FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

Sad news guys. While playing as a player in CM, it appears your team does not make any changes in the transfer window, or to you overall line-up, (with the exception of injuries). I decided to sim through 2 seasons to find out for sure and my coach has the exact same lineup for every year. A bit of a bummer, but I am still having fun

Wow that f'n sucks!!

Sounds like you'd updated your squad file, you should never manually update your squad file when you have an active CM on the go, almost always breaks your CM.

But I didn't update anything.

Do you mean if I went to 'edit' mode and changed anything around?

I may have edited a couple players random players (Not even those on my team) then in that sense... yah maybe can't quite remember... but actual updates or downloading new squad files or whatever... no cuz I'm not even connected to online and that's why I don't have the patch some people complain about as well.

Tell them to give me back my damn option to manage player growth myself!

My guys are all over the place at the moment, some are up, some are down. One of my best performing youngsters just dropped a point, while a striker with too few goals to his name went up a point... the former was said to have high growth potential while the latter had nothing to report on him, wtf? And is there not a way to see how our players have changed, or do I need to right down everyone's attributes and compare/contrast when an OVR change has occurred?

Seriously Nick, can you please ask them why they've been removing options, like manual player growth and the old scout feature? I get that neither were ideal systems but seeing as they were optional and they weren't removed to make way for a similar feature, I just don't get why Marcel is doing this. What's his line of thinking?

I'd also like to express a concern I have regarding the email system and its relation to the entire game mode. The management mode in sports games is about, well, managing. I'm worried that Marcel's approach to CM with the introduction of the email system is in essence bypassing the management aspect of the game. I don't want to be told who to play or who not to play; who has high/low potential; who is risking an injury because of fatigue; or who I should or shouldn't buy in the transfer window. The point in these modes has always been to figure-out these *gasp* "management" decisions for yourself.

While we've been told that this year's game mode is somewhat shallow because they've started over with new code to avoid problems with the old, I'm worried that EA have in fact chosen to turn MM into a stripped-down noob-friendly version with CM, and essentially remove management-type decisions from the game.

Oh, another but more specific gripe: player OVRs should not drop just because they aren't seeing enough playing time. That should be form related but form has been removed from the game. I have a couple youngsters that have dropped OVR points and my emails tell me it's because they aren't getting enough playing time, but that's stupid - they should be playing in reserve matches and maintaining their abilities, shouldn't they? These guys are still training right? Since when do players lose their abilities just because they don't make the senior team!? It's simple stuff like this that makes me wonder whether Marcel knows what he's doing.

;) I'll be the one turning up with an A4 pad full, the same as I did when I went to look at the CM... :P

;) I'll be the one turning up with an A4 pad full, the same as I did when I went to look at the CM... :P

You the man. But if I may ask, for what purpose? I'm guessing it's feedback for next year? And no offense to you but can't they get all the feedback they need from the forums (or are you a "volunteer" CM dev)?

Props to you for dealing with them face to face - doubt I could keep my frustration in check!

Started with AZ Alkmaar, sold a few old(er) players and two starters who did nothing for me in friendlies. It's pretty rough so far, I have a lot of young players, but occasionally we have some really impressive build up.
Stuck at the moment trying to pick between two strikers, both youngsters. My tall Brazilian holds up play really well, but can't play a pass to save his life, and the smaller englishman always looks to go forward, plays great passes, but gets knocked around easily and can't win a header.

Changed custom tactics for the whole Eridivisie, seems to be working, a lot more shots coming my way.

Got my 3rd injury yesterday (played about 20 matches incl cups now). G. Johnson out for 40 days. So far I have had not a single training injury, but have had 3 ingame injuries; J.Cole a couple of days and 70 days and Glen now for 40 days.

I'm in the Jan transferwindow and have gotten rid of some deadwood. Poulson is off (2mil), sold Al Bundi for moaning to the press (8mil), I think I sold Maxi aswell, but I can't remember tbh.....a bit like when he is playing. Signed Mata for 18mil from Valencia as we were linked with him this week. :D The transfer system is really good imo, the 2 level negotiations are good and it's really active from the teams around you. Maybe too much to be realistic, but it's enjoyable. Saw that Essien got sold to Seville for 35mil! Someone else had him sold aswell if I remember correctly.

