FIFA 10

I great idea to bring out the individual aspect of each player would be how they've done "Custom Team Tactics". I think this has really made each AI side play like themselves yet the players they possess not having their traits per say.

In similar fashion to that they could have a "Custom Player Tactics" with sliders for the one individual player such as a Crossing, Through balls, Skills. Shooting and Dribbling allowing you customise the individual to how you perceive them allowing you to up the slider to increase the amount of times they do that certain play whilst decreasing it for them doing it less.

Manager Mode updates sounds good. BUT even if the sim engine is realistic, they still have to put a lot of effort on the AI while you actually play against it. Every team still feels very much the same in 09. The AI has to understand what players are good at specific things and use it in the game. If there is someone on the midfield with amazing vision and passes, then the AI should use this player as a play maker, so that much build up goes through them more often. Same with every speciality different players have. A strong player on top? Well he should try to use him as target player. One of the wingers are an amazing crosser? Well he should try to make him get in position for crosses more often than the other winger. And so on...

I was dismissing your comment as gameplay not MM Voile but then I realised that actually they should add extra AI for the MM. Connect it to situations like being down on agg in a cup match for the return and going for the attack, trying to beat 1st place in the league, set the team up extra defensive when you are trying to beat relegation. They should really add that as it will likely have more effect to show how teams play than trying to perfect the chelsea/arsenal styles. It would also mean you would have to change your tactics more aswell as trying to maintain 1st place when 2nd place is going for the attack (even if it means some extra AI boosting) would be far more entertaining than them playing exactly the same as last season when they were in midtable.

Last edited:
What new sliders do you mean?

Sorry I meant the sliders that was introduced for FIFA 09. I think they're a good step in the right direction but just not good enough.

Tiktiktiktik: yes my comment was more general AI I guess, but you have a point in that it should behave different depending on what situation the team is in.

how the hell you guys have come up with 90 pages of discussion when theres not really any interesting news amazes me... i check back every few days and used to think, wow 7 new pages, something must have happened! no...

someone pm me when it does :D !

Sorry I meant the sliders that was introduced for FIFA 09. I think they're a good step in the right direction but just not good enough.

Tiktiktiktik: yes my comment was more general AI I guess, but you have a point in that it should behave different depending on what situation the team is in.
What sliders in 09?

My last few questions on Manager Mode were answered by Marcel this morning, disappointing all-round. :(

Has the underdog AI been looked at? In FIFA 09 it was extremely common to play teams like Man United and win (presumably because of their open attacking formation), then you'd play someone like Tranmere and lose 2-0 (presumably because they play so defensively you can't move - yet their attack doesn't seem to suffer).

[MK] Despite reading around in the forums a bit, it's the first time I hear the term underdog AI. I don't think this is related to specific tweaks that we make to the AI, but the the tatical settings these teams use. Also it might be related to your playing style...maybe expand on what you exactly mean by some teams having a stifling defense and list what formation and tatical settings they play with.

Also, I agree with the guys above who have said the Europa League rules not being implemented is very disappointing (seeing as you'll be playing in a competition that doesn't exist any more, not very "Total Football"). Is there any small chance that the real Europa League structure (EFA in FIFA) will be added before release?

[MK] No, chance - has to do with the issues we have with our tournament scheduling engine, we were only able to fix a very limited amount of things as it's very finicky and time intesive to tweak it. Introducing the proper Europa League logic would have been one of the tougher things to do...and also one of the tougher things to let go.

Finally, I haven't seen this answered yet; can you set the assistant manager to make substitutions during matches?

[MK] When the game starts everything is up to you - it's like in the real world. When the going gets tough the main manager makes all the decisions. One of the other reasons is, that in the menus you can still change the line-up your assistant proposes, in the game the decision to substitute is hard to reverse...unless we'd suggest a sub and then let you accept or reject the suggestion. Hey, we're adding a feature here...has to be for coming FIFA's though, let me know if that's something you'd like to see added.

Seems really odd that a game like FIFA wants to give the impression that it's a realistic football game/sim yet they can't adjust the rules of a major European competition for the game. Not very professional.

Seems like they have fucked up quite a bit when programming some stuff. Because they said the same things with a lot of stuff, that they had to throw away everything they had in 09 and start over because it was too difficult to add and change things in them. Must be some serious hardcoded shit if they say it is almost impossible to change something like the European competition structure.

Has the underdog AI been looked at? In FIFA 09 it was extremely common to play teams like Man United and win (presumably because of their open attacking formation), then you'd play someone like Tranmere and lose 2-0 (presumably because they play so defensively you can't move - yet their attack doesn't seem to suffer).

[MK] Despite reading around in the forums a bit, it's the first time I hear the term underdog AI. I don't think this is related to specific tweaks that we make to the AI, but the the tatical settings these teams use. Also it might be related to your playing style...maybe expand on what you exactly mean by some teams having a stifling defense and list what formation and tatical settings they play with.

Is he taking the piss by acting like he has no idea?

Either that or he's never actually sat and played a season or two on Fifa to experience the roller coaster difficulty when going from team to team. There's no way this is the first time they've heard complaints about the AI difficulty - despite him brushing it off by saying 'I've never heard that term before'. Who gives a fuck about the 'term' when it's the underlining problem we want addressed.

If he's claiming there is no problems with the AI and there is no 'boost' given to lower league teams then that must means their game is screwed up. Just because Man United play attacking doesn't mean they should be easier to defeat than a team who sits back. Especially when that 'defending' team don't just draw with you by keeping you from scoring the entire game but beat you comfortably 2 or 3-0.

Also for someone who is working on the game you'd think he would know how to spell defence and tactical as he'd run into those words daily.

But is the MM-guy really responsible for the underdog AI etc? Sure, he should have noticed when playing the game, but surely it's the AI guys that should know about this and not him.

Oh and Rad, I'm sure he's very sorry that he wasn't born in a english speaking country and made two spelling misstakes when writing in a forum. He should be fired right away!

But is the MM-guy really responsible for the underdog AI etc? Sure, he should have noticed when playing the game, but surely it's the AI guys that should know about this and not him.

Oh and Rad, I'm sure he's very sorry that he wasn't born in a english speaking country and made two spelling misstakes when writing in a forum. He should be fired right away!

The AI guys should know about it as well but seeing as he's the manager mode guy he should have played the game enough to see it. If anything it should be more apparent to him than anyone else in the company as he's taking work they've done and then feeding it into his game mode and seeing how it works. Then he can report that back to the AI guys and tactical guys telling them 'I've just thrashed Man U 5-0 but then got beat by Stoke and Tranmere 4-0 and couldn't get past their defence to get a shot on target, and they tackled me perfectly over and over.... sort it out'.

I don't think there is a law that 'writing on a forum' means you can spell incorrectly and it didn't look like a mistake as he spelt tactical the same way twice. He doesn't have to be strung up though, just that he should know those KEY WORDS off by heart seeing as he works on a football game and those exact words are some of the most important things in a football game.

You answered it yourself, anyone playing the game more then just the odd time would spot it...
My guess would be there is not much they can do about it or it's a big issue to do anything about...

Back
Top Bottom