FIFA 10

was just leading 2-1 and the cpu then proceeded to score by bundling into my keeper and then scoring from my defender falling over my own keeper. they score the winning goal a minute later.

gues how.

shot hits the fucking cross bar and post and their striker taps it in.

thats the most scripted bullshit i've seen since Allejo scored from every cross in the world cup in ISS64.

Anybody else had this happen? I did some of the custom tactics mentioned above for a few of the sides to see how it worked, everything was great. Turned off my XBOX, came back to play tonight, and all of a sudden the custom squads are completely f****d. Strikers in goal, starters missing (Friedel on Villa completely gone?), and the tactics missing. Right now I'm looking at the Reserves screen with 7 GKs, all #64 with a rating of 25. EA can't be serious?
Sometimes the Squads file gets corrupted. I don't think anyone knows what causes it, happens rarely but can happen. I had it once in FIFA 09 and once in this version.

Nothing you can do but reset your squads (download the latest) and start again. I've managed to spread custom tactics throughout every club without a problem, thankfully.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/moore-delighted-by-fifa-10-in-japan

Peter Moore has aired his frustration about Western games not doing very well in Japan, and promised to keep pushing EA Sports games there after FIFA 10 did the unthinkable and pierced the top 10.

"One of the frustrations of being an American company attempting to do business in Japan is the insularity of the industry that defends locally-made content and looks down on games from abroad," Moore wrote on his blog this week.

"I appreciate this is a unique culture that has very different tastes in entertainment. But while western movies and music can be extremely popular with younger consumers, foreign-developed games have an extremely difficult time breaking through with Japanese gamers. This has frustrated American and European publishers for decades."

Not least Mr Moore, of course, who experienced the phenomenon in his roles as presidents of SEGA of America and head of Microsoft's Xbox and Xbox 360 businesses between 2003 and 2007.

"In the past, we've pointed to things like genre preferences, gameplay mechanics and character art as issues in breaking through in this culture," he continued. "But with simulation sports games, these issues would seem much less relevant - it's typically about the gameplay." As such, he wrote, he was delighted to see FIFA 10 picking up high scores in the Japanese press and delighted again by its chart placement.

"Having said all of that, it is clear we still have work to do in Japan to more fully understand what drives that gamers attraction to sports titles. Let me be clear on this. I recognise that there are many factors that contribute to a gamer's decision to purchase (or not) a particular game, I'd just hate for the gamers in Japan to not get as much enjoyment as the rest of the world out of the best sports game of this console generation.

"Also, we'll continue to do our part to try to better understand the Japanese consumer - with market research, focus groups with gamers of all ages, and feedback sessions with journalists - and continue to improve on the best soccer game in the world."

The latter is a tactic that EA shares with its main football game competition, Konami, and it's not just Japanese journalists with whom the duo speak. Konami publicly sought input from press at an event in France ahead of PES 2010's launch in late October, while EA has contacted European journalists (including Eurogamer) for direct feedback on FIFA 10 in recent weeks

Funniest comment posted:

"Maybe something along the lines of renaming it "Super Team Fighting Soccer Tournament Extreme Edition 10: Re-Genesis Saga". And of course launch an obligatory 6-part feature length anime series along side it, a DS RPG, and possibley generate as many blocky figurines as possible - although Wayne Rooney's block-like figurine would actually have quite a resemblance.

\runs away from virtual EG football mob & Japanophiles "

I just cant help feeling as if Eurogamer amongst others have their heads stuck far up EA's arses.
Very true, how any game can get an 9/10 (in Eurogamer's case) or even an 8/10 when there are so many design faults and obvious bugs/glitches in it is beyond me...

If anyone had playtested FIFA 10 for any decent length of time, they would see that there are serious problems...

What were these ratings even based on?
If it's offline play against the CPU in random games, the guys were either very lucky in that they chose teams with realistic custom tactics and miraculously didn't encounter CPU cheating, or they don't know much about football. Probably the latter.
If it's offline against another human, they must have been lucky in that both players played the game properly on manual, or they don't know much about football. Probably the latter.
If it was from Manager Mode, they are simply blind and stupid.
It would be unlikely they are judging it from online play, as I doubt they would be able to get a game at that early stage, and if they did it would be highly unlikely they got a good realistic game which resembled football.