Played Manu away and got spanked, two goals from Aguaro in the 1st half was enough as I couldn't get through their defense. Played Leeds in the FAcup (what a surprise!) and won 1-0 away, 4th round I drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge and have the return on Tuesday. They knocked me out in the CarlingCup.....so I hope I can win the CL in the next couple of seasons and move abroad as playing Chelsea in 2 cups every year is going to piss me off!

As Sheffield Wednesday I'm 14 points clear in League1 with 5 matches left to play so one more win and the league title is all mine, and best of all the board will be happy as I'll have met my objectives, I also won the JPT, not a big deal obviously but it was nice to get a trophy, over the course of the tournament I received about £100k extra transfer funds from the board including 50k for winning it, presumably the more important cups will generate a fair bit more from the board.

A couple of things in particular I like about the new Fifa:

1. it's not just the forwards that score goals, I probably have a good 25 goals shared around my midfield and nearly 10 shared around my defence, for me that's unprecedented for a next gen Fifa.

2. The amount of yellow cards I've picked up over a season, yes in some ways as people say slide tackling is easier than before, however in the heat of a match it's also much easier to mistime a slide tackle than before, I've only had a couple of straight reds but I've had 4 or 5 second yellow reds and I think I've had 6 or 7 players get suspended for getting 5 yellows, with at least one player getting suspended again for 10 yellows :) I've also had at least 10 yellows over the season for non slide tackle fouls which again is nice and realistic :)

So for next season I have 10-12 free transfer signings to sell to raise a warchest, that should bring in 6-8m, sadly I have to say goodbye to my keeper Nicky Weaver as he already dropped 2 points despite playing every match except 2, so top of my shopping list will be a new keeper, next I need a new CB as Boyata will be going back to Man City and Darren Purse is too old and slow now, Beevers will replace Purse but then I need a tall athletic CB to cover for Beevers lack of pace, then I'm after 1 maybe 2 tall DM's with a bit of pace and passing ability (I plan to play a 4 2 3 1 next season with two out and out wingers feeding off a tall strong target man so need two new DM's as O'Connor is neither tall or got any pace, he can't pass much either!), happy with my forward line so unless there's a very good loan signing I will stick with the same front players I have, Emnes and JJ cover the right wing pace option, Jones is ok on the left but I definitely need an additional pacey LW, what I also desperately need is a set piece taker, I have nobody above 67 at free kicks and this shows in the fact I only scored 3 or 4 free kicks in the whole 50 match season, so I'm looking for either a DM that can take a nice freekick or an LW that can :)

You the man. But if I may ask, for what purpose? I'm guessing it's feedback for next year? And no offense to you but can't they get all the feedback they need from the forums (or are you a "volunteer" CM dev)?

Props to you for dealing with them face to face - doubt I could keep my frustration in check!

I guess we are a cross-section of the users on the forums, which are a very small minority of their overall base and as is human nature the majority of the posts on them are complaints and moans, reading the EA forums you would think the game was destroying peoples consoles and homes..:CONFUSE:

On the dealing face to face and keeping calm, I think it's easy for people to lose sight of the industry at work behind this, yes it's a game but it's just a product like any other, it brings in stacks of cash for EA as it is. Trying to get them to move away from the comfort zone of an accessible kick about and go down the more in-depth Simulation is an ongoing battle, every slight tweak this way or that is going to be analyzed to death..

To us it may be smack in the face obvious what needs adding and what needs changing but to EA it's dollars and cents and demographics, a few hundred or thousand vocal people on boards are a drop in that ocean...

Last edited:
As Sheffield Wednesday I'm 14 points clear in League1 with 5 matches left to play so one more win and the league title is all mine, and best of all the board will be happy as I'll have met my objectives, I also won the JPT, not a big deal obviously but it was nice to get a trophy, over the course of the tournament I received about £100k extra transfer funds from the board including 50k for winning it, presumably the more important cups will generate a fair bit more from the board.

1. it's not just the forwards that score goals, I probably have a good 25 goals shared around my midfield and nearly 10 shared around my defence, for me that's unprecedented for a next gen Fifa.

2. The amount of yellow cards I've picked up over a season, yes in some ways as people say slide tackling is easier than before, however in the heat of a match it's also much easier to mistime a slide tackle than before, I've only had a couple of straight reds but I've had 4 or 5 second yellow reds and I think I've had 6 or 7 players get suspended for getting 5 yellows, with at least one player getting suspended again for 10 yellows :) I've also had at least 10 yellows over the season for non slide tackle fouls which again is nice and realistic :)

So for next season I have 10-12 free transfer signings to sell to raise a warchest, that should bring in 6-8m, sadly I have to say goodbye to my keeper Nicky Weaver as he already dropped 2 points despite playing every match except 2, so top of my shopping list will be a new keeper, next I need a new CB as Boyata will be going back to Man City and Darren Purse is too old and slow now, Beevers will replace Purse but then I need a tall athletic CB to cover for Beevers lack of pace, then I'm after 1 maybe 2 tall DM's with a bit of pace and passing ability (I plan to play a 4 2 3 1 next season with two out and out wingers feeding off a tall strong target man so need two new DM's as O'Connor is neither tall or got any pace, he can't pass much either!), happy with my forward line so unless there's a very good loan signing I will stick with the same front players I have, Emnes and JJ cover the right wing pace option, Jones is ok on the left but I definitely need an additional pacey LW, what I also desperately need is a set piece taker, I have nobody above 67 at free kicks and this shows in the fact I only scored 3 or 4 free kicks in the whole 50 match season, so I'm looking for either a DM that can take a nice freekick or an LW that can :)

So overall even with the issues do you think you will still be playing this come Crimbo?...

5 seasons of almost no injuries? Of the same cup ties over and over and over? Possibly not, hard to say for sure.

Add to that:

1. Lack of fitness simulation (match fitness has been removed and players don't get fatigued over a season playing too many matches).
2. Woefully implemented "growth" system, seems completely random and you can't track the actual improvements/decreases.
3. Removal of a form system, I would have preferred 10's broken form system to no form, or even the WC form system which was more rudimentary but still worked fine.
4. AI not changing their formation at any point ever, no matter the score or importance of the match.

As Sheffield Wednesday I'm 14 points clear in League1 with 5 matches left to play so one more win and the league title is all mine

Won the match 6-3 (horrific defensive mistakes by Weaver for 2 of their goals) and it didn't congratulate me for winning the league unfortunately despite the fact I had mathematically done so, nor did the player's celebrate after the final whistle as they sealed promotion, which they would have done in real life, that said there was a news item to say that I'd sealed promotion which I had with that win as it put me out of reach for the 3rd place team, so I guess that's something...

I was wandering if anyone else was having this problem, i started the career mode with arsenal, my fist match in the league cup was against aston villa, beat them then got another premierleague team this persisted until the final. I kept getting premiership teams, same happened in the fa cup.

Got through that season, new fixture list came out my first round was against aston villa again for the second year running.Later on i get sacked as arsenal manager, took on the job at man city, i won the league cup and fa cup with them and didnt once play a team in a lower league. Is anyone else having this problem, apart from this im loving the game. cheers

I was wandering if anyone else was having this problem, i started the career mode with arsenal, my fist match in the league cup was against aston villa, beat them then got another premierleague team this persisted until the final. I kept getting premiership teams, same happened in the fa cup.

Got through that season, new fixture list came out my first round was against aston villa again for the second year running.Later on i get sacked as arsenal manager, took on the job at man city, i won the league cup and fa cup with them and didnt once play a team in a lower league. Is anyone else having this problem, apart from this im loving the game. cheers

If you look through this thread you'll see a number of us have raised the issue of non-random cup fixtures. In fact 4 posts above yours I mention it ;)

Just got fired from PSG in my CM. I then had a couple of offers from other teams in Ligue 1. So I took over Saint Ettiene and thought it would be cool to jump into a team in the middle of the season, but nooo. They sim the remainder of the season and you begin in july again. That's pretty shit imo.

Just got fired from PSG in my CM. I then had a couple of offers from other teams in Ligue 1. So I took over Saint Ettiene and thought it would be cool to jump into a team in the middle of the season, but nooo. They sim the remainder of the season and you begin in july again. That's pretty shit imo.

WHAT?! :SHOCK: that is very shit!

Although I'm in the middle of a severe goal drought with my Lincoln City league 2 CM, I noticed this immediately with the new FIFA and for me it's huge. Really bothered me how in the past only STs scored goals for me.

What difficulty setting are playing on? I'm on WC atm and I'm really struggling to score right now in my CM. I just won 4-1 with Panathanakos(sp?) in a regular match against Athens but for the life of me I cannot put together decent offensive play in the final third with Lincoln City. I hate to call the CPU "cheaters" but it does feel like my team has exaggerated slow response times, turning speeds, agility etc. while the CPU defense can be too precise and responsive.

