FIFA 10

in that interview rutter says he has reduced the time on the passing animation by 15% from the earlier to stop that 180 degree turn pass to happen..

the one people were moaning about, so that's a good thing

Yes, but what people wonder if is this will make normal passes suffer because of this delay, because he made it sound it was for every pass, not only weird ones.

You would like to think that but in reality its not gonna happen

what 1 person dislikes another likes so its all down to them at the end of the day
Yeah but sometimes there's a massively more popular opinion, i.e. so many people are pissed off that there's still no trophy celebrations. It must be 1% okay with that, 99% really pissed off, looking at the EA forums. The threads created about that are the most popular threads by miles so they know it's something big.

Saying that they say they can't fix that in the time they have left so maybe you have a point, I don't know. :COAT:

You would like to think that but in reality its not gonna happen

what 1 person dislikes another likes so its all down to them at the end of the day

The people that represent the community, that they fly over, have impact on the game if you haven't noticed this yet.

why don't we just wait till the demo comes out and make our own minds up instead of listening to other peoples views and watching short videos?

Because debating minor details of a yet to be released football simulation is so much more satisfying than sitting at a desk doing work.

The people that represent the community, that they fly over, have impact on the game if you haven't noticed this yet.

Yeah they had an impact months ago when the game was in development but now they are just refining stuff and you don't have no say in it at all

Yes, but what people wonder if is this will make normal passes suffer because of this delay, because he made it sound it was for every pass, not only weird ones.

it probably will be for every pass, but football is about building up play and possession before being lucky enough to get an attack on goal (counter attacks are different)

so they are trying to simulate real football, so passing and creating space will be important and to achieve that you will have to keep the ball

i guess the key would be to keep it simple, and play the way you are facing just like real football, until you have created enough space to make the right not as risky pass

in fifa 09 you can play so many risky passes and it will reach it's destination, more so on assisted, you don't even have to have any skill to achieve it, just button presses without direction

with fifa 10 it sounds to me, you will have to be on your game to pass your way through the opposition just like real football

music to my ears anyway :APPLAUD:

p.s to the guys above, this is a forum and a place to debate (everyone or most are going to talk/speculate about something they are looking forward to)

p.s to the guys above, this is a forum and a place to debate (everyone or most are going to talk/speculate about something they are looking forward to)

I know what your saying but it seems people are winding themselves up over it and that's not good for you :)

I know what your saying but it seems people are winding themselves up over it and that's not good for you :)

mate some people worry about nets and stuff ;)

i am liking what i am hearing about fifa 10, i just hope the game speed online is ruined, for example think of fifa 09 clubs

most of it is 100mph football, not sure if that has anything to do with the 3 game speeds fifa 09 has , as online for clubs must be on fast

I don't see what response time to hit a pass has to do with build up play. If I'm in a tight situation in real life I can still try to pass the ball even if the outcome will probably be crap. Barcelona have great build up and quick passes in their lovely triangles in the middle of the pitch.

It just sounds very similar to the whole shooting weirdness to me. Like people shouldn't shoot as hard as in real life because they score too much then, when the solution is in the accuracy and not the power. Same here, people CAN pass pretty rapidly in real life but the accuracy will suffer a lot because of it.

I don't see what response time to hit a pass has to do with build up play. If I'm in a tight situation in real life I can still try to pass the ball even if the outcome will probably be crap. Barcelona have great build up and quick passes in their lovely triangles in the middle of the pitch.

It just sounds very similar to the whole shooting weirdness to me. Like people shouldn't shoot as hard as in real life because they score too much then, when the solution is in the accuracy and not the power. Same here, people CAN pass pretty rapidly in real life but the accuracy will suffer a lot because of it.

who has said that you won't be able to do quick passes?

i remember them saying you can actually have more weight on the ball now, and the ball physics are spot on..

pressing a button to ping a pass is probably possible, but getting yourself into the right position (technique) will be relevant

just like the world class players in real life, they were not born with that skill, compare them to a shit player - so i guess this means you have to put the time in to perfect the game and not just pick it up and ping passes left right and center?

that is what i am hoping anyway....

fifa 08 was more of a simulation to fifa 09, but fifa 08 suffered from response times, those response times were improved for fifa 09, which turned out to be quite arcadey in the end, the way people could play it

they are finding middle ground i think (which is a good thing to me)

Last edited:
Yeah I don't say he said this, but this is my concern if they are adding response time for every pass.

