FIFA 10

Hope I can interrupt the semi assisted manuals (see what I did there?).

Marcel Kuhn, the chief for the manager mode in Fifa10, answered my questions in the official Fifa10 forum.

Originally Posted by Sc0rp1o
Hi Marcel Kuhn, thank you for taking the time to inform us on the highly anticipated Manager Mode.

Some questions:

1. Is the bug fixed that if you got promoted from the Championship to the Premier League you would qualify for the ECC?
[MK] Yes - pleeeease! We're working on this at the moment and I think this should be fixed for 10.

2. Can we now add players to a shortlist for easier access afterwards?
[MK] Yes, you can shortlist up to 20 players.

3. Can we trade players (with maybe some extra cash)
[MK] Unfortunately not - something I really wanted in, but when you look at reality this is often talked about (i.e. Van der Vaart + 30 Mil to Munich for Ribery) but rarely actually happens.

4. VERY IMPORTANT! Is there work being done to fix the loans issue? In the real world lower league sides survive by loaning youngsters or unwanted players from higher league levels. Also 2 loans for a whole season isn't realistic.
[MK] As mentioned before, we didn't have too much time to work on loans. I have heard about the 2 loans per season limit and we're looking into it at the moment.

5. Will players become unsettled when they don't play many games and request a transfer?
[MK] In FIFA 10, their form will suffer from not playing.

6. When viewing the league table, will the places for champion, European qualification and relegation be visable (highlighted bars...)
[MK] Great idea, but we didn't have the time to implement this for 10.

7. Will we be able to view other league tables than our own?
[MK] This is a problem we're planning to adress in the longer run. The new match result sim engine will most likely allow us to do this in the near future...but unfortunately not for 10.

8. Are long term injuries now included? (broken leg, whole season out)
[MK] These are already in FIFA 09, they probably trigger to rarely, we'll look into tuning this before release.

9. Will we be able to change our stadium in the Manager Mode? Say you're playing with a lower league side with a small stadium but eventually get them in the premier league, it would be stupid to keep playing in the small stadium...
[MK] You will be able to select and rename your stadium at the beginning of your career.

Thank you so much for your precious time.
[MK] No big deal - thank you for your questions and your feedback.

Good job scorp,

Bit of a mixed bag with the anwsers,

- shame about the stadium they should have that option as a bonus when you get promoted.
- Hope they really adjust the injuries as Ive had a couple longterm when simulating matches but never when actually playing

Not enough time to implement those coloured bars? How long does that take? An hour at most? WTF?

They should also have other league tables. PES has this; so should FIFA.

I thought they had added the option for control settings aswell as team *'s for online?

Well the option for controls schemes is already there. Problem is if you choose a manual game, you'll never find a player as by default it's set to "No Restrictions."

As for team *s, it'll likely be the same situation. Choose to search for only 3 star teams and sit there for a hour before you get a match. And I'd find it hard to believe that EA figured out how to actually force you to stay on three star teams (in this example) should you actually find a match.

As for that Q&A, it's kind of lame that you can't change the stadium up once you actually get promoted. You'd have to start with a lower league team and have them playing, somehow, in a massive stadium from the get-go. As for the rest of it, no long term injuries, no work on loans (we'd found this out a little while ago I think) and nothing done about player morale and demanding transfers. I'm assuming then that team chemistry doesn't play much of a role in this game again. What exactly DID they do?

Well this is what I answered Mr. Kuhn.

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Some feedback I'd like to give.

1. I HAVE had long term injuries in Fifa09 but ALWAYS when simming a match, never when playing the games. Mostly 1 week or 2 weeks tops when playing the games.

2. About the stadium. Maybe you could give us the option of changing the stadium after every promotion instead of at the beginning of a career?

3. Sorry to say this but you can't advertise the game saying that MM now has a realistic transfer system, when obviously the loans aren't realistic.

To get a total of 90% or more at metacritic, I would suggest that any remainging time left to finetune or implement things should be spent with correcting the loans.

Otherwise, great job with the hundreds of improvements you'll be adding this year!

Greetings from Belgium

Hope he responds positively at the negative feedback. :)

And some info from Rutter for the Rory Delap fans.

"weve done some work on player differences again this year. we've a Rory Delap style long throw for people that can do it :)"

Not enough time to implement those coloured bars? How long does that take? An hour at most? WTF?

They should also have other league tables. PES has this; so should FIFA.

Exactly. This could be said for many other simple things they have left out.

Seems like they haven't taken manager mode very seriously yet again.:(

If you think it takes an hour then you haven't been a programmer for very long. Do you seriously think if it took a single hour they wouldn't put it in? And even if it took a relatively small amount of time wouldn't you rather they put that time to use on something fundamental to the gameplay and the longevity of the mode rather than some coloured bars to show something you can figure out yourself?

You'd be amazed at how the months fly by when you're programming and trying to fit everything in. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see it but they work every hour God sends and then some, and if they said an (extra) hour was spent on fine-tuning the amount of injuries you get in a season instead, I'd much prefer that.

Last edited:
That animation aswell as the defender lunging to clear the ball looks excellent.

To the Arsenal fans out there, would Theo ever do that trick in real life, does he have it in his locker?

no not atm but he is capable of doing a trick like that

If you think it takes an hour then you haven't been a programmer for very long. Do you seriously think if it took a single hour they wouldn't put it in? And even if it took a relatively small amount of time wouldn't you rather they put that time to use on something fundamental to the gameplay and the longevity of the mode rather than some coloured bars to show something you can figure out yourself?

You'd be amazed at how the months fly by when you're programming and trying to fit everything in. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see it but they work every hour God sends and then some, and if they said an (extra) hour was spent on fine-tuning the amount of injuries you get in a season instead, I'd much prefer that.

Ah Chris, I wish you worked at my place :)

Can I give you the phone number of my Product Manager ;)

Go ahead, you need more credit for the work you do on...

...wait a minute, Pro Evo??

GET OUT!!

Chris the duration it takes to add a coloured bar depends on the framework they used apon building the game. if its designed to easily add cosmetic GUI features in then it can definitely be done in an hour or so.

i agree to an extent that if there are better things to work on then they should work on those instead but if it takes only an hour to apply then its hardly going to dent the other more important tasks,

Hope I can interrupt the semi assisted manuals (see what I did there?).

Marcel Kuhn, the chief for the manager mode in Fifa10, answered my questions in the official Fifa10 forum.

8. Are long term injuries now included? (broken leg, whole season out)
[MK] These are already in FIFA 09, they probably trigger to rarely, we'll look into tuning this before release.

Really worries me seeing that, he obviously hasn't played MM (what with not knowing loans are only 2x12 months), it's impossible not to know that the injury system is fundamentally broken as 999 times out of 1,000 the injury is 7 days, don't even think I ever had a 14 day injury, why have injury prone as a trait when injury prone players are no more likely to get injured than players without it? And to say "they are already in Fifa09" is really a misrepresentation, having played 10-15 seasons on Fifa09 I know they're not in there, having them occasionally happen when simulating matches does not classify as "in there" IMO.

I now have the feeling I need to add injuries to the list of things Fifa10's MM will disappoint me about :(

i have to agree there, if they have easy to access menus in some sort of graphical format you don't need any programming skill at all to implent some colored bars into the table - okay, you have like 20 leagues to do overall but come on, seriously?

the small bits, that is where ea allways disappoints, sorry. allways have and seems like they continue to do so.

Probably slightly negative, but I wasn't that impressed with the video from the little you could see. It didn't look very 'fluid', and the ball trajectory from the freekick looked a bit scripted.

Tbh, I just want freer dribbling, quicker close control, smarter AI, quicker reponse times. And most importantly, MORE VARIETY OF GOALS. It's ridiculous that you sometimes know when you shoot from a particular area it'd never go in, and you find people constantly running at certain angles knowing the shot will always fire in. This is a massive problem and it makes games really repetitive.

StuartCulli@ruttski has anything changed in Fifa10? The game looks exactly the same. The situations look identical, i.e the one on ones. Not impressed.
10 minutes ago from web

:SHAKE:

I disagree

I felt it all had amore reality to it. I am not going to get hung up on the ball movement at the moment just look at last years ball on rubber band teasers.

Player movement looks far more fluid and an insight into the keeper AI and the lighting looked improved.

I've watched the trailer a few more times and I wonder if that Walcott cross with his weaker left foot was another pin point cross.

He has already made Fat Frank commit and he has given himself enough time to cross it with his right, so why cross with the left?

Its the little things that count.

Back
Top Bottom