Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Trying not to get carried away, but IF this turns out to be true, it'll be up there with that poll during an update phase for the WC game, where they asked people if they wanted 5 star teams weaker/slower, or poor teams faster/stronger - (Click) In terms of making me wonder if i'm playing the right game.

...and I'm getting carried away :CALM:

Last edited:
The thing is, as I said before, the online community is too competitive and as it is now in Fifa 11/Fifa WC manual games are few and far between,

The online matchmaking system is useless.

If you're on PS3 just head to http://www.tamfa.com/ instead, there's like 60+ pretty cool manual players from all over the world there who would be more than glad to play with you and check out the ongoing League with divisions, cups, goalscorers lists and stuff while you are at it.

No way Gary Paterson would do that. But Rutter is in charge and he is the one that don't want it do be too sim like. He said in an interview that they toned Pro Passing error down because he thought it was too much. It was probably very realistic...
:RANT: I'm so mad right now.

Fuck me, if "Pro Passing" can be turned off in anyway then it's pointless, It needs to be a part of the game rather than someone going into options and clicking "off". If it can be turned off in anymode (offline or online) than its pointless.

kinell' I don't believe the news of today.If the stuff about the pro-passing being optional is true then something is terribly wrong with EA.

Personally I'm sick to the back teeth with online abusers and assisted ping-pong passers. I will be totally pissed off if it is an "optional" feature :(

There's no problem with it being optional offline. I don't care what some kid 5000 miles away is playing. It's if it affects me in any way that I will be sorely pissed. If it can be used online, particularly ranked, then I'll be gobsmacked.

Dunno. I think it might be best if we stop thinking about it until EA explain what is going on with Pro Passing. It'll only make us very angry.

kinell' I don't believe the news of today.If the stuff about the pro-passing being optional is true then something is terribly wrong with EA.

Hey at least we got something to talk about today huh? Too bad it had to be another possible gaffe by EA.

Fucking EA - if they must "dumb-down" why not just bring out two different games - a proper sim for football fans and that assisted shite for the morons. :RANT:

What a betrayal by EA = if true it's a shocking poor decision.

Last edited:
What next? News that the stamina/aggression/pressure abuse issue has not been fixed???:RANT:
Exactly I have not heard a thing about this. This might be what the Eurogamer preview was referring to. You have no time on the ball because cutstom tactics and the constant pressuring are still effective.

I am so freaking sick of all the through-ball, ping-pong, custom tactics abusers that ruin FIFA online. I asked one such person that I played the other night if he really enjoyed playing the game that way, as it is nothing like real football, and did he actually like football?

Just got juvenile abuse as an answer.

Seriously it is painful to see the sport I love represented in such a piss-poor way.:RANT:

I don't think it's helping anyone to jump to conclusions about the pro passing optionality. It's becoming a circlejerk of rage. We all hate pingpong passers - we don't need to flog a dead horse. What we nee to do is find
out if the horse has become undead.

Undead horses are not realistic, and i will not be buying the game if they're in.

So they come at us in their PR suits with that personality + thing like it's the second coming and now ruin their campaign by telling us it's turned off online?

They must be joking or that's a big PR failure.

^^ banned. Well that was brief!?

Lami, I think you've completely misread things. It's pro passing, not personality+!!

All we know is that, in some form or another, pro passing's optional. We don't know if that's online ranked/unranked, or offline, or anything at all. I'm pretty convinced it's the power bar charge-up that's optional; it'd take a hell of a lot more effort to neuter all the passing context sensitivity.

Last edited:
the thing is what is the proportion of these ping pong players that actually buy and play the game?

It is probably a very high percentage? so they are a business and they will want to make ridiculous amounts of sales/money like last year, so they need to still cater for these people.

But it still is shit, they need to do more to steer people into using pro passing and manual. As most of the ping pong passers etc want achievements and prestige, the best way to do that is to make alot of the achievements relate to playing the game on harder settings, including the passing. They could make leaderboards for each passing setting and make Manual the most prestigious etc.

Things like these will be the only way people will try and persist with anything else other than assisted.

The only good thing (if they can turn pro passing off) is that pro passing is being advertised and promoted, so more people will try it. Whereas Manual was never promoted as such and many assisted people didn't even know it existed.

Anyway, it's all speculation at the moment. We need to wait and see if it is reality or not.

If people can turn pro passing off online and EA haven't done anything to make it more desirable to use the pro passing and Manual settings, then it is all bollocks.

Fifa is on a huge roll right now. Forcing people to use pro passing+ is not gonna put a huge dent in EA's shareholders pockets.

Honestly EA should force the features on people. That way these annoying gamers will have to practise and get better. Given them a choice is pointless!

Ranked matches have to have no turn off option.

^^ banned. Well that was brief!?

Lami, I think you've completely misread things. It's pro passing, not personality+!!

Goddammit! I've got myself tangled with all these new phrases..

Regardless though, if its something special thats been introduced into Fifa 11 and promising more sim-like game, why turn it off?

I'll barely play online and will prefer Career mode obviously, but if that's what they'll do then it'll completely turn me off to even think of going online.

And I'm with anyone who says create an arcade mode/game for arcade fans and leave us sim lovers alone.

the thing is what is the proportion of these ping pong players that actually buy and play the game?

It is probably a very high percentage? so they are a business and they will want to make ridiculous amounts of sales/money like last year, so they need to still cater for these people.

But it still is shit, they need to do more to steer people into using pro passing and manual. As most of the ping pong passers etc want achievements and prestige, the best way to do that is to make alot of the achievements relate to playing the game on harder settings, including the passing. They could make leaderboards for each passing setting and make Manual the most prestigious etc.

Things like these will be the only way people will try and persist with anything else other than assisted.

The only good thing (if they can turn pro passing off) is that pro passing is being advertised and promoted, so more people will try it. Whereas Manual was never promoted as such and many assisted people didn't even know it existed.

Anyway, it's all speculation at the moment. We need to wait and see if it is reality or not.

If people can turn pro passing off online and EA haven't done anything to make it more desirable to use the pro passing and Manual settings, then it is all bollocks.

Good post.

The devs want to make our sort of game but are hamstrung by the FIFA legacy. Victims of their own success. So they have to be able to cater for the great unwashed.

Frankly, if it means they get the finances to put into creating the sim that the devs want to make as well - the game I and others have played behind closed doors - then they can do what they want because it doesn't impact me.

I see this 'Pro Passing: OFF' as like a PC virus. As long as it's offline and will only infect the arcade players' consoles then I'll be back to DefCon Quite Happy, But Keeping A Close Eye On Things.... umm, 3?

But if it encroaches into online, then it means that my PS3 might be infected by their evil. If it goes into online ranked then that's when I go into DefCon Fuckinfurious.

So yes, I've compartmentalised and labelled my fear. That's normal. Isn't it?

Last edited:
There's no problem with it being optional offline. I don't care what some kid 5000 miles away is playing. It's if it affects me in any way that I will be sorely pissed. If it can be used online, particularly ranked, then I'll be gobsmacked.

Dunno. I think it might be best if we stop thinking about it until EA explain what is going on with Pro Passing. It'll only make us very angry.

I disagree really, this comes down to a question of courage and its the one thing I've railed against for so long with EA. It's gutless cowardice to be SO afraid of improving your game. A decent developer would say: THIS is how it should be. LIVE with it. Convince people by showing them WHY it's more realistic and WHY it's better. This has gone past being about accessibility, 2-button controls gives more accessibility than is imaginable.

As soon as Konami gets their act together EA will be annhialated if they can't stop pandering to the precise segment of the population which creates every community based problem.

This game is being destroyed by the different standards to which people play. If it's just offline.. well then OK. I'm still not happy about it but as long as by default Pro Passing is enabled I'll live with it - but I'm so bored of this crap. I mean, why should we even doubt that EA are weak enough to actually make this optional online too? They seemed to delude themselves into believing that assisted being optional was acceptable for the last 7 games.

At the very least this is EA saying, very clearly, that they are happy to give ALL the options in the world if you want FIFA to be unrealistic - they are saying very clearly: here is an option to make your game more arcade, and yet they still fail to provide (pending news obviously) changes and systems which allow you to play a more challenging, more realistic game without having to sacrifice the ability to actually have fun.

:RANT:

There is only one way to kill ping pong passing and that is to eradicate it entirely, to destroy it, to burn it, and to stamp on it.

Last edited:
Ok, so we've gone through denial

Now we're at anger

Next is acceptance

:D

Now we're at anger

Next is acceptance

The next step is finding out WTF is going on!

It's awful timing that this bomb has been dropped now, when PWride has clocked off for the weekend. He'll probably pop by on Saturday, see the place melting down and shake his head.

Now we're at anger

Next is acceptance

:P but actually the next stage is bargaining, then depression, then acceptance. I think I skipped denial, and will skip bargaining, and probably skip acceptance too.

In fact I think we've already kinda started bargaining already: "As long as it's only offline. . ." :P

I disagree really, this comes down to a question of courage and its the one thing I've railed against for so long with EA. It's gutless cowardice to be SO afraid of improving your game. A decent developer would say: THIS is how it should be. LIVE with it. Convince people by showing them WHY it's more realistic and WHY it's better. This has gone past being about accessibility, 2-button controls gives more accessibility than is imaginable.

As soon as Konami gets their act together EA will be annhialated if they can't stop pandering to the precise segment of the population which creates every community based problem.

This game is being destroyed by the different standards to which people play. If it's just offline.. well then OK. I'm still not happy about it but as long as by default Pro Passing is enabled I'll live with it - but I'm so bored of this crap. I mean, why should we even doubt that EA are weak enough to actually make this optional online too? They seemed to delude themselves into believing that assisted being optional was acceptable for the last 7 games.

At the very least this is EA saying, very clearly, that they are happy to give ALL the options in the world if you want FIFA to be unrealistic - they are saying very clearly: here is an option to make your game more arcade, and yet they still fail to provide (pending news obviously) changes and systems which allow you to play a more challenging, more realistic game without having to sacrifice the ability to actually have fun.

:RANT:

There is only one way to kill ping pong passing and that is to eradicate it entirely, to destroy it, to burn it, and to stamp on it.

Disagree with the bold - what they'd implemented in my playtest does exactly that.

I honestly can't see a way to keep 10 million buyers AND keep us happy moving into the future. In an ideal world I fully agree with you, but realistically I can't see how it can be done without compromising further down the line. It's why that comment from Gary about FIFA 12 having sliders (or similar) was made.

If they're going to do something like this, then (a) the inaccuracy of the passing had better be increased if anything, and (b) they simply must take every step to stop the arcadiness from bleeding into my experience. If it does then I'll be absolutely livid.

Back
Top Bottom