Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

At the very least, if EA are to continue to ignore (assuming they do) I don't think their claim to being the listening nice guys should be left intact.

They're full of shit and don't care we know it, prime example being Ian Jarvis producer of the PC version, August 2010 he proudly boasts that for 11's PC MM they took the bug list from Fifa10, fixed everything bar three minor ones from the list and he promised to post the list along with how they addressed each and every bug, Fifa11 comes out, numerous bug reports related to MM which are bugs dating back to Fifa10, shortlist bug, contract bug, assistant manager bug etc. etc.

November and he still hasn't posted the promised list, I started a thread "FAO Ian Jarvis, where's the promised fixed bug list?" posted details quoting his promise and the thread he posted it in and asked when he would be posting it, not a single reply.

I know what you mean. I saw fast and furious tokyo drift at the cinema.

It sucked and it cost me 20 quid.

:)

Just sell it on eBay it will make near launch money (£25)

If I'm dominating the game but failing to convert that control into chances, goals and points, then I need to find ways of becoming better at doing so. Cursing EA doesn't alter the scoreline, at least not when I've tried it.

This is true. But it is only half of the truth. True, I need to get better at finishing - with manual controls I'll sometimes waste golden opportunities that I can't afford to do. There are other things I need to improve on as well, like sometimes I find myself not being patient enough, trying to score now, forcing it, rather than play the ball around and wait for a better opening.

That however does not change that this game isn't perfect and favors the defensive side of the game this year. I am dominating in all areas of the pitch except the final third and in all other statistics goals. The fact of the matter is that FIFA's shortcomings are at their worst in the final third of the pitch, where because of it being more crowded and compact, issues like unrealistic player movement and responsiveness, the drawbacks of manual passing, overly effective tackling animations are compounded and at their worst.

I have no problems with losing but with my current CM record - 9th in France's Ligue 2 with one game left in my first season - you would think that my season would've been a mixture of a variety of match experiences, with highs and lows, but I played not a single match that you would say I deserved to lose based on the run of play. I want to be challenged, I want to lose, but when I lose I want it to (overall) feel deserved rather than dominating without scoring and giving up a header against the run of play. I want to be dominated by the CPU at times, yet I rarely finish with less than 60 percent possession. Almost all goals scored against me by the CPU are against the run of play!

There's certainly areas I can improve but gameplay should still be better balanced so that over the course of a season in CM in which I finish midtable, I should feel as if I deserved that position. If it's not better balanced, FIFA 12 would greatly benefit from having separate offensive and defensive difficulty settings.

Last edited:
If I'm dominating the game but failing to convert that control into chances, goals and points, then I need to find ways of becoming better at doing so. Cursing EA doesn't alter the scoreline, at least not when I've tried it.

And the ways of doing so do not draw from an understanding of football, all the while underlining the problems with the gameplay, the balancing of pass speed/agility vs player speed/agility. Together with the poor differentiation between one defence and another, one attack and another, this stops the 'learning' process from being immersive or varied.

Hence the problem.

A couple thoughts:

EA Sports NCAA Football 11, which granted has been out since July, has had THREE patches and FOUR "Live Tuning Pack" updates (http://www.pastapadre.com/category/football/ncaa-football).

How awesome do these Live Tuning Packages sound:
NEW FOR NCAA FOOTBALL 11 -- LIVE TUNING PACKAGES

A number of you have already noticed that we do a check for "Online Gameplay Tuning" when connecting to our online servers. Some of you may also have found a new "Tuning" category in the Files menu. This is a new technology for NCAA Football 11 that allows us to not only live update and tune core gameplay parameters -- like fumbles, throw accuracy, and juke success ratings -- but it also allows us to rebalance certain core features such as recruiting logic, blocking, even control the intensity of shadows cast by the football on a sunny day!

These new Live Tuning Packages (LTPs) contain literally 1000's of key parameters which drive the heart of our game; parameters that live well below the level of specific player or team ratings. With our new LTPs we can often turn changes around in a few days. It can't solve everything, and some issues will still require a traditional client update, but for many items it's definitely a more powerful and faster strategy for tuning throughout the season.

