FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

So I got fired and then took up a position at another club but it started a new season.

So you can't take a new managerial post midway through a season?

Apparently it's like that now. That's what a couple other people said too.

Was news to me.

Have to say that after a week of CM I'm finding the matches to be real slogs. The game is unbalanced imo, nothing new there, but passing speed vs running speed it too similar meaning you can't really create much space with good passing anyway and the running speed is too similar between players combined with the lock-on defending that you never really get free.

I'm finding my games to be a constant loop of;
- passing around in midfield,
- seeing a player free ahead
- passing to him but the combination of the pass being slow, the sprint defending and the lack of strength to maintain possesion means,
- they are countering again
- which is easily stopped, even without using any buttons and only timing
- and you back to passing in midfield again

The game definitly has some meaningfull improvements, but they seem to have taken a few steps back whilst doing it and it's left the game to be more frustrating imo. And yet I find myself also enjoying it sporadically when finally a passing move actually works and isn't stopped by slowness of unfair speed and strenght. I just don't think it happens enough. Will hopefully have PES tommorow so can give that a decent spin and give a final verdict next week.

I know what you mean Tik, and your "constant loop" description is great. It's ironic that despite for all the "freedom" within FIFA it can become tedious and boring.

I do believe EA need to increase passing speed, especially for manual passing, though I never thought about passing speed in relation to player movement, so nice analysis. Quick players are still not quite quick enough for me, especially relative to defenders, and the game is too unbalanced in favor of tackling imo. Like you said, the game certainly has its moments though.

I wouldn't pass any final verdicts yet until the game is patched/updated. Might be a while until they get to gameplay tweaks with all the critical bugs and online issues, but I'm trying to remain optimistic that EA will work on some of the game's unbalances in gameplay.

Yeah the passing speed relative to the running speed is too similar. I've noticed this a lot when playing short passes in midfield from CM to RM, I've barely controlled the ball with the RM but the player that was pressuring my CM is already on my back at RM within the space of a single pass. And I'm playing without passingpower so that should mean they are at their maximum zip anyway. You just end up having to constantly do Xavi turns to keep the ball as any movement forward is defended with a head-on sprint and tackle. The dissapointment is that I think a couple of very small tweaks could make this a lot better so I will stick with it till the first round of tweaks have been released.

Hi, I've just joined up cos I want to see if other people have a problem with fitness of players. On manager mode, doesn't seem to matter who I'm managing, the players are always all fit for the next match - kind of defeats purpose of having big squads. I've even not subbed v tired players during a match to see what would happen but sure enough, they're fit for the next one! V annoying and really spoils it for me. Have never had this problem in all other fifas

Yeah that sucks IMO, obviously as they removed the fitness coach upgrades they just decided all players should be super fit no matter what, I preferred to keep my fitness coach at 3* so that I'm forced to rotate very regularly which then makes up for the lack of injuries.

Finished my first season in one of my CM's, I lost in the play-off Wembley final with Leeds to Sheffield United 0-1 in the 85th Min. I was gutted, had put a late run together after losing three on the trot and my best signing going back to his club as his loan ran out(can't believe there is no option to extend or to even pick any timescale) went from 12th to scraping in 6th and then beat 3rd place Cardiff 2-1 on agg...:CRY::D

Oh'and not one injury... :RANT:

Hi, I've just joined up cos I want to see if other people have a problem with fitness of players. On manager mode, doesn't seem to matter who I'm managing, the players are always all fit for the next match - kind of defeats purpose of having big squads. I've even not subbed v tired players during a match to see what would happen but sure enough, they're fit for the next one! V annoying and really spoils it for me. Have never had this problem in all other fifas

I have to rotate my squad all of the time. I have a couple of players with good stamina trait and they still get tired...

It's amazing how different everyone is perceiving this game.

So got some news on Season 3.

Playing with Leeds I was stuck in 17th place for most of the season. I had no money to bring in players from gaining promotion really and had to mix and match with loans.

I get dumped out of both cups early and finally end the season in 15th place. My board goal was to stay "mid table".

At the end of the season for achieving my goal, the board gave me 8 million dollars for the transfer window plus some wage budget in one email and then another 2 million and more wage budget in a second email.

I was able to bring in Simon Kjaer from Wolfsburg, Shorey and Welbeck on loan.

Team

G: Higgs, Schmiechel

D: Shorey, Kjaer, Naughton, Anderson (from Monchengladbach)

M: Howson, White, Michael Bradley, Kilkenny, Eagles, Christian Erikson, Livermore, McCann

F: Welbeck, McCormack, Wickham, Robbie Blake

Basically in previous versions of the game, my team at 3rd season would be like a Manchester United because signing players was so easy. After 3 seasons I have 2 players who cost 10 mil each in Bradley and Kjaer and have to fill in the rest with players in the low 70's range.

By 5th season I have a feeling I will have a strong team as long as I meet the board objectives.

Thanks for the replies. Who are you playing with?? You mean that you're not only having to sub players but you're also unable to play them next match? Is that on world class and is that if there's more than 1 match in a week?

I have to rotate my squad all of the time. I have a couple of players with good stamina trait and they still get tired...

It's amazing how different everyone is perceiving this game.

Well if there's a midweek game then sure I'll need to rotate my team but otherwise my players can play 40 Saturday to Saturday matches and for every match be at 100% fitness which is just not accurate IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Who are you playing with?? You mean that you're not only having to sub players but you're also unable to play them next match? Is that on world class and is that if there's more than 1 match in a week?

Sheffield Wednesday, World class board and game difficulty.

Well if there's a midweek game then sure I'll need to rotate my team but otherwise my players can play 40 Saturday to Saturday matches and for every match be at 100% fitness which is just not accurate IMO.

I think it depends on the player and the traits they have. I would imagine that once you get going in all the cups as well as the league, it will become more difficult. Also, since I keep getting bounced from the League and FA cups early, maybe it hasn't affected me as much.

I do keep getting injuries though. Chris Eagles on my Leeds team had been out twice in a half season one for like 2 weeks and the other for 43 days.

Finished my first season in one of my CM's, I lost in the play-off Wembley final with Leeds to Sheffield United 0-1 in the 85th Min. I was gutted, had put a late run together after losing three on the trot and my best signing going back to his club as his loan ran out(can't believe there is no option to extend or to even pick any timescale) went from 12th to scraping in 6th and then beat 3rd place Cardiff 2-1 on agg...:CRY::D

Oh'and not one injury... :RANT:

No injuries?

I have had one long term injury to Chris burke, and a training ground injury to gain rae, I about 20 games in and sitting 8th.

I stuck the difficulty down to pro as I am on all manual and find it hard to create and finish my chances. When I reach the preprem I think I will up it to world class again.

I think it depends on the player and the traits they have. I would imagine that once you get going in all the cups as well as the league, it will become more difficult. Also, since I keep getting bounced from the League and FA cups early, maybe it hasn't affected me as much.

I do keep getting injuries though. Chris Eagles on my Leeds team had been out twice in a half season one for like 2 weeks and the other for 43 days.

Long term fitness needs to be redone. It's just not as much a factor as it should be.

I agree, there are more injuries than before, but it's still not enough. At any given point during the season every squad honestly should have at least 2-3 injured players, bare minimum. 4-6 range might be more realistic, with a mix of short and long term.

Such an easy solution for this: give us an option of High/Med/Low for injuries in CM. They already have the option to turn injuries on/off, just add this one. Problem solved. Everyone's happy.

There is no good reason why when at the start of every CM career you are given options to customize your experience to how you want to play it, from board difficulty, to player growth speed, to injuries, etc.

Being an Exeter fan I like the new fitness part.
In FIFA 10 it took ages for players to get fit, sometimes used to have to rest players for 2 games after they only play the once, so although people might not like the new fitness part, I like it.

Now I just FIFA done some proper scouting of players so that players like Cozic(not even a bench player) are better than Ryan Harley who is currently being scouted by Prem & Champ teams.

So in the career mode with VP, you don't play in reserve games? unless I am missing them somehow?

So you just sim games until you get picked again?

How are you guys scoring goals? I'm playing with Hercules on Pro difficulty and I haven't been able to score once in 5 games now. Every time I get the ball to my strikers they are muscled off the ball or if they manage to break free the defenders all of a sudden goes Usain Bolt on me. Feels like I'm playing the excact same team every game now. This game won't last long I'm afraid...

