Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

They're never going to forsake the casual portion of the market. It's a fact we're going to either have to live with, or have EA put up some sort of electrified perimeter fencing to keep them away from us with their monosyllabic speech pattern, George Lamb accents and spray-on suntans. I vote for the latter tbh, otherwise next time some casual footballist posts a clumsy article like this while Phil's gone home and the devs are up to their eyeballs in work (which is why Gary took so long to reply) we'll have another heart in mouth moment.

Oh my housemate's being sick. Lovely stuff. Like Deliverance meets Donald Duck.

He worries far too much about 'casual gamers'. What I'd like to ask Gary, is why he feels it acceptable to have an assistance setting online as ridiculous as the assists but feels this shouldn't be online? And yes I know that FIFA 11's assists are 'not a fucking disgrace' in your opinion Romagnoli.. I dunno. Either EA have learnt their lesson or we're still on a merry roundabout of the influence 'casuals' have ruining the game.

But in any case, thank God. It's pointless, like the hand balls, but fine. I do wish they were this careful when they implemented the assist system for the last 7 games.

On the other hand though, we allways ask for sliders etc etc to customize the experience to what we want. Should not the casuals be offered the same? Just saying.

That's a very good point Dusse. As long as they go down the path of realism and everyone finds it's best options the game will go well for us.

You guys are blowing stuff way out of proportion.

Ya'll need to come in terms with the fact that you will never get a proper online experience as long as you keep playing with random people on the public online leaderboards.

Stop being naive, the overly competitive blowhards on there will always find a way to piss you off by exploiting some aspect of the game no matter how hard EA tries (besides, given the average development cycle, games like FIFA are way too complex to rule out all of the glitches anyway). That's online gaming for you.

Find some buddies who share your same conceptual approach to the gameplay, set-up some league and tournaments and you'll suddenly start to appreciate these kinda games a lot more than you currently do. Trust me.

*** NEWS FLASH ***

So it's offline only and it's only the power bar charging - the contextual error will still be there in all modes. If they want to play online then they'll have to build up to using the power bar. I'm fine with that. Essentially turning the power bar off is like another layer of assistance.

I'm happy with that. I only play online and was dreading it being switched off for that. Phew. Some of the AVF lads might not be so happy though! :)

I never doubted them

:P

Insert something bad about PES here

Last edited:
I need some help to understand something: if the power bar is optional in offline and you decide to turn it off, what will change in terms of gameplay in comparison to if you turn it on ?
It may seem like a stupid question but I've been confused since yesterday

I really hope we get some online news soon. Especially clubs which has such huge potential as a game mode but is fundamentally flawed and ruined by blue haired drug fuelled supermen. Just imagining a full realistic simulation in clubs mode is enough for my Mouth to drool and I'd buy fifa11 just for that alone.

I really hope we get some online news soon. Especially clubs which has such huge potential as a game mode but is fundamentally flawed and ruined by blue haired drug fuelled supermen. Just imagining a full realistic simulation in clubs mode is enough for my Mouth to drool and I'd buy fifa11 just for that alone.

I'll say it again; +1

I need some help to understand something: if the power bar is optional in offline and you decide to turn it off, what will change in terms of gameplay in comparison to if you turn it on ?
It may seem like a stupid question but I've been confused since yesterday
It means you wouldn't have to weight each pass. Much like FIFA at the moment, you'd be able to tap the pass button and it'd be hit hard enough to reach the target at the optimum speed.

Online (or with the powerbar on), you have to put the correct amount of power into a pass. So you can't just tap X/A for it to reach the target at the right speed.

I suspect as it's offline only, the option to turn it off won't even be used by the "casual players". The majority of casual players don't even know these things are there, it's been said countless times by people on these forums even, that if they ask some of their friends if they play on manual, they'd reply with something like 'what's manual?'

The more competitive natured people who would currently play online with assisted would keep it on offline to adapt.

Last edited:
I dunno bout that, loads of my mates who play assisted know I play manual and want me to 'teach' them :LOL:

It's not a case of teaching, they just suck at Fifa and realism :SMUG:

On the other hand though, we allways ask for sliders etc etc to customize the experience to what we want. Should not the casuals be offered the same? Just saying.

But they haven't been offered the same, have they? Because in actual fact we haven't got any sliders to make the game what we want unless they haven't told us something.

My problem is what I suspect we'll find with this game which is that they've taken steps and every one of those steps won't be far enough. It's something suggested by many of those lucky enough to test this game - and I'd put fair money on it with this one. I also find it terribly ironic how mindful they are of this silent sector of the market when they consistently fail the manual community.

FIFA still seems to be a game where they'll do almost anything to not upset the casuals, and will happily underwhelm the hardcore for the 8th game in succession. It's not naivety from my part - I understand exactly why - it's just the sheer irony of how they'll say they listen to us - but at the end of the day the manual community are still on the outside of this game, whilst they'll find time to put in an option for the super-casual community (which I still see no evidence for) so they can play the game unrealistically.

Gary last year made a comment which implied he knew that only 'experienced' players knew where these settings were anyway, so what's the point of this?

Sliders are a sticky wicket rather than an easy answer. If they want to go down that route can they bloody well get on with it frankly. I'd like them to just decide. Are they going to make a realistic game with assists, or a game with sliders and a variety of stock-settings for online, and the assists. We seem to be floundering at the moment because of a lack of direction. Every change towards making the game realistic seems to be hauled in so it doesn't hurt the casuals. Something about last nights debacle made me remember quite how angry the assists make me.

Last edited:
I dunno bout that, loads of my mates who play assisted know I play manual and want me to 'teach' them :LOL:

It's not a case of teaching, they just suck at Fifa and realism :SMUG:

This, basically FIFA 11 (offline) I'll be playing cocks who turn off Pro Passing and I'll be back to square one. :((

I have to admit, the news that Pro Passing will be enabled for all online modes has got me looking forward to this :).

If pass weighting is truly 90% manual (even 50% may be enough) as romagnoli says, then the amount of ping-pong passing, pinpoint chip through balls etc. should be drastically reduced.
The Personality+/contextual error should also mean that every one-on-one with the keeper isn't a 99% guaranteed goal and that there aren't as many "sweet spots" to shoot from as well as further contributing to reduced ping-pong passing and giving the games a slower, more realistic feel (for the first few weeks/months anyway, while people's VPs aren't maxed out).

This, basically FIFA 11 (offline) I'll be playing cocks who turn off Pro Passing and I'll be back to square one. :((
I know what you mean, most of my mates I play FIFA with offline play on fully assisted.
However, it could still be alright for us if EA get it right, as PES was always "fully assisted" and never had "pro passing" (i.e. holding button was only to choose the teammate to pass to, not the power of the pass) yet in the end, it was usually the people who played the game more realistically who came out on top. It just depends how severely Personality+/contextual error affects the gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling on how the weighting works is more like this - The way it looked to me is that its more like a point where you have to hit it for an 'optimum' pass, and if you do it under it will be slow, and bouncy, and if you overhit it will be too fast etc.

So on manual when you pass it will weight it dependent on what you do, whereas on assisted your innaccuracy in terms of weighting will be translated to innaccuracy in terms of bounciness et cetera. That's how it looks on the magnified gameplay video :P You can be quite considerably under the 'optimum' amount and it will still get there - whereas the manual pass ala FIFA 10 would just be short, or slow, it will put the error in differently. It's a pretty strange system I think. I'd definitely like to see more directional inaccuracy.

Last edited:
How close you are to the weighting doesn't impact accuracy/inaccuracy; an optimally weighted pass can still be bouncy and inaccurate. The little marker is just an indicator, not a WC2010 penalty-style composure meter.

Talking of penalties, surely they must change them from how they are WC2010...

How close you are to the weighting doesn't impact accuracy/inaccuracy; an optimally weighted pass can still be bouncy and inaccurate. The little marker is just an indicator, not a WC2010 penalty-style composure meter.

Oh, ok. So if I'm trying to do a medium length pass and I weight about 50% of how much i should have, it will go roughly half the way?

You've directly answered to a question I was gonna ask after your last response to my post.(I was gonna ask the link between the power-bar and accuracy)

Talking of penalties, surely they must change them from how they are WC2010...

I've seen a lot of people complain about them but I gotta say I love this system.Makes scoring a penalty a real skill

Oh, ok. So if I'm trying to do a medium length pass and I weight about 50% of how much i should have, it will go roughly half the way?

It won't stop there, no. After all an optimally weighted pass isn't one that stops exactly at the recipient's feet! Instead the ball will reach the target but it will have done so quite slowly, making it easier for the defence to get back in position or causing a move to lose momentum.

Why? System works great in the world cup game.
Until you pratice it enough, by which time you can put every penalty right into the top corner even with the goalkeeper without fail.

I think Trance_Allstar posted a video of him doing this over and over.

EDIT: Here is the video:

YouTube - FIFA WC2010 - Penalties

Surely you can't tell me this is acceptable?

Until you pratice it enough, by which time you can put every penalty right into the top corner even with the goalkeeper without fail.

I think Trance_Allstar posted a video of him doing this over and over.

I passed that video on; fingers crossed EA tweak the system accordingly. But it will be the WC2010 style of penalty. It's not the concept but the backend of the system that's wrong here.

Last edited:
Hmm, thankfully I won't be playing many penalty shootouts as I always choose "extra time only" or "end match as draw" in online ranked matches, and matches always end as draws on Clubs.

Even if they tweak it, because that system is so focused on gamer skill and penalties are so easy to practice in the Arena I imagine that within a few weeks of release, everyone you come up against will be able to hit unstoppable penalties all the time.

It won't stop there, no. After all an optimally weighted pass isn't one that stops exactly at the recipient's feet! Instead the ball will reach the target but it will have done so quite slowly, making it easier for the defence to get back in position or causing a move to lose momentum.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is the distance the ball goes when you pass with the assist+pro passing proportional to how much you weight it - like a manual pass - because it seems in that one gameplay video more like when you hit an assisted pass it will eventually get to the target even if you weight it way, way, way under, to an extent that if it was on FIFA 10 manual it wouldn't have got close.

Last edited:
That's why it's not quite manual. The minimum weight scales to the distance of the target. So it will still in most cases arrive at the target eventually, or travel most of the way so that the recipient has to track back and get the ball - but even the optimum speeds are much slower than assisted in WC 2010/FIFA 10 (kind of like the pace I tend to pass when using manual controls). So grossly underhitting a pass at what it already a globally slower speed results in counterattacking opportunities being lost.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is the distance the ball goes when you pass with the assist+pro passing proportional to how much you weight it - like a manual pass - because it seems in that one gameplay video more like when you hit an assisted pass it will eventually get to the target even if you weight it way, way, way under.
Even if the passes do always reach the recipient on assisted even if you only tap the button, moves should lose momentum with defenders getting back into position and the passes should be easier to intercept - I don't think it would really look realistic anyway if the ball actually stopped way before it's intended target, i've hardly seen this happen at school let alone in professional football.

Back
Top Bottom