Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Knocked this up, it's a little unfair on Fifa as that's the only pic that isn't of a decent resolution. (PES is PES2010 btw)

Constructive criticisms, isn't meant to be a competition :P

xavia.jpg
(Quoted the pic to it would come up on this page)

The technology used in PES may not be as complex as that in FIFA, but the player likenesses are still far superior in my opinion...

The skin textures and lighting also look much better in PES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something which hasan't been mentoned much which does worry me is tactics?

They have been game killing for 2 years now with the 100% pressure rubbish. Will there be more depth in terms of tactics and none of this 'golden' tactic shit where pressure and fast passing is far more effective than any other tactic?

Well, Pro Passing and Personality+ should cut down on the fast passing you mention, but i'd put my money on pressuring still being overly effective, that's how EA roll :P.

I think the same goes for all of FIFA graphics. FIFA in almost every area uses cleverer, better technology and just isn't making the most out of it. The kits on FIFA move, for instance, they just move horribly, same with the hair - they have cloth physics going on and they don't use it well enough to make it a graphical showcase. The faces have finally got there - though the eyes still don't look right. Photograph based technology like the form PES uses just isn't up to the task of producing animatable, 3D faces which look convincing. I think that goes for a lot of the things with PES and FIFA though in many ways - gameplay too. FIFA has had for a long time the better technology but PES has beenpushing, in some areas similar/better results out of worse technology. Getting really basic things wrong in FIFA, like the pitch textures, even though they have the 3d grass, they look awful because of simply poor color - and those simple things graphically FIFA is getting wrong is really the only thing making their graphics look so bad.

I think FIFA could really be benifitted by looking into some better ambient lighting too - it's something PES got right with PES2010.

Yeah lighting is really an area that they haven't got right in Fifa yet, even the world cup game suffers, dusk matches on certain pitches can be horrendous because it ends up being really bright and it's hard to track the ball.

Something which hasan't been mentoned much which does worry me is tactics?

They have been game killing for 2 years now with the 100% pressure rubbish. Will there be more depth in terms of tactics and none of this 'golden' tactic shit where pressure and fast passing is far more effective than any other tactic?

I'm not sure, but I think romagnoli hinted that a dev video about stamina would be released soon. Might have just been a dream I had, hopefully not.

Looking very impressive, I watched the "First Look" PES2011 video the other week and I was shocked by how badly their 2d face technology has aged now, Fifa is miles ahead, my comment on the video at gamersyde was:

Not sure if anyone remembers that scene but that's what PES faces look like to me now :)

PES has always been the same. Players always looked like robotic cardboard cutouts. It's why I like FIFA's graphics more but still do not think the cartoonish approach is what they should have gone for.

PES looks absolutely gorgeous compared to Fifa.

Really? What version on what format? I look at trailers from time to time and I think it looks terrible, reminds me of a PS2 game, bad animations, bad graphics. Maybe I need to try the actual game (besides the demos which are also horrendous).

In terms of lighting and pitches; I know the animations are terrible. The lightings looks incredibly realistic, more like I'm watching a match on TV compared to playing a game. Fifa's far too plastic.

It's streets ahead in the authenticity department.

Really? What version on what format? I look at trailers from time to time and I think it looks terrible, reminds me of a PS2 game, bad animations, bad graphics. Maybe I need to try the actual game (besides the demos which are also horrendous).

You really should try the game just to have a look at the graphics. PES2010 is graphically stunning in pretty much every department - it's something the game does very well even if you hate everything else about it.

Personally I don't care about the tech used for player faces in either game, it's the results that matter and the majority of player faces in PES2010 are spot-on. Because the player faces use the photo-realistic approach it's nice and simple for the modders, too.

In terms of lighting and pitches; I know the animations are terrible. The lightings looks incredibly realistic, more like I'm watching a match on TV compared to playing a game. Fifa's far too plastic.

It's streets ahead in the authenticity department.

This is the thing. From a screenshot PES looks better. In motion FIFA looks better.

PES 2011 even got a realistic broadcast cam going on, I hope EA copy that one and the overall realistic look. Even football kingdom on some pitches look way more realistic than FIFA.

YouTube - Football kingdom Highlight[02]

Love the lighting on 2.38, looks pretty realistic too me.

Last edited:
Just a quick note, that the Xavi Fifa shot isn't technically an in-game picture, so you can only judge the lighting for example from pictures like:

fifa11_ps3_FIFATheatre_640x360.jpg

& Then compare to Fifa 10:

screenshot_001_chelseaBarc_640x360.jpg

Also the colours on that Xavi barca kit are appallingly bad.

Last edited:
Just a quick note, that the Xavi Fifa shot isn't technically an in-game picture, so you can only judge the lighting for example from pictures like:

& Then compare to Fifa 10:

screenshot_001_chelseaBarc_640x360.jpg

Also the colours on that barca kit are appallingly bad.
I don't know why they have the color so bright. Lighting is good though.

PES 2011 even got a realistic broadcast cam going on, I hope EA copy that one and the overall realistic look. Even football kingdom on some pitches look way more realistic than FIFA.

YouTube - Football kingdom Highlight[02]

Love the lighting on 2.38, looks pretty realistic too me.

I have the game and the colors are awesome, making that realistic look, it makes me remembering the USA World Cup 94. :P

Also, player models, in a close view don't look so good, but with a far camera they look very nice.

Color palette for FIFA is way too bright

They are clearly bathed in light in the picture though so it's really not a fair comparison. Xavi does not look like that in game, or at least not like that in FIFA 10 in terms of colour. Those pictures are taken under Arena lighting.

They are clearly bathed in light in the picture though so it's really not a fair comparison. Xavi does not look like that in game, or at least not like that in FIFA 10 in terms of colour. Those pictures are taken under Arena lighting.

FIFA's colors are just desaturated. Did this quickly.
2a19qo.jpg

Chelsea+v+Arsenal+Premier+League+ESvWto3foiRl.jpg

Easy fix. They need stronger colors. So they aren't really bright colors but actually light and pale colors.

Last edited:
Hmm. It's odd. The color of the kit in darkness seems reasonable - but the colour looks washed out when it's lit. To do a comparison I took some roughly average color samples of the real and FIFA kits in darkness and light:

fifacolor.gif

Top row is in darkness, bottom row in light, and the left pair of each set are the FIFA ones - the dark ones really aren't too bad. The light ones are -ridiculous-. It seems to me that they just have something really odd going on with the lighting.

Hmm. It's odd. The color of the kit in darkness seems reasonable - but the colour looks washed out when it's lit. To do a comparison I took some roughly average color samples of the real and FIFA kits in darkness and light:

fifacolor.gif

Top row is in darkness, bottom row in light, and the left pair of each set are the FIFA ones - the dark ones really aren't too bad. The light ones are -ridiculous-. It seems to me that they just have something really odd going on with the lighting.

The top row should be eliminated because they are too pale. Bottom row looks accurate for the dark.

Well, Pro Passing and Personality+ should cut down on the fast passing you mention, but i'd put my money on pressuring still being overly effective, that's how EA roll :P.

I dunno, all I've heard is talk for EA. It sounds very positive and romi is saying all the right things but I've just haven't seen much evidence of all these 'improvements'.

I'l be released in two months time, the demo is about a month away and well seen very little footage . I find it very funny how people are skeptical about PES 2011 but it's released 10 times the amount of footage and previews than FIFA 10 all which have been positive but I'm still very in the dark about this game.

Last year romi talked about how the playtesters were saying the same things that were saying now! How the game was more realistic, passing harder stamina etc.. then EA totally watered the game down on release!

I just have premonition this game will be very similar to FIFA 10 but with many of the bugs fixed, i just feel his game won't be the sim that it's being talked up to and will just be a solid game which which is 50/50 in terms of arcade and sim. It will the the game FIFA 10 was supposed to be maybe! Would be nice if I'm wrong but I'll be pretty satisfied if I'm right :) There certainly a fun and very good game inside FIFA 10 so FIFA 11 will hopefully awake that!

I think if you add up everything that romi's said especially about the pending 'sliders' coming in 2012 i think the 'true potential' of FIFA as a proper sim will be unleashed them! For now lets hope fifa 11 is good.

The only evidence you have really is that vid. You can see the pace of the game (on normal), you can see the ball being misdirected and under/overhit. Sadly that's all you're going to have for a while yet. Official GP is going to be one of the last things to emerge by the looks of it.

I dunno, all I've heard is talk for EA. It sounds very positive and romi is saying all the right things but I've just haven't seen much evidence of all these 'improvements'.

I'l be released in two months time, the demo is about a month away and well seen very little footage . I find it very funny how people are skeptical about PES 2011 but it's released 10 times the amount of footage and previews than FIFA 10 all which have been positive but I'm still very in the dark about this game.

Your point? There are many types of marketing, and this is not that rare of a strategy. Hold back, and back, and back. PES are trying to prove something now and they haven't even got a clue where their competitor is really at. EA have the advantage that they don't need to rush, and they won't. Everyone will wait for EA to see what they have before they declare any victors - apart from the hardcore.

It does seem late. I saw something recently which said August the 17th for the first trailer. That seems incredible but it's their strategy.

Last year romi talked about how the playtesters were saying the same things that were saying now! How the game was more realistic, passing harder stamina etc.. then EA totally watered the game down on release!

I just have premonition this game will be very similar to FIFA 10 but with many of the bugs fixed, i just feel his game won't be the sim that it's being talked up to and will just be a solid game which which is 50/50 in terms of arcade and sim. It will the the game FIFA 10 was supposed to be maybe! Would be nice if I'm wrong but I'll be pretty satisfied if I'm right :) There certainly a fun and very good game inside FIFA 10 so FIFA 11 will hopefully awake that!

FIFA doesn't need to do a huge amount but fix. They have the technology in place, they have the features, they just need to fix, refine, fix, refine. It has a manager mode, a Be-a-Player mode, online head to head and online leagues, leaderboards, online-team-play, and it has the online-clubs. It also has all the stuff in the general gameplay there - it's just poorly done.

My entire mental wishlist for this game is fixes. It has everything I want, it just needs to be fixed. What FIFA 10 should have been would be the best football game ever made by a mile.

Last year, the people who played the game gave us a very flawed version of the truth - this time I think they are being more careful, but who knows. I'll be sorely displeased if this game fails as badly as FIFA 10.

My personal premonition is that it will be a fair improvement, the real question comes down to whether or not they've solved the problems with major exploitation. If they can just get over that the game will be infinitely less frustrating. I would be surprised if this game suddenly turns into a great single player experience (and I know that is what is most important for many of you) - but getting it to be this great multiplayer experience is within a games reach if EA are courageous enough to make the changes that the reputable members of the forum have suggested.

I have to say, given that, when I did see 'that vid' - I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom