FIFA 10

A ton of player have 5 star skill moves for no reason. They say it's because they have the ability to perform them but fact they don't perform them in game ever!!! So why give them the ability to do something they don't do in real life?

Yea I've had a big problem with this as well... and the most annoying part about it is that you can't edit it, which would be an easy fix. For me the only type of players that should have 5 stars are the Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Ibra types... the best of the best. The most shocking ones ive seen so far is Hugo Almeida (of Portugal) with 5 stars... and in the opposite direction Evra has 2(!!!!). I think having less 5 stars would also add some individuality, so you don't feel like there are Ronaldos on every team.

Yea I've had a big problem with this as well... and the most annoying part about it is that you can't edit it, which would be an easy fix. For me the only type of players that should have 5 stars are the Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Ibra types... the best of the best. The most shocking ones ive seen so far is Hugo Almeida (of Portugal) with 5 stars... and in the opposite direction Evra has 2(!!!!). I think having less 5 stars would also add some individuality, so you don't feel like there are Ronaldos on every team.

Exactly!!! What a more easier way of adding individuality than by just simply rating players skill moves by what they do in real life? That's where the flair trait should also play a role. I don't want it to be like PES in where EVERY player can do a backheel. That's retarded and arcadey.

Evra 2 star dribbler pisses me off. Do these editors not watch a game? And that's for Man Utd. Just imagine what it's like for others. That's why I want to be an editor. But some people don't want to recommend me :CONF:

For some reason all my squads have returned to default, Dunne plays for City again, all my hours of custom tactics and formations gone.

:R1 Cheers EA

I've played a few more games of my MM this weekend and struggled to enjoy it very much. Playing as an underdog team, I've been determined to arrange a compact and organised defence with 10 men behind the ball, focussing on shape and solidity. I'm finding such an approach quite unsatisfying in FIFA 10.

One thing that is bugging me at the moment is the way your centre-backs stand so far off the attackers they're marking; it makes setting up a tight and disciplined defence impossible. Unless the defending side can constantly block the passing lanes with their midfielders, which is very hard to do even some of the time (more on that later), the attacking team can easily slide passes into the strikers' feet while their markers back off and allow them space to turn. - unrealistically so.

It's quite apparent that EA listened to all the people who complained about FIFA 09 saying through balls were too easy and 1v1 chances too frequent. It was a common complaint a year ago, particularly by online players. In FIFA 10 we now have centre-backs who try and stay yards goal-side of attackers, and fullbacks who drop behind the line to cover even more than they used to. I believe attackers are far less inclined to make penetrating runs too. Not terrible in theory, and props to EA for taking on board that feedback, but I just think they haven't got the balance right.

As the manager of the team I should be able to instruct my players how tightly to mark off the ball. I've tried man-marking, I've tried High defensive work-rate, I've tried nudging the positions in Edit Formation, I've tried the offside trap... it's just something built into the AI this year.

The other thing bugging me is that the effect of inertia feels too strong now. Players stop, start and change direction much more sluggishly than in 09. I'm sure everyone has noticed how the LB 'stop dead' move is much less effective than it was in 09, an obvious example of increased inertia.

Again not a terrible idea in theory, but I think the current setting is making player movement feel quite loose, clumsy and much less satisfying. I believe it causes more player collisions, contributing to more occasions of the frustrating 'stumbling' many people complain about.

Defenders under AI control are more easily pulled out of position because they can't change direction quick enough. This is another reason why maintaining a tactical & organised defence is impossible, you end up with AI teammates motoring headlong in various directions and it falls apart clumsily.

Increased inertia exacerbates my first point about the strikers being given too much room. Denying the supply into their feet becomes more crucial than ever, but that task is more difficult than ever because your midfielders have a harder time changing direction to stay in those passing lanes, even using the jockey button.

You could even propose that these complications become yet another reason (of many) why most FIFA players hammer the pressure button constantly. It's really the only effective way to defend now that the loose marking and increased inertia makes tactical 'containment' defending even more difficult.

Last edited:
Any other PES converts, after initially loving the game, gone back to the opinion that EA make crap football games?
I can't play more than 1 or 2 six min matches any more, it is just lacking in too many areas. I think I will trade it in and give PES a go.

