Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Realism such as playing 2 matches in a day? Realism such as 99% of matches at night? I could pick holes in that comment 50 times over :(

I just had to do it :)

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...250969-create-your-own-team.html#post16960781

Forced to play 2 matches in a day: Fifa 06, Fifa 07, Fifa 08, Fifa 09, Fifa 10
Forced to play cup finals at night: Fifa 09, Fifa 10
No injuries longer than 1 week when playing matches: Fifa 06, Fifa 07, Fifa 08, Fifa 09, Fifa 10
Forced to play midweek matches in daylight: : Fifa 06, Fifa 07, Fifa 08, Fifa 09
Forced to play most matches at night: Fifa 10
Swedish/Norwegian/Irish teams cannot qualify for any European tournament: Fifa 06, Fifa 07, Fifa 08, Fifa 09, Fifa 10

Would that be the cornerstone of realism you mention? ;) And the list could be 50 times longer if I put my mind to it ;)

At least give an answer that's honest and makes sense "it's a new feature and we didn't have the time to come up with a way to integrate custom teams properly into the new career mode but we're looking into it for future Fifas".

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's safe to say that's not Phil's write-up!!

A little miffed at the lack of new info. I was expecting a hell of a lot of info, including some gameplay - particularly considering that over the shoulder stuff. It shouldn't be long before there's new stuff but not having a fixed date to look out for is frustrating as fuck.

You can argue that part of the delay of news is because they want to make sure stuff is going to work before deciding to keep it in, but surely we can get some carefully selected gameplay snippets. I'm tired of telling people the gameplay is slower and more methodical and not being believed.

What's honestly the point of the "create teams" if we cannot even use in the offline most played by gamers ?

I went the other way in a separate area of the forum and pointed out what we wanted with custom teams in career mode, which is to build a separate competition within MM so it knows that I'm linking the top two divisions of Argentina together. Plus that, if you can sign players from custom teams (and there's nothing stopping them being unrealistic) and you can create a virtual pro based on you, then how would playing as Darlington in League Two (or appending the Blue Square Prem) be unrealistic?

Your answer is more valid Placebo. It'd be quite fiddly trying to get the ability to customise MM's competitions in such a way and I doubt they could get it done at once. I have PM'ed Gary, including Retri's SWOS tournament screen.

As I said before though, you can at least use custom teams in tournaments/leagues and you can sign players from customs teams. It's just not being used in what for most of us is the main event.

Your answer is more valid Placebo. It'd be quite fiddly trying to get the ability to customise MM's competitions in such a way and I doubt they could get it done at once. I have PM'ed Gary, including Retri's SWOS tournament screen.

His answer and my answer are both PR spin, just mine's based in fact and his in fiction, there is no cornerstone of realism in the Fifa MM series :)

Caring about Manager Mode so much seems a poisoned chalice - they seem to completely miss what people want. I don't care for MM much because it's so inferior to Football Manager. FIFA for me is a simulation of playing a game of football - this stuff is all fairly irrelevent until it gets close to FM's level.

Disappointing lack of information all round really. Their marketing concept seems to be fairly bizarre this year. Gameplay PLEASE. I can't watch that bloody magnified video any more.

Yeh, all of EA's problems would be solved in a nicely arranged gameplay clip showing all the new onfield features in context. Right now they keep reciveing backlash for every piece of info released because many conclude "is that it?". Actions are much louder than words. For instance, seeing a clip of Ronaldo's runstyle doing chops and stop/start step-overs to beat defenders and then being stopped by a lunging JohnTerry challenge would probably leave everyone satisfied until the next batch of info/screens/vids are released. It doesn't help that Konami are are pumping out the impressive PES2011 videos (2 vids and few teasers so far...) regularly. It only leads to assumptions from everyone, whether true or false.

The next big news and vids should come @ Gamescom. Infact it's a certainty @ Gamescom due to the public nature of the show. There's no hiding there.

This is only a small thing and may be hard to programme in but could we not see some movement around the pitch edge, the statuesque camera men and stuards etc, may as well not be there, they're as bad as the empty management bench...
I don't want to see them doing a jig but the odd movement or switching stance would be nice, always makes me wonder how they can have 500 people fighting a pich battle on horseback on screen, yet in football games it seems we have just passed the linesmen on the pitch barrier?...

Italian_Latest_News.jpg
Am I wrong or does Italy not start in September anymore?

Nick: A whole lot should be pumped into atmosphere of the game.

There's a lot they could do and I highly doubt it's down to hardware contraints (it's obviously time & money).

In this aspect Konami has always "got it" more than EA. From broadcast replay celebrations to the "fit" and pattern sharpness of the kits.

It really isn't that hard to improve atmosphere though. For instance, do you knnow why it felt better to bang in goals in World Cup 2010? Because they changed the sound of the ball hitting the net to something more realistic. A simple change. I hope they analyse other aspects like that (giving the long range thumping shots more "oomph" in the sound department would be a nice start).