Oh, by the way that quote comes from this "Thank You" blog post by the Executive Producer of the game AFTER the game's release: http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=ThankYou

Last time I checked FIFA is EA's biggest sports franchise. What's with the disparity in attention given to the two games? EA_Rom in the patch thread defended EA the other day by saying how complicated designing FIFA games are relative to the other sports. To that I say the difference in sales should dictate greater - and sufficient - resources.

Then I was also thinking, how come there aren't articles out there on FIFA like these:

http://bitmob.com/articles/ten-reasons-i-love-and-hate-cod-black-ops

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/367625/call_duty_black_ops_gets_slammed_across_web_by_gamers/

And the ways of doing so do not draw from an understanding of football, all the while underlining the problems with the gameplay, the balancing of pass speed/agility vs player speed/agility. Together with the poor differentiation between one defence and another, one attack and another, this stops the 'learning' process from being immersive or varied.

Hence the problem.

As usual you said it better than I could. dammit.

Last edited:

Hence the problem.

This.

I get so tired of the "practice and get better at the game" or the "the game lets you play any way you like, so take a different approach" responses when people complain about the game's shortcomings.

Something's up when so many people have this issue where they dominate the proceedings and still lose the game 2-0. It's almost too obvious that there's an overemphasis on defense in the final third and those who don't see it as an issue probably like the drilled lob, finesse shot, and of course assisted controls (among other "techniques" completely unrelated to football).

I get so tired of the "practice and get better at the game" or the "the game lets you play any way you like, so take a different approach" responses when people complain about the game's shortcomings...

...but there's still some truth behind! Since I've started to play FIFA11 I did several restarts (changed difficulties from WC to legend and back, changed controls from semi/manual to manual)
I even started to play PES2011 once in a while (can't find no love for it: scored a screamer in my very first match. Just to receive one of the worst goals against me ever. It must have been 3 keeper errors in a row)

Several times I've been close to quit playing football games this season (as I did with FIFA/PES08)

Finally I've found my setup: full manual / worldclass. There are still frustrating moments, but there's even more satisfaction and freedom.

The learning curve/investment is very high, though.

Last edited:
Yup. I find that changing the controls and settings in FIFA always gives it another few weeks to a month before you get settled and find annoyances in the new setup.

It's not a case of being blind to an issue or of believing that it's well balanced. The game is just how it is. Continuing to get annoyed with it when you know what the 'rules' are seems futile to me.

We know that defences have been tightened up and are harder to break down, whether fairly or not... so relax and take on the challenge of finding ways to do so. Even if you feel that overall it's more 'gamey' than 'footbally', there are still football methods that can give you a helping hand.

Last week I lost a CM match at home to Blackburn. Pedersen whipped an unstoppable free-kick into the top corner early on, and after that Rovers got ten men behind the ball to shut me out. Tough. I should have been more efficient at creating and taking chances. Their 'Tactician' CDM completely closed off the pass into my target man all game, I should have adapted to that sooner. In hindsight, their mediocre fullbacks were perhaps a weakness I should have exploited more aggressively. There are plenty of things I could have done differently, right down to not conceding fouls in Pedersen-land. I require a stronger gameplan next time, and even if I do, I'll still need to do the right thing at the right time to make it count.

I'm all for providing feedback on how the game could/should be better balanced, but right now it is the way it is, and the way it is does not prevent me from finding ways to get one over on virtual Allardyce. That's the way I look at it, anyway.

A couple thoughts:

EA Sports NCAA Football 11, which granted has been out since July, has had THREE patches and FOUR "Live Tuning Pack" updates (http://www.pastapadre.com/category/football/ncaa-football).

How awesome do these Live Tuning Packages sound:

Oh, by the way that quote comes from this "Thank You" blog post by the Executive Producer of the game AFTER the game's release: http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=ThankYou

Last time I checked FIFA is EA's biggest sports franchise. What's with the disparity in attention given to the two games? EA_Rom in the patch thread defended EA the other day by saying how complicated designing FIFA games are relative to the other sports. To that I say the difference in sales should dictate greater - and sufficient - resources.

Then I was also thinking, how come there aren't articles out there on FIFA like these:

http://bitmob.com/articles/ten-reasons-i-love-and-hate-cod-black-ops

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/367625/call_duty_black_ops_gets_slammed_across_web_by_gamers/

As usual you said it better than I could. dammit.

The NHL series gets the same great treatment as NCAA.

Only one patch though, but this is an example of a REAL patch: http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/nhl-11-patch-notes

It also gets tuning updates for gameplay, six of them so far.
And each of them have a changelist longer than the one for the FIFA patch.

Like i said on the last page, all i see here is people going round in circles!

I agree thought with his. Enough of this thing where people condesne the game massively

'Use this setup here, no use of pressure, only use full manual, world class/legendary, edit custom tactics reduce pressure for all teams.

This gives you a direct change in the gameplay feel in which you think. Wow thats great!

only for you to find two weeks later, your back to square 1. Because that instant change for the better has worn off after the 30 game playing vs the AI in which the do the same shit over and over again!

Do not bang your head against a wall like i used to do with FIFA! Just play the game how it's supposed to be played, when you get frustrated, leave it!

I can understand why people who have no alternative hold that view - 'you get what you're given, make do'. But I've no interest in spending time with the game out of obligation. The problems with the balancing, particularly in single player, are the sorts of things that are the meat and drink of how I play football games.

If it wasn't for Clubs I wouldn't play this at all - which is why I sympathise very much with the X360 lot who have struggled to connect to/stay connected to matches for the duration. I have a football game in my PS3 right now that I am happier spending my time with, and this is the time of year when dozens of great non-football titles come out. So why should I force myself to pretend that beating Blackburn feels or plays any differently to beating any other side in the game when it just doesn't?

It's not a case of being blind to an issue or of believing that it's well balanced. The game is just how it is. Continuing to get annoyed with it when you know what the 'rules' are seems futile to me.

We know that defences have been tightened up and are harder to break down, whether fairly or not... so relax and take on the challenge of finding ways to do so. Even if you feel that overall it's more 'gamey' than 'footbally', there are still football methods that can give you a helping hand.

Last week I lost a CM match at home to Blackburn. Pedersen whipped an unstoppable free-kick into the top corner early on, and after that Rovers got ten men behind the ball to shut me out. Tough. I should have been more efficient at creating and taking chances. Their 'Tactician' CDM completely closed off the pass into my target man all game, I should have adapted to that sooner. In hindsight, their mediocre fullbacks were perhaps a weakness I should have exploited more aggressively. There are plenty of things I could have done differently, right down to not conceding fouls in Pedersen-land. I require a stronger gameplan next time, and even if I do, I'll still need to do the right thing at the right time to make it count.

I'm all for providing feedback on how the game could/should be better balanced, but right now it is the way it is, and the way it is does not prevent me from finding ways to get one over on virtual Allardyce. That's the way I look at it, anyway.

This is my approach as well. I share in the frustrations over FIFA's shortcomings, but I'd rather spend the small free time I have nowadays enjoying overcoming the challenge of the game in front of me than worry over mostly tangential game quality issues that I have no control over.

I'd like FIFA to be of a higher standard, especially the career mode where I play nearly 100% of my time. However, it is still a very good game, and a pretty good depiction of the sport that I love so I play it.

Obviously, if a better footy game comes along, that's what I'll play so EA needs to continue to build. If it wasn't for the bugs (most of which don't affect anything on the field) this game would probably be hands down the best footy game ever. EA needs to fix those bugs (some reappearing each year) and really flesh out the Career mode to have FIFA reach its peak.

This isn't that unlike the growing pains of the NBA2K series. Solid foundation early on, several hit or miss years trying to refine the game play and modes, then finally having a year (this year) where it all comes together in an absolutely fantastic package. Hopefully, FIFA will develop to a similar pinnacle.

I play on manual and I don't have any generic way up exposing the defense in the last third. It is possible to do it using realistic footballing techniques i.e dragging the defense out of position, perfectly timed runs, exposing a weakness, or more spectacular ways such as beating one or two defenders on the dribble, long shots, or inch perfect passes and countless other ways. All of those possibilities considered, while trying to apply a manual version of personality plus is quite a bit for the mind to compute and makes a damn good game. For me it's an extremely satisfying challenge and it takes work, but for most it seems that a realistic football game means to watch a game and then be able to turn on your console and do it in the game effortlessly.

This.
Something's up when so many people have this issue where they dominate the proceedings and still lose the game 2-0. It's almost too obvious that there's an overemphasis on defense in the final third and those who don't see it as an issue probably like the drilled lob, finesse shot, and of course assisted controls (among other "techniques" completely unrelated to football).

How often do we hear commentators say it's going to take that exceptional moment or piece of skill to break down a team that is defending deeply. If you can't produce that extraordinary moment then you shouldn't be keeping possession. Sit back and invite the other team to come which in turn will give you much more space in their half when you are attacking. Incidentally, it will give the CPU possession which so many complain about the absence of. It's not a stunt, it's a formidable tactical decision. One that seems many are clearly falling victim to themselves! Teams that are not good enough do just that, not because they have to, but because they know that is their best chance of winning. They just don't have the technique and team chemistry it takes to be outnumbered and still break through the opposition. Either do what they do (to whatever balance you deem necessary) or else learn how to break down the other team, and their are countless ways you can do that.
Anyone who has learned anything worthwhile knows you have to put in a lot of effort, and go through plateaus and moments where you think their is no light at the end of the tunnel, but if you persist you overcome. I have no problems with the defensive intensity and I still consider my self a novice at best. I'm at a point where I feel very little pressure on the ball. When I'm in my stride, one on one, I feel as though the defender is vulnerable, and two on one I still feel comfortable enough and composed enough to keep possession, protect the ball, make a safe pass, wait for a runner, or even take on both defenders. Every couple sessions I grow in composure.

what makes this game that much sweeter is that I go through spells, their are times when my brain simply crashes and I lose focus and lose the plot. I notice I am starting to pass the ball aimlessly without intent or foresight. When this happens I know to be more direct offensively (relying on star player, long balls, early crosses, etc.) or against a better team I go defensive. When clarity returns and I start to get into a rhythm again, I pick up the offensive pressure. This is the only football game where I have ever felt the need to do that and it adds another dimension of realism.

Another thing I have realized is that only in an organized system can creativity shine through. Creativity is not to just go into a game without a system or game-plan and play off of impulse. Creativity usually comes into effect when you have a system in place (with roles clearly defined offensively and defensively) and then break or alter that system temporarily, at times deliberately and at times spontaneously.

By the way in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, when trying to take the ball on your chest with your back to goal hold the sprint button without any direction as if to shield the ball. This prevents the defender from barging through you. Bin doing this for weeks so its tried and tested.

I play on manual and I don't have any generic way up exposing the defense in the last third. It is possible to do it using realistic footballing techniques i.e dragging the defense out of position, perfectly timed runs, exposing a weakness, or more spectacular ways such as beating one or two defenders on the dribble, long shots, or inch perfect passes and countless other ways. All of those possibilities considered, while trying to apply a manual version of personality plus is quite a bit for the mind to compute and makes a damn good game. For me it's an extremely satisfying challenge and it takes work, but for most it seems that a realistic football game means to watch a game and then be able to turn on your console and do it in the game effortlessly.

How often do we hear commentators say it's going to take that exceptional moment or piece of skill to break down a team that is defending deeply. If you can't produce that extraordinary moment then you shouldn't be keeping possession. Sit back and invite the other team to come which in turn will give you much more space in their half when you are attacking. Incidentally, it will give the CPU possession which so many complain about the absence of. It's not a stunt, it's a formidable tactical decision. One that seems many are clearly falling victim to themselves! Teams that are not good enough do just that, not because they have to, but because they know that is their best chance of winning. They just don't have the technique and team chemistry it takes to be outnumbered and still break through the opposition. Either do what they do (to whatever balance you deem necessary) or else learn how to break down the other team, and their are countless ways you can do that.
Anyone who has learned anything worthwhile knows you have to put in a lot of effort, and go through plateaus and moments where you think their is no light at the end of the tunnel, but if you persist you overcome. I have no problems with the defensive intensity and I still consider my self a novice at best. I'm at a point where I feel very little pressure on the ball. When I'm in my stride, one on one, I feel as though the defender is vulnerable, and two on one I still feel comfortable enough and composed enough to keep possession, protect the ball, make a safe pass, wait for a runner, or even take on both defenders. Every couple sessions I grow in composure.

what makes this game that much sweeter is that I go through spells, their are times when my brain simply crashes and I lose focus and lose the plot. I notice I am starting to pass the ball aimlessly without intent or foresight. When this happens I know to be more direct offensively (relying on star player, long balls, early crosses, etc.) or against a better team I go defensive. When clarity returns and I start to get into a rhythm again, I pick up the offensive pressure. This is the only football game where I have ever felt the need to do that and it adds another dimension of realism.

Another thing I have realized is that only in an organized system can creativity shine through. Creativity is not to just go into a game without a system or game-plan and play off of impulse. Creativity usually comes into effect when you have a system in place (with roles clearly defined offensively and defensively) and then break or alter that system temporarily, at times deliberately and at times spontaneously.

By the way in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, when trying to take the ball on your chest with your back to goal hold the sprint button without any direction as if to shield the ball. This prevents the defender from barging through you. Bin doing this for weeks so its tried and tested.

Your new to fifa right?

Just the enthusiasm is all ok, just i can do all of what you say above, but i found the game very easy on the demo just setting the pressure to the max, easy dis possessing the ridiculous AI and i was able to on the demo beat Barcelona using Leverkusen, Full manual even on legendary! That's juts a two minute demo where i can barely get a proper macth.

I didn't enjoy it, i don't enjoy beating the AI because this game isn't balanced well in any way!

with me at least it's not i can't play fifa, along with many other people in my position, it's that when we do win, or lose every now and again, we just don't enjoy it! Main thing when you understand what the game does and simulates, its just totally kills it for you.

Lack of individuality means you have in my opinion too much unrealistic freedom to do what you want and create the same plays over, and over and over again! You never have to really study your players and what strengths and weaknesses they have, then structure tactics and a formation to suit them. Just as long as you know than the most effective and easy way to score is mainly from counters or just crosses the CPU simply can't defend against.

Also i think the people who have loads of possession but can't score, it's simple, they being too creative. the same is about scoring from the same angles over and over again! The game gives you a good illusion it's about freedom from it's responsiveness and fluidity but really it's just about scoring those same goals

sisko-facepalm.gif

I'm thinking of recommending they announce that FIFA 12 is the most dribblingest, rainbow flickingest, blingestest football game in existence. 100 new cool tricks, every single football boot in recorded history and the craziest bicycle kick goals you will ever see.

Then put thousands of flies in the case, use one of those talking birthday card chips to play the sound of thousands of animals in distress. Are people vaccinated against all strains of smallpox?

Now this is interesting. I actually quite like those videos.

They are all online goals, all top teams and they highlight the fact people don't understand how to defend.

Also, its a very very small percentage of people that can play like that video consistently.

But much more importantly while there is a certain lack of realism the fun, wow and cool factor is pretty high. Sure not a man of my age's thing but I can really see why a 16 year old would want to do all of that stuff.

I can see it now, get in from playing real football turn on your games console put your FIFA game in and go have fun.

I can't remember the last time goal of the month was 4 people bundling the ball over the line from a ropey miss hit corner.

Those videos are more fun to watch and play than 17 passes between the back 4.

Sigh.

I just like the fact that there are kids out there making cool well edited videos. Better than the usual stupid cat crap on YouTube.

Placebo your paranoia is bordering on unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom