Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Rob, you've misunderstood. I meant that the small marker that tells you whether you've weighted the pass correctly isn't in for lobs/crosses. Inaccuracy and attribute dependency affects every part of the game.

Danny, pro passing is not like the WC2010 penalty system. The marker isn't about composure and therfore accuracy. The marker represents ideal weighting. The only composure that relates to this concept is your own.

Do you think that Pro Passing -SHOULD- be a part of long balls? For that matter - is it in for throughballs (I'm sure you've said it is but I'm questioning that now for whatever reason).

Let us not forget that, alongside Pro Passing the super-accurate throughballs, chipped throughballs, and long balls are one of FIFA's worst parts - especially in Clubs where they wreak havoc with the moron defenders. As long as they are innaccurate that will be sufficient - but realistically.. why shouldn't Pro Passing be part of all of the types of passing.

Like sims 3 which sold millions in day 1?

Don't know what issue you are talking about. I stand by what I said. Many including you don't really undertand pc gamers at all. To think most play real pc games on say umm a inboard graphics card think again

Dude, I live in one of very few countries where PC gaming is still bigger than console gaming. And I know for a fact what kind of crappy computers people wants to play FIFA on. The Sims 3 is a bad example for you - the minimum requirements is still very low, actually mostly lower than even FIFA10 for PC.

If you want free passing why not use manual controls? They will too be prone to errors based on attributes.

I play on semi, but you misunderstood me.

The CPU needs to register where you're trying to play the ball, so the 'ideal weight' bar can be adjusted accordingly (i.e early or late in the power up bar). If you want to play a short ball into space, how will Pro Passing know if you're attempting long range or short range? The 'ideal weight' bar may be to the far right of the power up bar, when you only want a short amount of power to make the pass, meaning you 'miss' the 'ideal weight' bar and hit an inaccurate/bobbly pass.

romagnoli, have I got the right idea here or am I well off? Do you mind clearing up how it's implemented and which attributes effect it.

Danny - no. Underhitting a pass doesn't make it inaccurate or bobbly. Getting the weight bang on doesn't make it accurate or smooth along the turf. The marker is exclusively about passing weight. The best way to think of it is that all types of passing (as opposed to just long balls and crosses as previously, and yes it includes through balls) use a power bar. The marker for the ideal weight is just a user aid to help noobs learn how weighting a pass works. Directional inaccuracy has nothing to do with getting the weight ideal; it is tied to how much power you put into a pass just as it does with a shot (an 80% power pass will be more unruly than a 70% pass) but the little marker has zero relation to composure.

The marker doesn't come up for manual passes because the game doesn't have to deduce who you're trying to pass to. But you still have to weight your passes properly. With Semi/Assisted the marker comes up because the way those control schemes work requires the CPU to determine who you're trying to pass to, therefore it can use the distance from the passer to calculate an 'ideal' weight, and tell you after you've made the pass how you measured up to it. The game uses the passing power you give to deduce whether you're hitting the ball to the first player or the one behind him, in exactly the same way as with the current system (tap pass for nearest team-mate, hold pass for further one), with the CPU determining a cut-off point based on the distances the two players are away. So you can underhit to the further team mate or over-hit to the nearer one, but it's very unlikely you'll mean to hit it to one and instead hit it to the other.

But it's nothing to do with the WC2010 penalty composure system. The 'composure' comes from you thinking about what the correct weighting is, and your overall decision making which is clearly made more complex by having to think about who you're using, the state of the ball etc.

Rod - I might be using "Pro Passing" when I just mean the little passing weight indicator. ALL aspects of the game use attribute based error now. Long balls, through balls, lobs, ground passes, shots, headers, passing interception, tackling, positioning etc etc, have ALL been worked to use attribute dependency. It's not something they've just applied to passing - it's been applied to the game as a whole.

Last edited:

And also you can't see the marker when you're charging up the passing bar if I remember correctly, it only shows it after you're done. So it's not like with a penalty where you can see where to stop.

If you want to put a ball into space, I would assume that you put as much power on it as you would do if you're on manual settings, since the game doesn't lock on to anyone.

^^

To be fair I think the game does put a cap on the minimum power you can put on a pass. You can't tap X to hit a pass to someone 40 yards away and see the ball only roll 5 yards before stopping. It will get to the man, but it will take a very long time to do so, to the point that just tap-tap-tapping will lose any move you try and build a lot of momentum.

Like sims 3 which sold millions in day 1?

Don't know what issue you are talking about. I stand by what I said. Many including you don't really und

Dude, I live in one of very few countries where PC gaming is still bigger than console gaming. And I know for a fact what kind of crappy computers people wants to play FIFA on. The Sims 3 is a bad example for you - the minimum requirements is still very low, actually mostly lower than even FIFA10 for PC.

Mate pc gaming is all about advancing in graphics.how can you do that if you make a game cater for that netbook computer you own ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mate pc gaming is all about advancing in graphics.how can you do that if you make a game cater for that netbook computer you own ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

There is casual pc gaming and there is normal/hardcore pc gaming. Sims is a game aimed for casuals, it is not about advancing in graphics. Crysis and most other AAA titles are aimed for hardcore gamers with high end stationary computers. Sport games in general is the same as Sims, they don't have hardcore gamers as their main target.

If FIFA was offline only I think we would have seen a port much earlier. Thing is the game is depending on all AI and physics to sync completely, so they can't scale anything of that down. They probably have come to the conclusion that maybe a lot of casual gamers these days actually have a console so that porting the game won't be that bad for sales (even if people with crap computer can't play it) because they could advance in sales by converting a lot of PC PES players and keep everyone that already have an OK computer.

^^

To be fair I think the game does put a cap on the minimum power you can put on a pass. You can't tap X to hit a pass to someone 40 yards away and see the ball only roll 5 yards before stopping. It will get to the man, but it will take a very long time to do so, to the point that just tap-tap-tapping will lose any move you try and build a lot of momentum.
Did you notice if you could knock the ball and run on to to it, not push the right sick but actually knock it past a man into space and run on to it?...

There is casual pc gaming and there is normal/hardcore pc gaming. Sims is a game aimed for casuals, it is not about advancing in graphics. Crysis and most other AAA titles are aimed for hardcore gamers with high end stationary computers. Sport games in general is the same as Sims, they don't have hardcore gamers as their main target.

I wouldn't say that necessarily - management games are certainly aimed at the hardcore - and so are almost all driving games - and those are certainly 'sports'. Sims is aimed at a very different market to a game like FIFA in any case - for one it's aimed also at that other gender I hear so much about.

FIFA, and PES are games which span the whole range. There are no football simulation games like there are driving sims like rFactor - so naturally the hardcore footy gamers are all going to be in FIFA/PES's paddock no matter what. FIFA and PES are more akin to a game like Gran Turismo than anything - they are realistic to a point - and they aim to be realistic to a point... but they also have to be conscious of the fact that the largest part of their fanbase is largely made up of casual football fans. The graphics will be pushed to the limit (not necessarily of the hardware but of the time constraints and financial constraints) of the console.

But the ultimate truth is that PC gaming is both dying - and to an extent has also been reborn. It's not quite what it was. There are few PC games which really go beyond what the best console games can do - certainly Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, and so forth are graphically monstrous and I'm not sure if even Crysis can push quite the same graphics. PC gaming survives in niches, primarily. Indepedent developers produce some great games - and strategy games still survive on the PC because they don't on the consoles. Shooters are in the balance - MW2 which was undoubtedly the most popular game of this generation (outside of given-away-for-free wii shovel ware) didn't even use dedicated servers.

The populations are steadily moving from one to the other, one genre after the next. The big hits are all on the console now aside from those hyper-hardcore simulation games, or games which still cannot come up with good enough control mechanisms for consoles (like strategy games). Crysis 2 is multiplatform. The Battlefield franchise is multiplatform. More and more games which are on PC and consoles will be LIKE console games on the PC - making modding hard, dedicated servers being rarer.

On the consoles, the hardcore population who wants sims will have to push to get them. It's happening, albeit it slowly. One of the biggest issues for console gaming is that because there is no modding community licensing becomes key. A development opportunity worth paying for the license is going to have to pull in a large number of sales to justify it - so a licensed game, which will be almost any driving/sports game which wants to be popular, will HAVE to take into account the casual gamers.

I wouldn't say that necessarily - management games are certainly aimed at the hardcore - and so are almost all driving games - and those are certainly 'sports'. Sims is aimed at a very different market to a game like FIFA in any case - for one it's aimed also at that other gender I hear so much about.

FIFA, and PES are games which span the whole range. There are no football simulation games like there are driving sims like rFactor - so naturally the hardcore footy gamers are all going to be in FIFA/PES's paddock no matter what. FIFA and PES are more akin to a game like Gran Turismo than anything - they are realistic to a point - and they aim to be realistic to a point... but they also have to be conscious of the fact that the largest part of their fanbase is largely made up of casual football fans. The graphics will be pushed to the limit (not necessarily of the hardware but of the time constraints and financial constraints) of the console.

But the ultimate truth is that PC gaming is both dying - and to an extent has also been reborn. It's not quite what it was. There are few PC games which really go beyond what the best console games can do - certainly Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, and so forth are graphically monstrous and I'm not sure if even Crysis can push quite the same graphics. PC gaming survives in niches, primarily. Indepedent developers produce some great games - and strategy games still survive on the PC because they don't on the consoles. Shooters are in the balance - MW2 which was undoubtedly the most popular game of this generation (outside of given-away-for-free wii shovel ware) didn't even use dedicated servers.