I have both now and I'm sorry but PES doesnt even compete with FIFA. Clunky and restricted best describes PES for me. I also play on manual as I enjoy having the freedom of doing excactly what I want. PES is pure assisted. My fault should have rented first. Have to trade it in for MW 2

For some reason I can't play online with one of my friends, no matter what approach we take (via the lobbies or "head to head against friend") we simply haven't been able to play one single game since FIFA 10 came out - just keep on getting the "frozen team selection screen" and "timeouts"!?!?!!

Anyone have any ideas?

One thing that is bugging me at the moment is the way your centre-backs stand so far off the attackers they're marking; it makes setting up a tight and disciplined defence impossible. Unless the defending side can constantly block the passing lanes with their midfielders, which is very hard to do even some of the time (more on that later), the attacking team can easily slide passes into the strikers' feet while their markers back off and allow them space to turn. - unrealistically so.

As the manager of the team I should be able to instruct my players how tightly to mark off the ball. I've tried man-marking, I've tried High defensive work-rate, I've tried nudging the positions in Edit Formation, I've tried the offside trap... it's just something built into the AI this year.

The other thing bugging me is that the effect of inertia feels too strong now. Players stop, start and change direction much more sluggishly than in 09. I'm sure everyone has noticed how the LB 'stop dead' move is much less effective than it was in 09, an obvious example of increased inertia.

Defenders under AI control are more easily pulled out of position because they can't change direction quick enough. This is another reason why maintaining a tactical & organised defence is impossible, you end up with AI teammates motoring headlong in various directions and it falls apart clumsily.

Increased inertia exacerbates my first point about the strikers being given too much room. Denying the supply into their feet becomes more crucial than ever, but that task is more difficult than ever because your midfielders have a harder time changing direction to stay in those passing lanes, even using the jockey button.

Great post as you really hilight one of my biggest issues with the game, which I'd say probably has the biggest effect on the gameplay as it leads directly to goals. In the box defenders sit way too far off the strikers, where they can get the ball and turn while you scramble with your defender to try and block the shot (also making it easy for the attacker to then fool you with a change of direction). This is even worse online with auto passers when if there is even a little lag, you're totally screwed.

Same thing with your comment about there being too much inertia... this goes hand in hand with what me and my bro call 'shading', meaning the defender might move to cover the outside leaving the inside wide open, and by the time you've taken control and try to overcome the inertia of the direction the player was moving, you're toast.

On the other end ironically, higher up the pitch defenders still play way too close to attackers, leaving themselves open to through balls still. And one of the problems that's been in there since '08 is that inexplicably, if you give the ball away, EVERY SINGLE defender will take a step forward, very often leading to a simple through ball leading to a goal. These issues are some of the most important for them to address in 11.

Imagine your connection is like two cans separated by a piece of string, he's saying you might have some dried jizz on one end of the string which is muffling the sound..........

Imagine your connection is like two cans separated by a piece of string, he's saying you might have some dried jizz on one end of the string which is muffling the sound..........

OK, so how come I can play games with other people on my "friends list"?!??

Could someone tell me what exactly it is I do to sort this annoying problem!?!

Look out for ps3 nat config on google. There's plenty of pages explaining you what you have to do, mostly activating some things in your router (some communication modes and some ports).

The reason why you can play "some" people is too complex, but believe me having a NAT problem is the most common problem people doesn't know they have in the next-gen world.

Have luck googleing.

So I put FIFA 09 in the disc tray last night.

I only played one match, and I'm very wary of making knee-jerk reactions about this. I did, however, enjoy those 90 match-minutes more than I'd enjoyed my last 450ish match-minutes in FIFA 10.

It played a more responsive, tighter and more tactically satisfying game. Markers stuck closer to their assignments, attackers attempted more penetrative runs. Defenders that I switched control to could start moving and jockeying within the same century of the switch. I didn't feel like I was fighting my defenders all the time to be in the right place.

In the couple of weeks post FIFA 10's release I described it to a friend as 'more organic'. At this current moment I'm doubting if that's turned out to be a positive thing after all.

In the past I've always been dismissive of people who have turned their nose up at new versions of either FIFA or PES, usually finding that they are blinded by nostalgia and just need to get used to the changes for a bit. But I have played over fifty matches of FIFA 10 now, which is a suitably fair crack by most standards.

I did try to go back once previously. The initial disappointment of PES 2008 drove me to re-load PES6, a version I'd thoroughly enjoyed for twelve months, but (ironically) found it comparitively rigid and unwieldy in retrospect. Patching/editing 2008 up to the eyeballs enabled me to find the fun after all and I left PES6 behind.

My return to FIFA 09 initially felt more positive than that, so I'm going to experiment between 09 and 10 for a few evenings. I suppose technically I could include PES 2010 in the experiment, but let's not get carried away...

And hey, look, a Manager Mode that isn't totally broken. With no dodgy Form system. And (sort of) selectable weather. And better 'keepers. And did I miss the 360 dribbling... noticed its absence a little, not hugely.

Who knows. I'll give both another go tonight and maybe I'll be posting tomorrow that 09 sucks, we'll see.

Nerf, i still play PES on PS2, because imo it plays better than next gen PES. It's all about gameplay for me. I enjoyed my 2009 ML very much. The next gen PES (i got 2010 on Xbox and i'm still assessing it) just feels clunky. I actually can't feel much player individuality as of yet, in next gen 2010 too.

Last night, after a good few games of PES, i then immediately played FIFA10 (the first game, was the same match as my last game on PES - Wigan v. Hull) and for me at least, as a next gen footie game, it plays a lot better. I rather enjoyed this Jordi Gomez goal http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/13244787

I will most likely play PS2 2010. If it's no good, i will revert to either 2009 or trusty PES5.

Sorry for all the PES talk. I included a FIFA goal for good measure :LOL:

Cant find myself ever wanting to play this. Always picking up NBA or Rock band instead. For a bloke obsessed with footy thats pretty bad imo. I feel as if every game i will score the same goals - 1v1's, some random glitches/mistakes, same angles/patterns to create space. What made PES great for so long was its unpredictability - i was always going back to try and play better.

In FIFA, why bother? I can play the angles i know can score and just do it that way. Any other way is pressured to oblivion and im far from the perfect player who is able to play through it.

I've been playing for well over a week but I can't seem to be able to shoot worth shit (on semi-manual) and I'm in dire need of advices...is there a trick to it or what (pro-tip: I'm coming from 10 years of Winning Eleven's so that's most likely the reason why I haven't gotten accustomed yet)?

I've been playing for well over a week but I can't seem to be able to shoot worth shit (on semi-manual) and I'm in dire need of advices...is there a trick to it or what (pro-tip: I'm coming from 10 years of Winning Eleven's so that's most likely the reason why I haven't gotten accustomed yet)?

It's hard mate, I found it difficult coming from a PES background and TBH, I found 10 slightly harder than 09 on the shooting front.

Going back to PES2010 I could bang screamers off with ease, but after a while I found it too easy, in FIFA 10 the best advise I can give is get off sprint, know your player and his favoured foot and if possible get composed first.

I know it's not much help but it's hard to get many good shooting chances in the game. The tactics edits work as you don't get hounded by two players all the time but at the end of the day it's about practice in game or against defenders rather than 1 on 1 in the arena...

OK, so how come I can play games with other people on my "friends list"?!??

Could someone tell me what exactly it is I do to sort this annoying problem!?!

had the same problem, basically

opened up ALL the ports needed in my router and it worked after that.

Shooting is easy. Just remember that aiming this year is in relation to the players position. Don't try to pick out corners also.

Is there any (working) way to play a 2v2 match? When I create an teamplay game, nobody can see my room, I can only invite 1 friend when i want to invite 3 friends. lalala is this??? Is there any "trick" to make it work? I would really like to play 2v2. Thanks :CRY:

Last night I played the first half of Frankfurt v Hoffenheim on FIFA 09, then repeated that on FIFA 10 immediately afterwards with the same settings. I think I preferred the 09 match :ANX:

Back
Top Bottom