And you are right and this is my point, you shouldn't be able to ping the ball around because of accuracy, not response times. To me it sounds like they add response time so that the player can get in position and THEN hit a good pass. I say hit the pass when I press (well without the EXTRA response time) and if I'm in a bad position make it less accurate.

"For instance, if you press the pass button when the ball is at the edge of the player’s reach then it will be off-course and weak."

The quote is from FSB's report. To me it seems all they are trying to do is to keep it real, and that is great. Basically, I hope it's just in real life and if you have your body well positioned to do a one-touch pass you can, and skilled players will have more time on the ball and can keep it for longer and still make a great pass (because they have it close to their feet), even compared to the same player when running which all seem very realistic. As to the quote it also seems that you'll be able to try a pass if you have an opponent closing in, but if you don't the player will take the extra time to position himself correctly for the pass which is what would happen in real life.

Yeah I don't say he said this, but this is my concern if they are adding response time for every pass.

And you are right and this is my point, you shouldn't be able to ping the ball around because of accuracy, not response times. To me it sounds like they add response time so that the player can get in position and THEN hit a good pass. I say hit the pass when I press (well without the EXTRA response time) and if I'm in a bad position make it less accurate.

i suppose this will become clear at a later date, as there maybe more to it than just response times

i know what you mean about pressing a button and you want it to respond, and so do i, and it should make a mistake if we press the button at the wrong time (and i think adam said this in the podcast that fifa 10 is unforgiving, and how he liked how smooth it was to pass in fifa 09, don't forget he is a pesfan and we know what pinball passing is like in pes)

i think there will be more to it than response times, response times are just animations are they not, so they have probably added more little animations to the players movements (which will increase what people call response, but that is just a way of illustrating the players position, which has to be done in real life) so you can appreciate the touches, body position when you control the ball (previous versions the ball could just hit you and you could play a pass, yes it responded to the press but not necessarily a realistic response).

picture the ball being played to you and your man's animation responds to your movements but first you have to control the ball in the direction you want or get it under control to release a pass, or if the ball is played directly to you you can first time pass instantly in the direction it came (i think all this will be possible) and will help reflect a simulation of a real football game (i hope lol)

that is what is important to me, but yea it is pointless going over this as we don't know but there is nothing wrong with speculating

is there a concise list of screenshots and vids? as great as everyones opinions are itd still be nice to have an easy access page...! :P

You're right it probably is fine the way it is now with the delay, because no one has said something negative about it. It's just when he says something like that I start to worry about their solutions.

I had no issues with the response times in FIFA 09. That may cause a stir with a few people but the reason for that is because response times weren't the issue. the issue was how quick it was for people to close you down and not even giving you the time to make room to pick out a pass.

With the pace of the game slower, pitch being bigger and fatigue(hopefully) being fixed then their really shouldn't be an issue if the response times are at least on par with 09.

I don't know what to make about this, going to have to wait until the demo.

I just hope that it doesn't make one on one's with the keepers more infuriating. I also hope the players don't take forever again to load up passes/through balls.

I had no issues with the response times in FIFA 09. That may cause a stir with a few people but the reason for that is because response times weren't the issue. the issue was how quick it was for people to close you down and not even giving you the time to make room to pick out a pass.

With the pace of the game slower, pitch being bigger and fatigue(hopefully) being fixed then their really shouldn't be an issue if the response times are at least on par with 09.
What the hell were you playing...

i suppose this will become clear at a later date, as there maybe more to it than just response times

i know what you mean about pressing a button and you want it to respond, and so do i, and it should make a mistake if we press the button at the wrong time (and i think adam said this in the podcast that fifa 10 is unforgiving, and how he liked how smooth it was to pass in fifa 09, don't forget he is a pesfan and we know what pinball passing is like in pes)

i think there will be more to it than response times, response times are just animations are they not, so they have probably added more little animations to the players movements (which will increase what people call response, but that is just a way of illustrating the players position, which has to be done in real life) so you can appreciate the touches, body position when you control the ball (previous versions the ball could just hit you and you could play a pass, yes it responded to the press but not necessarily a realistic response).

picture the ball being played to you and your man's animation responds to your movements but first you have to control the ball in the direction you want or get it under control to release a pass, or if the ball is played directly to you you can first time pass instantly in the direction it came (i think all this will be possible) and will help reflect a simulation of a real football game (i hope lol)

that is what is important to me, but yea it is pointless going over this as we don't know but there is nothing wrong with speculating

it probably will be for every pass, but football is about building up play and possession before being lucky enough to get an attack on goal (counter attacks are different)

so they are trying to simulate real football, so passing and creating space will be important and to achieve that you will have to keep the ball

i guess the key would be to keep it simple, and play the way you are facing just like real football, until you have created enough space to make the right not as risky pass

in fifa 09 you can play so many risky passes and it will reach it's destination, more so on assisted, you don't even have to have any skill to achieve it, just button presses without direction

with fifa 10 it sounds to me, you will have to be on your game to pass your way through the opposition just like real football

music to my ears anyway :APPLAUD:

Unless you're playing with a guy using Assisted passing. I still haven't heard a word about whether or not they may or may not be tweaking how much the game helps you complete the passes because with a larger pitch and a faster ball, there's the possibility of even more cheese.

If they've really overhauled the defensive AI to get them to cover passing lanes better then maybe when those assisted passes roll right to them they won't move out the way and let it roll by. I still maintain that they can keep assisted passing in the game all they want but it really needs to ONLY affect the direction and weight of the pass and NOT move the other player out of the way to make it easier for them to complete the pass.

Much like an earlier poster's reservations about what this response time slowdown might mean given the way shooting was ruined in 09, it sounds like this has a chance to really screw some things up. I mean, you saw what happened between 08 and 09 with the speed and now to undertake something as seemingly complex as ensuring that your player is in the perfect position to make a pass at any point, ESPECIALLY with the addition of 360 degree dribbling, has the chance of not coming off right.

I remember being able to (unsuccessfully a good bit of the time though thanks to 2nd defender pressure abusers online) send up a rather hard manual A button pass to Fab for instance and then with the lightest tap of the manual through ball simply redirect it right into space for another player to run onto and either pass it first time or take it up the field and I had better be able to do that this year. It didn't fly right to a guy but was just lightly pushed right into space. As an example just look at how Arsenal play in real life. I've been able to replicate some of those passing combos in the game and I hope that I'm still able to. Quick, short, one-touch passing should be punished with decreases in accuracy as someone said earlier, not in the game not allowing you to release the pass when you want to. I can understand the need to stamp out the ability to just whip the ball around behind you like so many people do online, but I hope they find the proper balance.

And if the fatigue system isn't overhauled then it hasn't been done right. With the "homing" still being possible in the game and the less than definitive answer regarding just how much the fatigue has been changed it sounds like we may be in for more of the same online.

What the hell were you playing...

+1

EDIT: Going back to the earlier podcast (the join FSB/WENB) one I heard them mention something about fast players not really being fast anymore and defenders being able to catch them more easily now. Maybe I need to play something other than online (MM was shit this year) but I can try and send a through pass to any fast striker and I'll often get run down from behind before I can make it to the goal. Sounds like FIFA 10 will be quite fun when it'll be even harder for me to do it. Perhaps it'll stamp out whatever bullshit people use to fly by my defenders all the time (who I almost always set to cover) but I hope fast players can still beat slower defenders if they're out of position. FIFA 09 was notorious for that.

Last edited:
christ @ that podcast. godforbid EA try to add build-up play to Fifa. :rolleyes

the game sounds like it's going to give the ping-pong players a HARSH reality check. i can't wait. i have put together some sick build-up moves in 09 (passing back and forth while setting off multiple runs etc) and can't wait to get into 10.

just hope they have longer replays. the PS3 version last year had a huge memory so you could rewind whole games. that way you could record on a camcorder and upload it to youtube.

Back
Top Bottom