Played three more fixtures since the 'job under review' email, no update on that yet.

I'm in December, so coming up to halfway through my first season, and I'm enjoying the challenge. My results are poor, sure, but it's inspiring me to think creatively to come up with new ways of overcoming it. I'm always trying to look at my formation, tactics, personnel and play-style to attempt to tip the balance in my favour more often. Obviously I have some improving to do.

I like the fact that it doesn't matter what team I face, they're going to be difficult to break down. I prefer that rather than expecting to turn up and roll over weaker teams, that would be boring.

Lots of people complain about being out-muscled, over-pressured, closed down quickly... I just think it's a case of being more creative and earning your way to goal. There's a counter to everything. I believe you can create space if you're patient and inventive enough, if you draw opponents out of position, if you make a clever combination at the right moment. You can't really play this game like you played FIFA09, just expecting to pass diagonally-forwards towards goal and out-sprint the defenders.

Last edited:
Lots of people complain about being out-muscled, over-pressured, closed down quickly... I just think it's a case of being more creative and earning your way to goal. There's a counter to everything. I believe you can create space if you're patient and inventive enough, if you draw opponents out of position, if you make a clever combination at the right moment. You can't really play this game like you played FIFA09, just expecting to pass diagonally-forwards towards goal and out-sprint the defenders.

I think you're absolutely right, though I still would like to see some things like pressure and tackling effectiveness toned down a little. In fact today I was wondering whether FIFA 08/09 have ruined me for good! I played those two games to death and from what I remember the tactics that worked in those games were mostly about getting it to the fastest players and sprint sprint sprint. That's an exaggeration and over generalization but like you said, you cannot play this game like you played previous FIFA's, especially the games before 10.

It seems unnatural when playing FIFA (because of the high pressure, cramped pitch, aggressive and sometimes supernatural defenders, short half times - the usual culprits) but you have to be far more patient than you may think when attacking. The hardest part of FIFA 11 for me is to fight the urge to rush forward. Defenders are simply too good one-on-one - a little too good imo - that like nerf said, you absolutely must pull players out of position through passing, and create more space than you may think you need, to get a quality shot on goal. Though one thing I don't like about this is I find that offensive play is even more reliant on the LB button for 1-2 passing moves.

Though I like the idea behind some of the changes, in some ways it makes me think EA have overcompensated for past errors. Sprint speed and your fastest players have been treated the same way as the chip shot - once an exploit it now is maybe a little too difficult to use effectively.

Finished my first season of the career mode as Forest on World Class.
Didnt Sim any games

Never got a single penalty all season.
Never got a single injury (even a few days) all season.

It is hard to break down defenses on world class but even tho its a challenge i dont think i am having fun doing it.
If i dont score it ussually ends up 0-0 so the games are dependent on me scoring to challenge for the league.
professional is not an option far too easy.

I am hoping now i am in the premiership the game will be better as i have better players and will be playing better sides etc but not sure.
But the real challenge for me is the fun factor.

Played 3 games last night and felt like throwing the game out of the window!

It was partly down to me, as I am leaving my now near dead players on the pitch as supposedly they then get injured more easily. No they don't.....but when they are tired you get outmuscled even easier.

The defense is far too quick to react imo, just look at when you recieve a pass on the edge the area, a player will autotackle and sprint at the same time and be on you before or just after the pass has reached you. I don't mind last gap defending, I'm all for it, but when a player can move so fast across so much distance that the pass is pointless it annoys me. I pass the ball about and draw defenders out of position to get my own player some space but it always feels pretty pointless as the moment the ball goes to him they are on him in a flash.

Also another point about the lack of balance is the fact that Kuyt is actually the more dangerous striker, it's all down to him being stronger and being able to hold of the wrestling tackles from behind. Torres is "only" usefull in the last 10 minutes when the teams get tired and you can have him sprint away a little bit, seeing as speed is a pointless aspect of the game for the other 80min.....I loved played Manu yesterday and having Vidic start from behind my striker (Mata, who is very fast) and be able to catch up, outmuscle him before he can even get a cross away whilst also using knockons to be even faster...

