FIFA 10

Quite a long post, I tried to reduce it...
...But from an objective point of view, most of the things Fifa does good in order to achieve the sense of "simulation" cannot be matched by pes in one or two years.
Awesome post...people tend to overlook the amount of significant changes (however incremental it may appear) that EA has done to its game engine over the past few years. It still amazes me to no end how they've managed to get this far with the animations and I made a similar comment about it on GAF just couple days ago:

Yeah it'll be a while til we get (an animation engine that works like Euphoria) but between Fifa and PES, I'd say the former has a solid foundation in animation tech with the most potential for improvement. In PES its pretty obvious to me (without even having to go into slo-mo replays) that there are plenty of instances where a player's leg would "shuffle" just so they can place their feet to the ball for a pass/shot ie. the players often adjust its cadence to adapt to the movement/position of the ball.

YouTube - Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Rain Demo England vs Brazil

This approach to an "untethered ball" experience, one which many fans like me has come to appreciate for so many years, has unfortunately remained stagnant as very little was done to the core animation engine as the series progressed.

EA only started to introduce the same free ball mechanism in 07 with the help of a new IK system (that positions a player's feet to the ball rather than the other way around) and a footplanting technology (helps to prevent players' feet from gliding around as they move or at least minimize such instances). But the fundamental difference that sets Fifa apart from PES lies in the fact that it doesn't sacrifice much of a player's cadence for an action. ie. more often than not, a pass or a shot will require any of a player's feet to be timed together with the ball either via IK (stretching the legs realistically into position), using a weaker foot or performing an extra step to use his dominant foot...hence the lag between a button press and its corresponding action (Ironically some people find this "unresponsiveness" not realistic at all and demand superhuman reflexes that reacts at the tap of a button).

Personally I'd much rather deal with the minute lag (by watching my movement and space, delivering passes to a free player, using players that can respond quicker, shielding the ball using RTrigger/R2, etc) to have that extra fluidity in animation. That's not to say that their tech is without any glaring flaws (this video that I recorded shows off FIFA's IK system being used to the extreme):

YouTube - FIFA 09 kick through body

EA have since tweaked on the animation engine and introduced more mocapped animations, and I'm very excited for the 360degree controls (which to me means they've finally got the feet and ball coordination just right to implement such a feature) but we're still ways off for either series to achieve Euphoria-like transitions or heck, FightNightRound4 type of collision detection. And I was kinda hoping for PES to make big changes to its gameplay animations. But I don't mind having another footie game that plays differently anyway (gotta love those instantaneous passes)

One thing that is really needed is curved passes. I'm not talking about those gay assisted ones, I mean when you play on manual you should be able to put spin on the ball.

Probably can't do that with the current control scheme though. Can't believe we still play football games with the same basic controls as always when every other sport game and games in general have moved on to more clever solutions...

You can do it with manual but im unsure how. Thing is it only happens on LONG cross field ground passes, but Im definitely able to do it! Maybe someone who knows what they are doing more can elaborate...

You can do it with manual but im unsure how. Thing is it only happens on LONG cross field ground passes, but Im definitely able to do it! Maybe someone who knows what they are doing more can elaborate...

I've never been able to do it with manual. Unlike FKs you can't choose a spin direction as you power the pass up because your player will just move in the direction that you're holding the analog and simply pass in the wrong direction.

Not sure how it's possible to do it with the current controls. I know that holding the left bumper and sending a lobbed pass across the field will result in a little bit of curve much like the early cross into the box.

They really should add this though as I particularly hate playing against someone who you KNOW means to simply fire in an assisted throughball and somehow his player kicks the shit out of it with the outside of their left foot and gets it curving (on the ground) around my player and just barely missing the sideline before curling back towards the center of the pitch to be picked up by the player making the run. It just happens at random times and I bet the guys doing it think their amazing at the game when they see it.

Yes there are passes that only happen specifically on assisted (like the reverse curl outside of the foot pass), but you can curl manual. Run diagonally up left (so Northwest) and try to pass the ball northeast. Chances are you will get curl. I realise this isn't what you mean (running angles and animations), but I can assure you I get curl when I feel it is necessary. It just happens :|

Put in the same sentence as "stadia" and "leagues", that sounds to me like additional stadia/leagues will be DLC. Uh-oh.

And this is 48 hours after Jaygrim jokingly said to me on MSN they'll be making the football and the referee's whistle DLC this year...

Put in the same sentence as "stadia" and "leagues", that sounds to me like additional stadia/leagues will be DLC. Uh-oh.

And this is 48 hours after Jaygrim jokingly said to me on MSN they'll be making the football and the referee's whistle DLC this year...

And so it begins, and so it will not end until someone has the balls to take a games company to court for charging extra on an unfinished game!!!

I don't mind DLC aslong as it is an addition to a complete game but if there is room in the programming to sell it then there is room in the initial game for it to be in.

And so it begins, and so it will not end until someone has the balls to take a games company to court for charging extra on an unfinished game!!!

I don't mind DLC aslong as it is an addition to a complete game but if there is room in the programming to sell it then there is room in the initial game for it to be in.
I was shocked to buy Tiger Woods 10 and find DLC on the very first day - the games companies have always used the excuse of "we love the game, we love working on the game, so while you're playing it if we come up with something cool then we can allow you to prolong the experience".

Now it's blatantly "we're going to make a game, rip 5%-20% of it out and sell it to you, because £40 isn't enough for a 100% complete game as far as we're concerned, we want £43, then £46, then £49..." Hence Jay joking that the football will cost money in FIFA this year.

EDIT: It's like buying a car, then just before driving it home someone rips out the spare tyre and says "if you want it back it's extra". Then you just have to decide whether to do without it or be a sucker.

Last edited:
I was shocked to buy Tiger Woods 10 and find DLC on the very first day - the games companies have always used the excuse of "we love the game, we love working on the game, so while you're playing it if we come up with something cool then we can allow you to prolong the experience".

Now it's blatantly "we're going to make a game, rip 5%-20% of it out and sell it to you, because £40 isn't enough for a 100% complete game as far as we're concerned, we want £43, then £46, then £49..." Hence Jay joking that the football will cost money in FIFA this year.

Also FNR4.........DLC for use of a button configuration on a boxing game!!

This may also be one of the reasons they will not do a stadium builder as it strips out potential money making.

I have said before that if Far Cry can do a huge map builder, then I am sure we could have code for building your own stadium.

Anyhow I think £40 is enough, I for one will not spend anymore money but for those that keep filling the DLC pockets will only re-enforce the gradual stripping down of games in the future.

yeah true, but wouldn't you want a licensed Racecourse Ground from the off?

:LOL: Yep, I certainly would but that's not going to happen even on DLC... ;)

TBH, I wouldn't mind a six month update of say £10-£20, with everything in one hit.
The problem for MM'ers is it can take a few months to play all 15 seasons, having new stuff every few weeks or couple of months that you have to start again to add is crap for me...

We already know the Russian league will be in Fifa old-gen this year...maybe theyll sell it as a DLC for the 360/ps3 version..i would definatly buy it!

What i cant understand is how the online macthes would work with that..supose a guy who bought it picks CSKA to play against a guy that hanst bought it? how would the game deal with it?
thats why i doubt it will be that.

I'm probably going to spend £12 on the ALS so hopefully whatever this is I hope its not something which should be in the game from the start.

@Placebo
This does not change the fact that you are a Fifa fanboy:BOP:

Dude, I've been playing football games on console/PC for more than 25 years, that's before there was an ISS or a WE or a PES or even a Fifa, before EA Sports even existed, if I'm a fanboy of any football game developer it's Anco as Kick Off 2 and Player Manager 2 are IMO the finest examples of the footballing game in its purest form.

Back
Top Bottom