/rant

edit: We were talking about menus earlier, I wonder what EA feel when they see this? http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Rahan07/IMAG0098.jpg?t=1279893432

That one menu screen is in a totally different level to the last few Fifa's.

Last edited:
English_Transfer_Offer-500x281.jpg

Can't see who the leading scorer is for other leagues, but you can see how many goals a possible transfer has.

Last edited:
Italian_Latest_News.jpg
Am I wrong or does Italy not start in September anymore?

It actually starts on August 28th, bizarrely enough. I think these screens are using placeholder data - there are a lot of similarities between each of them, such as the Benzema transfer stories.

There's a hell of a lot more detail going into the 22 players in a football match than the 500 or so onscreen. It takes a lot of effort for Konami or EA to eke any more room out of the game for low priority stuff like stewards. It's going to be a next gen thing if it happens, but even then I'd far prefer they focussed on getting the audio bang on, or getting a bit more life in the crowds.

I did see the subs bench was populated in replays FWIW. The bench was off-camera in-game.

As for Manager Mode being a poisoned chalice - I don't think it's about trumping FM. How many different FPS's are there, all of different balances of realism vs arcadiness, believability and fantasy. The point is that it gives context to what is otherwise a series of exhibition games. It's a story mode of sorts. They're not going to match FM, partly because FM almost got too deep for people to cope, but the more depth there is an the more closely integrated the campaign is to the matches, the more engrossing it is for the user.

Interesting, slightly unnerving thing in that preview - Pro Passing (the power bar bit I'd wager) is optional. It had better be set on by default, especially online...

Was hoping that was an error, or at least the simpler options are only available for offline.

I really liked that preview. He gave way more examples than any other of how the changes effect the actual gameplay.

The only thing I'm really worried about is whether the personality+ will be enough of a change to keep me hooked for 15 seasons in career mode, or even better until Fifa12.

Edit: In one of the interviews i saw of Rutter today he mumbled something about Pro Passing being optional. If it is i'll eb dissapopointed. They should go all or nothing at all. It also makes me wonder just why they'd put so much work into something the casual will just switch off after 5minutes of barely trying.

Last edited:
Slightly concerned that all the images of aerial challenges are only between 2 players. I've still not seen any evidence of multiple players challenging for high balls

Edit: In one of the interviews i saw of Rutter today he mumbled something about Pro Passing being optional. If it is i'll eb dissapopointed. They should go all or nothing at all. It also makes me wonder just why they'd put so much work into something the casual will just switch off after 5minutes of barely trying.

The three Ws.

Wait. What?! Where?!? I might go spare.

I've asked Phil Wride to answer this. It simply must be forced on for online ranked games.

My hope, if it's about inaccuracy, is that making it optional means they can crank the inaccuracy up more. But if it's made completely removable from all modes, or is set to off by default so it is as commonly used as manual passing, then I will go utterly apeshit at EA.

Today's been pretty shoddy as far as news is concerned. A real debacle.

Na, I'm not believing it to be true. It just can't be.

EA aren't naive enough to think people will opt to use Pro-passing over the traditional assisted, if they're both options. People are too competitive in the Fifa online world.

It can't be so can it?

They have been going on and on about how they wanted to stop ping pong passing. If they let people turn it off, then they are not stopping it at all. It just makes no sense.

I have been amazed (negatively) by some things that they have done in the past, but if this turns out to be true I will be flabagasted!

I am going to be fuming if the pro passing isnt set as default and online we have a debacle where 90% of players dont even have to switch it off. Ranked online games must have pro passing set as 'on' and no option to turn off. Its crazy that one of the main new features of a Fifa game is treated as some optional extra.

Game still has lots of potential, just bypass the ping-pong passing abusers by joining a community of players that plays on manual/pro-passing, there's plenty of them out there.

Unfortunately kids these days aren't used to challenging videogames which is why EA can't force pro-passing on them, they'd just reject the title altogether.

Also, be glad that they're bothering with contents for the hardcore fans at all, they could prolly sell just as many copies of the game with a fully assisted gameplay anyway.

Last edited:
No way Gary Paterson would do that. But Rutter is in charge and he is the one that don't want it do be too sim like. He said in an interview that they toned Pro Passing error down because he thought it was too much. It was probably very realistic...

Game still has lots of potential, just bypass the ping-pong passing abusers by joining a community of players that plays on manual/pro-passing.

Unfortunately kids these days aren't used to challenging videogames which is why EA can't force pro-passing on them, they'd just reject the title altogether.

The thing is, as I said before, the online community is too competitive and as it is now in Fifa 11/Fifa WC manual games are few and far between, I can't see it being any different with pro-passing if it isn't the standard.

I was seriously considering switching to pro-passing from manual myself, so it's easier to find matches.

The only way it will be more acceptable is if they give much much bigger points scores and Achievements if you use pro passing and manual. Then it might make more people use them.

Back
Top Bottom