Really makes you wonder how they have the system set-up that they can continually make games that are so unbalanced. I'm already bored with it, and making things worse my copy of PES still hasn't arrived!

How are you guys scoring goals? I'm playing with Hercules on Pro difficulty and I haven't been able to score once in 5 games now. Every time I get the ball to my strikers they are muscled off the ball or if they manage to break free the defenders all of a sudden goes Usain Bolt on me. Feels like I'm playing the excact same team every game now. This game won't last long I'm afraid...

I find it hard to score as well using default formations as the computer just spends all game defending trying to score on the counter.

So I play 3-3-4 formation.

I score on average now about 3-4 goals a game, with exeter.

No injuries?

I have had one long term injury to Chris burke, and a training ground injury to gain rae, I about 20 games in and sitting 8th.
I dived into a season with Liverpool when I first picked up the game, and Gerrard was out for a few weeks twice and Torres was out for 71 days. Aurelio was also out for a bit.

I'm contemplating editing every teams lineup and tactics in every league and the major European sides before I start another CM, I wish there was a way of using other peoples stuff for this in FIFA, I'm also worried the day I get it done a patch will come out and I lose the lot if I want to load it...:P

Also getting PES this week to try so may switch back to the Light...:PIRATE:

I'm contemplating editing every teams lineup and tactics in every league and the major European sides before I start another CM

I was thinking about this too but i don't think it is worth it.

The main problem with this is, for example, it doesn't make any difference if the CPU shot the ball more (give him a high shooting slider) or less as long as my team hold the ball for the most of the time.

I tried it with colonge and changed their custom tactics. I was trying to let them shot more and trying to let them work with long balls a lot more. But i don't feel a difference because, as always, i was having 65-70 possession. And the few time cologne had the ball there are countering you. And the way they counter you is always the same (of course).

I think it would only make sense if the CPU would play a possession game, but most of the time you own the ball and their tactic doesn't matter at all.

Played 3 games last night and felt like throwing the game out of the window!

It was partly down to me, as I am leaving my now near dead players on the pitch as supposedly they then get injured more easily. No they don't.....but when they are tired you get outmuscled even easier.

The defense is far too quick to react imo, just look at when you recieve a pass on the edge the area, a player will autotackle and sprint at the same time and be on you before or just after the pass has reached you. I don't mind last gap defending, I'm all for it, but when a player can move so fast across so much distance that the pass is pointless it annoys me. I pass the ball about and draw defenders out of position to get my own player some space but it always feels pretty pointless as the moment the ball goes to him they are on him in a flash.

Also another point about the lack of balance is the fact that Kuyt is actually the more dangerous striker, it's all down to him being stronger and being able to hold of the wrestling tackles from behind. Torres is "only" usefull in the last 10 minutes when the teams get tired and you can have him sprint away a little bit, seeing as speed is a pointless aspect of the game for the other 80min.....I loved played Manu yesterday and having Vidic start from behind my striker (Mata, who is very fast) and be able to catch up, outmuscle him before he can even get a cross away whilst also using knockons to be even faster...

Really makes you wonder how they have the system set-up that they can continually make games that are so unbalanced. I'm already bored with it, and making things worse my copy of PES still hasn't arrived!

Spot on! The reaction times of the CPU is way too fast. If I pass the ball to my striker at the edge of the box I know a defender will come up from behind and steal the ball immediately.

I've also noticed on a number of occasions that when you for once in a million manage to break free from the defence your player magically stops sprinting even though you're holding sprint, just enough for the defender to catch up and muscle you off the ball. It's these little "cheats" that ruins the game for me atm.

Oh and by the way, I haven't recieved one single penalty in the like 50 games I've played.

@ Nick,

I wouldn't bother with the tactics tbh, but then I'm contemplating just not bothering with the game anymore aswell. :P I've been testing them out and the only difference they make is how high up and how aggresively you get pressured. If you haven't got an issue with it with the default settings I would leave it. However it is fairly quick to do, just do it for the team that have very charactaristic play patterns (Arsenal/Bolton/etc) as the tactics get saved under the club's name. Then it's nothing more then just going through the menu and setting them team to the "generic" CT. Once you have the 15 or so CT's it would be about 10-20min per league.

Back
Top Bottom