I still think FIFA is a good game, don't get me wrong, it's just that 8 or 9 out of 10 is a ridiculous score for a game with so many faults. I'd give it 6/10 at the very most, and that's when it's played fairly and realistically by two decent manual players, and that in itself is a rare occurrence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would have to agree with Rob and give it a 6/10. The first few hours of playing the game I would have given it an 8 but now after many hours I just find the game to be frustrating and boring.
Frustrating because there is a very good engine there it just has not been used very well and boring because the team mate ai is just so pedestrian, it reminds me of PES 2008.

Here are the answers from the latest set of questions I sent across to the dev team at the end of last week.

1. Hi, is there/will there be a patch 3 that will change the gameplay??

I.e address the 5ft keepers and the way they rush off their line all the time. In your earlier post you mentioned the keepers are better in 10 than 09. I strongly disagree. The keepers are awful. Last night our midget keeper got lobbed but the ball was coming straight to his hands. Instead of catching it he spun round in mid air and punched the ball in the net for an own goal. I as strongly dispute that the AI has been upped to world class. Ever since the update (xbox 360) the keepers seem worse!.

Any info would be appreciated as this is one area that is killing an otherwise great game.

Currently there are no plans for any additional updates as mentioned with the release of Update2.

2. Philip,

Was wondering if the Dev team could or would give further information or explanation on what "technical limitations" are hindering them. The arfore mentioned "limitations" have been given in answers several times.

"Technical Limitations" is a bit of a wishy-washy answer and not much better than "because we said so". Customers would certainly appreciate specific reasons why their procieved bugs and issues can not or will not be addressed.

Cheers.

DR - The limitations are set by Microsoft and refer to the size limits on updates. At this point we’re unable to include any further improvements to the game because the 360 doesn’t support it. We’re hopeful that Microsoft address this limitation in the future.

3. Hello PWride,thanks for all answers. I wonder will EA people fix main problem in MM witch is getting extra points after season ends for played 4 FRIENDLY matches before season started.

Those points are show in Manager's History in MM menu and after played whole season games computer aggregate points for season and friendly this 4 games. It's totally unrealistic. Please fix it bacause MM now is unplayable bacause of this cheat.

Best regards from Poland ;-)

MK - These points only show in the Manager History as it tracks all your games as a Manager per season. Since this has no affect on the league table hence the playability of MM is not affected by this as at all.

4. Can we please, please, please get the "game session no longer available fixed"

I have asked hundreds of people about this issue(and took a poll) and we have nearly 80-20% saying its affecting their enjoyment....we just dont believe its down to impatience!

DR - We’ve been looking at this a huge amount since we started to hear rumblings about it. Even game team members who have been playing at home have had this happen – so we know it’s there. We collect logs from all the games played to basically check the ‘players’ status’ during online matches. What we’ve found in all cases is that one player has backed out of the lobby whilst the other player is joining. Whilst we can’t determine why one player has backed out – they have. I’ve used the term impatience – because I have had this happen to me on a poor connection when it took a very long time for the squad download to occur. It might not be impatience – but at the moment it’s the only way the team can get this to happen. Our Live Team has been working with some community members to log behaviours in more detail but has yet to be able to have this issue occur ‘by accident’ or from a bug. But we are still looking because we know it’s painful from personal experience.

5. One other question... is a 5-a-side mode being considered for FIFA 11? (as in the no throw-ins/goal kicks/corners etc version of the game.... not the 5v5 online mode)

DR - 5-a-side as in indoor footy has been discussed at great length for a long time here. But at the moment we don’t have firm plans to include it in the future.

6. Every manager mode i start freezes on simulation of games either the day before the first cup game in september or after the game. I am a UK xbox 360 user and i have the patch.

I bought this game for manager mode mainly as it is what i enjoy and now i am stuck with a very expensive shinny drinks coaster. Before the patch i went through a full season but started again when the patch was released and can't even get through september. I don't understand why a patch would be released which breaks part of the game.

Do you have any advice or timeframe an fixing your game.

DR - Cheers for flagging this up. Could you provide us with the team you are using and the steps to get there. We’ve not seen this issue in the studio.

MK - As you said, more details are required, what team / cup / season and so on is the player in? When does his game crash, as he clicks on “Next Match”, when the match is done – did he lose / win / tie and so on.

7. Dear EA

Firstly, allow me to congratulate you for the great game that FIFA10 is. I was a long time PES player before FIFA09 and with FIFA10, not only has the gameplay matched PES, it has surpassed it.

However, I have to express my disappointment at the absence of a little feature in FIFA10 which has caused a huge ripple effect for players across the globe. The absence of matching players from your region, like in FIFA09, is to blame.

I have spent hundreds of hours on FIFA09's Online Team Play and have played some truly wonderful games with players from my region. The main reason why this was possible was because of the quality of the connection. I am from Asia and it is impossible to be matched with European players and enjoy a game due to the lag in response.

In FIFA10's Online Team Play, selecting Quick Match would pit you against players from around the globe automatically. While it is appealing to play against global opponents, it is also extremely frustrating to find that most games are unplayable.

Now, even creating a match room is inconvenient. To do this, I'd have to select Custom Match and change one of its values and wait for it to time out before the option becomes available. Even after creating my own match room, I'd be paired up with faraway players who would now be experiencing the lag. They'll usually quit soon after, which is totally understandable.

A phenomenon has started because of this. I have observed that the Japanese players have started to form their own rooms in Online Lobbies. This effectively forces many non-Japanese players like myself into the wilderness, leaving us with not many to play with.

I am pleading with you to bring back the basic features from FIFA09's Online Team Play. Save us from the wilderness and allow us to enjoy the great game that you have created.

CL - Creating rooms in Online Lobbies is actually the best way to guarantee matches against opponents from the same region. I would do that.

8. Will players who play online be able to upload their goals that they have scored on ranked head to head matches?

DR - We don’t currently support the upload of online replays – but we’re planning to support this in FIFA 11.

9. When will we see the brazilian commentary to download?

CL – No Brazilian commentary this year unfortunately.

10. Hi PWride,

Just to let you and the guys know that the patch has NOT fixed the PS3 head-to-head match disconnection, I'm actually being disconnected from more matches now than I was pre-patch.

Dave

Thanks for letting us know, the online team are continuing to look into this.

11. Ok here is how these happen i was playing FIFA 10 Clubs with my friends...

Then when we pass the halftime my calification change from 9.3 to 1.0.....
is that normal? is it bug? or glitch then i score 3 or 2 times and get it up to 7.0 i think these happen to everyone because i played 10 minutes ago Be A Pro Ranked and the other 2 mates at the my team happen the same from 8.9 to 1.2

CL - We have never seen this issue ourselves, however have heard about it. We are actually playing Club games every night, to try and see issues in the real environment.
If you see it happen again, please tell us the club name, the gamertags, and when the match was played.

12. Will the 'chesting' bug be resolved?

Volleys are almost non-existent in FIFA 10 and there's a defensive 'bug' (I would call it a bug) where often my defenders will chest the ball rather than immediately attempt to clear it. Several times this has resulted in a striker simply running *through* my defender whilst obtaining the ball with a seamless tackle by taking it off my chest, allowing them to run on through to a 1 on 1.

Seems to particularly happen against players like Drogba with high str.

Cheers!

As mentioned previously there are currently no plans for any gameplay updates.

13. Hi, is it possible if you could fix the rare occurence of wearing a white kit in snow in online ranked match, its very hard to see

DR - Unfortunately we don’t set the kits you’re wearing – theres not kit clash logic in the game. Sorry.

14. Thx for answering all those questions.

Before I start a new Manager Mode, I'd like to know if the third update with tactics adjustments will take effect in an allready excisting manager mode save game. Or do we need to wait for the third patch to begin this mode?

