Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

How is modifying the formation in PES different to editing a formation in FIFA? From what I remember from the demo, you grab a dot and slide it around, possibly being prompted to change the role. Sounds the same to me, maybe I didn't look at it for long enough. Tactics also use the same slider-based arrangement in both titles.

How is modifying the formation in PES different to editing a formation in FIFA? From what I remember from the demo, you grab a dot and slide it around, possibly being prompted to change the role. Sounds the same to me, maybe I didn't look at it for long enough. Tactics also use the same slider-based arrangement in both titles.

I think you answered your own question there.

While the basic premise and methods of adjusting tactics is similar in both titles, Konami have implemented a very intuitive and simple tactics UI in PES2011 that puts it well ahead of FIFA. It's simple enough for the casual player yet offers much more depth for those that want it with only a few simple button presses.

And the best thing about the tactics in PES is that even the smallest changes make a noticeable difference. But that's another discussion entirely.:))

Exactly. It's seriously powerful (not least because smallish movements have significant effects on how a player plays a position), as well as extremely quick.

I don't know if Impossible is just being obtuse for the sake of it or if it's a language thing. I'll come back to it when I'm not posting from my phone.

It's the language barrier! Don't worry, it's his 3rd language i think, so i believe he does mean well i think he just misinterprets things.

i dont even know what the word obtuse means :PIG:

i thought we almost had the same opinion, my standpoint is that tutorials wudnt change much, and he thinks different bout it

all the rest we are the same opinion dont we?!

This seems to have passed largely under the radar:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...nd-match-day-atmosphere-on-improvements-list/

FIFA creative director Gary Paterson told the all-new edition of CVG sister mag PSM3 that the title's gameplay is getting "harder and harder to improve on".

Does he really believe that the gameplay is that close to perfection? Or is that the title is getting closer to the pinaccle of what can be achieved with the current gen?

If they do believe it, we may as well give up now.

Riche

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...nd-match-day-atmosphere-on-improvements-list/

Does he really believe that the gameplay is that close to perfection? Or is that the title is getting closer to the pinaccle of what can be achieved with the current gen?

Riche

Basically what we need is for FIFA to crash and burn, and a new dev team put in place. Because it appears that Rutter, Patterson, and the current team have their heads so far up their own asses they can't see how poor the underlying fundamentals of the game are.

That might be overly harsh, and trust me, I hope I'm proved wrong because no one wants a quality football game more than I, but FIFA has returned to its roots of being designed to be an arcade-like pick-up-and-play video game first and a football game second.

FIFA might be fun. It might even be a good video game. Hell, I imagine for a quite a few out there it's a great video game. But it is not football.

Maybe he just means sales?

What'd be nice is if the reviewers played the game for more than 20 minutes, so they'd notice the massive flaws hiding underneath the lovely exterior. Then Rutter's vaunted metascore would take a hit, and maybe make them think...

I'm going to give Gary the benefit of the doubt and hope that he's talking about technical limitations rather than speaking from a belief that they're close to perfection.

Apparently there's a post-transfer-window squad update coming... Remember that thing they talked about pre-release where (iirc) they said they could include gameplay balancing changes within squad updates to avoid being restricted to patches?

Anyone think that might happen? No, me neither.

I play Pro Evo mostly. I hated the FIFA 11 demo my son brought over the game a few weeks ago and thought it played eons better than the demo. Picked it up on sale on Amazon and find myself really liking the game.
The right stick knock on needs to be added by Konami I think it's great. Graphics are better and the cameras are nice not to mention the kits and stadia. While I do not abuse the sprint button it is nice that it's there. All in all I like both games. Maybe I haven't played FIFA long enough to hate it yet.

I agree that playing to match your Custom Tactics will help, but I don't believe that subtle tweaks here and there make any significant difference.

The way I'm playing at the moment is: if I want to keep the ball and the opponent is not pressuring hard, I'll switch to Possession. If the opposing team is pushing up and applying pressure, I'll switch to Counter Attack (and maybe decrease mentality if I'm protecting a lead). If I need to take the game to them and be more aggressive, I'll switch to High Pressure. Not convinced that anything inbetween these 'poles' is worthwhile fiddling with.

To be honest, online the tactic of choice is Team Pressing. And it makes a huge amount of difference because of the way pressure and aggression are handled in the game. Using Team Press with an already naturally fast/strong/aggressive team makes the game a complete nightmare. Couple that to defensive mentalities and 6-0-4 formations and you have a rather depressing game. Then play against five people in a row doing that.

Riche

I'm fairly confident Rich that he is referring to the technology. From discussions in Canada it was made apparent that they are very close to what they can do each cpu cycle in terms of delivering Visuals, AI, Audio, Control/Input and maintain a frame rate.

So basically to add lots more to the AI another process would have to give up some of its resources (at run time on the console) to free up the memory/cpu cycles.

I actually believe this after seeing the horrendous shadows in GT5 as there was no more processor resource left after loading the tracks and mediocre AI :)

Although with new methods or re-factoring things its not impossible as with anything they will get better and smarter working with the hardware and how they program for it over time.

I'm fairly confident Rich that he is referring to the technology. From discussions in Canada it was made apparent that they are very close to what they can do each cpu cycle in terms of delivering Visuals, AI, Audio, Control/Input and maintain a frame rate.

So basically to add lots more to the AI another process would have to give up some of its resources (at run time on the console) to free up the memory/cpu cycles.

I actually believe this after seeing the horrendous shadows in GT5 as there was no more processor resource left after loading the tracks and mediocre AI :)

Although with new methods or re-factoring things its not impossible as with anything they will get better and smarter working with the hardware and how they program for it over time.

That sounds far more likely to me. I'm sure I read an interview with G.P where he talked about the things they'd like to do with AI but weren't able to with the technology used during the current gen.

Still, I hope they can add a little more variety in terms of the offensive capabilites of the AI (teammates and opposition). The defensive side has improved in FIFA 11 when compared to 10 - players cover back etc, although midfielders will annoying stand and watch the defence struggle 4 on 2 etc. Other things have cropped up like players on your own team standing in your way when you carry the ball forward etc.. I'm sure they are easier to fix.

I guess it's case of being able to get the balance right. :)

Riche

Was the scan of the page of the article posted anywhere? Generally he does talk about the differences in opinion between the hardcore and the casual crowds. In that context it does sound more like he means the technical challenge than the gameplay being near perfect.

Was the scan of the page of the article posted anywhere? Generally he does talk about the differences in opinion between the hardcore and the casual crowds. In that context it does sound more like he means the technical challenge than the gameplay being near perfect.

I've looked about for it, but haven't had any joy. If someone has a link to it, would be much appreciated. :)

Riche

Was just reminded of something and wondered if any of you have noticed;

Have EA actually used their game patching system with the squad updates? You would hope they have read the huge amount of critism defending and match balance has got and actually edit the system settings for a better game post 24feb.

Back
Top Bottom