FIFA 10

i hope the "underdog" AI gets fixed. A played a manager mode game earlier today. Im Arsenal and i drew Aldershot at home in the league cup. I lost 2-1. They played like Brazil for the first 70 minutes. Then they seemed to tire dramatically but i still couldnt score as i hit the post about 4 or 5 times. It stank of AI scripting. How can it be that Aldershot are harder to play against then Liverpool ot Man utd? It is really poor AI and i really hope it gets sorted. This was not an isolated game as it seems to happen everytime i play a 'lesser' team.

Yep I hate it, with a passion.

I've reached the point now where in my MM I play on world class against 5 star opponents and then switch back to professional for any opponents less than 5 star, and most times the hardest games are against the teams I play on professional due to the underdog AI logic.

Some more good and bad news from Marcel:

Does this mean we're still going to have the same problems of having to play a cup match and a league match on the same day, or even on consecutive days? I believe the real life rule is minimum 72 hours between matches and even that is quite rare.

In theory no - as we know about the most annoying issues and have tried to eliminate them. Top of that list were duplicated teams in the ECC and EFA and having to play back-to-back cup matches. That being said, we didn't spend a heap of time on this as we're planning to look into an entirely new solution soon.

Can you let me know in which league and season the cup / league match on the same day occured? I will have our QA run a check on specifically the scenario you will provide me with.

1.) When you create Custom team tactics will it stay on those tactics when you start your next match. On Fifa 09, when you start the next match it reverts back to the Default tactics which is annoying.
[MK] QA is testing this currently - I will get back to you on that one.
2.) Will there be FA Cup Replays when you draw a match instead of it going to extra time/penalties?
[MK] No, this is one of the scheduling issues we have not been able to address for FIFA 10.
3.) Will CPU free kicks be better? In Fifa 09, ive only conceded 1 free kick in around 1100 matches against the CPU which isn't exactly the 'total football experience'.
[MK] Funny that you say that, I've just conceded a free kick goal against the CPU...than again I might be close to 1000 games as well ;-). Seriously, I think the skilled CPU players have definitely improved and I am cringing every time I make a stupid foul around the box.
4.) Will the scheduling be fixed so we don't play around 3 EFA matches in a row. In Fifa 09 i had 3 EFA matches without any League matches in between which is unrealistic and disrupts the flow of the League season.
[MK] This should not happen anymore - I haven't seen this issue in FIFA 10 yet.
5.) Will the EFA and ECC final be played at a different stadium each season? It seems a waste playing the European final at a Generic stadium when there's so many great real European stadiums in the game.
[MK] It will be the same stadium, we are not randomizing the stadium AFAIK - I will look into this one as well.
6.) Why do the participants in the 1st season of the ECC have to be determined by the sim engine? Im somewhat confused by this.
[MK] Boring legal issue, let's not go there - I'm trying not to get mad at this myself.
7.) As the Europa League has now got a new format, will the EFA be changed to reflect this? The group stage will be 12 groups of four teams (in a double round robin) instead of eight groups of five (in a single round robin).
[MK] For FIFA 10 the EFA will remain in the same format.

So no Europa league in Fifa10, very disappointing :( Was really looking forward to qualifying and playing in it.

Think these are known answers but will post anyways:

but some questions i would like to ask .. .

1) If i get sacked half way through the season, will i be able to find a club?
[MK] Yes, depending on your Manager Reputation it might not be the ideal club...but hey, you got yourself sacked and have to live with the consequences (or start a new career ;-)).

2) If i start off at a, lets say, league 2 club, and i do well, at the end of the season, would all the prem clubs be interested in me, becasue that doesnt happen in real life.
[MK] Manager Reputation will not go up that quickly, in order to make yourself a name you will have to perform consistently on a high level and win some silverware. If you start with a league 2 club, you shouldn't get a Premier League offer until the 3rd or 4th season.

3) Can you arrange your pre-season friendlys, and are they from different clubs and countrys.
[MK] Assistant coach will schedule the friendlies for you - 2 opponents from your league, 2 from other league.

Yep I hate it, with a passion.

I've reached the point now where in my MM I play on world class against 5 star opponents and then switch back to professional for any opponents less than 5 star, and most times the hardest games are against the teams I play on professional due to the underdog AI logic.

perhaps you can ask this question to EA to see if this AI bug has been fixed.

but some questions i would like to ask .. .

1) If i get sacked half way through the season, will i be able to find a club?
[MK] Yes, depending on your Manager Reputation it might not be the ideal club...but hey, you got yourself sacked and have to live with the consequences (or start a new career ;-)).

2) If i start off at a, lets say, league 2 club, and i do well, at the end of the season, would all the prem clubs be interested in me, becasue that doesnt happen in real life.
[MK] Manager Reputation will not go up that quickly, in order to make yourself a name you will have to perform consistently on a high level and win some silverware. If you start with a league 2 club, you shouldn't get a Premier League offer until the 3rd or 4th season.

3) Can you arrange your pre-season friendlys, and are they from different clubs and countrys.
[MK] Assistant coach will schedule the friendlies for you - 2 opponents from your league, 2 from other league.

That sounds great.

I...I USED to.

Yeah, you could do friendlies in 09 on the PC. Any club that you wanted, though you'd need to fiddle with ticket receipts so that your invitation wouldn't be declined.

so did i, up until 07 or something.

afaik you could pick any club at the beginning, but if you failed at for example a epl team and got sacked you could not bounce back right away and sort of had to make your way across lower leagues.

Has there been any news on whether they've improved player switching on the L1 button? In FIFA 09 I have it on fully manual but the L1 player switching is rubbish. I often have to cycle through 2 or 3 players before it gets to the one I want. All I ask is that it selects the player nearest to the ball.

Sure, the right stick is more accurate but I prefer to use L1 as if feels more natural (after years of playing PES) and why have L1 as player switching if it isn't primarily meant for that purpose!?

Also, once you switch player, players often run in the opposite direction, therefore putting them off balance and giving strikers an easy opportunity to run through on goal. This happens a LOT.

If these two things alone were solved it make a huge difference. Any news on whether they have been looked at?

Yep, I agree completely. It's rubbish, though I'm now used to switch fith the right stick and is great as you can precisely select any player in the pitch.

The worst thing is how players come to a stop when being selected now and then, letting the opponent gian crucial meters to goal or loosing the race for the ball.

Add to this another thing that worries me: if you press an opponent with the secondary deffense button (square in ps3), but before doing the tackle, you let go the pression button, the player automatically resets and goes away, as if he's ignoring he is near an opponent.

A lot of times I just don't want to close down, simply put a player near my opponent to close gaps. I use the (SQUARE) button and when I release it the player simply goes away. It fustrates me because it would be great if tackling was bloody difficult but closing gaps was easy, at least that's how real football works, you can easily close space but hardly win the ball against a skilled player.

Has there been any news on whether they've improved player switching on the L1 button? In FIFA 09 I have it on fully manual but the L1 player switching is rubbish. I often have to cycle through 2 or 3 players before it gets to the one I want. All I ask is that it selects the player nearest to the ball.

Sure, the right stick is more accurate but I prefer to use L1 as if feels more natural (after years of playing PES) and why have L1 as player switching if it isn't primarily meant for that purpose!?

Also, once you switch player, players often run in the opposite direction, therefore putting them off balance and giving strikers an easy opportunity to run through on goal. This happens a LOT.

If these two things alone were solved it make a huge difference. Any news on whether they have been looked at?

Yep, I agree completely. It's rubbish, though I'm now used to switch fith the right stick and is great as you can precisely select any player in the pitch.

The worst thing is how players come to a stop when being selected now and then, letting the opponent gian crucial meters to goal or loosing the race for the ball.

Add to this another thing that worries me: if you press an opponent with the secondary deffense button (square in ps3), but before doing the tackle, you let go the pression button, the player automatically resets and goes away, as if he's ignoring he is near an opponent.

A lot of times I just don't want to close down, simply put a player near my opponent to close gaps. I use the (SQUARE) button and when I release it the player simply goes away. It fustrates me because it would be great if tackling was bloody difficult but closing gaps was easy, at least that's how real football works, you can easily close space but hardly win the ball against a skilled player.

Try playing 2vAI, it could drive a Saint to murder... :RANT:

It is, but not a league top 20 I think that's what they want...

Correct - Don't these things seem like simple issues? I recruit for IT Development and know code isn't easy to write and is time consuming, but wow.

Also, everyone who moans about EA and not working hard enough should back off. EA pays peanuts and work their developers to the bone. Turnover is quite high...

Correct - Don't these things seem like simple issues? I recruit for IT Development and know code isn't easy to write and is time consuming, but wow.

Also, everyone who moans about EA and not working hard enough should back off. EA pays peanuts and work their developers to the bone. Turnover is quite high...
Erik, You a Terrier... ;)

Completely agree, the most annoying "bug" in FIFA09 as far as i'm concerned.
I've been trying to find this out to no avail.
I asked Glen Cooley over on the EA Forums coz he had play tested FIFA10 but he didn't seem to be aware of the issue and I don't think he knew what I was talking about.

Yes I have the same problem when my friend and I play our MM. For example when one of us is on the wing ready to cross the ball the other one can't pick the striker who's in front of goal and get a good position. Really frustrating...

new FSB podcast:

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fsb-2009-podcast-10-goodbye-fifa-09/

It’s been over a month since my last podcast, so I’ve made sure that this latest edition is over half an hour long. Here I talk about the leaked FIFA 10 video and why the leak isn’t good news for anybody, along with the following confession; I just can’t bring myself to play FIFA 09 any more.

As always, hit the forums and let us know your thoughts on this podcast’s topic in the podcast thread - and remember you can download our podcasts via iTunes using the keyword FIFA SOCCER BLOG!

:APPLAUD:

danke chris.

I cant believe how excited I am to be getting FIFA 10.
I'm a little freaked out by this strange sensation.

I'm watching the Match between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chieft at the moment.
I must mention that both footie games are not where they could be. I saw many instances that the players have had to control a bouncing ball. The physics involved are hectic:
- player positioning: the player has to set himself up to get the ball before or after the ball bounces not to mention what happens when the player is pressurised by another.

- the ball physics: if the ball skids on the turf on a wet pitch or bounces on a hard pitch or sticks on a soft grassy pitch.

- the way the player has to control the ball:
He may opt to chest the ball then control on the knee.
He might be forced to control the ball with his head if he misjudged the bounce.
He may have excellent ability and trap on his chest then flick over his head with his toe or heel (a trick I used to do in my playing days).

All of these things mentioned have not been realistically re-enacted on any football game.

I wonder if this even possible on the current gen consoles.

As soon as I got used to playing FIFA again this happens to me TWICE in one match. The first one wouldn't upload, but this one is better example anyways.

YouTube - FIFA 09 VID1

However, the goalkeepers got past quality control last year I'll never know. They say the goalkeepers are more aggressive this year, but I'm praying they've done an overhaul on the keepers, this kind of shit happens far too often.

Yeah, that and the lack of speed at coming out is definitly a fault. However they are really working on them and it was already visible in that leaked video so they should be a big improvement.

Back
Top Bottom