Cheers

MK - If you want the latest rosters to be used in MM you will have to restart after the squad update – existing MM saves will not be updated as probably a large amount of changes to default Player Database have happened since the user started the MM.

For example, a player that has moved from team x to y in reality might have moved to team z in the 1st MM transfer period, we can’t simply remove this player from the club he transferred to in MM as this would break the system (i.e. # of players on team, transfer budget available and so on).

Thanks to everyone for posing these questions.

Seems that they're merely brushing aside the more serious issues in the gameplay in a "like it or lump it" fashion.

The tactics/squad updates are the only thing which will change this game until Fifa 11, I guess.

I was playing Fifa the other day and i I can't help but feel it has been half-arsed this year. Is it just me? From the title intro to the options to the CPU AI. It all seems like it was started, left and then quickly bundled together for launch.

Have you also noticed that your players are slow to react to situations? Slow as all hell infact. Meanwhile if you nick the ball off the CPU you have to pull off somethin pretty cute to get the ball around all that pressure.

Agree the more I play the less time I feel has gone into this years title, I fear they have been working on this and the World cup title at the same time... I don't care what anyone says regarding how hard it is to be a programmer, for such a large company I don't see 12 months work from 09...

I was playing Fifa the other day and i I can't help but feel it has been half-arsed this year. Is it just me? From the title intro to the options to the CPU AI. It all seems like it was started, left and then quickly bundled together for launch.

Have you also noticed that your players are slow to react to situations? Slow as all hell infact. Meanwhile if you nick the ball off the CPU you have to pull off somethin pretty cute to get the ball around all that pressure.

Weird enough i get that feeling when playing PES2010, evan on pc with all the pacthes and such.

Btw, im enjoying FIFA10 very much, finding Adidas Live Season quite interesting to play... had to buy that after MM went numb.

i hate that they wont be releasing any patches on ps3 just because the xbox (microsoft) have a limit.

ITS NOT SONY'S FAULT......FIX THE GOD DAMN PS3 VERSION

Sadly this is purely politics. Multiplatform companies almost never make one version miles better than another (ignoring Ghostbusters for visuals and most of the early multiplats). What would the X360 rabble do if the PS3 version was fixed? Go absolutely mental at EA. The same would be true the other way around.

It's not just MS's policies that are holding things back for PS3 users; issues with the lack of a definitely-there storage space on X360 is preventing HDD saves on PS3, and if I understood what people have said in the past correctly, the additional languages for the X360 version are download only but on the PS3 version? So the disc size is another obstacle. I'd also speculate that the DVD was what stopped EA putting the 'Man Utd vs Liverpool' etc etc prematch jabber on FIFA 09.

No, I'm not fanboying! Just saying that sadly the advantages the PS3 does have are going to be waylaid.

Bang on there mate. It really is a stunning mode and really has the potential in the next few years to grow even further. Fully customizable teams/kits etc. :BOP:

I want EA to give us the individuality traits for our VP's
For exmaple:
The Superstar (i.e. Ronaldo & Drogba) - The prima donna that always wants the ball at his feet. The guy that if you don't give him the ball will constantly be moaning on the field and sulking also if nothing is going his way on the day.

The Destroyer ( i.e. Gattuso & Keane) - The guy that really takes physicality to another level. This is the guy that when there is a 50/50 challenge he's the one that doesn't mind going through a player to get the ball. These are the only players that should be able to tackle like you can in FIFA where you can run over people to get the ball. Everyone else should tackle in a more subtle manner.

The Flair Player (i.e. Ronaldinho) - The guy that when on song can pull off all the flicks, tricks and no look passes possible.

The Tank (i.e. Drogba, Ronaldo, Adriano) - The guy that no centerback can stop when running with a full head of steam side by side.

Stuff like that I think would be awesome. A lot of these things are there they just have to make it stand out more and not be given to every player on the field.

I want EA to give us the individuality traits for our VP's
For exmaple:
The Superstar (i.e. Ronaldo & Drogba) - The prima donna that always wants the ball at his feet. The guy that if you don't give him the ball will constantly be moaning on the field and sulking also if nothing is going his way on the day.

The Destroyer ( i.e. Gattuso & Keane) - The guy that really takes physicality to another level. This is the guy that when there is a 50/50 challenge he's the one that doesn't mind going through a player to get the ball. These are the only players that should be able to tackle like you can in FIFA where you can run over people to get the ball. Everyone else should tackle in a more subtle manner.

The Flair Player (i.e. Ronaldinho) - The guy that when on song can pull off all the flicks, tricks and no look passes possible.

The Tank (i.e. Drogba, Ronaldo, Adriano) - The guy that no centerback can stop when running with a full head of steam side by side.

Stuff like that I think would be awesome. A lot of these things are there they just have to make it stand out more and not be given to every player on the field.

I'd like to see you being able to have a couple of VPs on the go and for them to not be able to get every single achievement. RPGs nowadays tend to blur the lines between player classes but you still end up specializing to some extent, which I enjoy doing. If I get bored of twatting people with swords, I just create a different type of player and play again.

You should be able to describe roughly what kind of player you want to be (maybe choosing a couple of general descriptions form a list like the above?) and then stick to that sort of route, with some variance. A 17 year old John Terry was never going to become a flair player, for example. Ashley Cole started off as a forward and ended up becoming a fullback, but much of that was built on getting him to use his pace to make adventurous forays forward; it was only after a number of years of intense training that he became as gifted defensively as he now is.

Also - at the moment there is a real sense that levelling up your player is about looking at what you need to do and then chasing that target, rather than having your style of play indirectly rewarded. I'd say EA should make three of each block of six achievements secret, not one. Maybe replace the current 'secret' achievement with one that relies on several other achievements being unlocked. You aren't a flair player just by running past people, for example. What about first time passes, assists, backheels, beating players with tricks, nutmegging someone etc?

Players should play the way they want their character to play and then get their stat boosts, rather than think "right, I'm going to just pass to my VP all the time until he beats 5 players so he becomes a flair player". Getting the 5 star skills achievements was a rather empty achievement IMO, just doing everything in the arena. Getting the weaker foot stars is so much harder, and rightly (or leftly) so.

Last edited:
Also about the flair trait does it make that big a difference? It doesn't stand out enough for me.

It unlocks rabonas, the L2+Lob scoop, those double backheel passes (like the back-forwards L2 trick but it passes to a player) and other little animations like that. It probably does more but those are the things I've noticed so far.

I think it's a bit weird to think that players who can do rainbow flicks or the Ronaldinho backheel fake can also not have flair ratings. Personally I think the rainbow flick (that's what it's called isn't it? The heel flick over your head?) should be removed or given to those three or four players who have ever done it in real life. At least Owen Hargreaves can't do it anymore...

Incidentally I also think Rooney should only have four stars.

It unlocks rabonas, the L2+Lob scoop, those double backheel passes (like the back-forwards L2 trick but it passes to a player) and other little animations like that. It probably does more but those are the things I've noticed so far.

I think it's a bit weird to think that players who can do rainbow flicks or the Ronaldinho backheel fake can also not have flair ratings. Personally I think the rainbow flick (that's what it's called isn't it? The heel flick over your head?) should be removed or given to those three or four players who have ever done it in real life. At least Owen Hargreaves can't do it anymore...

Incidentally I also think Rooney should only have four stars.
A ton of player have 5 star skill moves for no reason. They say it's because they have the ability to perform them but fact they don't perform them in game ever!!! So why give them the ability to do something they don't do in real life?

About the flair trait - today I performed a great first time ball roll backwards to a teammate in clubs. Was the best worked goal I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Any other PES converts, after initially loving the game, gone back to the opinion that EA make crap football games?
I can't play more than 1 or 2 six min matches any more, it is just lacking in too many areas. I think I will trade it in and give PES a go.

A great news for all the Fifa 10 Lovers.

All the tools of Rinaldo will now be available here too soon.

To visit the official site of the tools, click on the link in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom