you've been working on.

After 2 hours edit , i now export the 3 min long gameplay montage
Before - Now

The export is to slow because there to much video filters + upload , after half hour maybe the video will be done !

This is what happens when you leave video creation to a bunch of yoof TV imbeciles rather than release your own gameplay trailers showing what you've been working on.

I sincerely hope that it isn't easily possible to play the way that they're playing.

Hi i´m new here.

I think we can see which version is paying atention to the scoreboard:

PC version:
fifa11pc.jpg

X360/PS3 version:

fifa11console-1.jpg

I accept some of these points. It's obvious that idiots are controlling the players.

But I expected a big difference in passing and as long as I see, they've only tweaked some values and that's it. Most of the passes are straight to the target, even trying a 180º pass will outcome a solid pass. Sure, it doesn't reach the target, but ALMOST, and only because an opponent is in the trajectory. A pass like that should go wild who knows where.

The other important point is that positioning is crap again. It's the same than in fifa 10 in all aspects, with some tweaks. There can be thousands of details and improvements, I know, and great animations and improved ball physics... But here the IMPORTANT bits to me:

- Passing is not that different. I expected something much more "free". Let's see how it plays in manual settings.
- Deffensive AI is still crap, an absolute piece of junk. I'm not talking only about the "lines", but one of the big flaws of the game is how attackers ALWAYS receive the ball alone, and defenders mark some meters away, letting the striker control and turn. There's no anticipation of any sort. There's no fight for position. It happens everywhere everytime. You can always pass to the striker and the defender will be some meters away waiting like an idiot. It makes the game a simple case of taking profit of the usual passing lanes to the striker. VERY disappointed with that, really. It makes the game absurdly plain and totally kills the midfield. There's no need to build up play when you can simply pass to the striker knowing he will receive the ball uncontested.
- Still to see what happens with physicality, but the only instances of it in the video are not that promising either.
- Trapping is still too effective in any situation to my liking.

It may sound too radical, I know, but those are my first thoughts. I really hope the promised gameplay feeds change my oppinion about this, but I really start to see a very dangerous pattern in the franchise having the game stagnated in a "run quickly and fight for the ball" instead of a "think to win" situation.

There are several types of scoreboards...so...

Bem-vindo :)

That´s true but if you notice, the gameplay style changes as the scoreboard changes. First it is fifa 10 gameplay and after the scoreboard changes i think it´s fifa 11 gameplay.

Obrigado e BTW o meu inglês é péssimo....lol

Pfft. Gawd. Pretty much have nothing to say.

Defensive AI and pressuring still look like -major- problems. Not really surprising is it? EA's ability to make big changes to big problems seems still limited. If EA are confident in their game just do the right thing. 8 minute match, no stupid cuts, not off-cam, and let us see whether their game is any good - because that was bloody awful to watch.

Last edited:
I accept some of these points. It's obvious that idiots are controlling the players.

But I expected a big difference in passing and as long as I see, they've only tweaked some values and that's it. Most of the passes are straight to the target, even trying a 180º pass will outcome a solid pass. Sure, it doesn't reach the target, but ALMOST, and only because an opponent is in the trajectory. A pass like that should go wild who knows where.

The other important point is that positioning is crap again. It's the same than in fifa 10 in all aspects, with some tweaks. There can be thousands of details and improvements, I know, and great animations and improved ball physics... But here the IMPORTANT bits to me:

- Passing is not that different. I expected something much more "free". Let's see how it plays in manual settings.
- Deffensive AI is still crap, an absolute piece of junk. I'm not talking only about the "lines", but one of the big flaws of the game is how attackers ALWAYS receive the ball alone, and defenders mark some meters away, letting the striker control and turn. There's no anticipation of any sort. There's no fight for position. It happens everywhere everytime. You can always pass to the striker and the defender will be some meters away waiting like an idiot. It makes the game a simple case of taking profit of the usual passing lanes to the striker. VERY disappointed with that, really. It makes the game absurdly plain and totally kills the midfield. There's no need to build up play when you can simply pass to the striker knowing he will receive the ball uncontested.
- Still to see what happens with physicality, but the only instances of it in the video are not that promising either.

It may sound too radical, I know, but those are my first thoughts. I really hope the promised gameplay feeds change my oppinion about this, but I really start to see a very dangerous pattern in the franchise having the game stagnated in a "run quickly and fight for the ball" instead of a "think to win" situation.

The speed of the game is what is letting the ball get to the strikers unhindered as much as the positioning. The slower the ball moves, the more time defenders have to react even if they're as far away as they are in the vid. The overall player speed seems higher too, which means that the defender-striker spacing coefficient will have been increased slightly to avoid the striker reacting quicker to pass the defender before the human controlling the defender can react. Of course it means the striker can instead receive the ball in space and not have to beat the defender.

Honestly, this looks very different to what we played. The game we played was full of physical interaction and organised defending, with passes that moved so much slower and players who couldn't just sprint everywhere carefree.

There's definitely something that doesn't add up in all of this. If what they were playing was all we had seen then I'd know it was that EA had stitched their 'most valued' community members up for the second year running. But this isn't all we've seen.

Seriously, watch this video and tell me that it's rife with the same problems. Every pass is so much slower; the defensive positioning and midfield involvement is solid. The inaccuracy stemming from dodgy body direction and the significance of under/overhit passes is visible in the varying speed of the ball.

YouTube - Fifa11 Cropped Interview FauxHD

How can that, which sits perfectly with what I was expecting, and this

YouTube - FIFA 11 - Gameplay & Reportage HD (New)

, be the same game?

They're poles apart.

Night.

And.

Day.

Something between these two videos has changed drastically. The only thing I can think of is that the newer vid has that pro passing reducer option (the one that Phil confirmed this morning is no longer present) set to ON, which means the game moves much faster and is therefore much more wide open and sprinty.

Last edited:
EDIT: And if that's PC footage (it's not), they must be playing on some of the most powerful PCs on the planet. And there's no way that the PC version got that big a graphical upgrade. That's definitely the console version.

are you kidding me? pc graphics have always "blown" away console graphics. get off your console horse:FAIL:

Same opinion here.

I don't want another game in wich you just need to pass quickly forward or in diagonals to create good chance, with know midfield play.

The lack of contact from defenders behind the attacking players before they (attckers) recieve the ball, as well as the ease of linking those unrealistic passes in any situation just kill the game.

I also hate (as you do) that quick and perfect trapping and turn before shooting, as well as the inertia of the defenders that don't anticipate or do something to avoid it, not telling you that bug in wich defenders stop for a secound and you can't control them fast enough.

Incidentally I was going to go ahead and post Gary's list of reasons why pressuring will be less effective this year. I did ask! Technically I wasn't told not to.

EA_GaryPaterson said:
here are the reasons why I feel sprint press/secondary press is less of an issue in 11:

a. Tackling
- Tackle animations are slower than in FIFA10, that is to say that they are longer to ball contact (less responsive if you like).
- Tackle animations are shorter than in FIFA10, that is to say that the players have less reach with their tackles (attribute based).
- There are more errors in judgement on when to launch a tackle than in FIFA10 (when the dribbler has started a turn, a players ability to predict the direction of the turn - attribute based)
- Tackle animations have better momentum preservation than in 10, therefore defenders cannot break momentum in order to get the ball from you

b. Pressing
- Has more delay in its target update after the ball changes direction (attribute based) so you will not be able to hone in on the ball quite so powerfully.
- Has delay to read the ball trajectory during a pass (attribute based) so you should be under less pressure when you recieve the ball.

c. Locomotion
- Is slightly slower accelerating from stand than it was in 10. This is because we are algorithmically controlling the players speed (therefore his is sticking to his definded acceleration curve) whereas last year this was an animation. This means that he player will take slightly longer to get to you.
- Does not allow the player to acclerate and turn (once above jog speed), this was allowed in FIFA10. Again, this means that he player will take slightly longer to get to you.

d. Dribbling
- Has better shielding than in FIFA10. For example, the player will auto shield from a defender if you turn away from him.
- Jostling is less clear cut than in 10 therefore giving more time to escape or pass the ball.

e. Stamina/Fatigue [don't think I can post this bit yet]

Back
Top Bottom