The populations are steadily moving from one to the other, one genre after the next. The big hits are all on the console now aside from those hyper-hardcore simulation games, or games which still cannot come up with good enough control mechanisms for consoles (like strategy games). Crysis 2 is multiplatform. The Battlefield franchise is multiplatform. More and more games which are on PC and consoles will be LIKE console games on the PC - making modding hard, dedicated servers being rarer.

On the consoles, the hardcore population who wants sims will have to push to get them. It's happening, albeit it slowly. One of the biggest issues for console gaming is that because there is no modding community licensing becomes key. A development opportunity worth paying for the license is going to have to pull in a large number of sales to justify it - so a licensed game, which will be almost any driving/sports game which wants to be popular, will HAVE to take into account the casual gamers.

I never said that FIFA doesn't have hardcore football gamers as their target, of course they have. I said they don't have "gamers" as their main target, just as Sims doesn't have "gamers" as their target either (they have hardcore virtual dollhouse gamers? I don't know).

I never said that FIFA doesn't have hardcore football gamers as their target, of course they have. I said they don't have "gamers" as their main target, just as Sims doesn't have "gamers" as their target either (they have hardcore virtual dollhouse gamers? I don't know).

Define "gamers" because anyone that plays any "game" often enough are "gamers". Plus have you even played sims 3? if you have you will realize that it is a bit of a demanding game. it cannot be played on a low end machine because of the better graphical improvements as well as a dynamic AI living and breathing town that's MORE advance than a football game.

Jsus, how long are we going to have this pc talk stuff?!

PES 2010 platform sales breakdown revealed.

While PES 2010 didn’t manage to match its predecessor’s launch week sales figures, selling 39% less in its first week on sale on the same number of formats (PS3, Xbox 360 and PC), it did continue the trend of performing better on the PS3, claiming 66% of PES 2010’s sales on that platform, as the Xbox 360 managed 32% of the sales, and the PC a mere 2%.

So for pes, which is a good measure for how fifa will do, with the pc vesion of PES being arguably the best one it still only has a 2% marketshare.

Last edited:

Did you notice if you could knock the ball and run on to to it, not push the right sick but actually knock it past a man into space and run on to it?...

You mean using the pass button to knock it on and run? Didn't try tbh. I don't know if it'd work with assisted controls (at least not reliably) but it might be feasible with manual controls.

Well, the issue is that FIFA is bought by as many (or more) non-gamers.

Not even. For the casuals they would just get FIFA online. People that play games on PC are not casuals. It's impossible for them to be casual when PC gaming requires you to know your stuff about PC specs and the $$$ to spend.

It's not a difficult skill ant0n. Anyone can do it. It's shooting but not at the goal. Whether you get it on target is the hard part.

Jsus, how long are we going to have this pc talk stuff?!

So for pes, which is a good measure for how fifa will do, with the pc vesion of PES being arguably the best one it still only has a 2% marketshare.

PES wasnt a great game to begin with anyway. Either way, if you port fifa 11 to the pc making an identical version i am 101% certain sales will double compared to fifa 10 pc numbers

Not even. For the casuals they would just get FIFA online. People that play games on PC are not casuals. It's impossible for them to be casual when PC gaming requires you to know your stuff about PC specs and the $$$ to spend.

yup exactly. running sims 3 for example and using the create a world editor was not built for casual gamers.

Casual gamers are console gamers normally. there is not many casual gamers on pc's.

PES wasnt a great game to begin with anyway. Either way, if you port fifa 11 to the pc making an identical version i am 101% certain sales will double compared to fifa 10 pc numbers

Judging by the FIFA 10 PC figures I heard, if you bought FIFA 11 on PC the numbers probably would double.

exactly. fifa 10 pc was pants. i would be surprised if even more then 10 people bought that game. make it identical to the console version and im sure it will sell close to a million easily

EA needs to add for Spanish the extra "personality traits" of card waving.
Spanish footballers are brilliant but they're disgrace in terms of behavior (not saying the Dutch were clean btw)

It's not a difficult skill ant0n. Anyone can do it. It's shooting but not at the goal. Whether you get it on target is the hard part.

Exactly.The Crux of the matter is getting it on target. Now can Jerome Boateng hit a Gerrard pass accurately in FIFA? It's the question I should have asked I guess.

Last edited:

So Fifa 11 pc will be identical like console version ? ,,Next-gen,, doesnt mean that game will be identical . hmmm ?

Exactly.The Crux of the matter is getting it on target. Now can Jerome Boateng hit a Gerrard pass accurately in FIFA? It's the question I should have asked I guess.
Not sure Jerome Boateng is the best example as his delivery has been pretty impressive for Germany (just as Wolves have a very good passer in David Jones).

It depends on their long passing attribute. There's a lot more to the bouncing lob than just Gerrard passes - it's not just a way of drilling the ball 60 yards or so. You can use it to hit what is essentially a harder ground pass that bounces along the turf. But for long range passing to be on target you'll need to have good long passing, particularly sun drilling the ball across.

Back
Top Bottom