Also, have they increased the "icy" effect of snow games? My guys seem to slide more than I remember while you'd think they were playing with a frozen ball by their total inability to control it.

I really don't remember having this much of a struggle in the past when I started out in the League 2. I've never been the most prolific goal scorer, and even right now my GD is only -2, but I fear I'm on the verge of getting the axe if I can't find a way to put the ball in the back of the net.

I love this too. I think defending is way too easy in general, especially with how frequently you can dispossess a dribbler without even pressing a button, but I really like how more likely you are to get a red card now. Also one of the first things I noticed with the new game - I think I racked-up about 4 red cards in my first few matches with 11!

Add to that:

1. Lack of fitness simulation (match fitness has been removed and players don't get fatigued over a season playing too many matches).

What's been removed? To me fitness works the same as before once you upgraded your fitness coach to a decent level. I still have to rotate my squad when there are multiple games per week. Long-term fatigue is still absent but that hasn't changed.

2. Woefully implemented "growth" system, seems completely random and you can't track the actual improvements/decreases.
3. Removal of a form system, I would have preferred 10's broken form system to no form, or even the WC form system which was more rudimentary but still worked fine.

Growth is a travesty. Totally seems random and basically I've got no idea what's going on. But I'm honestly not sure I'd take the form system from 10 over none at all - having the majority of my squad on poor form when I was winning the league was a major downer. The WC form system was better but still had similar issues, but I would've been okay if they kept that one.

Is it me or doesn't the form system issue seem pretty simple to fix - make the match ratings less strict.

4. AI not changing their formation at any point ever, no matter the score or importance of the match.

Is this anything new? While P+ is noticeable there remains little individuality among teams in general, imo.

One other point about player form/growth - anyone else find it odd that now players can decrease in OVR just for not playing? This to me seems like either mixing up the concepts of form/growth, or a complete redefinition of the concept of player growth.

I now have received several emails telling me players, all young guys, have -1 growth because they aren't playing enough, and I'm asked whether they are still in my squad plans, or something like that (it's written poorly). This to me sounds like a drop in form, whereas in the past I don't remember losing OVR points until a player gets older and begin to trend downward.

This year's growth system seems to be severely lacking in the logic department.

Had my first snow game in my CM. Automatic orange ball, hurrah! ...and yet the half of my team that have chosen to wear gloves are all wearing WHITE gloves. Seriously, who throws a shoe wears white gloves. It's like they have to insist on getting some sort of equipment colour wrong in the snow.

I believe that simulating the rest of the season when sacked was the same in previous FIFAs.

What difficulty setting are playing on?

World class with a mix of semi/manual controls.

What's been removed? To me fitness works the same as before once you upgraded your fitness coach to a decent level.

Well for one thing I would never upgrade the fitness coach beyond 3* as I wanted to be forced to rotate my squad because of the inherent lack of medium/long term injuries, but in 8/9/10 there was a sort of simulated match fitness in so much as at the start of the season for the first 4 or 5 matches your players would suffer from increased fatigue following a match so it took them more time to recover and you were forced to rotate your squad more at the beginning of the season.

Is this anything new? While P+ is noticeable there remains little individuality among teams in general, imo.

Some teams play longer, some press more and are more aggressive, not too much difference, but I expect the differences to be more pronounced in the higher leagues as I'm sure League1 doesn't get as much love as higher leagues (Sheff Wednesday excluded of course because I edit them ;))

Had my first snow game in my CM. Automatic orange ball, hurrah! ...and yet the half of my team that have chosen to wear gloves are all wearing WHITE gloves. Seriously, who throws a shoe wears white gloves. It's like they have to insist on getting some sort of equipment colour wrong in the snow.

Yeah I had that with Wigan, who on earth thought to put players in white gloves? It's as embarrassing as a real life footballer wearing gloves in England in September *cough Rooney you homo cough*

Just ending the season now, received £250,000 for winning the League1 title, then received £1.8m and £5,493PW extra transfer revenues for meeting my objectives (win the league). Stayed with Wednesday for the next season (obviously), unfortunately that's all the additional money I received, so I start the season in the Championship with a £1.9m / £17,371 transfer budget to spend, good job I got those free transfers in, had a feeling I'd need them.

Out of contract players again auto-accept new contracts at the end of the season if you so choose.

One nice aspect, your shortlist doesn't empty itself between seasons, but I would guess that it doesn't warn you someone is about to make a bid for one of your shortlisted players?

Back
Top Bottom