Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

I need some help to understand something: if the power bar is optional in offline and you decide to turn it off, what will change in terms of gameplay in comparison to if you turn it on ?
It may seem like a stupid question but I've been confused since yesterday

Basically, it will be like if you play a friend locally on FIFA10, and you play Manual and he plays Semi/Assisted. In certain situations you will not be able to perform strong passes, because the powerbar will not charge up quickly enough before the player strikes the ball. Your friend on the other hand will just need to tap the pass button, and the AI can "fill" the powerbar instantly to perform the required pass.

Partly because of this I am not happy that this is optional, because the Pro Passing being THE design would mean the playing field was equal, and there would be consistency in how you can play the game, rather than having different limitations for different setups/assist levels as currently is the case.

That's why it's not quite manual. The minimum weight scales to the distance of the target. So it will still in most cases arrive at the target eventually, or travel most of the way so that the recipient has to track back and get the ball - but even the optimum speeds are much slower than assisted in WC 2010/FIFA 10 (kind of like the pace I tend to pass when using manual controls). So grossly underhitting a pass at what it already a globally slower speed results in counterattacking opportunities being lost.

OK. Got it :)

Of course, there is still the question of whether pro passing is regarded as an assistance setting or a game setting. ie, CAN one person use pro passing and the other not?

Last edited:
Basically, it will be like if you play a friend locally on FIFA10, and you play Manual and he plays Semi/Assisted. In certain situations you will not be able to perform strong passes, because the powerbar will not charge up quickly enough before the player strikes the ball. Your friend on the other hand will just need to tap the pass button, and the AI can "fill" the powerbar instantly to perform the required pass.

Partly because of this I am not happy that this is optional, because the Pro Passing being THE design would mean the playing field was equal, and there would be consistency in how you can play the game, rather than having different limitations for different setups/assist levels as currently is the case.

Hopefully we can choose who can use the "pro passing " when we can offline.Like 1st control plays with pro passing and 2nd controller plays without it.

Anyway I intent to force my buddies to play with it otherwise they can fuck off

OK. Got it :)

Of course, there is still the question of whether pro passing is regarded as an assistance setting or a game setting. ie, CAN one person use pro passing and the other not?

I guess it's per player not per match. Technically FIFA 10's assisted passing is with power bar off, while a manual player is like pro passing power bar on (though, as we've said, manual power bars aren't quite the same as PP).

@TA - for me, I'm not bothered what other people do - if I can't ever play against someone who has pro passing off then I couldn't care less. I've also got a feeling that the people who are the types who would want to switch this off for offline won't even know that there is an option to switch it off.

Last edited:
I really hope we get some online news soon. Especially clubs which has such huge potential as a game mode but is fundamentally flawed and ruined by blue haired drug fuelled supermen. Just imagining a full realistic simulation in clubs mode is enough for my Mouth to drool and I'd buy fifa11 just for that alone.

yep. I liked fifa 09 clubs more even with the dream teams.

I'm surprised I havn't seen more info about the shooting/keepers... It's probably been the worst thing about the entire FIFA series throughout the PS1 and PS2 days and was still one of the main problems with FIFA 10.

I know we will probably never get the amount of variation we used to have in PES with the shooting but it would be nice for some shots to dip or at least not constantly rise like in FIFA 10, and you should be able to hit powerful shots at angles other than facing the goal (FIFA 10 you only have any chance of scoring from outside the box if facing the goal...).

I remember somoene (think it was Gab) saying that the keepers are less predictable in WC2010 and you don't always know if they will save it which is encouraging, but I still wasn't impressed with them from the WC2010 demo.

To hit a powerful effort at goal you have to be facing towards the goal, there's a leeway of maybe 30 degrees but you can't hit a powerful shot when facing, say, 90 degrees from the goal, making goals like this impossible.

YouTube - sneijder goal against france (best goal) euro 2008

Basically whenever your player has to turn his body and shoot the shot is usually very weak...

You also have to be moving when you take the shot otherwise it's very weak, making goals like this impossible:

YouTube - ronaldinho goal vs chelsea

To hit a good shot in FIFA, you have to be running in an angle close to the goal - if you don't do both of these things you may as well not shoot from anywhere from the edge of the box...

The simple fact that you have to turn down shooting opportunities that you would take in real football because you know for certain that you won't score ruins the illusion that you're playing a football match...

All of this is about FIFA 10 by the way... i'm not being negative about 11, just saying I hope this is sorted out for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
fifa11_gooners.jpg

Faces are decent. Just don't get why FIFA does not go for photo realistic graphics.

Chelsea's are awesome.
fifa11_chelski.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Gary about shooting at an angle like that in Canada. Robben was the example we talked about, as he'd scored a few. Since then I've also sent suggestions about Dipping 30 yard shots (Lampard in the FA Cup final was the specific example as was Nani vs Boro a couple of years ago), they're putting in drilled low finishes apparently, plus I sent a big post about getting the lobs flatter a la Quagliarella/Rooney (don't worry, I told them to watch put for it being exploitable!!).

The key thing is to actually get your thoughts on these things heard, not by being abusive or confrontational as is usually the case on the forums, but by making sure you explain things as clearly as possible with video examples of what's right (and what's wrong). Then you have to post it somewhere - ideally the feedback section of the official forums.

They're never going to forsake the casual portion of the market. It's a fact we're going to either have to live with, or have EA put up some sort of electrified perimeter fencing to keep them away from us with their monosyllabic speech pattern, George Lamb accents and spray-on suntans. I vote for the latter tbh, otherwise next time some casual footballist posts a clumsy article like this while Phil's gone home and the devs are up to their eyeballs in work (which is why Gary took so long to reply) we'll have another heart in mouth moment.

Oh my housemate's being sick. Lovely stuff. Like Deliverance meets Donald Duck.

Rom, you have hit the nail on the head here. "Casual gamers" or, plucking a % out of my random stat bucket, 85% of sales of FIFA are casual gamers.

Why should EA make a game that has a hard learning curve to play and get right when they get most money from the majority of sales from the casual gamer side of the market?

We need to accept that we are in the minority when it comes to our passion and needs/wants from the game. The annoying thing is that EA do a great job of giving us an almost perfect game which the silly little things eventually spoil time after time.

Allowing filtering online is the best they can do IMO, even if it is hard to find a match.

At the end of the day if they satisfy our needs, the casual gamers will see it as too hard and wont buy it, which leads to less sales, less of a development team to put the good stuff in.

Anyway, the game is looking awesome!

Why's it always the eyes that's hard to do? I've realized that in most games I played. Anelka and Clichy's are the best though.

I think tweaking light/shadows/colors could be enough to make it look more realistic and not so cartoony.

I talked to Gary about shooting at an angle like that in Canada. Robben was the example we talked about, as he'd scored a few. Since then I've also sent suggestions about Dipping 30 yard shots (Lampard in the FA Cup final was the specific example as was Nani vs Boro a couple of years ago), they're putting in drilled low finishes apparently, plus I sent a big post about getting the lobs flatter a la Quagliarella/Rooney (don't worry, I told them to watch put for it being exploitable!!).

The key thing is to actually get your thoughts on these things heard, not by being abusive or confrontational as is usually the case on the forums, but by making sure you explain things as clearly as possible with video examples of what's right (and what's wrong). Then you have to post it somewhere - ideally the feedback section of the official forums.

Tbh Rom, I'd rather you take them away from their official forums that's filled with the wrong people and guide them here, to the right people to listen to.

"We will put you on the right path, light up your way, and guide you til the end of the tunnel :)"

Rom, you have hit the nail on the head here. "Casual gamers" or, plucking a % out of my random stat bucket, 85% of sales of FIFA are casual gamers.

Why should EA make a game that has a hard learning curve to play and get right when they get most money from the majority of sales from the casual gamer side of the market?

We need to accept that we are in the minority when it comes to our passion and needs/wants from the game. The annoying thing is that EA do a great job of giving us an almost perfect game which the silly little things eventually spoil time after time.

Allowing filtering online is the best they can do IMO, even if it is hard to find a match.

At the end of the day if they satisfy our needs, the casual gamers will see it as too hard and wont buy it, which leads to less sales, less of a development team to put the good stuff in.

Anyway, the game is looking awesome!

and the problem with all of this is that the actual number of people who NEED something like pro passing to be off is closer to 0% than it is to 85%. In terms of the people who play online, for instance, I am 100% convinced that 100% of them can cope with pro passing.

Are there people who REALLY struggle to play FIFA? Yes. I'm sure there are - but they surely already have the two-button controls. I find it hard to believe that someone who can deal with ALL of the complex stuff which FIFA contains in terms of movement and defence, shooting, crossing, et cetera.. but they can't deal with vaguely weighting passing?! Come on. These people, simply put, really don't exist to the extent EA like to think they do. They imagine that the number of people who use assists use them primarily because they need that level of assistance - and yes, you're right, it probably is about 85% of people who do use full assists - but the vast majority of them do it not because they are 'casual' - but because there is absolutely no benefit from changing.

The lack of upward pressure, the lack of reason to change from the easiest most assisted least realistic system to anything harder, more realistic, more free settings is the crux of the issue and always has been. All you need to do to solve the major issue is reapply the incentive. Players will be happy to play a more realistic game if it improves how well they play, or if it gives them a more arbitrary bonus.

The number of 'casuals', as in people who really are not very good at gaming, is really not that high. The number of people who fit in this bizarre gap of being too good for two-button, but not good enough for the new fully assisted is: 0%.

Last edited:
I don't think shooting when not facing the goal or standing still and shooting is as bad as you think btw. It's just that people are in the habit of running at an angle to shoot from old games.

I think that's how it should be, goals like that are unusual, and normally shots without running are weaker.
I know that video I posted shows a great goal, the kind which you rarely see, but it still proves the point that the ball can be struck well from standing.

Of course you shouldn't be able to hit it quite as hard as when you are running, but in FIFA 10 you end up with piss-weak efforts which defenders more often than not run over to and control with their feet, they don't even need to block it :LOL:.
Next time you play football in real life, put the ball just in front of you, take one step and hit it... even me, who by my own admission is not great at football can hit the ball pretty hard, much harder than the best players on FIFA 10...

I don't think shooting when not facing the goal or standing still and shooting is as bad as you think btw. It's just that people are in the habit of running at an angle to shoot from old games.
Take a look at the goal videos thread here, or on other forums or whatever and see the goals that people post.
A lot of the long range goals are very similar (in terms of the shot, not necessarily the build up) - the player running towards the goal and shooting diagonally into the far corner.

Edit - That video was good to see... You can't tell how powerful it is due to the slo-mo but at least it forced the keeper into a save :).

Last edited by a moderator:
[IM]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_g851vbDBpdk/TBbbq7fFYBI/AAAAAAAAEUs/17X1Bxn9kxQ/fifa11_gooners.jpg[/IMG]
Faces are decent. Just don't get why FIFA does not go for photo realistic graphics.

Chelsea's are awesome.
[IG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_g851vbDBpdk/TBbbqJ7RuEI/AAAAAAAAEUo/eKyIWku-TiU/fifa11_chelski.jpg[/IMG]

Looking very impressive, I watched the "First Look" PES2011 video the other week and I was shocked by how badly their 2d face technology has aged now, Fifa is miles ahead, my comment on the video at gamersyde was:

Talk about being technologically left behind. The faces remind me of Silence of the Lambs where Hannibal Lecter kills the paramedic, cuts his face off and sticks it over his own face to disguise himself and escape, watching that video makes me think there's 22 serial killers running around with the faces of Ronaldo, Messi et al sliced off and stuck over their own faces.

Not sure if anyone remembers that scene but that's what PES faces look like to me now :)

Tbh Rom, I'd rather you take them away from their official forums that's filled with the wrong people and guide them here, to the right people to listen to.

"We will put you on the right path, light up your way, and guide you til the end of the tunnel :)"

Well there's that too!

Posting them here/in the suggestions thread is fine. I'll do what I can to send them on but unless I'm sufficiently wowed by the feedback to make an exception I'll send the idea on as part of a batch of ideas (along with a brief description).

I do think it'd benefit everyone if we lead by example over there, but I do want us specifically to get credit where it's due so that our word carries more weight and EA devs check here without prompting. So, if you do want to post an idea over there, then post it here first and link back to it!

Edit - That video was good to see... You can't tell how powerful it is due to the slo-mo but at least it forced the keeper into a save :).

That shot was about the same pace as the Ronaldinho one, unfortunately I lost connection to the EA server so I can't re-upload it.

To be fair the standing element was a bit of a fluke, seems the momentum of stopping and shooting so quickly generated the power. But if you stop dead still and then shoot it's still very weak.

Though shooting when not facing the goal is still pretty decent, not perfect, a fair few times you'll lose balance and trip, or it'll swerve away after hitting the outside of the foot. But occasionally you'll catch it sweetly and you'll see some good efforts.

Looking very impressive, I watched the "First Look" PES2011 video the other week and I was shocked by how badly their 2d face technology has aged now, Fifa is miles ahead, my comment on the video at gamersyde was.

I think the same goes for all of FIFA graphics. FIFA in almost every area uses cleverer, better technology and just isn't making the most out of it. The kits on FIFA move, for instance, they just move horribly, same with the hair - they have cloth physics going on and they don't use it well enough to make it a graphical showcase. The faces have finally got there - though the eyes still don't look right. Photograph based technology like the form PES uses just isn't up to the task of producing animatable, 3D faces which look convincing. I think that goes for a lot of the things with PES and FIFA though in many ways - gameplay too. FIFA has had for a long time the better technology but PES has beenpushing, in some areas similar/better results out of worse technology. Getting really basic things wrong in FIFA, like the pitch textures, even though they have the 3d grass, they look awful because of simply poor color - and those simple things graphically FIFA is getting wrong is really the only thing making their graphics look so bad.

I think FIFA could really be benifitted by looking into some better ambient lighting too - it's something PES got right with PES2010.

Last edited:
For me it's the player models, excluding the faces. There's still something not quite right about them, as I've said before although it has been improved there is still an element of leaf-blower up the shirt/shorts going on. The shirts in particular don't seem to hang properly on the shoulders.

Not sure if this was posted before, but I capped this from that old vid.

fifaplayermodels.jpg

That shot was about the same pace as the Ronaldinho one, unfortunately I lost connection to the EA server so I can't re-upload it.

To be fair the standing element was a bit of a fluke, seems the momentum of stopping and shooting so quickly generated the power. But if you stop dead still and then shoot it's still very weak.

Though shooting when not facing the goal is still pretty decent, not perfect, a fair few times you'll lose balance and trip, or it'll swerve away after hitting the outside of the foot. But occasionally you'll catch it sweetly and you'll see some good efforts.
I seem to remember those type of swerving outside of the foot shots from FIFA 08 from an angle that were fairly powerful, but then they were pathetic in FIFA 09 and 10.

My posts are mainly about FIFA 10, so if some of the stuff i'm saying has already been sorted in the World Cup game then that's great :).

Knocked this up, it's a little unfair on Fifa as that's the only pic that isn't of a decent resolution. (PES is PES2010 btw)

Constructive criticisms, isn't meant to be a competition :P

xavia.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom